Smackdown vs RAW 2009

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Smackdown vs RAW 2009

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:02 pm

As expected, THQ is coming out with another instalment in the Smackdown vs RAW series later this year. IGN has posted some screenshots of the upcoming release here and an interview here.

Create-a-Finisher sounds good, I hope we're able to designate custom names for them as well. I like the fact they're going for different finishing moves than the traditional movelist offers though I think it would have also been cool to have the option to take an existing move (like a chokeslam) and add some small variations, like a taunt beforehand. From that article, it doesn't look like that will be possible though I can certainly live with that since moves like the chokeslam will no doubt be in the game anyway. Still, it would be good to be able to customise them or give them a custom name in a CAW profile.

Nice to know that tag team matches are being looked at and a couple of those additions sound nice but much like the wrestling styles last year, it remains to be seen how it plays out. Tag matches remain one of my least favourite aspects of career mode though a co-op career mode sounds cool.

This is what I like to hear though:

There are multiple Superstars you can take through on their path to Wrestlemania, and so we're offering one tag team story, but we're also offering a lot of single-player stories as well, so you build up experience [for] different Superstars, and this year, each story is tailored around that Superstar and a much more specific storyline around that Superstar. So [there] won't be a lot of generic stories where you see Undertaker's not really doing something that you would see him doing on programming or is kind of generic that old roles can fit that. It's more that this is the Undertaker in the WWE and you get to live that life and you get to experience his path to Wrestlemania.

Exactly what they needed to do in keeping the current career mode format. It's not so bad when you're using a created wrestler or someone with a more traditional character because the rest of the wrestlers in the angle are scripted to behave as in real life but as we all know, if you take control of someone like The Undertaker the dialogue doesn't usually fit. Changing that up so that we're controlling a character rather than just playing through storylines and picking someone to slot into a role sounds like a definite change for the better.

Downloadable updates sound great, especially if it means some additional wrestlers who didn't make the original cut. I'm guessing downloaded wrestlers wouldn't have their own Road to Wrestlemania storylines since there's only going to be a set number of wrestlers available in that mode anyway (with another mode presumably fulfilling the more traditional career/GM Mode from what was said in the interview). That still sounds good to me.

Reducing the loading times, cutting down on the repetition in the commentary and some of the outlined improvements to the animations sound like a step in the right direction but like everything else we'll need to wait and see. I was a bit let down by SDvRAW 2008, it wasn't terrible but I thought it could have been better. I'll probably end up getting 2009 but I'll be downloading the demo first.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:44 pm

The update on the SvR2009's Career Mode sounds cool, because I remember using 'Taker on the Season Mode of SvR2006, his character wasn't there. So this revamp could be one of those that should have been done long ago.

EDIT: Looking at the screenies, it's good to see that they've updated the stage ramp as well.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Chino on Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:10 pm

Create-a-Finisher would be awesome.

I hope that they really make a big update on SVR09 as they just need to make it for ps3,Xbox360 and Wii.
Chino

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:30 am

Lean wrote:The update on the SvR2009's Career Mode sounds cool, because I remember using 'Taker on the Season Mode of SvR2006, his character wasn't there. So this revamp could be one of those that should have been done long ago.

Exactly. It was much better to use a CAW in the career modes since it fit the generic dialogue while everyone else was in character. It looks like in 2009 we'll be able to be the character, not just play through some generic angles with the wrestler we've chosen. Much better.

Chino wrote:I hope that they really make a big update on SVR09 as they just need to make it for ps3,Xbox360 and Wii.

It's being released for the PS2, PSP and DS as well but if you're buying the game for the 360, PS3 or Wii presumably you won't miss out on anything.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:31 pm

SvR2009 will be available on the PS2? Andrew? Then i can buy the game even though i am not a big fan of the game now. The last time i played a wrestling game was the title Smackdown:Here comes the pain i think?
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:14 pm

A PS2 version is mentioned in the interview so it looks like they're still developing the game for that platform.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Chino on Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:18 pm

I didn't know that they are still making it for ps2 and other platforms.

I think each superstar will have different attires form last year based from the screens.

Edit: I saw the video of Create-a-Finisher and it was awesome!
Chino

Postby Lean on Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:27 pm

They should include the DX shirts and the pre-match attires of the superstars. Not much for a gameplay improvement but little details like that will make it look more real.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby buzzy on Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:13 pm

I only played SvR 08 on the PSP so I don't know how it was on the next-gen consoles.
But I found the crowd pretty damn boring. They looked ugly and they didn't got into the game, as they never cheered when a finisher ot whatever happened.
Or at least make the front rows more detailed, since some of the starts interact with them on their entrance. Mysterio for example, or HBK.

And I agree with Lean. Make John Cena throw his t-shirt and hat into the audience, etc.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:08 pm

I'd prefer it if they went back to the old method of being able to store a finisher. I wasn't a big fan of fighting styles. It's not a bad idea in theory but it's kind of like Freestyle Superstars in NBA Live; the next step is to make the individual wrestlers standout rather than restricting them to some generic style movesets.

I still think everyone should be able to steal finishers. If they use the same approach as they did in No Mercy and Wrestlemania 2000, they could avoid wrestlers stealing moves they wouldn't be able to perform (eg Rey Mysterio chokeslamming the Big Show). Being able to store a finisher and use it at an opportune time was also a much better idea.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Srbija on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:34 pm

Andrew wrote:I'd prefer it if they went back to the old method of being able to store a finisher. I wasn't a big fan of fighting styles. It's not a bad idea in theory but it's kind of like Freestyle Superstars in NBA Live; the next step is to make the individual wrestlers standout rather than restricting them to some generic style movesets.

Couldn't agree more.

Andrew wrote:I still think everyone should be able to steal finishers.

I loved doing that. Nothing better than beating your opponent senseless and finishing him off with his own finisher. :twisted:

Really hyped for the co-op career mode. I think last time they had something like this was on a Playstation 1 game. Can't remember which one though. Ever since then, I've been waiting for it to be included.
Srbija
Jayceon Taylor ™

Postby huddy187 on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:49 am

Can u edit there costumes and go backstage that would be cool :P
huddy187

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:40 pm

Probably not. There'll likely be a few alternates as usual but no costume editing outside created wrestlers.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Cool2Fool on Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:10 pm

So Andrew the finisher is still the same from last year where you have to use it quickly or else it drain?!? Sh*t!
They don't seems to change anything with the character at all. Exactly the same as last year man. At least try to update some more recent look.
Cool2Fool

Postby huddy187 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:05 pm

thats the only thing i didnt like about the game only few people had alternate costumes, i also didnt like is they took out the backstages
huddy187

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:12 pm

Cool2Fool wrote:So Andrew the finisher is still the same from last year where you have to use it quickly or else it drain?!? Sh*t!
They don't seems to change anything with the character at all. Exactly the same as last year man. At least try to update some more recent look.

I don't know, it wasn't addressed in that interview but the fact they didn't mention a return to the old system of storing a finisher instead of a fighting style makes me think it will be the same as last year. I hope I'm wrong, I don't think fighting styles particularly made the game any better.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Cool2Fool on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:54 am

Andrew wrote:
Cool2Fool wrote:So Andrew the finisher is still the same from last year where you have to use it quickly or else it drain?!? Sh*t!

I don't know, it wasn't addressed in that interview but the fact they didn't mention a return to the old system of storing a finisher instead of a fighting style makes me think it will be the same as last year. I hope I'm wrong, I don't think fighting styles particularly made the game any better.

I didn't like the fighting styles either. It was so cheesy and easily abuse non stop. like a brawler would would do fist of fury non stop and harcore doing lionsoul with the chair at will. :x
Cool2Fool

Postby -Young Buck- on Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:08 am

Well i bought every smackdown game since 1 up till the first Smackdown vs Raw game for ps2. I havent bought the last two, and judging by them, i am not even interested in the 09 edition. They have just gone in the opposite direction of what made me love the game. Now its too slow, moves are limited, roster keeps getting smaller, and they fuck up the controls. I liked smackdown because it was fast and fun, and now its turning into slow simulation. The AI isnt good if they want to make it simulation, and every year they talk it up with new features, false promises, and hype. Im tired of their bullshit. Yukes/THQ is turning into EA, they just spit out yearly editions of a piece of crap game.

As a wrestling fan, im more excited for the new TNA IMPACT game, and i dont even watch TNA wrestling. I know the roster of wrestlers they have, but their game looks refreshing, fast, and fun. It actually looks like a next gen game beyond just graphics, unlike smackdown vs raw which still feels like a ps1 game with updated graphics. In smackdown limbs still go through turnbuckles, or other body parts, and they reuse old animations from years ago. No thanks, im ready for a change. I want a fun, and intelligent wrestling game, and TNA IMPACT looks like its going to be the one. Hopefully it doesnt dissapoint.
-Young Buck-

Postby Lean on Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:45 am

SvR2009 Trailer:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnEyBKvjWZg[/youtube]
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby buzzy on Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:16 am

Boy their faces look ugly, completely random.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:11 pm

I'm not too concerned about the graphics, the faces are easily good enough for the amount of attention I pay to the aesthetics. The new stuff like improvements to tag matches, co-op career play etc sound promising but I'm more concerned about the returning features and existing issues. Mind you, I'm not big on boycotts when the product is good enough to hold my interest so as I said in my first post I'll probably end up buying it, unless the demo reveals it to be truly unplayable.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:36 pm

I am buying this game but since this is not out yet, i want to ask if the older version of this game is worth buying because the last time i have played a wrestling game is the first SvR game and i dont like the features of it.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:01 pm

I've enjoyed each of the previous releases enough to feel I didn't waste my money but if you don't care for any of the features in the previous releases it's probably not worth picking any of them up, unless you find them cheap somewhere and have a bit of disposable income.

If you've got an Xbox 360, you can always download the 2008 demo.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Cool2Fool on Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:19 pm

So the Demo are only available for Xbox360 Because I didn't have it on ps3 but hopefully not for 2009 :?
Cool2Fool

Postby deihatein on Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:04 pm

Well, here in our place there are ways to find some cheap games so i just buy the previous installment so i can enjoy again wrestling

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Next

Return to Off-Topic