NBA 2k19 Xbox One X Extended Gameplay

Talk about NBA 2K19 here.

Re: NBA 2k19 Xbox One X Extended Gameplay

Postby ThePointForward on Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:12 am

Lagoa wrote:Damm! 2k Art team are JOKE for the last 6/8 years?? JESUS!!!

Look this lights, look this fucking floor textures! It´s the same textures for 2k11!!!!!!

Well, that wasn't very constructive and the 2K11 hyperbole didn't help either.

Since you actually make courts as mods have you considered applying for a job with VC's art team?
Or tried "just" contacting them, politely, with your work and constructive feedback on how they can improve the visual side of the game?
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby spacecake on Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:23 am

modded 2k18 by 2kdevs. I'm still buying it though :(
spacecake

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:37 am

Dommy73 wrote:
Lagoa wrote:Damm! 2k Art team are JOKE for the last 6/8 years?? JESUS!!!

Look this lights, look this fucking floor textures! It´s the same textures for 2k11!!!!!!

Well, that wasn't very constructive and the 2K11 hyperbole didn't help either.

Since you actually make courts as mods have you considered applying for a job with VC's art team?
Or tried "just" contacting them, politely, with your work and constructive feedback on how they can improve the visual side of the game?

I mean, I've seen a lot of people start out being constructive, but over the years have gotten frustrated with the continued issues and now lash out more. People have a right to be frustrated, but there obviously a right and wrong way to go about it exists.

Yes, the 2K11 comment isn't 100% accurate, but his general point is valid. The court colors are not even close to accurate, the dark arenas are very unrealistic and kill the atmosphere, just overall the game kind of has a "dead" feeling. We have lost reflections, good court lighting, decent and more body types, more accurate floor colors, etc. People are noticing more now how much the graphics have regressed since 2013 (When 2K14 for this gen was released). This is causing some of the lashing out.

Also, 2K14 was released on THIS gen. It's the same gen 2K18 and 2K19 are released on, same systems. So, naturally, when people see the graphics not improving or atleast staying up to par, but most importantly getting worse, obviously questions should be asked and people will be disappointed. It's a simulation basketball game that is mimicking the real life sport, which is why court colors (which can be created accurately and adjusted by amateur modders), and terrible unrealistic lighting (Which some modders fix with globals/shaders) being so off is really frustrating and to a lot of us falls on laziness, or ulterior motives, or bad direction, or flat out different priorities.

More importantly, the video shows a lot of bad defense (As I stated prior) where players are not helping, or looking lost, or being backdoored easily. As stated prior, the skating from 2K18 is also still present, and Smoove has already stated "The blow bys are absolutely still in the game".

So my frustration with 2K is at an all-time high. Of course, I will try the game and give that hands on impression, but I am pretty realistic about these things. And, it doesn't look promising. And, I myself have reached out to 2K about the issues, even showing my concerns with video evidence. I have tweeted at/contacted Mike Wang, and even through some feedback at Ronnie 2K (Obviously that won't do anything). All of these issues have never been met with a response, the only one that was met with a response was my camera view issue.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby jayzmagz on Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:56 am

I agree with Dee, we have been complaining about the color and minimized reflection of the floors for years and they still don't do anything about it.
They keep adding things like the blimp, falling shirts, etc. but they still don't fix the dark lighting in the crowd that we have been asking for them to fix for a long time, yeah they add things to make the game look like a real life basketball game but they keep ignoring the simple things that makes the atmosphere even better.

I rather exchange 2K14 lighting/reflections/atmosphere to those blimp, falling shirts, etc. during time out since we usually skip those things when playing.
jayzmagz

Postby ThePointForward on Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:31 am

Oh don't think that I don't believe the criticism is valid. Problem is in the form of making those, which is very poor.

As a developer (not game, but still software) I can tell you that developers do not make priorities. That is in competence of some product manager or producer who's job is to make best sellable product as possible.
The guys who actually create textures for all kind of stuff likely have some backlog of tasks sorted by priority.

I personally decided to go to Live 19 first and double dipping into 2K later in the season, possibly with some discount. Unless the Live 19 demo is absolute catastrophe of course.
I just decided to go for a game I've had more fun with this last iteration.

As far as feedback goes for art... There are credits in the game, I'd try to bypass Ronnie or Mike and look for the art team people on Twitter. And this is where I have to stress to keep it 200% civil.

And I do think the crowd hiding is because of performance, IMHO the further rows are less and less detailed and in order to hide that they switch the lights off. Remember, better looking doesn't necessarily mean it's using more performance power.
This is why I think they need to optimize and look for what is hindering performance. Then they can start improving graphics again.

BTW back to priorities... Last year we got the Neighbourhood. I was sceptical and then annoyed by the whole concept. But I remember that even here on NLSC someone was actually asking for "open world" stuff etc. So they delivered it as a huge feature that undoubtedly took a lot of resources from art team. And all the customizations here and there.
Remember that core NBA fans are minority of gamers, majority is obviously the kind that plays MyPark, buys IMO stupid looking clothes that have nothing to do with basketball, etc.

And finally, complaining is one thing, but swearing and name-calling doesn't help getting the point across. It actually does the opposite.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby [Q] on Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:41 am

That's a great point. As lazy as it seems with the lack of improvements in the art department, they make money off of the neighborhood, stupid looking clothes, haircuts, etc and don't make money off of realistic crowds and accurate court and jersey colors.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:45 am

Dommy73 wrote:And finally, complaining is one thing, but swearing and name-calling doesn't help getting the point across. It actually does the opposite.

No disagreement with this.

But the lighting looks intentional, but not for performance reasons (My opinion). The systems are the same as 2K14, even though "new" (And buggy) motion systems have been put in place, that doesn't make it so the reflections, floor COLOR, arena ambience, crowd lighting, body types, head sizes, etc all take a step back from 5 years ago. You will never be able to convince me of that.

But we have already spun out wheels on this in the other thread.

As stated prior, I will play the game like always and give that hands on impression. But as you stated and I have as well, the complaints are indeed valid.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:32 am

Polite, civil, and constructive feedback is definitely the way to go. Consider our own modding community: none of us likes to receive rude feedback about the projects we've worked hard on, and while there is a difference with one being available for free and the other being a product we pay for, the point still stands. Feedback that's clear and to the point, and doesn't force developers to wade through paragraphs of vitriol, stands a much better chance of being read and having a positive impact.

That being said, the frustration with certain issues is definitely understandable at this point. It's a situation where we need to be able to vent, take a deep breath, and then compile our constructive feedback. It's important to grumble and speak out in frustration to get it off our chests, but then we need to get to work putting together concise feedback that can hopefully make a difference.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:08 am

Dommy73 wrote:Remember that core NBA fans are minority of gamers, majority is obviously the kind that plays MyPark, buys IMO stupid looking clothes that have nothing to do with basketball, etc.

It's really the main problem of this franchise now.
2K want to sell more VC to these players (because they will buy useless stuff and attributes)
These guys dont really care about real basketball rules, but only want a perfect MyPlayer with perfect release and a "perfect" swag.
sticky-fingers

Postby aguifs on Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:33 am

Nba 2k18 all over.

This is the year for NBA Live
aguifs

Postby ThePointForward on Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:42 pm

Almost as if NBA Live devs read this discussion about contacting relevant people to pitch ideas being hard...

ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Sith on Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:11 am

2K19 TD GARDEN
LIVE 19 TD GARDEN
This world would be much better if people stopped doing useless things and started creating really good stuff...
Sith

Postby [Q] on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:36 am

2k seems to have a problem with getting court and jersey colors right. Also this weird thing especially on the players where it just looks fake, with no polish to it. It looks like the screen shot is on low settings or something
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby StyxTx on Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:30 am

Andrew wrote:Polite, civil, and constructive feedback is definitely the way to go. Consider our own modding community: none of us likes to receive rude feedback about the projects we've worked hard on, and while there is a difference with one being available for free and the other being a product we pay for, the point still stands. Feedback that's clear and to the point, and doesn't force developers to wade through paragraphs of vitriol, stands a much better chance of being read and having a positive impact.

That being said, the frustration with certain issues is definitely understandable at this point. It's a situation where we need to be able to vent, take a deep breath, and then compile our constructive feedback. It's important to grumble and speak out in frustration to get it off our chests, but then we need to get to work putting together concise feedback that can hopefully make a difference.

Isn't it funny how the ones who create the vitriol are the least willing to face it?

Is there any evidence at all showing how being polite, civil and constructive has done any good?

They already know the problems causing the anger, but rather than do something positive about it, they make them worse every year. Why bother wasting any time rehashing the same old issues?

2k has intentionally decided to take the money grab route and continues down the path it's chosen regardless of the negative feedback. Personally, I feel no more response or constructive feedback is necessary. Give 2k the rope to hang themselves.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:08 am

Generally speaking, expressing feedback in a calmer tone is more effective at getting your point across than screeching like a toddler throwing a tantrum. The former at least has a chance of being listened to, the latter is more likely to be tuned out (and rightfully so). A post that outlines problems with the game in a manner that's clear and to the point is infinitely more useful than a post that goes on a long, profane rant but doesn't actually mention any specific complaints.

The situation with microtransactions, frustrating as they are, is difficult to address in terms of feedback because those directives are coming from the suits who are looking at the profits. To the company, the profits made by the "recurrent revenue" and record-breaking sales are all the feedback they need. That's something the userbase can only address by choosing not to buy VC and/or boycotting the game. Easier said than done, at least on a large scale. There's vocal opposition to the practice, but the actions of the userbase at large don't match the words. It's an uphill battle.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby thelegend23 on Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:47 pm

What's really nice about NBA live is that they really have a nice looking court it's almost real. If only 2K manage to change the court and the stadium lighting this will look different and I don't think anybody would tell this is just nba2k18. The Cyberfaces are great but the court is basically the same every year :?
thelegend23

Postby StyxTx on Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:13 pm

Andrew wrote:Generally speaking, expressing feedback in a calmer tone is more effective at getting your point across than screeching like a toddler throwing a tantrum. The former at least has a chance of being listened to, the latter is more likely to be tuned out (and rightfully so). A post that outlines problems with the game in a manner that's clear and to the point is infinitely more useful than a post that goes on a long, profane rant but doesn't actually mention any specific complaints.

The situation with microtransactions, frustrating as they are, is difficult to address in terms of feedback because those directives are coming from the suits who are looking at the profits. To the company, the profits made by the "recurrent revenue" and record-breaking sales are all the feedback they need. That's something the userbase can only address by choosing not to buy VC and/or boycotting the game. Easier said than done, at least on a large scale. There's vocal opposition to the practice, but the actions of the userbase at large don't match the words. It's an uphill battle.

The point is, there is nothing else to say. Everything has been said ad nauseam. It has done no good. They haven't listened in the past, so what on earth makes anyone think they will in the future? Why bother continuing to talk about the issues? They intentionally are not going to fix the issues because people are still stuffing Take Two's pockets. Money talks loudest. At this point, talking is just spitting into the wind. What's that saying? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Talking, in any manner, is a complete waste of time when the people you're talking to are ignoring what you say. At that point, further steps are necessary.

It does amuse me how people let game companies slide when if they got treated the same way by a restaurant they would not longer patronize the restaurant. Go figure.

I read on a few forums where people say they are fed up with this problem or that problem that have been around for God knows how long, but are still going to buy the game, for this reason or that...and there is the problem.

My personal feeling is that if the game is that awful, and you continue to buy it, then there is no need to complain since, as you said, profits are the only feedback the company looks at and by buying the game you are implicitly saying to them the game is good enough even with the problems that never get solved. So, what incentive is there for them to fix the problems? The action of buying contradicts the words being spoken on the forums. If someone kept telling me over and over that a certain car sucks, then they go out and buy it, that does tend to damage their credibility.

Seriously, in any business, why would you be concerned about complaints if those people kept buying or using your product? Words don't hurt. Actions do.

Until their profits drop like a rock, they will not fix anything and continue further and further down the path they have chosen to take.

Not only do I no longer buy NBA 2k, but I don't buy any 2k games anymore. I realize my one person boycott doesn't matter to 2k, but it does to me and that's all that matters in the end.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:08 pm

I mean, if you feel there are never any satisfactory improvements and the issues you care about aren't being resolved and are unlikely to be, then that absolutely is the wisest course of action. Don't give them your money, don't support the product, don't waste any time discussing the situation or compiling feedback you feel will fall on deaf ears. That's understandable.

Off the top of my head, it's hard to make a definitive list of issues and situations where user feedback has made a difference, because a) there have been a lot of games over the course of many years and it's hard to recall certain situations exactly when it's been a while, and b) it's impossible to say what prompted all of the changes; user feedback, internal testing, long-time plans finally coming to fruition after setbacks, a combination of those things, and so on. With that being said, there are some examples of user feedback making a difference.

This year, it seems they've listened to the feedback in terms of the ability to skip cutscenes in MyCAREER (and the entire Prelude with any subsequent players you create), a choice to not play through a story in MyGM but instead have a more traditional experience with it (as in NBA 2K17 and earlier), the option of the NBA 2K17 style of shot meter, changes to the way Domination works in MyTEAM, and some of the other features discussed in the previews so far. Beluba has obviously been soliciting feedback on the minutia of gameplay mechanics as well.

Many general tweaks and improvements to Live and 2K over the years can probably be attributed at least in part to gamers saying they don't like something, or would prefer something to be a certain way, and when there's been a consensus and it's feasible, there have been positive changes and fixes. Not every year and not in every way that absolutely everyone wants to see, but the standout titles I believe have benefited from feedback that was presented in a way where it was coherent, to the point, and didn't require wading through the muck of 90% of it being profane insults. The bottom line is if you do want to give feedback and you are holding out hope that the games can get better, then being constructive in your feedback is the best approach.

Drawing comparisons with our own modding community, no one likes to have their work bashed, and if you are going to receive negative feedback, you'd prefer it to at least tell you what the complaint is rather than being a generic insult. For example, I once went back and forth with someone who told me my roster update for NBA Live (I forget which one now) was terrible and "full of mistakes". Despite the tone, I kept trying to find out what the problem was, and - after much prodding - they finally told me that a couple of players on the Lakers' bench weren't in the right order in the rotation. Putting aside the hyperbolic dismissal of the whole project as awful and full of mistakes because of one small error (that they could easily fix themselves), if they'd just come out and said "Hey I noticed this mistake on the Lakers' roster, just wanted to give you a heads up so you can fix it", it would've immediately gotten to the point and been far more useful feedback than the snark they initially threw at me. I really had to press them to get to the root of their complaint and find out what was wrong, because they couldn't be bothered doing anything but be insulting.

We do see a lot of that when it comes to video games and their development. There is frustration where it feels like good feedback is being ignored, and that's what sours a lot of people on bothering to give feedback. That's a problem. However, there's also a lot of snark, use of meaningless buzzwords like "trash" and "cartoonish" to rip into a game without really making a detailed criticism that explains what the problem is and why they don't like something, and long-winded rants (often sprinkling in Internet shorthand like SMH, LOL, and so on) that drown out any valid points and make the person look childish. So that's why I advocate being constructive if you're going to give feedback and want it to have any chance of making a difference. I think collectively, basketball gamers have been able to effect certain changes for the better, though not in every instance (either because it's been ignored/is unfeasible, or the loudest voices have demanded something that a lot of other people don't want; it happens, unfortunately).

Microtransactions are a tough situation, because it's a directive that's coming from above. The best we can do is point out when they're adversely affecting the experience and try suggesting ways they can be implemented without causing as much damage, since they're obviously not going anywhere. That stuff is an uphill battle because the suits see the games one way while the people in the trenches - the developers themselves - are trying to do the best they can, and have demonstrated a willingness to listen to feedback about stuff they can change. Again, we have to speak with our wallets on that front as much as anything else. It's a real problem with video games these days, and it remains to be seen whether the bubble will burst on the concept.

Anyway, what it comes down to is if you're done giving feedback and have given up on the possibility of the games improving to your satisfaction, not bothering and boycotting the games is probably for the best. It's a completely understandable position, too. On the other hand, if you do want to give feedback in the hopes it'll make a difference based on previous examples, it should be to the point, coherent, legible, constructive, and civil. If you want something read, make it palatable to read. If something is 90% insults and snark, one big run-on sentence with Internet slang and capitalisation of every word, or otherwise a mess that buries any valid point under piles of rudeness, incoherence, or both, you can't fault someone for not taking the time to wade through it. If you're going to give feedback, do it right. If you're not going to give feedback because you don't think it'll make a difference, that's a valid choice and up to you.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Midas Touch on Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:59 pm

StyxTx wrote:
Andrew wrote:Polite, civil, and constructive feedback is definitely the way to go. Consider our own modding community: none of us likes to receive rude feedback about the projects we've worked hard on, and while there is a difference with one being available for free and the other being a product we pay for, the point still stands. Feedback that's clear and to the point, and doesn't force developers to wade through paragraphs of vitriol, stands a much better chance of being read and having a positive impact.

Isn't it funny how the ones who create the vitriol are the least willing to face it?

Is there any evidence at all showing how being polite, civil and constructive has done any good?

They already know the problems causing the anger, but rather than do something positive about it, they make them worse every year. Why bother wasting any time rehashing the same old issues?

2k has intentionally decided to take the money grab route and continues down the path it's chosen regardless of the negative feedback. Personally, I feel no more response or constructive feedback is necessary. Give 2k the rope to hang themselves.

That’s a fact bro some things may never change
Midas Touch

Postby Midas Touch on Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:39 am

The only thing that may change the game is a bigger face disliking it or just sales being super trash.
Midas Touch

Postby Daex on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:29 am

StyxTx wrote:
My personal feeling is that if the game is that awful, and you continue to buy it, then there is no need to complain

Strongly disagree. If I were to not buy the game and keep quiet, nothing is going to happen. Game will sell massive amount of copies so my "protest" will only deprive me from playing latest release of virtual basketball. Even some kind of outreach similar to Star Wars Battlefront is not at all possible because the game is most prevalent on consoles, and console gamers + sports games gamers combo is on average way less informed and they swallow the microtransactions bs more easily.

So what I'll be doing is continuing to buy the game for as long as I feel like it, and also voice my feedback and opinion through every avenue possible, including responding to feedback threads where they specifically ask for feedback, chasing developers on Twitter, whatever.

It's immediately obvious from year to year changes, that when players request something, and it doesn't have a major clash with microtransaction profits, or it's not too much of a hassle, in some amount of cases they actually go ahead and implement the request. Case in point, historic draft classes. Personally I believed we were not being able to access all available players "normally" because of MyTeam profits. But, it seems that they simply couldn't figure out a good and simple way to provide those players. Or, they decided now that MyTeam wouldn't be impacted all that much... Whatever, this was popular request within the community to give us ability to access ALL the licensed players easily.
Daex

Postby bluejaybrandon on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:23 am

Artistically speaking, some tattoos missing but a lot of improvement regarding player hair updates.
bluejaybrandon

Postby sticky-fingers on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:29 am

clipping is not fixed, at least for coachs :roll:
sticky-fingers

Postby daavids19 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:30 am

I notice a much more physical play, with more contact and new animations , Its not enought but at least it's something
daavids19

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K19