NBA 08 Demo

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

NBA 08 Demo

Postby Michael Jordan on Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:01 am

I just played the demo of NBA 08 (Sony) on my PS3.

It looks great !!!

It's 4 quaters of 2 min and you can only play CLE vs SA.

The graphics looks amazing, The commentators are also very good (Kevin calabro and Mark Jackson). I also enjoyed the movements of the players, the slow motions and cut scenes. I never thought about buying this game but I really enjoyed playing it, so now it is an option.
The game also supports motion sensor so it is realy cool.

My only problem was with the camera, in the demo there is only one view (from behind the player) and it is not the camera i use normaly.

Anyone knows more about this game ?

Everyone speaks only about 2k8 and live 08, are they really that better from NBA 08 ?
Formally Known As "mj23mj23"
Michael Jordan

Postby Michael Jordan on Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:03 am

O.K, here are two more things -

1) There is another mode in the demo - you can play NBA Replay mode. You are playing Mike Miller and need to scroe acording to what he did in his game against the Bobcats. That means - 2 threes from a specific place and one regular basket. It is a nice edition. Some kind of a mini game. During the season it says that you could re play specific games.

2) There is a serious bug with fouls - Even if I press the button for steal and I'm way far from the opponent player I still get wistle for foul. Very strange and very annoying bug.

Beside that , I looked once again on the crowd and it looks perfect.
Michael Jordan

Re: NBA 2K8 DEMO

Postby BigKaboom2 on Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:48 am

galette wrote:The nba 2K8 is available for Xbox360. The demo size is around 320 Mo
I played this morning.
You can only play CLE vs SA for 2 quarters of 4 mins.

I didn't see a lot of improvements in this version vs NBA2K7 and I don't know yet if I buy NBA2K8 or NBA LIVE 08.

1. It's not available yet.

2. This thread is about NBA 08 for the PS3.

3. NBA 08 looked terrible to me when I watched some gameplay videos, and I don't own a PS3, so meh.
BigKaboom2

Postby Its_asdf on Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:56 am

Sorry to spam, but holy shit Michael Jordan posts in our forums. :shock:
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Postby cheater1034 on Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:52 pm

Did you play the same demo I did? Because I got the skate, nba 08, and stuntman demos all downloaded today too.

skate is amazing I love it.

NBA 08 is awful, I put up almost 50 with lebron and only missed 2 shots the entire game. I was UNSTOPPABLE from mid-range.

* Sony is sticking with NBA 07's gameplay engine and it looks like they made little to no improvements with it. In the NBA 07 demo I put up the same big numbers with d. wade.

* If I stood at the top of the key for the full 24 second shot clock, You would see different players including little guys like tony parker go in the alley oop catch animation. It's ridiculous, that's ALL they do. They don't set screens, they jump for alley oops and wait for a pass. That's awful.

* Passing is awful because every time I press X (even if it's beyond mid court for a fast break) it goes towards the player who's going for an alley oop (because someone ALWAYS is going for an alley oop). I wanted to pass the ball down court, after i inbounded I press X and I somehow complete a full court alley oop lol.

* I like the detail in the crowd and on the court (the thunder sticks were AWESOME imo, every cavs game they have them behind the basket when you shoot free throws, that was a nice touch)

* Animations suck, there is no such thing as a set shot in nba 08, it's always goes into a leg kick or off balance shot.

* Player detail sucks (arena and crowd are amazing IMO), but player detail sucks, the jerseys all look like they have the same incorrectly sized numbers.

----

This game is awful, I think you're smoking something.

I played skate quite a bit so far though, I enjoy it a lot.
cheater1034

Postby nba_baller on Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:56 pm

Unfortunatly Sonys NBA 08 cannot be compared to Live 08 and 2K8 because NBA 08 doesn't have a purpose and the features that Live and 2K has. All you do is Season mode and NBA Replay. Live and 2K have Hots Spots, Sig. Shots and Go To Moves, etc...
nba_baller

Postby Michael Jordan on Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:09 pm

cheater1034 wrote:Did you play the same demo I did? Because I got the skate, nba 08, and stuntman demos all downloaded today too.

skate is amazing I love it.

NBA 08 is awful, I put up almost 50 with lebron and only missed 2 shots the entire game. I was UNSTOPPABLE from mid-range.

* Sony is sticking with NBA 07's gameplay engine and it looks like they made little to no improvements with it. In the NBA 07 demo I put up the same big numbers with d. wade.

* If I stood at the top of the key for the full 24 second shot clock, You would see different players including little guys like tony parker go in the alley oop catch animation. It's ridiculous, that's ALL they do. They don't set screens, they jump for alley oops and wait for a pass. That's awful.

* Passing is awful because every time I press X (even if it's beyond mid court for a fast break) it goes towards the player who's going for an alley oop (because someone ALWAYS is going for an alley oop). I wanted to pass the ball down court, after i inbounded I press X and I somehow complete a full court alley oop lol.

* I like the detail in the crowd and on the court (the thunder sticks were AWESOME imo, every cavs game they have them behind the basket when you shoot free throws, that was a nice touch)

* Animations suck, there is no such thing as a set shot in nba 08, it's always goes into a leg kick or off balance shot.

* Player detail sucks (arena and crowd are amazing IMO), but player detail sucks, the jerseys all look like they have the same incorrectly sized numbers.

----

This game is awful, I think you're smoking something.

I played skate quite a bit so far though, I enjoy it a lot.
Few things -

First of all, I think that the demo is on rookie level so I'm not disappointed from how easy it is. I'm sure that on other levels it will be much more difficult.

About the alley oop - I didn't had this problem at all.Check if your R2 button is stuck. My players didn't make even one Alley oop unless I pressed on R2 button.

About strategy and other options - check the controller setup and see what are your other options. For instance - press on the Triangle to commit a special pass. If you press R2+triangle it will commit special Alley opp.

My thoughts about the game were that it it fun, the graphics looks great and it is refreshing for me to see another NBA game. Untill recently I only played NBA games on my PC.
Michael Jordan

Return to Off-Topic