2017-18 Daily Discussion

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: 2017-18 Daily Discussion

Postby [Q] on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:07 am

TBH I don't know why they haven't been playing like this all season. They played really well after trading plumlee for nurkic (a huge upgrade) but dude got hurt at the end of the season.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:10 am

[Q] wrote:TBH I don't know why they haven't been playing like this all season. They played really well after trading plumlee for nurkic (a huge upgrade) but dude got hurt at the end of the season.

I think its just inconsistency at other positions, honestly. They havn't been able to confidently fill that SF or PF spots in the starting lineup with confidence. That's two players night in and night out that start the game that they can't really rely on. Granted, Aminu has gotten better as the year has gone on.

Top to bottom when you look at the roster they don't look that impressive, I think that Dame is that good, and Nurkic and CJ are just good enough.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Lamrock on Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:08 pm

The team has hit a really easy stretch of schedule. Obviously 11 straight wins is extremely impressive, but they were probably favored in eight or nine of them. Between that, Lillard's hot streak and the role players making their shots, they've jumped up the standings. The real test will be the rest of the season, which gets much tougher. Still, I think 50 wins is likely, which I wouldn't have predicted coming into the season (or all-star break, for that matter)

Also a shout-out to Zach Collins, who has poor averages, but has really come on as of late. Excited to see what he can do.
Lamrock

Postby bowdown on Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:57 pm

Collins can start for us at PF next season. His length, agility and skillset can be a great bonus for us in the starting lineup. I hope he will be ready for the challenge.
bowdown

Postby NovU on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:50 pm

Haha. Good to see Zach Collins making some noise. I remember reading up on him as one of the sleepers in the draft at boxscoregeeks site that I seldom visit.

Here's what I dug up.

“I know everybody is hyped about the Fultz-Ball rivalry but Zach Collins is a sleeper similar to Kawhi back in 2011. Boston is going to go with Fultz and it might work out but i'm gonna stick with the odds. I think Boston should go with a big man and Collins should be that guy. Mock drafts have him in the top 10 at least but if he ends up going to Sacramento, which I highly doubt because the double V's are running things over there.”

Seriously though, what is not to love about Collins? It seems many will fall for the minutes trick. As a freshman at a good school, Collins was going to play fewer minutes, but in those minutes he was fantastic. You should be looking for upside in the NBA draft, and Collins looks like he has some amazing skills. Andrew notes that’s Collins per-minute numbers make him comparable to Anthony Davis, Karl Anthony-Towns, and Kevin Love! The Celtics could easily trade down, get a great future big, and even offload Al Horford’s bloated contract (yes he played well in the playoffs, which means it’s time to sell high!)

Haha, some bold statement on sleepers that was. (ofc, Lonzo was a beast in terms of college stats, one of the best ever)

Not to confuse with another stellar rookie Collins kid from the Hawks.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby [Q] on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:15 am

Watched the blazers destroy the clippers last night and man CJ can basically pull up from anywhere and bury the shot in your face. Harkless and aminu were also on point hitting their open jumpers. Collins was surprising. He played well. Isn't he basically like a better Meyers Leonard?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby bowdown on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:15 am

Collins actually has great basketball instincts especially on the defensive end, unlike Meyers. Collins jumpshot might be the only comparable thing to Leonard.
bowdown

Postby Lamrock on Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:47 am

Unless Zach Collins breaks out, which he has a decent chance to do, he'll be compared to Meyers forever because they're both tall, athletic white guys. Collins does a lot of things well, his defense being the most exciting. Still a little rough around the edges because he's so young and didn't even start at Gonzaga, but he's already playing meaningful minutes for a playoff team, so that's a positive sign. I'd say his ceiling is being a smaller version of Porzingis, but I might just be basing that on the fact that he's a tall white guy..
Lamrock

Postby NovU on Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:07 pm

I would like to see more plays run through Collins before I give any verdict. In truth tons of superstars would struggle if system didn't center around them so it's not surprising to see his struggle in his confined role under guards heavy system. But for now his inefficiency makes him the worst player in Portland rotation. It seems though coach is trying to give him consistent minutes to develop.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby bowdown on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:54 pm

Who would have ever thought Aminu would be shooting over 40% three pointers at almost 5 attempts per game any time in his career? Credit to the guy for raising his game.
bowdown

Postby Jmad on Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:20 am

I dont see Collins getting a starting spot on Blazers anytime soon, Aminu is playing good enough to keep himself in the starting Pf rotation.
Wilt, MJ, LeBron, Kareem may be the greatest, but Scalabrine is the GOAT.
Jmad

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:40 pm

But the Raptors are the #1 seed...
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby [Q] on Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:52 pm

LeBron reminds us of his greatness: 35 pts, 17 asts, 7 rebs, 0 turnovers
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:11 pm

Somewhere, Nick Wright fainted. In all seriousness though, a great performance. 17 assists with zero turnovers is a rare feat indeed.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
45? That's a bad luck number!
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:29 pm

I really want to pick the Raps to come out of the East, but deep down I know we're getting Cavs/Warriors round 4, even if Cleveland loses the rest of regular season games.
Lamrock

Postby NovU on Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:43 pm

Apr 3rd, their match up will be another fun one. Who'd have thought the Raptors would be the best Eastern team this season. Cleveland with defense problem, is very beatable imho.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:46 pm

Lamrock wrote:I really want to pick the Raps to come out of the East, but deep down I know we're getting Cavs/Warriors round 4, even if Cleveland loses the rest of regular season games.

Why would you want Raptors to face the Warriors? It won't even be a competition. At least with the greatest player of all-time it will be a 6 game series.

NovU wrote:Apr 3rd, their match up will be another fun one. Who'd have thought the Raptors would be the best Eastern team this season. Cleveland with defense problem, is very beatable imho.

I so want to see Larry Nance Jr. & Kevin play together. It will be something special. Only if players like TT, Swish or Hood contributed something to the team.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby NovU on Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:48 pm

Also crazy how durable LeBron at his age is. No DNP this season and still going strong as fuck. Durability is one of the most underrated skills in the league btw.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Lamrock on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:54 pm

SoF'nAwesome wrote:
Lamrock wrote:I really want to pick the Raps to come out of the East, but deep down I know we're getting Cavs/Warriors round 4, even if Cleveland loses the rest of regular season games.

Why would you want Raptors to face the Warriors? It won't even be a competition. At least with the greatest player of all-time it will be a 6 game series.

It wasn't really a competition last year, when the Warriors beat the Cavs in 5. And that was when the Cavs had a better roster. Right now half their rotation was just acquired at the trade deadline, and their coach took a leave of absence due to stress. Yeah, LeBron has the Raptors' number, and I think he would will them to another Finals appearance. But if Golden State's big four are all playing, Cleveland has no chance.

Toronto would also lose to the Warriors, but I think they have a better team overall than Cleveland. They're excellent on both sides of the ball, with Casey getting his team to buy in despite ups and downs over the years. Rather than watching the Cavs go through the woodchipper again, I'd like to see a different team represent the East for a change. And what better team than the Raptors, who represent what is possible if you don't tank.. A lot of people thought they should tank for Wiggins in 2014 (LOL), but instead they have a chance to be like the 2011 Mavericks.
Lamrock

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:01 am

I would have liked to see the Celtics Vs the Warriors rather than Raptors but it seems now Irving might be out for the season as well. Tough luck.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Lamrock on Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:54 am

It'll be interesting to see if they're able to win a first round playoff series without Hayward, Irving, and possibly Smart as well. On paper they don't have enough talent, but Boston seems to keep winning so idk
Lamrock

Postby [Q] on Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:32 am

NovU wrote:Also crazy how durable LeBron at his age is. No DNP this season and still going strong as fuck. Durability is one of the most underrated skills in the league btw.

He's got a lot of miles on his body too. What has been his stance on resting this year?

Warriors Rockets will be the real finals this year
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:59 am

It does seem like he's determined to play all 82 games for once.
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:31 pm

[Q] wrote:
NovU wrote:Also crazy how durable LeBron at his age is. No DNP this season and still going strong as fuck. Durability is one of the most underrated skills in the league btw.

He's got a lot of miles on his body too. What has been his stance on resting this year?

He plays when he wants, rests when he wants, fuck Lue.

Andrew wrote:It does seem like he's determined to play all 82 games for once.

Seems like he’s leaving Cleveland, again, and giving it all this season.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:33 pm

Bad news for Curry and the Warriors.

Golden State Warriors star Stephen Curry has been diagnosed with an medial collateral ligament injury to his left knee, with an MRI coming on Saturday, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Initial tests on Curry’s knee showed a degree of an MCL injury, which will be determined fully in the MRI, sources said.

Curry suffered the injury in Friday’s game against the Atlanta Hawks, his first game back after missing six games with a right ankle sprain.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby NovU on Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:32 pm

Worst comes worst, this might just become Harden's year. He'll not only win the season MVP but finals MVP as well. He'll be remembered better player than his ex mates Durant and Westy.

For Curry, I honestly don't know what's worse, his knee or ankle. Hopefully it's just sprain but doesn't sound good they're calling it serious even before the MRI result.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby bowdown on Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:05 pm

Never have clumsy big men on your team.
bowdown

Postby I Hate Mondays on Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:02 pm

bowdown wrote:Never have clumsy big men on your team.

That could've happened to anyone. I don't think that injury was caused by JaVale's clumsiness.

I bet Shaq has an unjustified joy after what happened.
I Hate Mondays

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:32 am

bowdown wrote:Never have clumsy big men on your team.

Warriors did have success with a clumsy bigman named Zaza. Just ask Kawhi or Westbrook.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:41 am

Controlled chaos. They have to be able to aim it at the opposition.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby cavs4872 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:51 pm

Andrew wrote:It does seem like he's determined to play all 82 games for once.

I kind of viewed this as a witty remark, but didn't realize he's never had a full season/how many times he's fallen a few games short; by far has to be one of the most consistent, heavy-minute guys to never sustain a major injury but not play all 82.
cavs4872

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:09 pm

Indeed. He's been very durable, but either through rest or minor injuries where he's missed a few games, he's never played in every single game as yet. I'd still rank A.C. Green, Karl Malone, and John Stockton ahead of him on the Ironman chart. Even MJ had nine seasons where he played 82 games, and a couple more where he played 80 or 81. LeBron has come close a couple of times though, with 80 games in 2005, and 81 games in 2009.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby NovU on Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:10 pm

How about Willis Kevin? He played till age of 44. That's a lot of era: Moses Malone, Bird, Jordan, Shaq, Kobe, LeBron.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:35 pm

None of the players mentioned even played 40 mpg for the first 5 seasons of their career compared to someone who came out of HS straight to the NBA.
AC Green's minutes are a joke, same with Willis. A joke to be even considering them for 'Ironman' diecussions.
Only one comparable or even better than LeGOAT is Karl Malone. Stockton was durable but not on the same level as those two.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:07 am

shadowgrin wrote:Only one comparable or even better than LeGOAT

Kobe>LeBron>MJ real ones know
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:16 am

Well, A.C. Green remained abstinent throughout his NBA career. Iron willpower, if nothing else.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby NovU on Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:05 am

Alrighty then. Let's see any of those ironman scores a single point at age of 44. Well, I am waiting.

LeQueen hasn't even hit 34 in age and in constant maintenance mode. Good enough for my plasticman chart and I'm a generous man. I feed homeless cats.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby bowdown on Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:41 am

Aldridge has been going beastiality mode but looks like the Spurs season is a wash without Leonard unfortunately.
bowdown

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:01 pm

NovU wrote:LeQueen hasn't even hit 34 in age and in constant maintenance mode. Good enough for my plasticman chart and I'm a generous man. I feed homeless cats.

what is this aura of hatred come on homie be like kevin

phpBB [video]
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Lamrock on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:21 am

bowdown wrote:Aldridge has been going beastiality mode but looks like the Spurs season is a wash without Leonard unfortunately.

Dude..
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:59 am

How to look childish while covering sports: https://twitter.com/sltribsports/status ... 8989156352

Though, it did set up this nifty Eminem reference: https://twitter.com/BostonJerry/status/ ... 8115611648

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:26 pm

Kemba Walker became the Hornets' all-time leading scorer, edging out Dell Curry. At first I was a little surprised, but then I remembered that in the grand scheme of things, players like Alonzo Mourning, Larry Johnson, and Glen Rice didn't have particularly long tenures with the team, while Muggsy Bogues wasn't a prolific scorer.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Stress Fracture on Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:20 pm

When Charlotte rebranded as the Hornets again, did they acquire all team and player records from New Orleans?
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture
In James I Trust

Postby bowdown on Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:51 pm

Hornets are still unable to win. That MKG pick really turned out to be a dud. Batum for whatever reason plays like spoiled milk even though he is still fairly young.
bowdown

Postby NovU on Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:26 pm

Karl Towns scores 56 points. Insane. He's legitimately a great player at age of 22, better than Kevin Garnett at same age. I start to wonder, if he'll end up being a better big than Anthony Davis.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:52 pm

Stress Fracture wrote:When Charlotte rebranded as the Hornets again, did they acquire all team and player records from New Orleans?

They got the team history prior to the 2002-2003 season, while also retaining their history as the Bobcats (and of course, their history since becoming the Hornets again). The Pelicans retain the history of the Hornets while they were in New Orleans, so their lineage now runs from 2002 to the present.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:43 am

It's a shame that the bobcats basically get wiped from the history books like this as they probably won't acknowledge Gerald Wallace as an all time great in hornets history.

Also, because of the overlap, the New Orleans hornets history won't really be celebrated by the pelicans either. They're probably not going to celebrate/retire Chris Paul as he was technically a hornet
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:50 am

But his tenure with the Hornets was entirely in New Orleans, which is still part of the Pelicans' history. That does indeed make things confusing.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:53 pm

Just saw the Bucks-Warriors game from the other day, I could only imagine what kind of a player McGee would have turned out to be in his prime if he played with Chris Paul. How Paul made Tyson Chandler, David West, Emeka Okafor, DeAndre Jordan, and Clint Capela look like all-star bigs.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Jackal on Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:04 pm

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

All around sad situation. So far the news regarding McCaw has been positive. Scary none the less and hope he recovers fully and doesn't have any lingering issues. Back problems can be seriously scary. Felt really bad watching Vince's emotions. Classy move by Kerr trying to comfort him.
Jackal

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball