Primed to Ignite :: NBA Live 10 | Rockets fall into 1-3 hole

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: Primed to Ignite [6-3] | T-Mac fails in Dallas, lineups changes & more

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:53 pm

That's a really tough break with T-Mac there. Come to think of it, I do recall getting whistled for what felt like cheap and canned offensive fouls in NBA Live 10. I guess he did extend the arm a bit, so it works for the story, but still. Tough break.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Primed to Ignite [6-3] | T-Mac fails in Dallas, lineups changes & more

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:30 am

Lakers extract revenge on Rockets
Rockets 99 @ Lakers 128
November 15, 2009

T-Mac is enjoying a bit of a resurgence, leading the Rockets with 18.4 PPG. Tonight, he dueled with one of the GOATs.

Houston, TX (AP) -- After handling the Lakers easily at Toyato five games into the season, the Lakers did just the same at Staples Sunday. The Lakers had four players with 20+ as they utterly steamrolled the Rockets.

Vintage T-Mac had 32 in his resurgence, while Von Wafer continues to look just as good as his understudy, with 18 points off the bench.

The Rockets will host the Suns Tuesday night, one of the league's more formidable opponents.

Key Players

Lakers

Derek Fisher: 25 points, 4 assists
    Andrew Bynum: 24 points, 16 rebounds
    Kobe Bryant: 23 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists
    Trevor Ariza: 21 points
    Lamar Odom: 17 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists
    Pau Gasol: 17 rebounds, 8 assists

Rockets

Tracy McGrady: 32 points, 5 rebounds, 5 blocks, 3 assists
    Yao Ming: 18 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 blocks
    Von Wafer: 18 points, 3 steals
    Ron Artest: 11 ponits, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 blocks

Media

phpBB [video]

Artest right into the teeth of the defense.

ESPN

Well, the good news is my undying love for this game lives on while 2K19 is still relatively new.
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite [8-4] | Steamrolled in LA

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:57 am

How did we get here? (simmed games)

W V.S. Phoenix, 111-77
W @ Minnesota, 91-73
W @ Atlanta, 105-94
W V.S. Sacramento, 83-79
W V.S. Dallas 95-86
L V.S. San Antonio, 93-104
W @ OKC, 71-53
W @ LAC, 82-54 (would've played this if they were still somehow undefeated)
W @ GS, 103-79
L @ Portland 84-98

NBA News
:!: Clippers streak finally snapped in New Orleans, 90-111
:!: Deng, Lamar Odom join Okafor to miss 2-3 months with injuires

This leads me into a home date against my Cavaliers, who are 16-5 on the season, tied with Boston to lead the East (with only four +.500 teams); as Andrew recalls, get ready for some Shaq/Ilgauskas frontcourt cheese.

Quarters have been reduced to 10 min. for practicality reasons; difficulty will remain at All-Star as Pro is too easy and at least the sim engine is helping me. :wink:

Side-note: Our upcoming FA class is severe; 9 players :shock:, including T-Mac's huge contract, as well as Yao.
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite [14-6] | Steamrolled in LA + ton of simmed games

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:23 am

Are you going to chase LeBron in the offseason?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:49 pm

Didn't even cross my mind, but not a horrible thought. A lot of it will have to do with how this season fares, cause it should at least be WCF or bust for us.

I do enjoy the mini-game thing that's like "guess the three things this player values most before you can even negotiate with them", cause that adds a level of realism that current 2K games don't even have; like every player doesn't negotiate with every single team irl. Of course, you can always cheat it by figuring out what that player wants and then just reloading a previous save, but I'll probably not do that just to keep things interesting.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:27 pm

Rockets acquire Felton, Diaw in semi-blockbuster deal
Rockets.com

December 9, 2009

Houston, TX (AP) -- After a fairly solid start to the season, the Rockets have decided to shake things up and send Argentinian big man Luis Scola, as well as promising young point guards Aaron Brooks and Kyle Lowry, to the Charlotte Bobcats in exchange for Boris Diaw, Raymond Felton and Carlos Arroyo. Charlotte will get cap relief with Lowry and Scola coming off the books at season's end, ditto Felton and Arroyo for Houston, though both teams have reasons to invest in all players involved: the Rockets acquire a big man they see more fit of playing alongside Yao Ming; Diaw is more than capable of setting Yao up in all the right spots, and can stretch the floor further than Scola. Felton is also a player who is more capable of playing at the Rockets' half-court pace, pitching and catching with Yao.

tl; dr: I acquired two fat, slow players cause I like to play slow. :lol: High IQ though, and potentially a better fit.
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite [14-6] | Steamrolled in LA, ton of simmed games & trade

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:36 pm

I miss the negotiation mini-game. It's the kind of depth the current Franchise mode desperately needs. Hopefully LeBron doesn't just immediately re-sign, so that you can have a shot at him.

Definitely an interesting trade. Here's hoping it pans out!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Breems on Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:31 pm

Good to see you back! Pretty interesting trade there. Can't believe you haven't gone after Jaric yet.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby [Hyperize] on Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:50 am

Game Preview
Cavaliers (16-5) @ Rockets (14-6)
December 9, 2009

Probable Starters

Cleveland Cavaliers

ImageImageImageImageImage
    - M. Williams --- D. West --- L. James ---- S. O'Neal -- Z. Ilgauksas

Houston Rockets

ImageImageImageImageImage
    -- R. Felton --- R. Artest --- S. Battier ---- B. Diaw ----- Y. Ming

Injury Report
    None

Notes: Diaw and Felton are slated to play (and start) after being acquired by the Rockets this morning; Adelman will further toy with his starting lineup after bringing Ron Artest off the bench earlier in the season, electing to bring Tracy McGrady off this time, to act as the scoring leader for the second unit.

Tipoff: 8:00 PM EST
    Watch: ESPN
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite [14-6] | Preview vs. Cavs!

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:31 am

Rockets with huge win against East-best Cavs
Cavs 110 @ Rockets 111
December 9, 2009

phpBB [video]

McGrady drills a go-ahead three with the Rockets trailing by two with 3.2 remaining.

Houston, TX (AP) -- This was like that game against Dallas where McGrady fumbled and turned over the final possession with an offensive foul, but this time he did good, nailing a go-ahead three off a P&R with Ron Artest to seal a one-point Rocket win, and an ensuing eruption of Toyota Center.

McGrady came into the game midway through the second quarter (at PF, of all positions) and absolutely erupted, with 17 points in 7 minutes by halftime :shock:; he would go on to finish with 40 points (14-24 from the field [4/6 3PT & 8/8 FT]), 12 assists, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks in 29 minutes. He did it all tonight, guarding everyone from Mo Williams to Shaq.

The lineup of McGrady-Wafer-Battier-Diaw-Yao was so successful, you'll have to wonder if it's something Adelman will consider in the future. Diaw did foul out late in the fourth quarter, after a really solid Rocket debut, scoring 24 points, snaring 10 boards and turning back two shots; he was an efficient 4/7 from beyond the arc.

Felton surprisingly split PG duties with Carlos Arroyo tonight, who was believed to have been a bit of a throw-in in the trade, and it wasn't even known if he would play tonight; neither were much of a factor as it was T-Mac's night (who played PG as well), though Felton did make two huge free-throws late in the game.

This was a huge win for the Rockets, and they hope to carry this confidence into Philly Friday night against a struggling Sixers squad.

Boxes
[Rockets 1/2]
[Cavs 1/2]

Media

phpBB [video]

Diaw ends the first quarter with a buzzer-beating three.

phpBB [video]

Tracy McGrady did it all, this time being the roll man in the P&R.

phpBB [video]

It wasn't really a LeBron/McGrady duel, but both these players definitely lead their teams tonight.

Battier was tasked with guarding the league's best player after getting the starting nod tonight.

♪ Train, train; take me on out of this town. ♪

ESPN

This game was an instant classic; this was one of the games that reinforced to me that this story is worth doing (no wonder I felt the random urge to preview it). I should've rolled my capture card on the fourth quarter, but I feel like that distracts and puts an added pressure on me to do well, but this was a game they would be showing on ESPN Classic today if it happened irl. :lol:

There is also something about this game that it's a legitimate challenge and there's really no exploits like blow-by cheese in 2K, so I am legitimately fighting for my life in these games, which I can't ask for more as a story creator.

This was also the first game I won on All-Star. :applaud:

I wonder if in-game injuries were a scrapped thing in this game, cause Marv has the line "It looks like he's been injured"... this happened after a Diaw drive; I was assuming I would get an alert after the game he had been injured, but nothing. (N) I mean, it's a good thing he wasn't injured, but I would rather have it be a feature in the game; I shouldn't be too upset though, as I have one of the more fragile squads in league history. :lol:

Edit: Diaw did come up injured (nothing major; only a couple of games), but I didn't get a notification until after the game following this one, so who knows if it was related or not.
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite [15-6] | Amazing game against Cavs

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:42 pm

Simmed Games
Rockets.com
December 11-22, 2009

96-87 W @ Philadelphia

Ron Artest: 24 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals

92-82 W @ TOR

Artest: 33 points [8/10 3PT], 5 rebounds

66-75 L V.S. DET

Richard Hamilton: 27 points
    Rodney Stuckey: 26 points, 9 assists

82-71 W @ Denver

McGrady: 17 points
    Yao: 17 points, 14 rebounds, 3 blocks

131-103 W @ DAL

Jason Kidd 36 points (8 3PT), 10 assists
    Artest: 28 points, 7 rebounds, 6 steals, 4 assists, 3 blocks
    Felton: 23 points, 12 assists
    McGrady: 22 points, 9 assists, 4 rebounds, 3 steals

77-51 W V.S. OKC

McGrady: 14 points, 5 assists... holy shit this team is a dumpster fire, somehow winning 6 games (21 losses - league worst). Mutombo plays heavy minutes, Durant always scores half their points, Jeff Green plays SG and Westbrook missed all 12 of his field goals in this game.

83-93 L V.S. LAC

Iverson: 34 points, 5 steals, 4 assists
    Baron Davis: 21 points, 9 assists

NBA NEWS

:arrow: Clippers having a rough go after 11-0 start, dropping 12 of their last 17. :shock:
    :arrow: Houston: McGrady gets call back to starting lineup after impressive play; Battier returns to bench.
    :arrow: Breems' Wizards quietly leading the league at 20-6; no Jarić. This is the season they had Mike Miller and Randy Foye; just a really solid all-around squad.

Up Next: @ Orlando [17-11]

Injury Report
    Marcin Gortat: DTD - sore calf
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite [20-8] | Amazing game against Cavs + simmed games

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:25 pm

An epic conclusion indeed! Much better result than T-Mac's previous meltdown in the clutch.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Primed to Ignite [20-8] | Amazing game against Cavs + simmed games

Postby [Hyperize] on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:49 am

Rockets disappoint in 106-93 loss at Amway
December 23, 2009

The Rockets were able to hang around early, trailing by 1 at the end of the first quarter, but when their bench entered, Orlando was able to maintain a 20-point lead until the Rockets made it look respectable in the final minutes (maybe on 11 or 12 min. quarters I could've completed the comeback, but the score still turned out realistic). Swingman Tracy McGrady may have to return to his bench role, as that was the most successful the Rockets were all season.

For a duel between not only the two best big men in the league, but also between aging cousins McGrady and Vince Carter, the game turned out to be disappointing; both teams are similar in theory, yet have quite contrasting in playstyles (Orlando fast, Houston slow). This could be a potential Finals matchup, but the Rockets may have trouble getting out of the West if they keep losing to good teams.

All of Orlando's starters eclipsed double-figures in scoring (their bench did nothing). For the Rockets, Raymond Felton had his highest-scoring output since his acquisition (18); in a season where Yao was supposed to be the focus (even finishing the season opener with a triple-double) and Artest being the fallback option, T-Mac continues his "remember me?" season, leading the Rockets with 25.

The Rockets look to bounce back against a sub-.500 New Jersey team in the Meadowlands Saturday night (maybe I outta play a bad team for once).

Boxes
[Houston 1/2]
[Orlando 1/2]

ESPN

Media

Yao couldn't block D12's windmill, even with his hand through the cylinder.

Typical Artest: forcing his weight around for an and 1.
Dwight: "Let this canimation run its course *smh*"
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite [20-9] | Disappointing loss in Orlando

Postby [Hyperize] on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:14 am

Rockets escape Meadowlands 105-98, prepare for second date with Cavs
December 27, 2009

All-Star Devin Harris lead the way with 25 points and 7 assists, while former Rocket Rafer Alston did his best act of vengeance with 22 points, but T-Mac continues his tear with 31 points and 5 dimes to lead the Rockets out of Jersey with the W. Artest and Diaw pulled down 10 boards each and scored 19 and 16 points respectively to secure double-doubles, while the sim engine continues to treat Yao like Bismack Biyombo or something with 5 points on 2/2 shooting.

Up next is another duel between the Rockets and Cavs, this time at the Q in Cleveland; Rockets come in at 21-9, while Cleveland is 21-10.

ESPN

Around the League
:arrow: Clippers' Kaman to miss 2-3 months with hyper-extended knee
Last edited by [Hyperize] on Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite [21-9] | @ Orlando, simmed game & prepping for Cavs (again)

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:37 am

Referees swallowed the whistle on that obvious goaltend. :lol:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Primed to Ignite [21-9] | @ Orlando, simmed game & prepping for Cavs (again)

Postby Breems on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:45 am

Enjoying your style of injecting commentary into your articles/recaps. I always split mine, but it's nice to mix them too.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby [Hyperize] on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:25 am

Thanks guys! I have some "interesting" things coming up story-wise; this game is really testing my patience, but I'm gonna bear with it.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Hyperize] on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:27 am

NBA Live 10 cheese destroys Rockets in Cleveland
Rockets 89, Cavs 120
December 27, 2010

You know it's coming, but you can't stop it - here comes Anthony Parker and Mo Williams off LeBron feeds; you know they're gonna shoot it, but there's nothing you can do about it, and they splash it 9 times out of 10. Rockets fall by 31 in Cleveland against one of the league's best teams, but not without a fair share of cheese. Big Z pulls down 20 boards for the Cavs, while Shaq secures a 16-10 double-double; LeBron with 22 and 7 dimes, while Mo Williams leads the cheese-fest with 37, and Anthony Parker does his share off the bench with 15.

Rockets hung around in the first (as they always seem to do), but it became a joke quickly; Artest leads a disappointing effort with 23.

phpBB [video]

Shane with a sexy move off a screen.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Hyperize] on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:29 am

Reports: Bulls offering Rose, Hinrich to Rockets for Yao
January 1, 2010

Now this is intriguing: one of the best, on the rise young point guards with three years on his contract for a mid-season rental of a dominant big, not to mention a positive swingman in Hinrich who is also locked up for three years. The Rockets have been struggling against the league's dominant teams, and Yao has been falling out of favor, as T-Mac has really shone through.

Reports say the Rockets think this move is too drastic in a season they're competing for a championship, though tempting and worth some mulling to say the least. On the other side of the coin, if the Rockets aren't confident in their chances to go all the way this season, why not pull the trigger? I'm sure the Rockets could throw in Raymond Felton to not drown in point guards if the Bulls throw in a big like Joakim Noah to not deplete the Rockets front-court.

As of now, nothing has went down, though this may not be the last we hear of this rumor. The Rockets are still in crazy good shape, trailing only Portland in the west at 22-11, while Chicago is sitting at eighth in the East with a losing record; perhaps this is a stopgap/win-now move for the Bulls, who may be tired of rebuilding, or they may want to go the opposite way and tank for a high pick, move on from Rose and remove $13M off the books to pursue any number of free agents in a stacked upcoming class (James, Wade, Roy, Stoudemire, Bosh, etc.)

ESPN
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite [23-11] | Trashed in Cleveland & D-Rose to Rockets?!

Postby [Hyperize] on Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:20 am

Rockets sit down with Yao to discuss implications of trade
January 5, 2010

The meeting is said to have taken place this morning in LA, as the Rockets have a date with the Lakers tonight at Staples. The Rockets are trying to convince Yao to sacrifice a season so they can acquire a long-term piece in Rose and Yao can be greeted with a generous contract and better team with the Rockets this offseason; essentially a "greater good"-type deal. Yao is remaining open to anything, though injuries have been in an issue in his career, so you have to use him while he can play.

The Rockets enter tonight's game after two wins against the Hornets and a home loss to Dallas; Yao was solid as a rock in the wins despite the rumors (the sim engine usually just treats him like a generic backup center). In the last outing in New Orleans, Von Wafer had a nice 20-point game off the bench; if the Rockets can't afford to bring back both Yao and T-Mac in the offseason, Wafer can be an ample replacement. The Rockets have options, but every move has delicate implications.

Some sources close to the situation say the Rockets are still far from considering this deal and sacrificing a season for a long-term Rose, even though they have looked dysfunctional against some of the league's powerhouses. To be continued...

ESPN
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:11 pm

Wow. That certainly would shake things up!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:24 am

Breaking: Durant requests trade, Boston does Pierce dirty
January 10, 2010

The Oklahoma City Thunder are a putrid 12-31 (2nd worst in the league), but Kevin Durant is playing like an All-Star; he wants to win now. He reportedly asked the Thunder to trade him as early as last week, and they honored his request; Boston came calling with cap relief, but now Beantown is in a moral frenzy. Most would argue it was for the greater good.

The Celtics ship 7x All-Star, Finals MVP, champion, captain, face of the franchise "The Truth" Paul Pierce to the Oklahoma City Thunder in a deal that they could absolutely not pass up: Kevin Durant, Etan Thomas and Nick Collison. Pierce is a huge $20M expiring contract, while Durant is on the rise and locked in for the long haul. The Celtics also get an expiring $6M in Thomas this summer.

The Celtics are 31-10, trailing only Washington for the best record in the NBA.

Grade for the Celtics: A+

Thunder: D- (no draft picks, no nothing; that's the bind you're put in when it's publicly known that a player wants out)

ESPN

Editor's note: This is the freakin' modern day Dubs; the rich get richer. Durant follows Kyrie's path and turns the Celtics into the modern day Warriors. Will Stern veto? All that and more, up next.

Around the League
:!: Nuggets' Smith sidelined 2-3 months with broken bone in foot

Rockets.com (5-2)

:arrow: Rockets topple Kobe, Odom-less Lakers by 21 in LA
    :arrow: McGrady's 35 (7 threes) leads Houston over Phoenix, 95-85
    :arrow: T-Mac scores 28, Brent Barry has 19-point bench cameo in Rockets' 31-point drubbing of Knicks
    :arrow: Balanced Bobcat attack spoils Felton, Diaw's return to Charlotte, 73-65
    :arrow: Felton drops 21 and 8 dimes to defend homecourt against Sessions (21 points), Wolves
    :arrow: Wafer, Rockets defeat hopeless Heat by 10
    :arrow: Redd, Bogut & Bucks' balanced attack stuns Rockets by 18 in Houston

Up Next: @ San Antonio (27-14)
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite [28-13] | Boston sends Pierce to OKC in blockbuster

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:49 pm

Damn. Speaking of shaking things up...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Breems on Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:54 pm

Savage move, CPU! I fully expect to see the Celtics coast to the finals now.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:28 pm

lol, borderline thinking of turning Modify CPU Rosters on for a moment to ship OKC Boston's first round pick or something.
[Hyperize]

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood