Andrew's Chicago Bulls Dynasty (NBA Live 2004)

A collection of memorable stories from NBA Live's franchise and career modes.

Postby Boyk on Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:17 am

andrew. does the cpu foul in the last 30secs or so in a close game???
coz that was a very annoying bug in 2003
Thanks to TEH G.O.A.T for Sig
Formerly known as Laddas
Watch out for Kobe,Melo n the Lakers!
Boyk

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:30 am

The end of game AI has been greatly improved. The CPU no longer just jacks up threes from three feet behind the arc (making most of them), and they will aggressively double team and foul in the final minute of a close game.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:59 pm

Chicago 102, Denver 98

Andre Miller had a pretty good game with 22 points, 9 rebounds and about 7 assists, and Melo chipped in with 20 points and 5 assists, but Rose scored 33. Denver held the lead just once, 78-77 with about 8 minutes left in the fourth. They cut into a ten point lead and had a chance to tie in the final minute. They were forced to put me on the line a few times, and I managed to seal the victory.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby chipper on Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:42 pm

Andrew wrote:The end of game AI has been greatly improved. The CPU no longer just jacks up threes from three feet behind the arc (making most of them), and they will aggressively double team and foul in the final minute of a close game.

Wow great news!

Andrew, can you also post standings and some league leader stats, say, every 2 weeks?
chipper

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:33 pm

Sure. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby kp4life on Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:24 am

so andrew do u agree with those people who say that the graphic in 2004 in worse than 2003? or the same?
kp4life

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:55 am

For the most part, they're the same or better. Some cyberfaces are better than others, but the game looks much better than many of the early screenshots. I have no complaints about the graphics.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Pirate on Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:12 pm

Andrew these reports are great...
I can't beleive how realistic the scores are one game 100 some 87 points. It's great. Thanks
Pirate

Postby Se7en>>Dimension on Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:21 pm

I have to tweak with sliders more. :( I score 120+ every game.
Se7en>>Dimension

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:18 pm

Pirate wrote:Andrew these reports are great...
I can't beleive how realistic the scores are one game 100 some 87 points. It's great. Thanks

My style of play probably has a lot to do with it. If I chose to run and gun, I'd probably get much higher scores. However, I don't have to force the game to play realistically. I could always get realistic scores in previous Lives (except Live 2003) on 12 minute quarters, but I had to force the game to do so.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Power And Proud on Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:25 pm

I may have to turn down my sliders and the CPU sliders. I've got them down in the high 30's, and both the CPU and me are still scoring 120+
Power And Proud

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:00 pm

Played a couple more games.

Chicago 99, Boston 96

Another one that was close to the finish. Boston was forced to put me on the line where I sealed the victory.

Chicago 93, Minnesota 86

For the first time in a while, I didn't get off to a great start while Minnesota did. They led 21-19 at the end of the first, and held on to the lead through halftime (46-42) up until the end of the third (66-63). About midway through the fourth I took the lead, it switched hands a couple of times but I took the lead for good with about 3 minutes left. The final margin is larger as they put me on the line a few times in the final minute. With 20 seconds left, I didn't want to draw the game out so I just passed the ball around to run out the clock.

I'm now 6-4. I think I'll move up to Superstar difficulty, but I'll play a couple of exhibition games first to see if I need to make any tweaks to keep it realistic. The way I play usually results in realistic scores anyway, but the sliders will ensure I don't have to try too hard to keep the results and stats realistic. :wink:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Boyk on Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:38 am

Seasons Stats my friend??

im interested in how Curry and Chandler are doing :)
Thanks to TEH G.O.A.T for Sig
Formerly known as Laddas
Watch out for Kobe,Melo n the Lakers!
Boyk

Postby Mark. on Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:42 pm

Hey Andrew it would be really great if you could post your slider settings.

Oh yeah have you got the PC version yet because i just got mail saying mine has been sent to me today, and if its arrived in NZ it must have arrived in Australia.

Ohhhh i cant wait!!

btw you doin pretty good to be sitting on 6-4 with the bulls, hows pippen going??
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:57 pm

I haven't got the PC version yet - hopefully I'll have it soon.

Pippen's averaging about 21 ppg, 4 rpg and 5 apg. He's also bailed me out a few times when no one else could buy a basket.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby CHHAMP on Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:28 pm

Andrew, can you tell me your game speed and fatigue thx?
CHHAMP

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:37 pm

Game Speed: 50
Fatigue: 50

Additionally...

User Sub: 0 (I never use auto subs)
CPU Sub: 50
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby CHHAMP on Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:42 pm

Andrew wrote:Game Speed: 50
Fatigue: 50

Additionally...

User Sub: 0 (I never use auto subs)
CPU Sub: 50

Cool, all those are the same as my own settings. Except I'm playing on superstar level, but I think the main difference in my higher scores (130-140) could be attributed to a run-and-gun style as you mentioned earlier.
CHHAMP

Postby trey1343 on Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:13 pm

Seonadancing wrote:I have Chandler leading my team in points 21.0, blocks 4.1 and rebounds 6.2, he is currently an MVP candidate. :)

so chandler somehow got .7th of a block? and .4th of a rebound??

if you're going to make up stats, have them make sense

(basing on the fact you said you were 17-0)

of course I could be a complete fool if he's getting some remainder # past the .1...like 4.1576482 (made up number) or he has been injured for 7 games, playing only 10
trey1343

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:07 pm

Played three more games.

Chicago 120, Seattle 115

I shouldn't have won this one, but Seattle went cold in the fourth and some of my guys who had struggled through the first three quarters finally made some shots. Ray Allen proved difficult to defend - first he managed to score on a couple of penetrations, then he hit some long jumpers in Rose's face. Crawford was the top performer in the game though, with 32 points, 6 rebounds and 8 assists. He also had not one, but two four point plays.

Phoenix 106, Chicago 105

The Suns ended my winning streak at four, in a game I probably shouldn't have lost. Marion and Marbury were both on fire, so I had to use double teams sparingly so as not to leave one of them open. As we battled back and forth in the final period, the Suns gained the upper hand and with 16 seconds left, held a 104-102 lead. I had little choice but to foul, hoping Marbury would hit one of two. He made them both, so I had one option - a four point play.

Crawford made two four point plays against Seattle, so he was the natural choice. I failed to draw the contact from Marbury, but still made the three to make it a 106-105 loss. I kind of wish I'd missed it. :wink:

Chicago 138, Los Angeles Lakers 127

As you can probably guess, defense was an afterthought in this game. :wink: Expecting to be crushed by the Lakers' four stars, I tried to get everyone involved early, and it worked. I jumped out to an early 17-5 lead, causing cyber-Phil to call a timeout. I finished the first quarter leading 40-28, and never looked back. Since I was heading for a high scoring affair anyway, I left Rose, Crawford and Pippen in the game and tried to achieve some of the tasks to earn some extra points. Rose scored 45, Crawford had 27 and Pippen added 22.

The road trip continues in Sacramento, then Dallas and San Antonio (or possibly San Antonio then Dallas). Even with the win over LA (they're only 7-6), I'm not taking anything for granted.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby trsba on Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:58 pm

Yep I enjoy reading your dynasty Andrew... It just appears though that your scoring has become pretty migh as of late... More running & gunning?
trsba

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:22 pm

I have been playing a little more up-tempo as of late. I've also been a bit lazy on defense, so I've been drawn into shootouts to win the game.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:42 pm

Dallas 134, Chicago 112

I failed to slow the tempo of the game, which worked in the Mavs' favour. Steve Nash had a 20-20 game, tallying 29 points and 20 assists. Antawn Jamison scored around 40, and I lost Eddy Curry to injury. To be honest, I was kind of hoping he'd be out for more than the Dallas game, as I've yet to have anyone miss more than a quarter, a few minutes or the remainder of a game due to injury.

Since I wasn't really focused enough to make the comeback, I let my bench play the final quarter. Needless to say, Dallas took advantage and a large lead became a larger lead. Still, I got to see how some of my seldom used reserves play given the opportunity.

Chicago 119, San Antonio 116

I'm still playing these up-tempo games. I think it's my defense. I've been switching a lot on D whereas I used to control my big men. My opponents have been getting too many easy points and then I've had to make a huge run to take back the lead. The result? These high scores. I should probably make further changes to the sliders, too.

Anyway, San Antonio jumped out to the early lead, and were in control 26-20 at the end of the first. The second quarter was much of the same, though I managed to outscore them by a point to cut it to a 58-53 deficit at the half. Duncan only scored 9 points in the first half, but he proved to be a thorn in my side as I battled them to an 85-85 tie with one quarter left to play.

The Spurs scored the first four points of the final period, but as usual the game turned into a dogfight. I managed to pull ahead in the final seconds as they were forced to foul. They made a costly error though. The score was 119-116 with about 7.5 seconds left, and San Antonio had possession. Rather than calling timeout, they rushed the ball up the floor and DerMarr Johnson (I believe they signed him a few days into the season) jacked up a trey from about three feet behind the arc. It missed, I grabbed the defensive board and time expired.

Notes:

I've been exploring trade possibilities including draft picks. Some of my players are attracting quite a lot of interest. I've been looking at some of the teams at the bottom of the league. Milwaukee (whom I play next as it happens) is quite interested in Jay Williams, and are interested in deals involving picks. As they're currently 1-13, I expect them to stay at the bottom of the league for the season and consequently get no lower than the fourth pick. That's an appealing option, especially if Pip retires.

Milwaukee are also under the cap, which makes them an attractive trading partner.

Hinrich has been playing better as I've increased his court time, so I won't be signing Tim Hardaway. I've tried playing Crawford at shooting guard with Hinrich at the point for short periods of time, and it seems to be fairly effective.

Curry and Chandler both play well in spurts, but neither of them are averaging double figures in rebounds. Curry had 13 boards against the Spurs; hopefully he'll continue to come up with rebounds and prevent some of those second chances my opponents have been getting.

After 16 games, my record stands at 10-6. My starting five of Curry, Chandler, Pippen, Rose and Crawford have each played and started all 16 games thus far. I don't think I'll be making any changes unless I need to shake things up a little, or one of them falls victim to injury.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Nick on Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:11 pm

Try sending Rose to Milwaukee for Michael Redd and a 1st round pick. :?:
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:21 pm

Rose is my top scorer though. I'd rather trade Jay Will or someone else who's a little more expendable.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live Stories Hall of Fame