2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

What's gonna happen?

Celtics in 4
0
No votes
Celtics in 5
0
No votes
Celtics in 6
1
7%
Celtics in 7
3
20%
Cavaliers in 4
3
20%
Cavaliers in 5
1
7%
Cavaliers in 6
4
27%
Cavaliers in 7
1
7%
To fill the week-long gap between the conference finals and NBA Finals, Boston and Houston play a series for third place
0
No votes
Isaiah Thomas on LeBron's title chances: "I don't know who the fuck that is."
2
13%
 
Total votes : 15

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby air gordon on Thu May 17, 2018 3:19 am

Sauru wrote:
[Q] wrote:It's a shame that LeBron has so many haters. He is one of the best players of all time and it's just a pleasure to watch him work. Some of these passes he's hitting his teammates with for open layups are ridiculous and shouldn't be possible by a man that big



i feel like his haters are caused by those who kiss his ass. people get sick of the nick wrights of the world so they bash on lebron. then there is of course the stupid fucking decision special he had.

overall though people should sit back and appreciate greatness. the man is playing the game at a skill level equaled by a very few ever. possible one 1 other ever. his longevity also has to be admired.

good call there, sir.

too bad thompson is no longer in champion form. he bottled up horford last year and could switch on perimeter players. korver was good and his off ball action opens up things. too bad he can't stay on the floor against Boston wings. JR smith really stunk it up on both sides. i say back to more minutes to osman.

smart had some bad reads on the korver picks but overall what a spark to have. immeasurable tangibles
Derrick is a legend, no matter what. I don’t like how you explained that
Jabari Parker in response to a reporter asking him to comment on Derrick Rose's "fall from grace"
User avatar
air gordon
 
Posts: 7603
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:06 pm
Location: windy city

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby dwayne2005 on Thu May 17, 2018 6:21 am

Jackie Kong wrote:That goes for every coach that did not vote for Brad as coach of the year.
It is all about team defense and intensity. Trading Thomas last off-season was really needed the way I see it because many could say that a defense is as strong as its weakest link and there is no worse defender in the league than Isaiah.
Even without Irving and Hayward, this team looks much stronger out there than last year this time around.


Since the diasterous run with Cleveland during a period when Cleveland went 0-5 without Isaiah for which Isaiah was made accountable for in the press (media attacking him usually referred to the 7-13 run when it was 7-8 under Thomas) calling him the worst defensive player in the league using the DRTG coarse estimation (for which 15 games is wholly insufficient), how well did he do in LA? I can't get up the first few games including one which he spent 5 minutes on court (due to disqualification for being hit and elbowed by Rajon Rondo in the face) and the other team destroyed them on the way for 130 for which some made him accountable for even though they scored at a reduced rate in the little time he was on court, or his first game with LA which the media immediately lept to blame him for even though in that game he had the best DRTG rating on the team. Rather I can only get up the games since the all-star break and he had a rating of 107.7: https://stats.nba.com/players/defense/? ... Position=G Among guards, that probably puts him around the middle of the league, despie his mediocre steal count, which is probably exlainable by having on of the best DFG%'s in the league until his last couple of games before pulling out to injury (finished at 42.9% which was still a few percent better than average).

In the aftermath of the season, we'll probably get analysis of him being the worst in 2017-18, once again making him accoubtable for a problematic team but there is reason to think his stint in Cleveland was exceptional, including the fact that he didn't lead to the destruction of Boston when he was on court. This Celtics team is very different to last years (not just Isaiah) and lucked their way to this round to finally square off against what I have known for a long time is a fairly ordinary team.

Ultimately, Boston had their chance last year when Isaiah was out injured and remind me how well they done then without everyones favourite scapegoat holding the team back?
Last edited by dwayne2005 on Thu May 17, 2018 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
dwayne2005
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:00 pm

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby Dee4Three on Thu May 17, 2018 6:37 am

dwayne2005 wrote:This Celtics team is very different to last years (not just Isaiah) and lucked their way to this round to finally square off against what I have known for a long time is a fairly ordinary team.


You have clearly not watched any Celtics basketball this season, and possibly no games in the playoffs.

The Celtics won a hard fought 7 game series against a completely healthy Milwaukee Bucks team, and won in 5 games to Philly (A team that almost everybody picked over the Celtics), they have taken the first two games from a Cavs team that many said would either sweep Boston, or win in 5 games.

You couldn't possibly have watched the Celtics and stated that they lucked into this situation. They have been playing great ball all year, they have been playing next man up ball all year consistently. Not only that, they have the talent. Just because they don't have big names, doesn't mean they don't have the talent. Most people (some on here) stated that without an all-star, or lack of many all-stars, the Celtics were doomed in this postseason. Those comments mostly started when the Celtics reached the 2nd round against Philly. The Celtics have proved that it isn't luck all playoffs long, by not only having an amazing gameplan night in and night out, but also the execution by players that are not being given the credit they deserve. With that "luck" comment, you prove that you know absolutely nothing about the current Celtics team, and I question if you have watched them at all.

I agree with SOME of your comments about Thomas, but you sound a bit obsessive. All of your posts are basically about Thomas, and stats, specifically advanced stats. Not everything is about Thomas, just like not everything is about LeBron. The picture is much bigger than that.
Last edited by Dee4Three on Thu May 17, 2018 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 7368
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby Jackie Kong on Thu May 17, 2018 6:46 am

Thomas doesn't pass the eye test to me. Every time, I watch him play I feel like the team has to adjust the whole defense to make him look not so bad which I suppose could exaggerate his defensive stats.
User avatar
Jackie Kong
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:18 am

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby dwayne2005 on Sat May 19, 2018 7:10 am

For the record, where did Thomas rank 2 years ago using this same DRTG that everyone are usually to crucify him today? #167 of 476 players (80 games played). This does not filter out the 'extremes' (which I don't believe the site can do) caused by players who played few games, so he would have been higher ranked than 167. It evens out on both ends of the chart as a rough percentage as to how he rates, though. I'm sure back then the media scum would have found a different measure to crucify him under.

Incidentally, Thomas was more efficient offensively in 2017-18 (50.8% TS, including 49.3% at Cleveland) than Jordan was for either season with Washington (46.8% and 49.1%).
dwayne2005
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:00 pm

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Sat May 19, 2018 6:30 pm

how did this thread turn into a toxic midget discussion thread?
User avatar
SoF'nAwesome
MVP
 
Posts: 2111
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:30 pm

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby Jackie Kong on Sun May 20, 2018 2:15 am

It was inevitable to talk about Thomas. Last year, Celtics started 0-2 down against Cavs.
User avatar
Jackie Kong
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:18 am

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby dwayne2005 on Sun May 20, 2018 4:19 am

SoF'nAwesome wrote:how did this thread turn into a toxic midget discussion thread?


No one ever told twits like you to stop posting about the series...
dwayne2005
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:00 pm

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby Dee4Three on Sun May 20, 2018 4:23 am

dwayne2005 wrote:
SoF'nAwesome wrote:how did this thread turn into a toxic midget discussion thread?


No one ever told twits like you to stop posting about the series...


Don't pay comments like that any mind. They are completely pointless and unfounded. It's hate for the purpose of hate, and it's not even funny at that.

Thomas wasn't toxic in Boston, he wasn't toxic in Cleveland (which came out later), and he wasn't toxic in LA, either. And what he has acheived with his size is more than any of us have acheived athletically in our lives, including So Fn Awesome, so maybe he's just jealous.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 7368
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby NovU on Sun May 20, 2018 5:47 am

air gordon wrote:
Sauru wrote:
[Q] wrote:It's a shame that LeBron has so many haters. He is one of the best players of all time and it's just a pleasure to watch him work. Some of these passes he's hitting his teammates with for open layups are ridiculous and shouldn't be possible by a man that big



i feel like his haters are caused by those who kiss his ass. people get sick of the nick wrights of the world so they bash on lebron. then there is of course the stupid fucking decision special he had.

overall though people should sit back and appreciate greatness. the man is playing the game at a skill level equaled by a very few ever. possible one 1 other ever. his longevity also has to be admired.

good call there, sir.

too bad thompson is no longer in champion form. he bottled up horford last year and could switch on perimeter players. korver was good and his off ball action opens up things. too bad he can't stay on the floor against Boston wings. JR smith really stunk it up on both sides. i say back to more minutes to osman.

smart had some bad reads on the korver picks but overall what a spark to have. immeasurable tangibles

This is why I appreciate Sauru's presence in our forum. The man is not afraid to call it what it is even though I still think he is a dictionary definition of ass fuck.

Some still dont realize how big deal player Tatum is. He is a prototypical modern era star quality small forward who can switch and defend anyone and gives anyone problem on offense. And he is what, 19 or 20? Mitchell is not a star yet but this Tatum is a star already. Otto Porter? Perhaps Tatum in his first year already outplayed a shit nice player. People need to stop saying Mitchell was better heck even his temmate Rubio was much better.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Image
Enjoy! <3 Jao
User avatar
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?
 
Posts: 11220
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:50 pm

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby air gordon on Sun May 20, 2018 6:58 am

Interesting compare. I think Tatum is way more smooth with the ball and plays through contact. Porter seems more jerky jerky/ Shawn Marion like. Either way Tatum is pretty damn awesome
Derrick is a legend, no matter what. I don’t like how you explained that
Jabari Parker in response to a reporter asking him to comment on Derrick Rose's "fall from grace"
User avatar
air gordon
 
Posts: 7603
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:06 pm
Location: windy city

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby Jackie Kong on Sun May 20, 2018 7:07 am

Stevens and Tatum are a perfect match. Don't think Tatum would this effective with Jazz. Don't think Mitchell would be this effective with Celtics.
User avatar
Jackie Kong
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:18 am

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby shadowgrin on Sun May 20, 2018 2:42 pm

Weird seeing the Celtics defense easily crumble when the Cavs started doing 1 or 2 offball movements.
You can tell the Celtics defensive gameplan was reliant on the Cavs sticking with isos or the team standing around waiting for the shot from a LeBron pass out.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer
 
Posts: 23091
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:21 am
Location: In your mind

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby Andrew on Sun May 20, 2018 7:48 pm

The counter-punch I think everyone saw coming, especially after a few days off and the shift to Cleveland. Let's see if it rattles the Celtics for Game 4, and whether or not players like Hill can keep stepping up.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Image
Contact: Email | Twitter
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube


Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Image
Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
User avatar
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator
 
Posts: 105821
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Sun May 20, 2018 8:07 pm

need to give clarkson the hood treatment. he has zero contribution
User avatar
SoF'nAwesome
MVP
 
Posts: 2111
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:30 pm

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby [Q] on Mon May 21, 2018 2:27 am

Hated to see him go, but he and Nance definitely had the least amount of potential of the Lakers young guys
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 13251
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby Jackal on Mon May 21, 2018 4:37 am

[Q] wrote:Hated to see him go, but he and Nance definitely had the least amount of potential of the Lakers young guys


Told you that dude doesn't pass. He regressed since coming in to the league.
Image
User avatar
Jackal
 
Posts: 14858
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:59 am

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby Dee4Three on Tue May 22, 2018 5:38 am

Keys to the game for the C's tonight:

1. Stay out of early foul trouble
2. Don't settle for long two's (Unless you are Tatum, who thrives from that 15-22 foot range). I'd like to see Rozier work that tweener game and attack the basket more. I am really sick of Marcus Smart taking long twos.
3. High intensity throughout - So many red carpet rides in game 3 (Like on LeBrons reverse). Show the intensity and effort you had in games 1 and 2.
4. Don't get beat on the boards by Nance/Thompson - Both those dudes get rebounds by hustling, not by skill. They wanted it more last game, box out and knock them off the spot, beat them to the 50-50 balls. Nance/Thompson combined for 18 points and 13 rebounds, we need to cut that in half.
5. Operate more in the pick n roll - I'd like to see Horford up setting picks on the ball more, Christ even Baynes. Let's make Clevelands defense move and have to adjust. I'd also like to see Horford being used not just as a roll man, but as a pick n pop option. If he doesn't get the shot immediately, he is great at putting the ball on the floor and making decisions on the move.
6. Stifle Korver and Smith.... - If penetration occurs and we lose sight of them, or don't get out quick enough, we could find a barrage of three's raining on us. Don't help off those two, ever.
7. Run, run, run - We should be pushing it on every defensive board.

Also, the Cavaliers are 7-0 over the last 10 postseasons when Bill Kennedy refs.... and Bill Kennedy is refereeing the game tonight.

