NBA 2K11 IGN Preview: "Basketball has never looked so good."

Talk about NBA 2K11 here.

NBA 2K11 IGN Preview: "Basketball has never looked so good."

Postby natche21 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:23 pm

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1109517p2.html

NBA 2K11 Preview
Basketball has never looked so good.
July 29, 2010

Last year's NBA 2K game was solid. There's no doubting that. It featured the same good looking gameplay that we're used to with an insane amount of fidelity in terms of the animations the series has always possessed. Yet, when I sat down with NBA 2K10, I found myself staring at a bunch of cool-looking basketball moves with the feeling of total control being a bit muted. But man, they sure did look great. While I'm happy to report that this year's NBA 2K still looks wonderfully polished even in the early build I just played, gone are all of those canned animations that constrained some of the action to looking more like a movie than a user-controlled basketball game.

This year, just about every single animation can be broken out of and altered in some way. Going for a layup but see a center looming in the lane? Simply alter your shot by tapping the shot stick in either direction (this can also be used to trigger different dunk types, including one that forces your player to hang on the rim after flushing it). In-air collisions that alter your set animations are also in; so even if you don't willfully change your shot, chances are a big center like Yao Ming is going to alter it (and, in turn, your body) for you.

Of course, interruptible animations aren't confined to driving the lane and shooting the rock. Dribbling animations can be interrupted just as easily. First, let's go over how the dribbling mechanics have changed. Rather than holding the right trigger and the left trigger or just the left trigger or some weird timed combination of the two of them, the left trigger holds most of your dribbling moves this year. Simply holding the left trigger and maneuvering the left stick gets you all sorts of moves, but this year they should all make sense.

If the ball is in your right hand and you flick it to the right, he's going to feign a crossover. If you then bring the left stick over to the left, the animation is going to bridge to a full crossover. Of course there are also variants of the crossover from there. Through other finite motions with the left stick (such as going from the left to tapping to the right to going back to the left) you can pull off things like an in and out and a double crossover. Spin moves are pulled off how you'd expect, but in NBA 2K11 the stars of the game make better use of them than ever before.

You know how Kobe does that little spin move directly into a pull-up jumper? Lakers haters despise it, I'm sure, but that's not stopping it from making an appearance in this year's game and looking great. Speaking of Kobe, players can now do his annoying size-up dribble (and pretty much any other player's size-up move) by holding the left trigger. If you hold both triggers you'll instantly enter a post-up position. Players can use this anywhere on the hardwood, which means you'll be able to bring the ball up the court Gary Payton-style if you want.

This year's "Videogame Team" as 2K Sports put it. Meaning everyone is going to use them.

The depth of the new dribbling mechanic is huge. Far beyond anything I could grasp in my short demo. Thankfully the 2K developer, who was kind enough to beat the piss out of me in my first game, showed what a little practice could bring. He was pulling off moves like the Euro-step layup all over my grill and everything I saw looked great in motion.

While dribbling was no-doubt a huge focus for the development team at 2K Sports, the passing game has seen a similar number of refinements. Total Control Passing, a feature that made its debut in NBA Live 10, is being brought to NBA 2K11. Simply hold the right shoulder button and you'll be presented with the typical icon passing prompts, then you'll need to either press or hold a player's button to get him the ball. Pressing it will pass it instantly while holding it will allow you to control that player manually until the button is released, at which the point the pass will be made.

Play calling has also seen a great overhaul. I've never been one to spend the time calling plays in a basketball game -- call me a newbie if you must – but this year's game is going to change all that. Now all you have to do is tap the left shoulder button to bring up what looks like the same Total Control Passing button prompts, but this time when you press a player's icon you'll be presented with a list of plays for that player. You can also instantly become that player with a press of the right shoulder button and send him on a cut in any direction you want with a flick of the right stick.

Oh, and cuts to the basket are finally made with a sense of urgency so that it will be painfully obvious when you've missed an open man streaking to the hoop (as I did during the demo). If you want to intentionally miss the guy cutting, you could always fake the pass (new this year) with the B button (Circle on PS3), causing the defender to swipe at the ball and drive to the hole instead. Of course, you can run a list of plays by pressing the appropriate button on the list. This year, each team has a list of roughly 30 authentic plays that 2K got right from the coaches with over 1,000 true-to-life plays overall.

Give it a kiss off the glass, Tim. You big pansy.

It's that sort of attention to detail and authenticity that really makes NBA 2K11 what it is. Lebron James feels like Lebron James, and he damn sure looks like Lebron James. His jumper, his crossover, the way he finishes at the hole, the way he runs up court; it's all vintage King James. 2K Sports put a lot of emphasis on making sure that the players always moved in some sort of rhythm so as to avoid looking like robots at any point. There are still some transitions between animations that need some work, but for the most part they've nailed it even at this early stage.

Physical play (bodies jostling in the post or when a player drives to the lane) is getting an overhaul this year as well. If you played last year's FIFA game from EA Sports, you'll know what to expect from NBA 2K11. In other words, you're always able to have a sense of control even if your player is bumping into someone else on the court. No matter the collision, the goal of the development team is to ensure that players always feel like they're in control of their player's weight and momentum. I didn't get a chance to get a feel for the feature yet, but I'll be sure to dive a bit deeper the next time I get my hands on the game.

In case you haven't figured it out by now, there are a lot of gameplay changes in NBA 2K11. Far too many to be dished out in a single preview. Rest assured, if you were someone who hated the feeling of being out of control in last year's game, you shouldn't have that problem with NBA 2K11. From spin moves that branch into one-armed pump fakes to those that end in jump shots to dribble animations that can branch into any number of moves, 2K11 seems to have really nailed the look and feel of the NBA with the gameplay revisions.

Thankfully the graphics follow suit with some of the most realistic player faces ever seen in a basketball game. The framerate still needs some work during transitions between gameplay and shots of players on the sideline, but for the most part everything runs well. Oh, and the cheerleaders have seen a visual upgrade as well. I'm not kidding; the Lakers girls actually did look quite nice.

We'll have a lot more information on NBA 2K11 as we get closer to the October 5 release date – including information on how Michael Jordan fits into all this madness – but until then, feast your eyes on some fresh screens.

Last edited by natche21 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
San Antonio SPURS 1999 2003 2005 2007 2014 NBA Champions
natche21

Re: NBA 2K11 IGN Preview: "Basketball has never looked so go

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:26 pm

Sounds pretty good to me, though I still prefer the approach of performing dribbling moves with the right stick. Still, I can see myself spending some time with NBA 2K11 this year.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:26 pm

looks pretty, will read in a minute
Simply alter your shot by tapping the shot stick in either direction (this can also be used to trigger different dunk types, including one that forces your player to hang on the rim after flushing it).

YES homage to Kobe Bryant Courtside 2000?
If you hold both triggers you'll instantly enter a post-up position

Hopefully they fix the 360 controller issues for the PC version and use xinput to make the triggers work on a separate axis without having to use xbcd drivers
seems like they incorporated a lot from live 10 (wang) but im excited.....didnt see anything about right stick dribbling though
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby benji on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:56 pm

Total Control Passing, a feature that made its debut in NBA Live 10, is being brought to NBA 2K11. Simply hold the right shoulder button and you'll be presented with the typical icon passing prompts, then you'll need to either press or hold a player's button to get him the ball. Pressing it will pass it instantly while holding it will allow you to control that player manually until the button is released, at which the point the pass will be made.

Really? Really?

Hell, it's not even the first sports game to have a feature called that, let alone the first basketball game to have icon passing.
benji

Postby KobeZoom24 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:27 pm

that sounds really good...
natche21 wrote:Physical play (bodies jostling in the post or when a player drives to the lane) is getting an overhaul this year as well. If you played last year's FIFA game from EA Sports, you'll know what to expect from NBA 2K11. In other words, you're always able to have a sense of control even if your player is bumping into someone else on the court. No matter the collision, the goal of the development team is to ensure that players always feel like they're in control of their player's weight and momentum. I didn't get a chance to get a feel for the feature yet, but I'll be sure to dive a bit deeper the next time I get my hands on the game.
KobeZoom24

Postby JaoSming on Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:15 pm

benji wrote:
Hell, it's not even the first sports game to have a feature called that, let alone the first basketball game to have icon passing.

I miss CH2k8's Maximum Passing
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Tobiasz on Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:42 pm

Presentation looks good.. , and new moves.. :shock:
Tobiasz

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:54 pm

Play calling has also seen a great overhaul.......this year's game is going to change all that. Now all you have to do is tap the left shoulder button to bring up what looks like the same Total Control Passing button prompts, but this time when you press a player's icon you'll be presented with a list of plays for that player. You can also instantly become that player with a press of the right shoulder button and send him on a cut in any direction you want with a flick of the right stick.

Thank jeebus for the revamped playcalling. It means that we only have to press three buttons to call a play for any player unlike in 2K10 where calling a play for your SF will take you 5 button presses (d-pad right, LB/LT 3x, A/B/X/Y) that waste seconds off the clock.

This year, each team has a list of roughly 30 authentic plays that 2K got right from the coaches with over 1,000 true-to-life plays overall.

I sure damn hope so. I don't recall if the number of plays in 2K10 is similar or more compared to 2K9 but I felt that 2K10 had less plays even with its option to call more plays. I also recognized plays from 2K9 that have been revamped for 2K10, possibly to make it less effective as some plays in 2K9 can be ruthless cheesed when used against the cpu. I want new and more play variations!
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby benji on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:02 pm

shadowgrin wrote:possibly to make it less effective as some plays in 2K9 can be ruthless cheesed when used against the cpu.

Hey, those perimeter cuts took me from 30 apg to 20 apg!
benji

Postby The X on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:58 pm

Fake passes, I love it :P

JaoSming wrote:
benji wrote:

I miss CH2k8's Maximum Passing

Agreed, I might have to fire it up again. Love playing the bounce pass to the player making the backdoor cut (Y)
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby dennis09 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:14 pm

natche21 wrote:http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1109517p2.html

This year's "Videogame Team" as 2K Sports put it. Meaning everyone is going to use them.

It's that sort of attention to detail and authenticity that really makes NBA 2K11 what it is. Lebron James feels like Lebron James, and he damn sure looks like Lebron James. His jumper, his crossover, the way he finishes at the hole, the way he runs up court; it's all vintage King James. 2K Sports put a lot of emphasis on making sure that the players always moved in some sort of rhythm so as to avoid looking like robots at any point. There are still some transitions between animations that need some work, but for the most part they've nailed it even at this early stage.

Wow this is what im talking about the real James has come to life to 2ksports GOD thanks :bowdown: ha-ha-ha-ha im really excited about this hopefully they will change the double rubbers like king james on the rubbers of james... I cant wait my hands to dunk over DH12 hahahah.. also the presentation well polished compared last year i think that idea of presentation is taken from live 09 coz live 09 is using the cfs of the players to present as a portrait before the game but in that presentation the bodies are presented unlike live 09 only their faces and neck are presented but well polished though

In case you haven't figured it out by now, there are a lot of gameplay changes in NBA 2K11. Far too many to be dished out in a single preview. Rest assured, if you were someone who hated the feeling of being out of control in last year's game, you shouldn't have that problem with NBA 2K11. From spin moves that branch into one-armed pump fakes to those that end in jump shots to dribble animations that can branch into any number of moves, 2K11 seems to have really nailed the look and feel of the NBA with the gameplay revisions.

So this means that we can apply nasty dunks after the spin moves.... Wow this should be like SHAQ when he was in lakers postup spin move and dunk and hanging his hands around the rim WTF :crazyeyes: Also the controls are similar to elite.
dennis09

Postby Deyman on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:39 am

Oo a preview of the presentation in NBA 2K11? :cheeky:
anyways. I can't wait to try NBA 2k11. I'm gonna get it the day it comes out. :mrgreen:
Deyman

Postby Lean on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:35 am

I see Wade in the shadow of LeBron there. :lol:

Anyway, my hopes of a revamped My Player mode are still up.

EDIT:

dennis09 wrote:Also the controls are similar to elite.

We will never know unless both games are out.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Richarade on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:21 am

I couldn't careless about the similarity in the control systems. The most important aspect for both games is the gameplay and the AI intelligence. Both game already have the control that may not be perfect but is pretty passable for casual players. Elite is getting really awesome with the new system and all but it would all come down to which one is more playable and bug free.
Richarade

Postby CNPG-qzm on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:58 pm

good job for 2K Sports
2KLIVECN(Game.Sports.Life)-http://www.2klivecn.com
CNPG-qzm

Postby tashoastaire on Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:28 pm

D-Wade should have been the one in the center! (N) (N) (N)
Last edited by tashoastaire on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tashoastaire

Postby Angelo on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:16 pm

It would have been but Lebrons Ratings are much higher
Angelo
Holy Tits
NLSC Team Member

Postby tashoastaire on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:27 pm

but I know wade has a better clutch rating than lebron,right baby bro?
tashoastaire

Postby JaoSming on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:45 pm

tashoastaire wrote:baby bro?

:?:
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby tashoastaire on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:01 pm

kris is my little brother
tashoastaire

Postby Angelo on Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:09 pm

:mrgreen:
Angelo
Holy Tits
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:23 am

Prove it. We want birth certificates.
Proof or ban.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby JaoSming on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:21 am

who should I ban for no proof? Kris, or tashoastaire, who I say who?!
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby tashoastaire on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:36 am

hahaha! ask kris guys! :cheeky:
tashoastaire

Postby JaoSming on Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:09 am

c'mon man, you cant throw your baby brother to the wolves like that

eh, im done giving you two crap, enjoy the forums