NELLIEBALL! | Finished.

A collection of memorable stories from NBA 2K's franchise and career modes.

Re: NELLIEBALL! - Offseason 2009: NBA Draft + Free Agency 2009

Postby Lamrock on Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:21 am

Bosh, McGrady, Granger Highlight Players Moved in Trading Period

September 1, 2009 - Several trades were made this NBA off-season. Some of them were blockbusters, but other were small deals. All-Stars Chris Bosh, Tracy McGrady and Danny Granger found new homes, along with many other talents, including 2007 #1 pick Greg Oden. Here, we will recap and analyze them all.

Marcus Williams to Dallas; 2010 first-rounder (DAL) to Golden State - This minor trade, Washburn's second as Warriors general manager, sent deadweight point guard Marcus Williams to Dallas for their 2010 first-rounder. The Warriors, who acquired Steve Nash and Ricky Rubio this offseason, are set at the PG position. With Monta Ellis also able to slide to the 1, the Warriors had no need for Williams, and they still managed to get some value for him, acquiring a pick likely in the mid-first round, but perhaps the lottery. Meanwhile, the Warriors get a decent potential successor to Jason Kidd in Williams. Warriors Trade Grade: A; Mavericks Trade Grade: B+

Kirk Hinrich to Sacramento; Francisco Garcia and Bobby Jackson to Chicago - The Kings come ever closer to contention with this move. They trade two unhappy bench players for a veteran point guard with playoff experience. It allows Tyreke Evans to come off the bench in his rookie year (and play both positions) and further improves there starting lineup. Hinrich - Martin - Nocioni - Boozer - Hawes; not bad, eh? The Bulls unload an unhappy Hinrich and his big contract. It also makes Derrick Rose officially their point guard of the future. They also improve their bench. Kings Trade Grade: A-; Bulls Trade Grade: B

Chris Bosh, Reggie Evans and Wally Szczerbiak to Houston; Tracy McGrady, Luis Scola and 2010 First-Rounder (HOU) to Toronto - After making it to the second round of the playoffs for the first time since 1997 without their highest-paid player Tracy McGrady, it became clear that T-Mac was on his way out. However, losing Ron Artest to free agency made them think it over, since they needed a scoring punch. Chris Bosh is a superstar unhappy to be on a subpar team. He has already alluded to the fact that he would be leaving in the 2010 offseason, and the Raptors figured they would try to get something for him. And so, in a rare epic blockbuster, the Raptors shipped Bosh, and bench players Reggie Evans and Wally Szczerbiak to Houston in return for Tracy McGrady, Luis Scola and a first-rounder.

This trade brings McGrady back to the Raptors, vastly improving their 2 guard position, and Scola, another international player to team with Bargnani in the frontcourt. With a starting lineup of Calderon - McGrady - Ariza - Scola - Bargnani, the Raptors could find themselves back in the playoffs sooner than we think. Meanwhile, Yao Ming and Chris Bosh form a potentially dominant twin towers. However, with a starting backcourt of Aaron Brooks and Wally Szczerbiak, they might be in trouble. However, even if they fail to go deep in the playoffs, Bosh is a Texas native and Houston is a large market, so he will likely resign at the end of the season. Raptors Trade Grade: B+; Rockets Trade Grade: A-

Danny Granger to Portland; Greg Oden, Nicolas Batum and Martell Webster to Indiana - Greg Oden was spewing trade demands all Summer, and Kevin Pritchard finally gave in. However, in giving in, he possibly made the best move as the Blazers general manager. He sent Oden, along with prospect swingmen Nicolas Batum and Martell Webster to Indiana for all-star small forward Danny Granger. This trade explains the Charlie Villanueva signing, as it will move LaMarcus Aldridge to the center position. It is a high risk move, considering that Portland came within one game of eliminating the eventual champion Los Angeles Lakers, but Granger is a huge upgrade, and should make them title favorites should their chemistry work cohesively.

The Pacers, meanwhile, come off a mediocre season where they were dispatched in the first round. They didn't have their mind set on dealing their franchise player this summer, but the package of young players Portland offered was just too much to pass up. This trade could be a huge mistake and set the mediocre Pacers back into the lottery, but Oden could very well become a better player than Granger, while Webster and Batum also have star potential. This trade reboots the Pacers, while it improves and unclogs the Blazers' rotation. Blazers Trade Grade: A-; Pacers Trade Grade: B

Steve Blake to Houston; Chuck Hayes and Carl Landry to Portland - Both the Rockets and Blazers were coming off blockbuster trades, and had imbalances in their roster. Portland had too many point guards, and not enough big men, while Houston had a stacked frontcourt and a weak backcourt. Portland trades backup point guard Steve Blake to the Rockets for big men Carl Landry and Chuck Hayes. The Blazers get some decent big men up front, and can give all their guards enough playing time. Meanwhile, Houston gets rid of their unhappy reserves, and gains a solid veteran point guard. Blazers Trade Grade: A; Rockets Trade Grade: B-
Lamrock

Re: NELLIEBALL! - 2009 NBA Draft + Free Agency + Trading Period

Postby Lamrock on Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:42 am

THE NELLIEBALL PREDICTION GAME

Like most dynastassociations, NELLIEBALL! will have a prediction game. It won't be as elaborate or time consuming as Thierryhenry's, but it should be fun. There will be predictions for both the regular season and the playoffs, but for now, I will just cover the season.

HOW TO PLAY:

Before each game month, I will post the schedule. To participate in the game, you'll put either a W (win) or an L (loss) next to each game. Each correctly predicted result gets you a point, along with two bonus points for pegging the team's record for that month. Additionally, predicting the players and rookies of the month will give you a point each. Additionally, you can earn points by accurately guessing the "Nelliepoints" leaders. (more on that later). You can post predictions at any time, but I'll be updating this in shorter intervals than months, so points for predicting games already recapped, along with Nelliepoints leaders will be void.

NELLIEPOINTS:

This season, coach Don Nelson will be giving points to the players who put up the three best performances in a given game. The best player gets 3 points, second best gets 2 and third best gets one. Before each month, you can guess who will finish with the most, second most and third most points at the end of the month. Accurately predicting a player to be in the top 3 is one point, predicting them in the right slot is two. Further details on Nelliepoints to come.

INCENTIVE:

Winners get bragging rights, a cookie, but most importantly, a berth in the 2010 draft class, joining guys like John Wall, Derrick Favors and Donatas Motiejunas. Top 5 scorers in the prediction game at the end of the season will be put in the draft, with the highest scorers getting higher ratings.

EXAMPLE:

Code: Select all
[b]@ Grizzlies:[/b] W
[b]Vs. Hornets:[/b] L

[b]East Player:[/b] LeBron James
[b]West Player:[/b] Kobe Bryant
[b]East Rookie:[/b] James Harden
[b]West Rookie:[/b] Ricky Rubio

[b]Nelliepoints Leaders:[/b]

1. Monta Ellis
2. Steve Nash
3. Stephen Jackson

Ask me if you have any questions. I also filled out the team roster section, if you want to preview the rotation or see what the roster looks like now. I'll post the first schedule soon so everybody can make their predictions. I just want to do a couple more recaps before the season starts. (It will start soon, I promise!)
Lamrock

Re: NELLIEBALL! - Offseason 2009 + Prediction Game Announcement

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:13 pm

I'm very very happy Marcus Williams has a new home and you've got yourself a draft pick in return. Fair trade.

Not happy about Yao and Bosh teaming up. Danny Granger and Brandon Roy? VERY NICE :)
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Re: NELLIEBALL! - Offseason 2009 + Prediction Game Announcement

Postby Lamrock on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:30 am

Nellieball Chronicles

Prologue

"Jackson for three - YES!", the television exclaimed, as the Warriors took a twelve point lead over the Dallas Mavericks in game 6 of the 2007 Western Conference Quarterfinals. Somewhere in Seattle, Liam Washburn did a fist pump and typed furiously on his keyboard.

Stephen Jackson looked up at the scoreboard: Golden State 111, Dallas 86. He saw the sea of people wearing "WE BELIEVE" T-Shirts, Charles Barkley now among them and smiled. The crowd, the team, everyone was going wild. Rookie Patrick O'Bryant asked why they were celebrating so much even though it was the first round, and received several "Shut the fuck up rookie!"s in the process.

It was the greatest moment in Warriors history. The future is bright. "We're gonna kill Houston or Utah!" "Take us seriously now, Barkley?!" "JAH VIKTORY IS GOOOD!" The crowd was electric, everything was perfect. They weren't champions, but they were good as. They believed.

Two years later...

The Warriors trudged into the locker rooms. It was fan appreciation night, so naturally they lost by 29 points. A chalkboard read "depth chart" with 7 players listed under the shooting guard position. Next to it, was the draft board, with the top shooting guard prospects circled. Captain Stephen Jackson went to the press conference to half-heartedly say how sorry they were, and how much better they would be next year, though neither truly believed it. Then, something magical happened.

Warriors owner Chris Cohan walked into the room, causing all the Warriors players and coaches to groan. "I have terrible news, I'm afraid that due to the economic crisis, I must sell this team," he said, wiping away a tear. The Warriors all cheered and high-fived each other. Finally, Stephen Jackson asked, "to who?".

"Charles Barkley!"

"Ha HA. Seriously though?, Monta Ellis inquired.

"I am being serious. I even have a picture to show you," he said, pulling out a picture of him shaking hands with Charles Barkley, who was clad in a "We Believe" T-shirt. "Its a pity too. We were so close to getting that Anthony Randolph-for-Ricky Davis swap done. Well, goodbye everyone," Cohan said, and he was gone.

"Wow. He even managed to fuck this up", said Kelenna Azubuike.

"Who cares! He's gone! Drinks on me", Captain Jack said.

Brandan Wright inquired "Thats not such a go-"

"Shut the fuck up, sophomore," Jackson said, whipping out a gun.

Meanwhile...

Liam Washburn had been job searching to no success. 'Wow, maybe I shouldn't have left the Hawks... naw, I had to', Liam thought to himself. At that moment, he saw that he had mail - from Charles Barkley!

Liam didn't remember much from his meeting with Charles Barkley. He had woken up the next morning extremely hungover and wearing a sash that said "WARRIORS GENERAL MANAGER". Yes! he exclaimed, as he cracked an egg and made a hangover remedy.

The next few weeks were very busy for Washburn. He groaned, as he watched the Lakers win yet another championship, spent hours in trade negotiations trying to trade up to get Spanish phenom Ricky Rubio, and learning his way around the Bay Area. Still, he was thrilled to be there. He thought the Warriors organization would be even worse off than the Hawks, but he was wrong. They had janitors!

Washburn was very popular with the Warriors players at the beginning, with his promises of greatness. However, his trading of Kelenna Azubuike, Brandan Wright and Jamal Crawford rubbed some players the wrong way, especially Stephen Jackson, who Liam was absolutely frightened of, especially after seeing his new back tattoo of a hand clutching a gun.

He was nervous walking into the first Warriors practice. He invisioned Steve Nash teaching Ricky Rubio how to pass it behind the back to the other team and not defend. He thought of Marco Belinelli and Ron Artest forming a mafia within the team. He saw Anthony Randolph and Andris Biedrins blowing out their knees. However, when he arrived at practice, he was pleasantly surprised to see the new teammates getting along. Liam grinned. 'This is going to be a good year'
Lamrock

Re: NELLIEBALL! - Offseason 2009 + Prologue

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:15 am

Putting your chapter in the quote does look good actually (Y) But don't worry, I won't steal your ideas :P Good opening!
Fresh8

Postby Lamrock on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:25 am

The one mark I've made on this forum is starting the trend of recaps in quotes. I thought the chapter was a little weak (writing fiction is really hard for me), but I have some plans of this story.

Game recaps start in a couple days. I'm actually 6 games in, and I'm gradually getting used to the team and getting my sliders right. I still want to get a couple more things up before the season starts, and hopefully get this thread to page 3 by the time I start!
Lamrock

Postby nba_baller on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:54 am

Haha, nice prologue! LOL at Captain Jack pulling out a gun.
nba_baller

Postby Valor on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:06 am

nice writeup man, looks like you are officially back into making a great dynasty/association again :D
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby 33_ALLDAY_33 on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:20 am

LMAo at Jackson pulling a gun to Brandon Wirght.

Nice write-up nonetheless, man. Keep it up. (Y)
33_ALLDAY_33

Postby Lamrock on Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:18 pm

nba_baller, Haha, thanks. I didn't think it was a very good chapter, but I'm glad you liked that bit.

Valor, Thanks man. Looking forward to your next dynastassociation. Sucks how precarious 2K9 PC is with saving though.

33_ALLDAY_33, Looks like Captain Jack is going to be a fan-favorite player. Won't trade him then. Thanks for following!

Next recap'll be the Warriors season preview. THEN the season will begin!
Lamrock

Postby kibaxx7 on Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:16 pm

Nice prologue (Y) Looking forward to the season preview and Rubio playing!
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Drunken Master (1978), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:16 pm

The one mark I've made on this forum is starting the trend of recaps in quotes. I thought the chapter was a little weak (writing fiction is really hard for me), but I have some plans of this story.

For sure, it looks a lot neater on the page. I mean, I didn't mind with the old forum layout but this one, putting the words straight on it doesn't look that good. It's ok, storytelling isn't everyone's forte. Just work to your strengths (Y) And your story isn't that bad.
Fresh8

Postby Lamrock on Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:16 pm

The Warrior Zone wrote:
|---THE WARRIOR ZONE---|

Warriors 2009-2010 Season Preview

October 23, 2009, 9:48 PM - Liam Washburn has already made massive shake-ups to the Warriors roster. While 4 of the 5 starters were there last year, and there will only be 2 or 3 active rotation players, this is a very new team. Say goodbye to half the team's shooting guards and hello to 2-time MVP Steve Nash, and #2 overall pick Ricky Rubio. The players contributing half of the Warriors' scoring have been dealt or let go, essentially for those two point guards.

Washburn's "less is more" modifications have turned the Warriors into a far more balanced and cohesive team - at least on paper. How well this more traditional roster structure works under Don Nelson's unconventional coaching remains to be seen. Don Nelson has claimed that he is excited to have Steve Nash as his point guard again. The Warrior Zone ran a poll finding the consensus record projection for the 2010 Warriors. The result was a 46 win season, likely good for a low playoff seed.

Anthony Randolph is expected to get the starting power forward nod. Randolph is a fan favorite who finished off last season strong. He is expected to be a most improved player candidate - some say even an all-star. Captain Andris Biedrins will start at the 5, teaming up with Randolph to give Golden State something they haven't had in years: a frontcourt that dominates the boards. Backing them up will be draft steal Darko Milicic and frenchman Ronny Turiaf.

Monta Ellis and Stephen Jackson are expected to reprise their roles as starting swingmen. Monta Ellis missed most of last season with a moped injury, killing the Warriors' season before it began. If Wheelie McGee stays away from mopeds and builds on his 20 PPG 2007-08 season, the Warriors could have their first all-star since Latrell Sprewell in 1997. Meanwhile, Captain Jack is getting older, but his shooting, experience and defense should make him a great guy to have on the floor. Corey "Spaggetti" Maggette will come off the bench as a sixth man.

The point guard position will be manned by former MVP Steve Nash and Spanish phenom rookie Ricky Rubio. Nash is expected to start, but it is likely that the two players will split the minutes. The Warriors may look for a project backup point guard in the 2010 draft with one of their 3 picks, but the Warriors are likely set at the position for years to come. Ideally, Nash will do what he did for the Phoenix Suns and revolutionize their offense. Rubio meanwhile, has Nash's court vision, but is also a very skilled and annoying defender.

All in all, it looks like a very exciting year for Warriors basketball. This season could end up being another disappointment. However, with Chris Cohan out, I can give the Warriors something I never could before: the benefit of the doubt.

2008-09 Record: 29-53 | Consensus Projected 2009-10 Record: 46-36

Players Added:

Steve Nash - Free Agency
Ricky Rubio - Draft
Darko Milicic - Trade
Chase Budinger - Draft
Brian Cardinal - Trade
Kyrylo Fesenko - Free Agency

Players Lost:

Kelenna "KA7... we're creative" Azubuike - Trade
Jamal "Crawful" Crawford - Trade
Brandan "Wrong" Wright - Trade
Marcus "glad we got that conditional first rounder back..." Williams - Trade
CJ "Disaster" Watson - Free Agency
Rob "the 14th man" Kurz - Free Agency
Jermareo "the 15th man" Davidson - Free Agency

Projected Rotation: (Position: Player (2008-09 P/R/A)

PG - Steve Nash (15.7/0.7/9.7)
SG - Monta Ellis (19.0/4.3/3.7)
SF - Stephen Jackson (20.7/5.1/6.5)
PF - Anthony Randolph (7.9/5.8/0.8)
C - Andris Biedrins (11.9/11.2/2.0)
----------
6 - Corey Maggette (18.6/5.5/1.8)
7 - Ricky Rubio (--/--/--)
8 - Darko Milicic (5.5/4.3/0.6)
9 - Ronny Turiaf (5.9/4.6/2.1)

Projected 2010 Western Conference Playoff Picture:

1. Los Angeles Lakers
2. Portland Trailblazers
3. Houston Rockets
4. Sacramento Kings
5. San Antonio Spurs
6. New Orleans Hornets
7. Golden State Warriors
8. Dallas Mavericks
----------
Denver Nuggets
Minnesota Timberwolves
Phoenix Suns
Lamrock

Re: NELLIEBALL! - Offseason 2009 + Prologue + Season Preview

Postby Shabron on Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:00 am

"draft steal Darko Milicic" :mrgreen:
lmfao

yo i cant wait for you too start (Y)
Shabron

Postby Lamrock on Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:13 am

PREDICTION GAME: October/November 2009

With the game recaps starting in 2-3 days, I've decided to start the prediction game up. I'm likely going to do weekly check-ins with the occasional full recap, with large month-in-reviews. However, I am giving you all the month's games. You can jump in any time, but you can't get points for games I've already played. If you have any questions, please consult this post, as it is the hub of the prediction game. If that doesn't sort it out, just ask.

Here is the template to use for the first round of the prediction game!

Code: Select all
[b]@ Grizzlies[/b]
[b]Vs. Hornets[/b]
[b]Vs. Nuggets[/b]
[b]@ Raptors[/b]
[b]@ Cavaliers[/b]
[b]@ Bulls[/b]
[b]@ Pistons[/b]
[b]Vs. Spurs[/b]
[b]Vs. Mavericks[/b]
[b]@ Suns[/b]
[b]Vs. Pacers[/b]
[b]@ Wolves[/b]
[b]Vs. Lakers[/b]
[b]Vs. Nuggets[/b]
[b]@ Thunder[/b]
[b]@ Blazers[/b]
[b]Vs. Heat[/b]
[b]Vs. Raptors[/b]

[b]Predicted Record (18 games):[/b]

[b]East Player of the Month (NOV):[/b]
[b]East Rookie of the Month (NOV):[/b]
[b]West Player of the Month (NOV):[/b]
[b]West Rookie of the Month (NOV):[/b]

[b][u]Nelliepoints Leaders:[/b][/u]
[b]1.[/b]
[b]2.[/b]
[b]3.[/b]
Lamrock

Postby 33_ALLDAY_33 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:43 am

great read and it looks like you're going to have a strong roster heading into the season. Will you be running the nelliball scheme or a more traditional inside out game?
33_ALLDAY_33

Postby Lamrock on Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:47 am

I think I'll be running a hybrid of both. Offensive tempo is set to 100, and Monta is the first option on offense, but I'll still go to Randolph and Biedrins in the post often.

You should participate in the prediction game. Unlike Thierry's associations, this ones gonna be around for a long time, and the prize is to be a rookie in the 2010 draft class!
Lamrock

Postby kibaxx7 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:04 am

Lamrock wrote:Unlike Thierry's associations, this ones gonna be around for a long time

I can't wait until I get with my Heat to the playoffs. :twisted: Will later do the predictions man.
× Watching:
× Watched:
Drunken Master (1978), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Re: NELLIEBALL! - Season Preview + Prediction Game

Postby Lamrock on Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:21 am

Good luck with that. I hope the prediction format isn't too long...
Lamrock

Postby Eirsej on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:30 am

@ Grizzlies W
Vs. Hornets L
Vs. Nuggets L
@ Raptors W
@ Cavaliers W
@ Bulls W
@ Pistons L
Vs. Spurs W
Vs. Mavericks L
@ Suns L
Vs. Pacers W
@ Wolves W
Vs. Lakers L
Vs. Nuggets W
@ Thunder W
@ Blazers L
Vs. Heat L
Vs. Raptors W

Predicted Record (18 games): 10 - 8

East Player of the Month (NOV): LeBron James
East Rookie of the Month (NOV): Jordan Hill
West Player of the Month (NOV): Kobe Bryant
West Rookie of the Month (NOV): Blake Griffin
Nelliepoints Leaders:
1. Monta Ellis
2. Andris Biedrins
3. Stephen Jackson
Eirsej

Postby kibaxx7 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:40 am

@ Grizzlies W
Vs. Hornets L
Vs. Nuggets L
@ Raptors W
@ Cavaliers L
@ Bulls W
@ Pistons L
Vs. Spurs W
Vs. Mavericks W
@ Suns L
Vs. Pacers W
@ Wolves W
Vs. Lakers W
Vs. Nuggets L
@ Thunder W
@ Blazers W
Vs. Heat L
Vs. Raptors W

Predicted Record (18 games): 11 - 7

East Player of the Month (NOV): LeBron James
East Rookie of the Month (NOV): Jordan Hill
West Player of the Month (NOV): Kobe Bryant
West Rookie of the Month (NOV): Blake Griffin

Nelliepoints Leaders:
1. Steve Nash
2. Andris Biedrins
3. Stephen Jackson
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Fresh8 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:17 pm

@ Grizzlies W
Vs. Hornets L
Vs. Nuggets L
@ Raptors W
@ Cavaliers W
@ Bulls W
@ Pistons L
Vs. Spurs L