Scott Foster is another ref in this game... fun facts below:

The records show Donaghy placed 134 calls to referee Scott Foster — more than the 126 calls Donaghy made to his bookie — between October 2006 and April 2007, the period during which he has confessed to either betting on games or passing on game information to gamblers. The majority of the phone calls lasted no more than two minutes and occurred prior to and after games Donaghy officiated and on which he admits wagering.

With the exception of 150 calls Donaghy placed to Thomas Martino, to whom he says he provided “picks” to win games and who was the middleman between the disgraced referee and a bookie named James Battista, the ex-ref phoned no one more than he called Foster. During this period, the most calls Donaghy made to any other referee were 13.


Additionally....

Calls between Foster, 41, and Donaghy, also 41, took place immediately before and after 54 of the 57 games Donaghy officiated from the beginning of the 2006-2007 season until mid-March, when his role in the gambling operation apparently ended. Records also show a vast majority of the calls came in the hours before or after games officiated by Donaghy or Foster.



This will be interesting. Bottom line - the game could be forced in the direction of the Cavaliers, keep an eye out for funny business... particular "Bad officiating".


http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/07/14/disgraced-former-nba-referee-tim-donaghy-phone-calls-to-second-ref-raise.html


Example below:


Donaghy’s phone records for one of those days, Dec. 30, obtained by Fox News, reveal the following:

— 10:34 a.m. – Donaghy calls Foster.

— 10:35 a.m. – Donaghy calls another referee.

— 10:36 a.m. – Donaghy calls Martino, the “middleman” between him and his bookie.

— 10:39 a.m. – Donaghy calls Foster.

— 5:15 p.m. – Donaghy calls Martino.

— 5:23 p.m. – Donaghy calls Martino.

— 7 p.m. – Donaghy referees game between the Miami Heat and the Orlando Magic. The Magic win in a rout, 97-68.

— 8 p.m. – Foster referees a game between the Toronto Raptors and the Memphis Grizzlies in Memphis. The Grizzlies win 110-104. Foster and Donaghy speak 12 minutes after the game.

— 11:27 p.m. – Foster and Donaghy speak for at least the fourth time of the day.

— 11:38 p.m. – Foster and Donaghy speak for at least the fifth time of the day.

The following day, Donaghy spoke with Foster at 1:37 p.m., for two minutes. One minute later, at 1:40 p.m., Donaghy spoke to Martino, also for two minutes.



I know that the topic of fixed games is a tough pill to swallow, tough for people to even think about nevermind talk about. But it's a big business, and the reality of the situation is that I wouldn't be surprised if this was the reason refs like Scott Foster and Bill Kennedy are kept around. Look no further than the 02 Kings vs Lakers series, and the 06 Heat vs Mavericks finals. Don't be surprised if you see really "Bad officiating" tonight.... masked as just that... bad officiating.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 7368
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby [Q] on Tue May 22, 2018 3:43 pm

Is there a player more important for the success of the Cavs than Tristan Thompson?
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 13251
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby Andrew on Tue May 22, 2018 4:48 pm

He's easy to overlook because of the big contract he hasn't exactly lived up to, but he can definitely have an impact on the game. When the Cavs came back from 3-1 down in the 2016 Finals, LeBron and Kyrie were putting up great numbers and hitting all the big shots, but Thompson was cleaning up on the glass, and that made a huge difference.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Image
Contact: Email | Twitter
Release Topics: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Topics: NBA 2K19 | NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube


Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Image
Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
User avatar
Andrew
The One Admin
Administrator
 
Posts: 105821
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby hova- on Tue May 22, 2018 6:50 pm

Dee4Three wrote:
Also, the Cavaliers are 7-0 over the last 10 postseasons when Bill Kennedy refs.... and Bill Kennedy is refereeing the game tonight.

Scott Foster is another ref in this game... fun facts below:

The records show Donaghy placed 134 calls to referee Scott Foster — more than the 126 calls Donaghy made to his bookie — between October 2006 and April 2007, the period during which he has confessed to either betting on games or passing on game information to gamblers. The majority of the phone calls lasted no more than two minutes and occurred prior to and after games Donaghy officiated and on which he admits wagering.

With the exception of 150 calls Donaghy placed to Thomas Martino, to whom he says he provided “picks” to win games and who was the middleman between the disgraced referee and a bookie named James Battista, the ex-ref phoned no one more than he called Foster. During this period, the most calls Donaghy made to any other referee were 13.


Additionally....

Calls between Foster, 41, and Donaghy, also 41, took place immediately before and after 54 of the 57 games Donaghy officiated from the beginning of the 2006-2007 season until mid-March, when his role in the gambling operation apparently ended. Records also show a vast majority of the calls came in the hours before or after games officiated by Donaghy or Foster.



This will be interesting. Bottom line - the game could be forced in the direction of the Cavaliers, keep an eye out for funny business... particular "Bad officiating".


http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/07/14/disgraced-former-nba-referee-tim-donaghy-phone-calls-to-second-ref-raise.html


Example below:


Donaghy’s phone records for one of those days, Dec. 30, obtained by Fox News, reveal the following:

— 10:34 a.m. – Donaghy calls Foster.

— 10:35 a.m. – Donaghy calls another referee.

— 10:36 a.m. – Donaghy calls Martino, the “middleman” between him and his bookie.

— 10:39 a.m. – Donaghy calls Foster.

— 5:15 p.m. – Donaghy calls Martino.

— 5:23 p.m. – Donaghy calls Martino.

— 7 p.m. – Donaghy referees game between the Miami Heat and the Orlando Magic. The Magic win in a rout, 97-68.

— 8 p.m. – Foster referees a game between the Toronto Raptors and the Memphis Grizzlies in Memphis. The Grizzlies win 110-104. Foster and Donaghy speak 12 minutes after the game.

— 11:27 p.m. – Foster and Donaghy speak for at least the fourth time of the day.

— 11:38 p.m. – Foster and Donaghy speak for at least the fifth time of the day.

The following day, Donaghy spoke with Foster at 1:37 p.m., for two minutes. One minute later, at 1:40 p.m., Donaghy spoke to Martino, also for two minutes.



I know that the topic of fixed games is a tough pill to swallow, tough for people to even think about nevermind talk about. But it's a big business, and the reality of the situation is that I wouldn't be surprised if this was the reason refs like Scott Foster and Bill Kennedy are kept around. Look no further than the 02 Kings vs Lakers series, and the 06 Heat vs Mavericks finals. Don't be surprised if you see really "Bad officiating" tonight.... masked as just that... bad officiating.


I cannot leave this uncommented after watching the game where the refs were actually doing a really good job and the worst calls were rather in favor of the Celtics (JR Smith phantom fouls). Free throw attempts, turnovers etc. are almost identical for both teams, both had players in foul trouble (especially Love and Morris) and both were fighting and hustling and the refs had to call a lot of fouls.

I know you are a die hard fan of that Celtics squad, which clearly exceeded any expectations after tough injuries sustained this season. But the last two games, they were just not good enough to beat a scrappy Cavaliers team.

I think the Cavs played really good defense the last two games, still the Cs were missing open dunks and layups and continuously switched on the LeBron/Smith pick&roll having Rozier on LeBron, not sure if that should be your defense rotation. But okay, I am not a coach, Brad Stevens is one of the best in the game, maybe it's better to force that matchup than letting the Cavs get pick n pop threes or whatever.

It felt like Celtics were faced by the pressure a bit. They had their heads down early on in both games and some of their potential weaknesses (that they were able to overcome during most of the regular season and early Playoffs) were exposed - Brown/Tatum/Rozier not hitting as many ridiculously difficult shots that they are able to hit. Smart being a poor option on offense except for some clever pick & roll plays. Morris not being a legit stopper for LeBron as he does not have the footspeed. Horford not being an offensive juggernaut - he lives from clever screens and ball movement (which the Cs did not have in the last two games) , his isos (even in the post) are not unguardable.

It's all open now and the Celtics just don't seem to have it on the road, which is not a huge issue given they have home court.

But please don't bring in the refs just because the Cavs cut the deficit. Don't start the conspiracy thing just because your team is not performing.

There were clearly other reasons for the two losses than the refs (Cavs D, LeBron being LeBron, Celtics weaknesses exposed, Celtics road issues).
User avatar
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 5109
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:33 am
Location: Augsburg, Germany

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby NovU on Tue May 22, 2018 7:13 pm

Oh man, I dont believe neither these Celtics nor Cavs have any chance against superior western conference finalists now. If you cant defend one man team, how are you gonna defend multifaceted Warriors team.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Image
Enjoy! <3 Jao
User avatar
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?
 
Posts: 11220
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:50 pm

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby Dee4Three on Wed May 23, 2018 12:20 am

hova- wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:
Also, the Cavaliers are 7-0 over the last 10 postseasons when Bill Kennedy refs.... and Bill Kennedy is refereeing the game tonight.

Scott Foster is another ref in this game... fun facts below:

The records show Donaghy placed 134 calls to referee Scott Foster — more than the 126 calls Donaghy made to his bookie — between October 2006 and April 2007, the period during which he has confessed to either betting on games or passing on game information to gamblers. The majority of the phone calls lasted no more than two minutes and occurred prior to and after games Donaghy officiated and on which he admits wagering.

With the exception of 150 calls Donaghy placed to Thomas Martino, to whom he says he provided “picks” to win games and who was the middleman between the disgraced referee and a bookie named James Battista, the ex-ref phoned no one more than he called Foster. During this period, the most calls Donaghy made to any other referee were 13.


Additionally....

Calls between Foster, 41, and Donaghy, also 41, took place immediately before and after 54 of the 57 games Donaghy officiated from the beginning of the 2006-2007 season until mid-March, when his role in the gambling operation apparently ended. Records also show a vast majority of the calls came in the hours before or after games officiated by Donaghy or Foster.



This will be interesting. Bottom line - the game could be forced in the direction of the Cavaliers, keep an eye out for funny business... particular "Bad officiating".


http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/07/14/disgraced-former-nba-referee-tim-donaghy-phone-calls-to-second-ref-raise.html


Example below:


Donaghy’s phone records for one of those days, Dec. 30, obtained by Fox News, reveal the following:

— 10:34 a.m. – Donaghy calls Foster.

— 10:35 a.m. – Donaghy calls another referee.

— 10:36 a.m. – Donaghy calls Martino, the “middleman” between him and his bookie.

— 10:39 a.m. – Donaghy calls Foster.

— 5:15 p.m. – Donaghy calls Martino.

— 5:23 p.m. – Donaghy calls Martino.

— 7 p.m. – Donaghy referees game between the Miami Heat and the Orlando Magic. The Magic win in a rout, 97-68.

— 8 p.m. – Foster referees a game between the Toronto Raptors and the Memphis Grizzlies in Memphis. The Grizzlies win 110-104. Foster and Donaghy speak 12 minutes after the game.

— 11:27 p.m. – Foster and Donaghy speak for at least the fourth time of the day.

— 11:38 p.m. – Foster and Donaghy speak for at least the fifth time of the day.

The following day, Donaghy spoke with Foster at 1:37 p.m., for two minutes. One minute later, at 1:40 p.m., Donaghy spoke to Martino, also for two minutes.



I know that the topic of fixed games is a tough pill to swallow, tough for people to even think about nevermind talk about. But it's a big business, and the reality of the situation is that I wouldn't be surprised if this was the reason refs like Scott Foster and Bill Kennedy are kept around. Look no further than the 02 Kings vs Lakers series, and the 06 Heat vs Mavericks finals. Don't be surprised if you see really "Bad officiating" tonight.... masked as just that... bad officiating.


I cannot leave this uncommented after watching the game where the refs were actually doing a really good job and the worst calls were rather in favor of the Celtics (JR Smith phantom fouls). Free throw attempts, turnovers etc. are almost identical for both teams, both had players in foul trouble (especially Love and Morris) and both were fighting and hustling and the refs had to call a lot of fouls.

I know you are a die hard fan of that Celtics squad, which clearly exceeded any expectations after tough injuries sustained this season. But the last two games, they were just not good enough to beat a scrappy Cavaliers team.

I think the Cavs played really good defense the last two games, still the Cs were missing open dunks and layups and continuously switched on the LeBron/Smith pick&roll having Rozier on LeBron, not sure if that should be your defense rotation. But okay, I am not a coach, Brad Stevens is one of the best in the game, maybe it's better to force that matchup than letting the Cavs get pick n pop threes or whatever.

It felt like Celtics were faced by the pressure a bit. They had their heads down early on in both games and some of their potential weaknesses (that they were able to overcome during most of the regular season and early Playoffs) were exposed - Brown/Tatum/Rozier not hitting as many ridiculously difficult shots that they are able to hit. Smart being a poor option on offense except for some clever pick & roll plays. Morris not being a legit stopper for LeBron as he does not have the footspeed. Horford not being an offensive juggernaut - he lives from clever screens and ball movement (which the Cs did not have in the last two games) , his isos (even in the post) are not unguardable.

It's all open now and the Celtics just don't seem to have it on the road, which is not a huge issue given they have home court.

But please don't bring in the refs just because the Cavs cut the deficit. Don't start the conspiracy thing just because your team is not performing.

There were clearly other reasons for the two losses than the refs (Cavs D, LeBron being LeBron, Celtics weaknesses exposed, Celtics road issues).


I agree that the Celtics got outplayed! I brought up a valid point, I wasn't the only one bringing it up. NBA fans in and out of Boston were talking about the ref lineup for this game, and it was understandably concerning based on Scott Fosters history.

It has nothing to do with being a Celtics fan, I hate the possibility of rigged games, pre determined outcomes, shady practices (like that of which he presented with the Donaghy scandal, absolutley shady). It's not a conspiracy theory, there are reasons why I and others get concerned about certain officials reffing, like Tony Brothers. If you owned a store, and a shopper who was suspected of stealing came in, you would have your employees on high alert. If the shopper left without stealing anything, it doesn't change the fact that you are suspicious of that person, nor does it change any acts that the person may have committed prior, the next time that shopper comes into your store, you will be on high alert again. I would expect fans of any team, or just the NBA in general to be suspicious when certain officiating crews go out onto the floor.

There have been numerous series/games that got me really frustrated that had nothing to do with the Celtics, games where a portion of the population stated "The rig is in!".

I wanted the Celtics to win, but they didn't get it done. Hopefully they do at home.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 7368
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Wed May 23, 2018 1:24 am

NovU wrote:Oh man, I dont believe neither these Celtics nor Cavs have any chance against superior western conference finalists now. If you cant defend one man team, how are you gonna defend multifaceted Warriors team.

celtics did beat cavs when it was only LeBron who was showing up. they started to lose when korver, tt and swish contributed as well. so i don't think it's fair to call them a one man team
User avatar
SoF'nAwesome
MVP
 
Posts: 2111
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:30 pm

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby Dee4Three on Wed May 23, 2018 4:07 am

I want somebody to rationalize how these are not offensive fouls, and why LeBron continues to get away with this on so many drives. Literally full extensions of his arm.

I went through and froze where he extends his arm, this doesn't cover half of the times he did this in just Game 4. He literally has been doing this and getting away with it for years. This puts the defender at a complete disadvantage, of course LeBron is going to get to the hoop if he is allowed to do this on all of his drives to get downhill. On the 5th screenshot, Scott Foster is standing about 5 feet from James looking right at him.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image



Not only is he strong already, but he becomes 10 times stronger when he is allowed to use a full extension of his off arm to push on a back pedaling defender who isn't allow to touch him. LeBron should have had 3 offensive fouls in the first 6 minutes of Game 4. Again, this isn't "hating", this is an officiating issue, a favoring issue, and an NBA issue in general. James Harden also gets away with this stuff sometimes. LeBron shot 13 free throws last game, thats with defenders pulling back on his arm extended drives. It puts the opposing team at an unfair, ridiculous disadvantage.

LeBron is a career 73% from 0-3 ft, while only being 42% FROM 3-10, 36% from 10-16 and 38% from 16-22 ft, and 34% from 3P and beyond. Of course he is going to shoot a high percentage when he is allowed to have such an advantage going to the hoop. It's ridiculous to think other wise. Those screenshots are just a few snippets from one game, without even showing close to every one. I could post a ton of them based on the Pacers series and just games throughout his career.

Its so frustrating to watch. The biggest knock I have on what he gets away with is this, even more than his travels. Both are ridiculous though. Not saying James hasn't had good games, game 7 of the Pacers series he made some really tough shots, but that doesn't change the fact that he gets away with murder out there. Players are not allowed to handcheck, but he is allowed to fully extend his off arm to gain an advantage when driving? Give me a break.
Last edited by Dee4Three on Wed May 23, 2018 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 7368
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests