Smackdown vs RAW 2009

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:15 pm

As long as they pick wrestlers who aren't likely to leave the company. That was one of the biggest problems with 2008, there were at least five or six wrestlers in the game who had left the WWE by the time it came out or weren't really appearing on TV very much. If they do any DLC this year, we might see an expanded roster as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby BZ on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:22 am

Being interested in wrestling again recently, I decided to pop over to Gamingring.com to check out the start of their SvR2009 coverage today, and wow... does SvR2009 look promising.

They have videos showing off an Orton vs HHH match in which:

- Orton does his signature Garvin stomp, new cutscene stalking RKO, Legend Killer punt, and a reanimated Orton backbreaker.

They also have a video of the C-A-F mode where they show how they made a Canadian destroyer. Definitely better and more enjoyable presentation than IGN has had so far.
BZ

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:32 am

IGN does have some decent coverage all the same though, I was just checking out their preview for Road to Wrestlemania and it looks pretty cool, a lot better than the generic storyline modes they've had in recent games.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby BZ on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:45 am

Andrew wrote:IGN does have some decent coverage all the same though, I was just checking out their preview for Road to Wrestlemania and it looks pretty cool, a lot better than the generic storyline modes they've had in recent games.

Sadly, it's restricted to only 6 wrestlers: Cena, Triple H, Jericho, Undertaker, Batista & Rey Mysterio. They could've at least fit in Orton and Edge, two of the best heels in the business right now.

IGN's coverage is quite lackluster this year. The countdown vids are too short, with a lengthy intro video, less than a minute of moves, and even when there are lengthy videos like the Friday Night Fight vids, they show close to nothing noteworthy. It might be the sad-as-always AI, or it might be that Greg Miller really fails at Smackdown despite his claims of the contrary. Either way, I feel the Gamingring vids showcase Smackdown much better than IGN would.

Nonetheless, Smackdown this year looks to be on the SvR2006 level, nothing like the last two forgettable games in the series.
BZ

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:14 pm

True, the lack of heels is disappointing. I like the idea of match specific commentary in the mode though and the more true to life presentation in the cutscenes with the copyright logo appearing as it does at the end of a real broadcast. It's a small touch but a good one if their aim is to make Road to Wrestlemania feel more like an interactive WWE broadcast.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby -Young Buck- on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:07 am

Pretty much a ton of confirmed wrestlers.... thanks to this roster page that wasnt supposed to be up yet.

EDIT. LOL THQ has just removed the link to the swf roster page.

SmackDown!
Big Show
Brian Kendrick
Carlito
Curt Hawkins
Edge
Festus
The Great Khali
Jeff Hardy
Jesse
Jimmy Wang Yang
Maria
Michelle McCool
Mr. Kennedy
MVP
Shelton Benjamin
Triple H
Umaga
Undertaker
Victoria
Zach Ryder

Raw
Batista
Beth Phoenix
Candice Michelle
Chris Jericho
Chuck Palumbo
CM Punk
Cody Rhodes
Hardcore Holly
JBL
Jillian Hall
John Cena
JTG
Kane
Kelly Kelly
Kofi Kingston
Lance Cade
Layla
Melina
Mickie James
Mr. McMahon
Paul London
Randy Orton
Rey Mysterio
Santino Marella
Shad
Shawn Michaels
Snitsky
William Regal

ECW
The Boogeyman
Chavo Guerrero
Elijah Burke
Finlay
John Morrison
Mark Henry
Matt Hardy
The Miz
Tazz
Tommy Dreamer
Hornswoggle
-Young Buck-

Postby BIG GREEN on Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:15 pm

Good roster ...cept R-truth, Jamie Noble, Katie Lea burchill and most importantly..evan bourne are missing. They'll probably make them downloadable though..who knows...
A big fan of the emerald hue and much higher state of being/
Yohance "thug" Bailey on the scene...now known as Big Green/
BIG GREEN

Postby Chino on Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:56 pm

WOw! Hornswoggle is included! 8-)
Chino

Postby mr2ksports on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:04 pm

do you think this game would be sexy? just like SvR 2006
mr2ksports

Postby buzzy on Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:26 am

I love the roster.
Let's hope DLC brings guys like Bourne, Noble or Carltio's brother Primo. [spoiler]He and Carlito are ging to win the WWE Tag Titles this Friday, sd I think he has a good chance of being included with the DLC [/spoiler]

I kinda wonder why Shannon Moore hasn't made it in. They're focusing on tag teams this year, so why is Jimmy Wang Yang in and Moore isn't?

