AIACT - Assignment file tutorial

Resources for NBA Live 08.

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:32 am

Tools required - EA Graphics Editor, bigGUI, Dolffin, or any program that can import into VIV files.

AIACT VIV format note - The default AIACT.VIV file included with NBA Live will not open in bigGUI or Dolffin and you will not be able to import files into it with EAGE. You first need to export all the files with EAGE and then create a new VIV using it's Import Wizard, importing all the files you extracted from it.

Don't worry about it, I am only giving you the information beforehand, the package of files I have linked contains a default AIACT that can have files imported into it.

In the file package there are the following files -

Default AIACT.VIV file capable of having file imported into it.
CSV file of the Assignment file that can be imported into a spreadsheet or database program for easier viewing and understanding of the way the file works. Make sure the field sperator is a comma (,) and the text delimiter is a quote (") or else it won't show up properly.

Download File Package

Don't edit the CSV file directly. It's a pain trying to turn it back into EA's format. Instead, just use it as a guide and edit the assignment.ACT file with notepad.

Ready to improve on what EA has done without really knowing what your doing? Ok, let's go!!

The Assignment file is split into 4 parts. They all play an equal part in balancing the way the game plays, some are more global, and others are more specific.

QUALIFICATION
SITUATION
ACTION
JOB

Notice there is a number under each of these parts. That number denotes how many entries the game looks for in that section. If you delete an entry and forget to change the number, the CPU AI will not pass the ball except when inbounding, and will not shoot the ball except when the shot clock is expiring. Sorry, but you can't just make up your own AI and try to add it to the game, I already tried it. :lol:

Qualification is the biggest global modifier in the assignment file. It is where I started modifying in 07, and you should start here, too. I'm not sure if the numbers are directly pointing to ratings, but I do know they have alot to do with player ratings.

Warning: changing a 0 to a different number can cause the game to crash. Increasing these values actually make events less likely to happen, and decreasing them makes the events more likely to happen. Balance is key. For instance, in 07, to increase the likelihood of post players taking shots, I lowered those numbers, but if I went to low, they would always shoot when they get the ball. The same thing happened with dribble drives when I increased the number lowering the amount of dribble drives, players wouldn't drive to the rack. They would just take a few steps and shoot a pull up jumper more often.

Code: Select all
ENTRY                                       B   C   D   E   F   G   H  I   J  K  L  M  N  O  P

All players                                31   0   0   0   0   0   0  0   0  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Perimeter players                          28   0   0   0   0   0   0  0   0  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Post players                                3   0   0   0   0   0   0  0   0  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Point guard                                16   0   0   0   0   0   0  0   0  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Good 3pt shooter                           31   0   0   0   0   0   0  0  75  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Good inside scoring                        31   0   0   0   0   0   0  0   0 65  0  0  0  0  0       
Good dribble                               31  70  70  70   0   0   0  0   0  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Good passer                                31   0   0   0   0   0  60  0   0  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Good dunker                                 0   0   0   0   0  60   0  0   0  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Good shooter                               31   0   0   0   0   0   0 70   0  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Not point guard                            15   0   0   0   0   0   0  0   0  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Shooting guard or small forward            12   0   0   0   0   0   0  0   0  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Good dunk_layup                            31   0   0   0   0  57   0  0   0  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Not guard                                   7   0   0   0   0   0   0  0   0  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Superstar dribble                          31  80  80  80   0   0   0  0   0  0  0  0  0  0  0       
No players                                  0 100   0   0   0 100   0  0 100  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Good perimeter players                     28   0   0  65   0   0   0 70   0  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Good post players                           3   0   0   0  65  65   0  0   0 65  0  0  0  0  0       
Good shooter and primacy                    0   0   0   0   0   0   0 70   0  0 60  0  0  0  0       
OK dribble                                 31  55  55  55   0   0   0  0   0  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Great post player                           3   0   0   0  70  70   0  0   0 70 50  0  0  0  0       
Excellent post player                      31   0   0   0  75  75   0  0   0 75  0  0  0  0  0       
Not PG or SG                                7   0   0   0   0   0   0  0   0  0  0  0  0  0  0       
3pt shooter                                31   0   0   0   0   0   0  0  72  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Excellent 3pt                              31   0   0   0   0   0   0  0  70  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Average dribble                            31  60  60  60   0   0   0  0   0  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Poor Ball Handler                           3  45  45  50   0   0   0  0   0  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Good one on one player                     30   0   0  70   0   0   0 70   0  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Poor Shooter                               31   0   0   0   0   0   0  0  60  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Good offensive player                      31   0   0   0   0   0   0 60   0  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Not Center                                 30   0   0   0   0   0   0  0   0  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Not Post Players                           28   0   0   0   0   0   0  0   0  0  0  0  0  0  0       
Post style focal point                      3   0   0   0   0   0   0  0   0 79  0 80 79 74  0       
Perimeter style focal point                28   0   0   0   0   0   0  0  69  0  0  0 79 79 79

I started with "B" because that is how it looks in my spreadsheet in OpenOffice. Hopefully, it shows up like that for you and will avoid confusion.

ENTRY is of course, the name of the qualification.
B is the qualification identifier. It can be changed for any ENTRY, but I suggest that you don't change it.
C has to do with either the speed, quickness, or dribbling rating of a player.
D has to do with either the speed, quickness, or dribbling rating of a player.(That's right, I'm not sure about B and C.)
E has to do with dribble drives. Lowering this value in ENTRIES that have a value will cause more dribble drives.
F Only post player ENTRIES have this value. I believe it is used for jumpshots from short to mid range.
G Dunks and Layups as referred to by the "Good dunker" and "Good dunk_layup" ENTRIES. Increasing this value can cause less dunks and layups but also the issue where players stand under the basket dribbling. They also might just shoot a very close range jumpshot when it is increased too much.
H is for Passing. Decrease it to see more passes. Go too low and players will pass when they don't really need to. I usually set this to 50 for the "Good passer" ENTRY.
I has to do with jumpshots. Increase for less jumpers, decrease for more.
J has to do with 3 point shooting.
K has to do with Inside Scoring.
L has to do with Primacy. This is the one column that I think will not cause crashes if you change the 0 to a positive number. The more you raise it, the higher the primacy rating a player needs to qualify for actions that the game chooses.
M, N, O, and P are new to 08. They are only used on two of the new ENTRIES in 08, Post style focal point and Perimiter style focal point. I don't know what they do yet.

The Situation section of the Assignment.ACT file is what controls specific parts of the gameplay. There are so many numbers and columns that it can be overwheming. If you can understand what is happening in the gameplay and realize what it is called in the Situation section, then you will have an easier time editing this part. Notice the number 160 under the header "SITUATION" which means there are 160 entries. I will tell you why this number is important later on.

I will simplify it for you.

If you are familiar with my AIACT's in 07 (1.0-1.2, SUM, SUM beta), I only started editing this part after 1.2. I actually took entire entries from 06 and put them into 07 to try and get more passing when I made the SUM aiact. Mostly the "Passer/Receiver"entries, though. This section is pretty straightforward, each column(number) refers to a situation, but we really don't know what those situations are. We can guess, though, once we start to understand thebalance of the numbers. Yep, balance again is key.

The numbers work like this -

0 = not going to happen
1-7 = least likely to most likely to happen. This is where the balance comes in. All you guys who play 08 and hate when post players take a shot as soon as they are close to the basket, look towards the bottom of the situation section for "Inside Out: Post Player: Take a Shot (jump)" and look over at column R.

Inside Out: Post Player: Take a Shot (jump)      0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   1   7.....

It's a 7. Look up and down that column and notice most of the numbers are smaller. Look up until you find "Inside Out: Post Player: Take a Shot (dunk layup)". It's also a 7. Look further up the column and you'll notice a bunch of entries that are lower like "Dunk_layup: in traffic down low" and "Shot: Covered close jumper". Look at "Post: backdown", it's a 6. So, if you want that post player to backdown his man, you can try lowering the "Poor Ball Handler"(the identifier refers to "Post Players", column B, remember?) values in the QUALIFICATION section, or you can just lower those Inside Out Post Player values in this column. There are already values for dunks, layups and jumpshots, so you could put these "Inside Out" ones at 0, or 1 and see what it does in-game. It may not have an effect if it's not the right "situation" when you are in the game, because we don't know what situation the columns refer to, remember? It's all about trial and error. You can also look at the very last column to the right, because it is a new column for 08, and most of the new AI situations that were added to 08 are used in that last column. Set the last column to all zeroes and post your results. ;)

Just a heads up, columns R, W, and X have lots of numbers up and down the situation section and changes to those columns will probably have the biggest effect on gameplay. Isn't this fun, kids?

The ACTION section is the easiest way to crash your game if you just fumble around with the numbers. I have done minimal editing to this in the past. If you remember the AIACT I made where players did crossovers and spins during fastbreaks with nobody guarding them, it was becuase I edited this section. It's pretty simple. There are only two possible options, 0 or 1.

1 means yes
0 means no

I don't mess with that section anymore.

The JOB section is my favorite section, because it is basically the reference point for the different SITUATIONS, linking and stringing them together to perform the gameplay. There are 7 columns of numbers. It's hard to explain how it works, especially because I don't know exactly, because this is like a puzzle where you are trying to fit together pieces hoping they paint a picture of what you want to see.

Remember the number 160 under the SITUATION header? Here's why it's important. Referring to the SITUATIONS, 0 = "_DEFAULT", which is the first entry of the SITUATION section, but it does not have an entry in the JOB section which we are currently looking at. It goes all the way up to 159, which is "FastBreak: Receiver uncovered: wing ahead open", the last ENTRY in the SITUATION section. Look at the third and fifth columns of numbers in the JOB section. You should notice that the third number is the reference number to that ENTRY'S line in the SITUATION section. So, if you look at "Shot: out of time" it has a "1" in it's third column. Counting "_DEFAULT" as 0, Shot:Out of time becomes 1. The next entry down is Pass: to pg, which would be 2, and you will see a 2 in the third column. Look at it's fifth column, though. It's a 41. The reason is because every "Pass" or "Passer" comes with a "Receiver" and it needs a second reference. If you were to count 41 lines down in the SITUATION section(remembering that the first line, _DEFAULT, is actually counted as 0, and not a 1), you will find "Receiver: to pg". I hopey you are starting to understand the format a little. Guess what? You can change these if you want. I don't know what effect it would have, though, and it could cause a crash if you put in a number and the game doesn't like it. As long as you stick with a "Receiver" situation for the 5th column, though, you shouldn't have any crashes. Some JOBS have a number int he 4th column, but it is always the same as the number in the 3rd column if they have it.

The first two and the last two are more or less the IN and OUT points from other situations, however, a few of them "RULE" over certain situations.

For instance, let's look at any of the JOBS that have to do with dunking or layups.

Dunk_layup: covered close layup (guard)    2   0   102   0   0   8   1

Notice in the sixth column, it is always an 8. 8 is "Pass: from ground in backcourt". If you change this number, players will not perform a dunk or layup and I have no idea why. However, if you look at "Pass: player cutting with open lane" (68 in the third column so you can find it easier) if you change it's number in the sixth column to an 8(Pass from ground in backcourt), in-game you might see some passes to cutting players as soon as the ball handler crosses the half court line. That's something I did for the Street mod JaoSming released for 07.

As you can see, this is probably the hardest part to understand. So I'll show you a bit more. Look at "29" which is "Pass: stagnant offense." Stagnant means the offense is standing around. Now look down at 65, which is "Drive advance to basket." Look at the first column, it's 29. Do you see what I am getting at? When the AI decides that the offense is "stagnant" it can refer to "Drive: advance to basket" which will tell the ball carrier to attempt to drive. Maybe if we put a "29" in front of "Play(screen): use screen(or Play(screen):wait for screen)" that it will tell the ball carrier to use a screen when the offense is "stagnant."

I don't exactly know how the second and seventh columns work, exactly. Take a look at 91, Pass: from Backdown. The seventh column has a 50 in it, which is "Receiver: to guard in backcourt". Just to let you know, backcourt doesn't always refer to players in the backcourt just players in that general direction. So, if you are going to pass after backing down, it refers to the receiver who is a guard in the backcourt, but it also refers to "Receiver: from backdown" in the fifth column, so you can see that there are two situations that it refers to.

Things to note. Don't use the number 25 anywhere, it causes the cpu to attempt to pass to itself. don't change any "1" in the sixth column, it basically tells the cpu to shoot the ball.
Also, these are not in any order of any kind. Moving one from the top to the bottom won't make it less likely to happen or anything like that.

Also, if you decide to delete anything in the situation column, all those references in the JOB section need to be changed. Let's say we deleted "Drive:Open Drive"(don't do that, lol) fromt he SITUATION section. Since it's reference number is 3 in the JOB section, everything bigger then that has to be subtracted by one in the JOB section. Meaning, anything over 3 has to be subtracted by 1. You would also have to subtract a 1 from the number under the SITUATION header to correct the amount of entries.

Last things I want to say are that EA does some strange things. For instance, they disabled "Secondary Break: Drive: Beat Defender" by misspelling it in the JOB section and just put a "0" in the first column(in 07 and didn't correct it in 08). In 07, I corrected the spelling and added the 1 and the CPU drove ALOT more, as if it didn't drive enough already, so maybe they disabled it on purpose. Also, they replaced the situation from 06 "FstBrk: Pass: www(and Receiver)" with "Pass: Off of dribble penetration" in 07, but they forgot to take out it's ENTRY in the JOB section, and disabled Pass: Off of dribble penetration by putting a 0 in it's third column(actually referring it to "_DEFAULT" for some reason). Also, HB Studios added new AI situations that EA sort of already had, and also replaced a few of EA's SITUATION ENTRIES with their own. I believe one of these replacements causes the wacky inbounds passes.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. Maybe you are more motivated than I am at making 08 play a better game and will mod this baby and release some great assignment/aiact files.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:14 pm

booya (Y)
JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby kb24s on Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:21 pm

Pdub.. can you upload the files to other server I cant download from

http://files.filefront.com/aiactpackage ... einfo.html
kb24s

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:34 pm

Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kb24s on Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:53 pm

thanks man :P
kb24s

Postby tnt23 on Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:48 pm

:shock: has me wondering how u go that deep into the game...simply amazing...thx for the hard work
ALLTiME ALLSTARS
tnt23

Postby airarch_23 on Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:16 pm

Whoah, thanks for the tips dude! Specially on the number values on the tricks... Somehow i got my 08 aicat.viv editable with bigGui by using 07's(which can be opened with bigGui normally). I extracted 08's aiact.viv with EAGraph then emptied the aiact.viv of 07, then i imported 08's files into it and it works... (Y)
Anyway, i'm up for the number tweakings now...
airarch_23

Postby nextnba on Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:18 am

Don't make much sense to me..but to someone that does..creat a dam aiact file so that we actually play this game!
nextnba

Postby TC#10 on Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:16 pm

Awsome man, thanks for the tutorial i've been waiting for this since i bought Live 08. I can't even play one full game cause the gameplay is so bad and pissing me off. Hopefully I can make it more realistic using ur tutorial or if someone would like to share their version of the AIACT.VIV.

BTW does anyone noticed the one pass-shoot bug i've been experiencing with 08? Seems like when playing against the Nets, Knicks, Nuggets, Warriors that the PG would pass the ball midcourt to their star player and they would immediately take a shot or drive in. Happens everytime after i score and the cpu inbounding the ball afterwards...
Official NBA 2K9 PC Version Appreciation Thread: http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197649
TC NBA 2K9 PRO Gameplay Sliders for the PC Thread: http://www.operationsports.com/forums/n ... rs-pc.html
Ways to make CPU Superstars & PGs to be more Dominant: viewtopic.php?f=86&t=63361
TC#10

Postby TC#10 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:02 am

Does anyone know how to open the assignment.ACT file? I tried opening it with my notepad and it's just words and "0" everywhere, it's really unorganized

I also edited the "H" column to from 60 to 50 to see more passing involved, but there doesn't seem to be a difference, i tried lowering it to even 10, and still there wasn't any increased passing...i don't know what's wrong, the changes i made in notepad did not make a difference after i imported back into the AIACT.VIV file
TC#10

Postby scweez23 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:07 pm

nextnba wrote:Don't make much sense to me..but to someone that does..creat a dam aiact file so that we actually play this game!

DITTO!
scweez23

Postby goodlikesweeper on Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:57 am

Yes,guys please just fix passing,nothing else.You are experts in this,it wouldn't take you longer then 10 min!Cammon....do it.....the game is really boring this way....PPPLLLEEEEAAAASSEEEEEEEEEe
goodlikesweeper

Postby TC#10 on Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:01 am

How come i don't see any changes when i edit the Assignment.ACT file? I followed through the tutorial and edit the passing but when i load the game it, the changes i have made does not have an effect. Also what am i suppose to do after i made the changes in notepad? I just save the file and then import the file back into the aiact file, is this correct? Thanks
Official NBA 2K9 PC Version Appreciation Thread: http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197649
TC NBA 2K9 PRO Gameplay Sliders for the PC Thread: http://www.operationsports.com/forums/n ... rs-pc.html
Ways to make CPU Superstars & PGs to be more Dominant: viewtopic.php?f=86&t=63361
TC#10

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:00 am

Sometimes I don't notice any changes either. What part of the "passing" did you edit?

You were correct in saving the file and then reimporting it, that's all you needed to do after you make a change.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Abu Sabaya on Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:29 pm

jaosming,

(You first need to export all the files with EAGE and then create a new VIV using it's Import Wizard, importing all the files you extracted from it. )

can you please detail this instructions. I cant export the files you have provided(th download package one). thanks,
Abu Sabaya

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:35 am

My name is Pdub. :wink:

You don't need to export all the files fromt he aiact in the download package. I supplied that aiact because it would be easier for people to have that instead of everybody having to recreate the aiact. Just use that aiact to replace your current one, and then start editing from there.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Angelo on Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:18 am

i really really sallute you for this pdub..
thanks for helping me create a good aiact..

but still i will wait for you bro if you are not already busy so that you can help me with my aiact..Thanks bro pdub (Y)
Angelo
Holy Tits
NLSC Team Member

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:41 am

I wouldn't wait for me, dude. Just release it and get feedback. When I have time, I will read the issues people post, look at your file and offer some suggestions. I've got a new computer and I am transferring stuff over to it because somebody wants to buy my old one.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Angelo on Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:18 pm

i have now already fixed the too much return passes bro but it seems in some teams when i try to play against them my game just instantly crashes.for example CHICAGO VS MIAMI HEAT.ill send you the aiact in your pm bro.. :oops:
Angelo
Holy Tits
NLSC Team Member

Postby Abu Sabaya on Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:45 pm

pdub,

this is about editing the aiact. i am still not able to do the editing thing.
first, can you teach me how to recreate my own aiact.viv?
second, how to import/export aiact.viv using the eagraph?
thrid, which application should i use to edit my recreated aiact.viv.

thanks, hoping for your reply soon.
abu sabaya (pinaka gwapo sa mindanao)
Abu Sabaya

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:36 am

Just use the AIACT in the download package in the first post, that way you don't have to recreate your own aiact.

If you still want to know, here's a little tutorial. Use EAGraph for importing and exporting files from the aiact.viv file. You can get it in the download section. To extract files, open the aiact.viv with EAGRaph, click on a file and click "File->Extract" from the top menu. Extract each file. The Import Wizard will allow you to import files. Once you have all the files extracted, use the import wizard and select Add files to an external TAR archive. Click the browse button, then type the name of the new file. On the right there is a button called "Add." You click that and add the ACT files that you extracted. Then click Next and it will create your new file, when it sais it is done processing, click finished.

When importing files into an exisiting file, don't change the name of the file on the left, only use the Add button.

You can still use EAGraph to extract and import your files from the AIACT. The ACT files are editable with wordpad/notepad.

pina colada
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Abu Sabaya on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:53 pm

pdub,

great, thanks very much for the response. ill try this.

abu sabaya
Abu Sabaya

Postby Za man on Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:44 am

Hi Pdub, i wanna ask you a question on editing the AIACT and i know that you are the only one who can answer it if you can't than no body can. my question is there is a way to change the right analoge stick moves i wanna change the move when u pull the right analoge stick back with the one dribble behind the back between two defender move. can it be done and if so. HOW? waiting for your reply. THANKS IN ADVANCE. (Y)
We are the football Champions the winners of the African Cup of Nations 6 times last 2 on a roll.
Za man

Postby Patr1ck on Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:00 am

Since that animation is contextual and based on the defenders position and it also involves the animation of the defenders and not just the dribbler I believe it is impossible to map it as a regular move. I tried doing something like this before with some of the dunks where you dunk on players but the game just crashed.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Za man on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:58 am

Bad. :( But Thanks Pdub for your quick answer
Za man

Next

Return to NBA Live 08 Tutorials & FAQs