Andrew's Chicago Bulls Dynasty (NBA Live 2004)

A collection of memorable stories from NBA Live's franchise and career modes.

Postby Ruff Ryder on Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:41 am

Maybe pip, he's getting a little old, whereas redd will be around for a while.

'Retired'

"You can’t drive a knife into a man’s back nine inches, pull it out six inches, and call it progress."-Malcolm X
Ruff Ryder

Postby FanOfAll on Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:54 am

Bucks wouldn't trade Redd...

a deal with Toronto or Portland is more likely in real life at least.
FanOfAll

Postby Ruff Ryder on Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:07 am

This isnt real life! This is NBA Live! You can do what you want!!!!!! :D

'Retired'

"You can’t drive a knife into a man’s back nine inches, pull it out six inches, and call it progress."-Malcolm X
Ruff Ryder

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:33 am

I'm actually more interested in Milwaukee's first round pick, as they'll likely own the top pick. The way they're going, they're sure to end up with a top four pick.

Milwaukee 98, Chicago 92

Mind you, the Bucks did end their losing streak. I remembered how to play defense, as you can see by the final score. Last time it was Tim Thomas who lit me up; this time it was the player with the best name in the NBA, Joe Smith. I led at halftime 51-47, so I probably shouldn't have lost this one. My offense let me down in the second half. I could slow down their scorers, but I just couldn't close the gap. They pulled out of reach in the last couple of minutes, giving me a loss to the worst team in my Dynasty.

Chicago 94, Philadelphia 84

Did someone say defense? Both teams seemed more interested in D than O, as I trailed the Sixers 18-15 at the end of the first. The second period saw more of the same, with the Sixers leading 40-39 at the half. Glenn Robinson was injured after committing a defensive foul, the first time I've seen the defensive player injured.

Philadelphia pulled away in the third, at one point leading by 14. I must pause to once again state that this is where NBA Live 2004 is better than any other game in the series. Because you can actually play defense, it's possible to mount a comeback on the harder difficulty levels. I was therefore able to get back into the game, and the game remained close heading into the fourth.

I outscored them 32-18 in the fourth on route to the 94-84 victory. This was probably one of my favourite games of the season so far because of the defensive effort of both teams.

Injury Update: Glenn Robinson will be out two weeks because of the injury he sustained in the game. Philadelphia already has a losing record, so I guess that won't help them much.

Chicago 104, New Orleans 102

I don't remember much about this game, except that Eddy Curry was injured in the first half when he attempted to dunk on Shawn Kemp. He was cleared to return, so I immediately subbed him back in. Injured elbow and all, he managed to score 28 points, grab 18 rebounds, dish out 9 assists and block 2 shots. Oh, and we barely escaped with a 104-102 victory when Baron Davis's three bounced off the back iron.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Vins15 on Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:58 pm

good read btw wut game r u into the season?
Vins15

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:33 pm

I'm now 20 games into the season, with a record of 12-8.

San Antonio 115, Chicago 111

I think I can best sum up this game as one I wanted to play but wasn't really paying much attention to. As a result, there were long stretches where there was little defense being played by both teams, and the final score would have been much higher if it wasn't for some poor shooting. Eddy Curry had another good game and Pippen had 21 points, but overall it wasn't a particularly exciting game despite the high score.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Mark. on Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:44 pm

Hey Andrew how do you play your D cos i always end up scoring between 100 - 140, my lowest scoring game being in a 111-107 loss to the lakers.....
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:56 pm

I try not switch players as much as possible. I also prefer to control my big men, as it allows me to switch to cut off penetrations off picks, and generally make sure the lane isn't wide open.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby FanOfAll on Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:33 am

Have you tried playing less minutes Andrew? Because I use your sliders for 8 min qtrs and i get very realistic scores.
FanOfAll

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:55 pm

I prefer to play 12 minute quarters. I have been getting fairly realistic results, but sometimes I play fairly lazy D, which leads to shootouts and high scores.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Vins15 on Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:28 pm

andrew anymore new games u've played?i'd like to hear about them..
Vins15

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:19 pm

I haven't had a chance to play any more games the last few days. As soon as I do, I'll post some more game reports, and maybe some stats.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jase23 on Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:00 am

Hi Andrew, your going much better than me in my bulls franchise, im last in the league. I play superstar, 10minutes. Ive had rose injurred for a couple weeks though.... and injuries to crawford and gill aswell which has taken away alot of my scoring. I rely heavily on Rose! And struggle to get production out of curry. Ive actually dropped him out of the starting 5 and givin blount his first start of the season. My record is like 5-12. Looking forward to Jalen coming back. But for now we must go on without him! Think next game is against the spurs!
Jase23

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:21 pm

I noticed Curry was having some ho-hum performances, but he's been playing well since I started giving him the ball more often.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:01 pm

OK, I've played another game.

Milwaukee 95, Chicago 93

I applied my latest sliders and increased the difficulty to Superstar, and I had a pretty competitive game that came down to one final shot. With the Bucks leading 94-93 with 9 seconds remaining, I had little choice but to put Michael Redd on the line. He made the first, missed the second, I managed to get the rebound and called timeout.

I actually spent about a minute deciding whether to go for the win or try to send it into overtime. I figured it would be more exciting to go for the win. Rose's three missed badly, and I failed to get the offensive board. Milwaukee ran out the remaining seconds and I dropped another to the Bucks, leaving me with a 12-9 record. I'm also 1-2 in the season series with the Bucks, who remain the worst team in the league at 4-19.

My next game is against Indiana, hopefully I can break the losing streak.

A decision

After saving the game, I tried trading Rose, Marshall and Baxter to the Raptors for Jerome Williams, Antonio Davis and Chris Jeffries. The trade will go through if I want it to. I didn't save the game, as I'm still deciding whether I should make the trade and follow the roster of the real Bulls, or make my own deals. I'm ahead of the real NBA schedule so it wouldn't be exactly realistic to make the deal, though it would provide a challenge similar to the one the real Bulls are facing.

Any suggestions? Should I let John Paxson dictate my gaming experience? Or should I do what I think is best?[/b]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Power And Proud on Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:04 pm

Andrew. You are the General Manager now. You make the tough decisions.

I am thinking about dealing Larry Hughes for a defensive SF or SG, I just don't know who. Ron Artest keeps popping into my head, but I don't want to do anything too drastic, especially since how I'm on a 9 game winning streak.
Power And Proud

Postby Jase23 on Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:13 am

wow andrew, when i went to make the deal it wouldnt let me, toronto wouldnt accept. Are you using real salaries like me?

I have the same prob, dont know if I should do the trade or not. I think we should maybe make our own decisions based on our styles ......... especially seeing as the computer teams are doing their own deals anyways which have changed their teams from the real ones.
Jase23

Postby Mark. on Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:22 am

Hey Andrew you mentioned your new sliders, are they the ones at the sliders post? or havent you updated them.
I would only do the trade if its gonna benefit your playing style, personally i wudt do the trade if i was the bulls, cos you wont have many scorers.
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:17 pm

MJForever wrote:Andrew. You are the General Manager now. You make the tough decisions.

I think that's how I'll play it, since I really don't like that Bulls-Raptors deal. :wink:

Jase23 wrote:wow andrew, when i went to make the deal it wouldnt let me, toronto wouldnt accept. Are you using real salaries like me?

No, I'm playing on the console. I'll probably start a PC Dynasty game after I release v1.01 of the current roster update.

match_66 wrote:Hey Andrew you mentioned your new sliders, are they the ones at the sliders post? or havent you updated them.

That's right, my latest sliders as seen in the sliders thread and also here in the Live 2004 section.

match_66 wrote:I would only do the trade if its gonna benefit your playing style, personally i wudt do the trade if i was the bulls, cos you wont have many scorers.

That's what I'm thinking. I might see how I go on Superstar with my latest sliders. If my current roster proves to be a problem, I might try shaking things up a little. But I won't do what Paxson did. :wink:

Thanks for your continued interest guys, I'll post more after I play a few more games. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Vins15 on Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:33 pm

c'mon do the trade plz...we Raps fans wanna get rid of Davis...how about sending Rose just for Davis or sumthing...try not to trade for Jerome Williams..
Vins15

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:43 pm

But if I was the Bulls' GM, it never would have happened. :wink:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby FanOfAll on Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:18 pm

I totally understand you not liking the trade Andrew (in real life). However, let my try to convert you.
In real life, Rose has been wanted out for awhile. He's been a cancer, a bad role model, a selfish player, a player who doesn't play D but yells at his teammates for not playing D. Then he takes the ball down the court and everyone knows that he's not going to pass. It sucks to give up Marshall, but you can't everything you want in a trade.
AD brings size to your frontcourt and a great mentor for Curry. Curry can't play defense for his life so AD can teach a few things (say what you want as Cartwright being a defensive center in his career, but he was the COACH not an assistant).
JYD brings more energy...imagine JYD and Tyson on the floor at the same time!!! That's all hustle in those players. In real life, Fizer will NOT cut it and Blount, as seen yesterday, can't shoot for beans...(man he bricks shots like no other).
However, there is a hidden bonus: the Bulls can now play Crawford at the 2 spot. He's a combo guard/street baller not really built to play the 1 in the NBA. HE doesn't have the instincts, the awareness, the experience, or the bball IQ to play 1. Nor the unselfishness...he's a score-first type guard and his better position is the 2, although he's a bit undersized.

This trade by Pax is more about chemistry, playing as a team, making sure the players fit the system, and adding defense, while subracting scoring. On the box score, you might not see a difference, but trust me, you will see a difference in the win column, espcially since Skiles has said that they will run (more reason to dump Rose!) ;).

The only bad part about this trade in real life...is the Bulls lost Lonny Baxter. Believe it or not, but he's a secret guy there with some ability to show the NBA what he can do. Don't say undersized - Barkely was 6'5", Baxter's 6'6". Baxter plays 110%...just needs some post moves...

The only bad part about this trade in the game, is that I understand the level of fun will mostly drop a bit, since after all, it's only a game and most ppl don't get pleasure from seeing JYD hustle and AD play D, making up for Curry's mistakes in a game...in a video game, I think we love to pour it on :D.
FanOfAll

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:57 am

Hmmm...I'd still rather not make the trade myself. :wink: I do see the positives in Chicago-Toronto deal, but I would have liked the KG trade that was rumoured during the offseason. :wink:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Mark. on Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:41 pm

Yeah or the Kobe one........
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:25 pm

Indiana 75, Chicago 71

A dedication to defense and poor shooting by both teams resulted in the second lowest score I've ever had playing 12 minute quarters in NBA Live. The score was 21-19 Indiana at the end of the first quarter, and 35-34 Indiana at halftime. The third quarter was much of the same, though I managed to take the lead with about 3 minutes left. The third quarter ended 48-45 in my favour, as the shooting percentages of both teams plummeted.

Both teams seemed to remember how to shoot in the fourth, and Reggie Miller, quiet throughout the first three quarters, exploded in the fourth and helped Indiana take the lead. While my defense remained strong, I couldn't finish at the other end, and the Pacers were able to remain out of reach for a 75-71 victory.

This current trend of great D but poor shooting down the stretch has me exploring a few trade possibilities. I'm looking to make a blockbuster that will bring in a star who can score in crunch time. Unfortunately, those players are few and far between, and aren't easy to acquire.

Rose/Marshall/Mason Jr for Iverson/Jackson

Iverson is one of the league's best scorers, and the Sixers are struggling. Ivy's lack of height might be a disadvantage, even with Crawford guarding the opposing shooting guard, but he's always a threat to score 40. Marshall hasn't been playing as well as his real life counterpart, and is the best player to package with Rose, since I'm not interested in trading Pip, Crawford, Curry or Chandler.

Unfortunately, the Sixers aren't interested in the deal. Unlike previous Lives, the CPU won't just accept a trade because the overall ratings are in their favour. They're very interested in Marshall and fairly keen on Rose, but they're not willing to give up Iverson.

Rose/Marshall for Garnett

I think I tried a few combinations, but this is the most appealing offer. KG would give me an awesome frontcourt teaming with Curry and Chandler, while Pippen and Crawford man the backcourt. Losing Marshall would not be such a blow if KG is coming the other way.

Unfortunately, Minnesota is near the top of the West and although they have interest in both Rose and Marshall, KG is a pretty special player and they're not about to let him go. Even if the Wolves were interested in dealing the Big Ticket, it would be a risky deal. As the console version was released before the real KG signed an extension, it isn't reflected in my Dynasty and thus he's free to leave at the end of the season. There's no guarantee that he'd want to stick around.

So, I'll continue to shop Rose, but I won't be making the deal with Toronto. It doesn't really solve the problems I'm having in my Dynasty.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live Stories Hall of Fame