Same with Cade, who is in, and Murdoch who isn't. Though Murdoch got released, right?
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:32 am

Decent roster this year, though I hope there are downloadable wrestlers as hinted at in some of the early producer interviews. All current singles champions are in the game, one of the World Tag champs is in the game and
[spoiler]one of the pending WWE Tag champs is in the game, with the current official champs both in the game[/spoiler]
which is pretty good considering how outdated the rosters in the last couple of games have been. Even better if we do get new wrestlers as DLC.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:32 pm

hmm Cody Rhodes but no Ted Dibiase Jr?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:42 pm

Indeed, so I guess the belts will be on Rhodes and Holly by default. If they are providing additional wreslters as DLC, I'd say Dibiase Jr is a prime candidate to be one of the downloadables.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby BIG GREEN on Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:09 am

koslov is getting a main event push...he should/would definitly be on the list of downloadable brawlers.
A big fan of the emerald hue and much higher state of being/
Yohance "thug" Bailey on the scene...now known as Big Green/
BIG GREEN

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:32 am

Yeah he seems another likely candidate.

WWE SVR 09: Career Mode Hands-on

Turns out that's the mystery mode THQ has been hinting at, a very bare bones career mode that sounds kind of like what they did in Wrestlemania 2000 and Acclaim did with WWF Attitude and WWF Warzone back in the day, except with a little more choice in opponents and matches. Sounds OK but not overly appealing to me, especially if it's the only way to boost CAW stats.

That's something I've never liked about the series' approach to created wrestlers, having to unlock/earn points for CAWs. It's fine if your approach is to create the one character for the purpose of playing through the modes and building them up, but if you want to create a bunch of missing/fictional wrestlers, building them all up is a real pain.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby buzzy on Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:01 am

Appearently the roster posted above is incomplete, because Trover Murdoch is confirmed by IGN, even though he has been released from the WWE.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/915/915128p1.html

So I think there's a good chance that Shannon Moore is in too.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:19 am

That would make him the only wrestler in the game no longer on the actual WWE roster. That has to be a record.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby -Young Buck- on Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:20 pm

More roster leak fun! 62 wrestlers with pre match pics. Shad is missing though. SO thats 63 wrestlers.

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg13 ... s/?start=0
-Young Buck-

Postby Chino on Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:47 pm

^ Thanks for sharing.

WOW! MVP looks really good! I hope that DLC would offer more wrestlers.

EDIT: I just want to share some videos showing the finishers of some wrestlers in the game.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Td0dr8C7uc[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcQsc620Dhg&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V7xlRimbaA&feature=user[/youtube]

I'm glad that they changed 619 animation but still some of the moves are the same like Batista Bomb.

Also, Randy's stalking RKO and punt kick.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04AfROdFY9c&feature=related[/youtube]
Chino

Postby buzzy on Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:10 pm

I'm so gonna beat his ass up.

Gaming Ring has posted a video about the new targeting system:
http://gamingring.com/news/?p=3234
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:03 pm

I like the effect on finishers this year, better than the use of slow motion or multiple replays they've used in recent years.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby buzzy on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:04 pm

It certainly is better than last year's but I think it still gets annyoing after some time.
I will turn it off right away.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby deihatein on Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:40 am

Nice to see some improvements from last year's game. Even though I think that the PS2 version will be downgraded, I would still buy it. Could someone tell me that the commentary is still stupid?
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:25 am

Apparently there's some good match specific commentary in Road to Wrestlemania and those videos revealed that there'll be commentary over post match celebrations but I don't think commentary in video games will ever be perfect.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Chino on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:21 pm

I read somewhere that the commentary improved a lot this year and it's more of play-by-play commentary.

Anyone know what would be the differences of PS2 and PS3/XBOX360 version of SVR 09 aside from graphics and online stuff?
Chino

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic