Smackdown vs RAW 2009

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:29 pm

Well, no downloadable content so if they do provide new wrestlers PS2 players will miss out on that.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Chino on Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:12 pm

Oh yeah, that kinda sucks but I will just create CAW for the missing wrestlers if I ever buy SVR 09.
Chino

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:33 pm

Not long now until the game comes out. Who's planning on getting it?

Even though I was a bit underwhelmed with SDvRAW 2008, 2009 is looking pretty good so I reckon I'll pick it up as soon as it's available here. I really hope they follow through on releasing some DLC this year, surely it would be a perfect way to update existing wrestler attributes, attire and entrance music even if they don't offer brand new wrestlers to download. Still hoping for that, though.

Did anyone end up picking up the TNA Impact game? I haven't played it yet but it seemed to get some mediocre reviews.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby buzzy on Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:04 am

I will most likely get it as soon as possible. I got a 360 since spring of this year and wanted to pick up a WWE game but it never happened. Later on I didn't want to spend money on the 08 version so i decided to wait for 09.

The mode I'm definitley looking forward the most is Road To WrestleMania.
Even with all the new features like tag-team, CAF, etc. I still think I will spend the most of the time on playing the stories. From what has been leaked so far, it really looks awesome how everybody of the protagonists have their own story and how they behave like their real counterparts in the cut scenes and so on.
Too bad there won't be a single heel playable, as I'd love to play a story with Orton or Edge, but I'm sure those two will have a big impact on some storylines (Now with Hawkins and Ryder in, I think a Undertaker - La Familia feud is definitley going to happen).

DLC probably won't be as big as many anticipate. There probably won't be many new wrestlers, only really big ones who come back, like Jericho last year. Those, I think, could be added thorugh DLC. I, personally, would be satisfied with a couple more attires for a some wrestlers.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:53 pm

Absolutely, I don't expect frequent additions to the roster but they did hint at downloadable wrestlers and updated attire and music seem feasible as well.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby buzzy on Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:52 pm

Andrew wrote:Absolutely, I don't expect frequent additions to the roster but they did hint at downloadable wrestlers and updated attire and music seem feasible as well.

Andrew, guess what, DLC is going to be .. well ... incredibly awesome.

According to some who have the game already say that there's a option in the new My WWE mode where you can directly download the game updates.
Someone upped some videos on Youtube showing what DLC is going to be:

Watch them and you will be positively surprised:

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=SmarQMFv01M
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=RQG3V7-ZKfQ
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=RQG3V7-ZKfQ
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=XiSMpuHIKps
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=BvN9FYpJzKw
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=-9otDY-6J2M

I can't wait to play the Undertaker RTWM story, wonder what's with zombie Finlay and Santino :D
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:48 am

Great stuff. I wonder, if HBK and HHH's other attires are the DX ones.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:53 am

That's awesome, much more than I was expecting and much sooner. I'm definitely picking it up this week.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Unlockable Content @ WWE.com

The first code is for Attitude Era Jericho attire:
AltJerichoModelSvR09

It might be worth trying variations of that code to see who else has an alternate costume that can be unlocked through the cheat menu. Otherwise, they'll be posting updates on the official WWE website with more codes.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby buzzy on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:58 am

You also get the codes if you buy the game at Wal-Mart's.

Here are the other ones:

VinceMcMahonNoChance
UnlockECWDivaLayla09
UnlockSnitskySvR2009
BoogeymanEatsWorms! :D
UnlockECWTazzSvR2009
PlayAsJillianHallSvR

I won't unlock them via cheat though, gotta earn them through RTWM ;)
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:43 am

Are they all unlockable through RTWM though?
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby buzzy on Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:48 am

Believe so, yeah.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:21 am

Fair enough, guess I'll try it the hard way first and save the codes as a last resort.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:24 pm

New TV commercial at Operation Sports. Another "lighter side of the WWE" moment.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby buzzy on Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:42 pm

Sweet commercial. I'm hoping now that Hornswoggle won't be playable. Imagine the collison detection between him and Big Show - horrible.

Trunks attire for Jericho, probably via DLC
Based on that one

Good to see they'll release DLC that actually keeps the game up to date. Hopefully they won'T charge too much for the DLC. Maybe free? lol
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:24 pm

The commercial would suggest he is playable though you're right, the collision detection could be quite ugly to behold and I can't imagine he'd be worth playing. In years past, it's been bad enough trying to use wrestlers classified as cruserweights or light heavyweights again bigger wrestlers because they can't pull off half the moves in their moveset, even striking attacks. I get the feeling they'll be a Hornswoggle based XBL achievement though.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:28 pm

Picked it up this morning and so far I'm really liking it. Controls are essentially the same as last year so it's easy enough to pick up, though the new out-of-ring camera isn't necessarily a good idea. It preserves the WWE broadcast presentation approach but it's not ideal for gameplay. It might be a case of getting used to it but my first impression is that it wasn't necessarily the right move to make. I haven't played a tag match yet so I can't comment on how the new tag logic and moves work out but singles matches are pretty much the same. That's fine as far as I'm concerned but others might find it disappointing. I love the new roster management functions, being able to switch everyone between being a heel and a face, assign championships and switch brands.

I've started Undertaker's Road to Wrestlemania and while it's a limited choice you can tell a lot of work has been put into the storylines and the presentaion. The WWE broadcast style really adds to the atmosphere and while the commentary isn't perfect, the storyline specific commentary during Road to Wrestlemania matches is a really nice touch. What I really like is that it continues throughout the match, so it isn't like the old storylines where there'd just be some angle specific commentator voiceovers during the entrances or in the cutscenes but they'll talk a little about the angle during the match, just as in the real WWE. I don't know how much replay value they'll have beyond unlocking things but they're worth playing through.

I'm really impressed with the loading times in SDvRAW 2009, this has long been one of the most frustrating elements of the game even on the current generation of consoles but they've cleaned that up this year. Unfortunately, no Downloadable Content is available yet, hopefully that will be coming tomorrow or within the next week. Not to sound like a fanboy but after feeling a bit underwhelmed by the game last year, 2009 already strikes me as one of the stronger releases in the series. As I delve deeper I'll probably find some things I don't like but so far, so good. :)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby buzzy on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:16 am

Sounds good. I might get it tomorrow.

:lol: :lol:
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:07 am

At least his trunks aren't around his ankles.

[spoiler]The Undertaker's RTW takes a very disappointing turn. I guess it fits with his character but they seldom go that far with the supernatural aspects of his gimmick, especially in the current era. I guess you've got to roll with it but I'm disappointed they went the way that they did. I won't spoil it any further though.[/spoiler]

Fought a tag match last night and it's pretty cool. Your teammate does seem more helpful especially when it comes to the match winning pin. No more running over to clothesline the man on the apron just so that you can avoid getting a three count broken up so long as your teammate is in position to jump in and keep the other opponent at bay.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:49 pm

Seen some early videos, do they have Y2J's current theme in-game? I saw one which had a screaming-like voice singing Y2J's theme.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby buzzy on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:11 pm

Yeah pretty bad, no idea why the did that. I'm gonna upload his real theme once I get it.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby deihatein on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:57 am

Good reviews I have heard from the game so far. I have played the 08 in the last-gen and even though it has some dissapointing features it still a solid wrestling game. I sure do hope 09 will be more solid even in the PS2 version. BTW I have read that it's release date is Nov. 9 in america, then I will get it the exact same date of my birthday :D
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:53 am

Lean wrote:Seen some early videos, do they have Y2J's current theme in-game? I saw one which had a screaming-like voice singing Y2J's theme.

The one in the game is a more somber version of his theme.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:02 am

Never heard it in real life though. Did he ever used that version?
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:41 pm

This is the version they're using:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSYV4Gi1oJA[/youtube]

Somber wasn't really the right word to use, it's a bit slower than the theme he's used for most of his WWE career though.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic