A LEGEND IS BORN II

A collection of memorable stories from NBA 2K's franchise and career modes.

A LEGEND IS BORN II

Postby Fresh8 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:36 am

A Legend Is Born II
A NBA 2K9 Seattle Stealth Association

The NBA has gone back to Seattle.

Follow this story, which promises intrigue and a couple of surprises at every corner!

I hope I can keep you guys entertained. Won’t be many pictures in here so unless you like reading (Because it might end up a little like this), I don’t think I will have much to offer you guys. Otherwise: enjoy!

Association Settings

Team: Seattle Stealth
Game: NBA 2K9 (Xbox 360)
Season: 82 Games
Quarter Length: 7 Minutes
Sim Length: 12 Minutes
Playoffs: 7-7-7-7

Contents

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Epilogue

Disclaimer: None of the events or characters in this Association Story are real-life portrayals of relate-able events or individuals or organizations. This story is fictitious with no real life basis. If any similarities do occur, it is of mere coincidence. I will also not be held liable for any defamation, libel, or whatever equivalent offense that I may be alleged to have committed.
Last edited by Fresh8 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 414 times in total.
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby Fresh8 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:36 am

Prologue

Howard Schultz wiped the sweat off his forehead with a green handkerchief. It was not the heat outside that made him uncomfortable; it was the angst of waiting for the old Circuit Judge to deliver the Court of Appeal’s judgement to all of those in attendance. Schultz looked across the room and saw Clayton Bennett. Bennet was taking a sip of water from a glass; as calm as one could be. Schultz then looked at Gary Payton sitting next to him on his left. He looked to his right at his attorney. Both of them were just staring ahead into space.
Circuit Judge Gould cleared his throat before addressing the courtroom, “As it was established in the case of Basketball Club of Seattle and Professional Basketball Club, the appellant in this appeal did not act in good faith during their business dealings with the respondent. These acts came to fruition through the intentional use of fraud and misrepresentation by the appellant and the facts from the case heard by the District Court are affirmed by this Court of Appeal.”
Schultz smiled and looked at Payton who was clenching his fist in a sign of victory.
Gould continued, “You, Mr Bennett, as the appellant in this appeal argue that you made reasonable steps in keeping the Seattle Supersonics basketball franchise in the city of Seattle. We have established that you indeed did not. The original contract of sale required you to keep the team in Seattle and you and your group had plans to move the team before you had entered into a contract for the team. Your intentions were to relocate the franchise once you had bought it and had the respondent in this case known these intentions, such a sale of the rights to franchise would not have occurred.”
Clayton Bennett shook his head in disagreement as the Judge continued reading his judgement, “The appellant appeal that the remedy awarded to the respondent was not reasonable. This court affirms the decision made in the District Court and agrees with the notion that both parties should be returned to the positions that they were in before the disputed contractual agreement took place. The contract of sale was breached and thus it is to be void and in light of the agreement being negated, in all fairness, the remedy awarded by the District Court was the fairest choice.”
The Circuit Judge focused his gaze at Bennett and his lawyers, “The license and ownership of the now-defunct Oklahoma City Thunder franchise will be put into a constructive trust. This appeal is to be dismissed.”
“All rise,” the bailiff called out to the court as the Judges stood and exited the courtroom.
Schultz shook hands with his attorney. Bennett had a look of disgust as he left with his team of lawyers. Schultz would wait a few minutes before leaving. He knew that there would be a media frenzy waiting for him outside the courthouse.

The Oklahoma City Thunder was on the Ford Centre court finishing off an intra-squad scrimmage. The players had been told to keep practising until a final decision had been made by the Court of Appeal. Head coach P.J. Carlesimo stopped practise and assembled all of his players at midcourt.
“I’m sorry guys,” he said to the team.
Kevin Durant immediately frowned and had his head down as most of the team’s mood became sombre.
Carlesimo started talking again, “We just heard that the team is going back to Seattle.”
One of the coaching staff called to the group to go over to the side of the court and look at television that was wheeled out next to the bench. The words ‘Breaking News’ ran across the screen. The ticker was showing: ‘LIVE: Court of Appeal affirms District Court decision to strip ownership of Thunder from Clayton Bennett and PBL. Oklahoma City Thunder to relocate back to Seattle, Washington.’ The players and coaching staff huddled around the TV and listened intently to the news anchor.

“In breaking news this afternoon, Circuit Judge Gould has delivered a judgement stating that the Court of Appeal has dismissed the appeal led by Clayton Bennett and his group of attorneys. The Oklahoma City Thunder that has only existed for little more than a month will cease to exist and the franchise will move back to Seattle. We now cross live to Seattle where our reporter Michael Dennis is waiting for former Seattle Supersonics’ chairman Howard Schultz to make a statement.”
The feed went to Seattle and on screen there was a mob of journalists on the court steps. Michael Dennis, a veteran reporter, was jostling for position in the crowd and trying not to be pushed out of the view of the camera.
“Thank you Cindy! And we are here outside the Seattle Court of Appeal waiting for Howard Schultz to come out. We just had a quick chat to Clay Bennett who was very disappointed and he has indicated that he will not appeal the decision to the US Supreme Court. In related news, David Stern and the NBA have not made any statements on this case and it seems that they will be keeping quiet about this hot topic. It remains to be seen what happens with the Thunder team and whether the team will retain their Sonics’ name and… and there is Howard Schultz!”
Dennis turned around quickly and followed the other reporters towards Schultz who was walking down the stairs with his lawyers, police, and Gary Payton following behind them. Cameras were clicking as microphones and recorders were stuck in Schultz’s face.
One man shouted, “Mr Schultz! Are you pleased with the result of this case?”
Schultz answered, “Yes, we are very pleased and we are feeling very good that we decided to proceed with legal action despite the fact that we thought we didn’t have much of a chance a few months ago. I am sure that the city of Seattle and the fans of the Sonics are going to be ecstatic. I am sure they are. NBA basketball is returning.”
“Mr Schultz,” a lady asked very quickly; she seemed like she was about to run out of breath, “What are your plans with the Thunder?”
“We are going to move the team back to Seattle. As you know, the NBA has not been very cooperative and it looks like some of the Thunder will now lose their jobs. A final decision won’t be made until I have sold the team and perhaps we will know more in the near future.”
Dennis chimed in, “Is it true that Gary Payton is leading a consortium to gain the license to the franchise? Is Mr Payton planning on becoming the manager of the team?”
Schultz made a quick glance over his shoulder at Payton and then turned his focus back onto the reporters, “I can’t comment on that sorry. I’m sorry guys but it’s been a very long day at court and I will not be taking any more questions. I will schedule a press conference later on this week so thank you for your time.”
Two burly police officers stepped in front of Schultz and started to push through the media throng, creating a path for the group to get to a car. Schultz and Payton hopped into the backseat and they drove off towards Schultz’s office. Schultz’s lawyers were following in the car behind them. It was time to talk business.
Last edited by Fresh8 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
Fresh8

Postby Fresh8 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:37 am

In order to make sense of the story so far...

Schultz Will Go Ahead With Lawsuit
Sonics’ former chairman does a backflip, will take Clay Bennett and PBL to court
September 5, 2008

By Tim Robbins
P-I Reporter

In a surprising move, former Seattle Supersonics’ chairman Howard Schultz and his team of lawyers have submitted a lawsuit to the District Court. It is expected that with the NBA pre-season approaching quickly, both parties in this litigation have advised the Oklahoma City Thunder, who released their new name and team colours just two days ago, to continue preparing for the upcoming NBA season.

It was only last week that Schultz announced that he would drop the case against Clayton Bennett and PBL. Schultz’s attorney Richard Yarmuth released a statement on his client’s behalf: ‘Although my client, Howard Schultz, shared the opinion of others that any prospective case against PBL and the NBA would be regarded as a ‘long-shot’ in regard to success; he has decided that it is in the best interests of the city of Seattle to try anything to get their NBA team back.’

The bold move from Schultz caught the NBA by surprise who had been trying hard to prevent the case from going ahead. NBA commissioner David Stern is yet to make a formal statement. The NBA put in a motion to the courts in July and was later told that they had the right to intervene in the matter at hand. However, a confident Yarmuth also included a shot at the NBA: ‘…our legal team is confident that the NBA will not want to intervene in this matter as we have proof that could damage the league’s integrity…”

Clay Bennett was unavailable for comment. Court Proceedings are expected to begin in a fortnight.

- - -

Howard Schultz and Team Win Landmark Case

September 26, 2008

SEATTLE (AP) – In a landmark decision, the District Court in Seattle found Clayton Bennett and PBL guilty of fraud and misrepresentation whilst dealing in a business matter. The court found that a key condition in the sale contract was that the team was to be kept in Seattle. However, in email conversations between Bennett’s group, it was proven that PBL had no intention of ever keeping the Sonics’ franchise at home. As a result, the new Oklahoma City Thunder will relocate back to Seattle.

In a dramatic twist of events, Schultz took Bennett and PBL to court despite dropping an earlier pending lawsuit. The earlier lawsuit was revoked by Schultz due to the court ruling that the NBA had a right to intervene in the matter. However, the NBA has remained silent on the issue the second time around when Schultz said he would take legal action. Rumour has it that this was due to the fact that Schultz’s lawyers were able to obtain information that PBL had made payments to David Stern and the NBA.

The District Court has decided that the franchise will be put in a constructive trust allowing it to be sold to a prospective new owner. According to Schultz, the team will only be sold to someone willing to keep the team in Seattle.

It is said that PBL will lodge an appeal.

- - -

Appeal Dismissed: Seattle To Get NBA Team Back

October 9, 2008

SEATTLE (AP) – Seattle officials will need to work fast to get their team back on the floor in time for the beginning of the NBA season, which starts in less than three weeks. The Court of Appeal in Seattle dismissed an appeal sought by Clayton Bennett and PBL, stating that the ruling of stripping PBL of its ownership of the NBA franchise would stand.

“We (PBL) are very disappointed with the decision, especially because of the fact that we are so close to the NBA season,” Bennett told reporters, “I have decided that we will not appeal the decision to the Supreme Court. We will continue to look for a way to gain an NBA team for Oklahoma City. There are definitely going to be many fans disappointed by this decision.”

Howard Schultz’s attorney, Richard Yarmuth, proclaimed his client’s happiness for the decision, “When we began proceedings, everyone stated how this was a long shot (for us to win the case). However, we came out on top as the underdogs and Seattle will be getting their team back! My client and my team would like to thank the courts for giving us a concession and hearing our case first. We appreciate that and now the new Seattle management will have sufficient time to organise a team for the upcoming NBA season.” When quizzed on the future of the Seattle team, Schultz refused to comment.

It is expected that former NBA superstar Gary Payton is leading a consortium to buy the rights to the franchise. Payton, in recent months, has made his intentions clear, to keep the Sonics in Seattle, to the media.
Fresh8

Postby Lamrock on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:55 am

This is already awesome. Great storyline going on. If only this would have happened in real life. I hope to see you keep this going as long as your HOF dynasties.

Small gaffe: You referred to Seattle as being in the state of Oregon, when it is actually in Washington.
Lamrock

Postby Fresh8 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:59 am

Ah yeah! haha... I always get it mixed up. Portland is in Oregon right?

Shows I'm not very good with American geography lol

(EDIT: I also don't know why but when I think The Glove, I think Oregon... however it's been fixed!)
Fresh8

Postby The X on Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:24 pm

Payton did go to Oregon State, so that's probably where you got confused....but yes, Seattle is in the state of Washington....

anyways, good to see you're not going with Lakers....the Sonics will be a good Association to do (Y)
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Clutch on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:31 am

terrific writing and storyline man (Y) and while its hinted at, i'm curious to see how 'the Glove' fits into the overall picture; really glad to see him there

lastly, a request - can you pls bring 'the Rainman' back into the mix somehow? maybe a trainer - that'd be ironic but a hoot!
Clutch
^ Life... currently :\

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:54 am

It's Reignman! Not Rainman.

Reignman:

Rainman:
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Clutch on Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:38 am

shadow, no no actually i had it right; i wasn't talking about Kemp :P j/k
Clutch

Postby Fresh8 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:35 am

Seattle Situation Big Blow To Credibility
NBA’s Integrity Questioned Again

October 11, 2008

By Woody Hannes
ESPN.com Junior Writer

In the latest turn of events, one must be wondering about the legitimacy of the NBA and its administration practices. The whole Seattle situation (ending in a dismissed appeal which means that the Oklahoma City Thunder are no more) has been an embarrassing bungle for David Stern and the league. When I think of the NBA's integirty, it makes me ponder…

… do people want to be following a league that could be perceived as ‘corrupt’?

This story is not based on whether David Stern received payments from PBL. That is for you to form your own opinion on. Those rumours have already done enough damage to Stern’s reputation and the NBA’s credibility. This story is about how the NBA is, once again, in damage control. The drama about NBA referees made some fans believe that the league may be fixed. Results from the past have been ruined with revelations that a certain official was involved in a scandal. Fans don’t know whether their teams were robbed or not. Teams that have won will have fans that wonder if they deserved to win; they might have had a sixth player on the court.

The NBA did a great job in sweeping the issue under the rug. They tried to make I clear that it was only one person and all the blame was put on that one person. They alienated themselves from the problem and people tend to forget quickly. People have forgotten. All of this shows how much it means to the league for them to keep their image clean. There is no denying that recent allegations of bribery have hit home hard.

In a country like the United States, people frown upon this kind of behaviour. Imagine if at your workplace, you had a colleague who wanted another colleague out. They wanted them out so bad that they went to the boss and payed them to get rid of the colleague that they didn’t want around. After paying the boss, the boss proceeds with the task. How would you perceive these people you work with? Would you want to work in a place like that? Would you do business with them?

Take another hypothetical for example. That important business proposal of yours is not accepted because your competition pays for theirs to be taken on board. Your proposal is rejected, not on merit but on money. The circumstances may not be the same but the moral is still there. However, I shall give you a quick rundown of what is alleged to have happened in real life.

A few years ago, PBL bought the Seattle Supersonics. One of the main conditions in the sale was for the team to be kept in the city of Seattle. As we all know, the team eventually moved to OKC after much debate. Former Sonics’ chairman led a suit arguing that PBL breached the sale of contract and that they had misrepresented their desire on where to have the team play. That’s not the issue here. The issue is that when Schultz took PBL to court, Bennett panicked and apparently paid money to the league to do something about it. If this were to have happened (I am saying ‘if’); would you really trust the product that we call the NBA?

The NBA wants to sell themselves as a family friendly and household name. People don’t want to follow a sport where the people responsible for its operation seem to be corrupt.

You may now ask whether this is a big deal. If it was not, league execs would not be secretly asking for David Stern to be stood down. If it was not, the NBA would not have distanced itself from the court drama to the extent that they have not even acknowledged the fact that the NBA will be returning to Seattle. If it was not, the NBA would have filed that motion to intervene in the second time round that Howard Schultz decided to take Clayton Bennett and PBL to court.

The words ‘NBA’s integrity.’ It does make me ponder…
Fresh8

Postby Lamrock on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:17 am

I have a question about this: will you just use the Thunder, then say its the Sonics?
Lamrock

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:41 am

Your question will be answered in the next update. :)
Fresh8

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:01 am

Seattle In Rush To Organise Team
NBA Franchise Asks Fans To Vote For Team Name

October 12, 2008

SEATTLE (AP) -- With little more than a fortnight before the NBA season, the Seattle board has decided that they will not adopt their original Sonics team colors or logo again. After a much-anticipated move to Oklahoma City fell through, the team has returned to Seattle with lots of work to be done.

The team's board has decided on a shortlist of eight team names: Swish, Slayers, Showstoppers, Strike, Stealth, Shock, Steamers, and Slam. A Seattle spokeperson has commented, 'We would love for Sonics' fans and prospective new fans of Seattle basketball to come together and voice their preference on what our new team's name should be. Part of the process of deciding which name to use will be looking at what fans deem as the popular choice.'

The new name, along with the members of the team, will be unveiled to the public on October 22; just a week before the start of the NBA regular season.

In related news, it is reported that the new Seattle board has shown a proposal for the update of Key Arena to the NBA and the league was satisfied with the plans. Meanwhile, all of the now-defunct Oklahoma City Thunder's exhibition games have been cancelled with the new team currently holding workouts to decide their playing roster.
Last edited by Fresh8 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fresh8

Postby The X on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:08 am

I vote for Sonics & suggest you play all their games in retro uniforms (Y)
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:10 am

Sorry X, the Glove has decided to go in a new direction. :P
Fresh8

Postby The X on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:25 am

when I think of Seattle Steamers, I immediately think of Cleveland Steamers :lol: so I vote for the Steamers :lol: that's what they just did to OKC 8-)
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Clutch on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:13 am

it bugs me that GP would feel so compelled to bring his team back... only to change it :? he needs to be FIRED already! :lol:

like X, keeping 'Sonics' would be my 1st choice but of the list? SEATTLE STRIKE. i just like the sound of it (although it might give the player's union ideas...)
Clutch

Postby Lamrock on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:28 am

I write in the Sonics. (Not SuperSonics, Sonics)
Lamrock

Postby Jing on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:24 pm

Seattle Thunder :P

It actually works with the Seattle Storm name.
Jing

Postby jonthefon on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:42 pm

The Seattle Mariners ;)

I'd say just keep the Sonics, history is always good.
jonthefon
Fucking pissed off.

Postby nba_baller on Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:55 pm

Seattle Stealth. Got a ring to it.
nba_baller

Postby OrlMagic on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:52 pm

Seattle Shock or Storm.
http://sanantoniospursdynas.sosblog.com/SASDB-b1.htm
Dynasty in Estonian, not in English , my English is not so good to make a dynasty in English :(
OrlMagic

Postby buzzy on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:15 pm

Jing wrote:Seattle Thunder :P

It actually works with the Seattle Storm name.

Seattle Thunderstorm (Y)
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:55 am

Seattle Slammers
Seattle Blockers
Seattle Stealers
Seattle Jammers

Take a pick.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun