The "Have Your Random NBA Question Answered" Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Postby TheBigEasy on Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:54 am

ixcuincle wrote:to win a World championship last year.

*cough*Spain won the world championship last year*cough*

Metsis wrote:Let's see... There are 82 games because of this! There are 14 other teams in your conference and 15 teams on the other conference. You play 2 games against the other conference and that totals to 30 games! One home and one away game.

But you play 4 games against teams in your own conference! Thus 14x4=52 games... Thus you play 30+52 games = 82 games...

Thats the current formula for the teams. However, this is not the reason there are played 82 games. The number of Games have been increasing gradually during the 50s and 60s. The 1967/68 season was the first, the teams played 82 games. There were 12 teams in the league overall!

I don't know the reason its that much games (especially compared to the NFL) ... but its been 82 games for 40 years now.
TheBigEasy

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:03 pm

About Lebron, he is a great player as of now. Jordan was also a great player when he was young. Jordan didn't win a championship until he also became a great leader. It will take Lebron time to mature with experience to become a great leader in order to win a championship.

About championship teams, basketball has always been a team sport. The best team usually wins, despite how many superstars or great names that are on the team. Best team meaning group of players who work and execute the best as a unit on both sides of the court.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby BigKaboom2 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:21 pm

Qballer wrote:
Gedas wrote:I have another question, does anyone have info, who is the player to play in most teams in the NBA?

probably Tony Massenberg who retired after winning a championship with San Antonio in 2003.

Chucky Brown would probably be a close 2nd.

Massenberg, Brown, and Jim Jackson are tied with twelve apiece.
BigKaboom2

Postby Abctest123 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:30 pm

Yay, open spot for a question, my turn...

Are injuries to blame for the relatively poor performance of the Eastern Conference in general this season, or is there a better reason?
Abctest123

Postby Nick on Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:01 pm

This is a great thread idea. (Y)
pHLo wrote:
weejontee wrote:What is a team rebound on the boxscore?

when you're on defense and the opponent shoots and misses and your team is boxing out successfully so that no player is able to touch the ball before it goes out of bounds, your team will be rewarded with a team rebound

i think u even get credited with a TR when your opponent misses the first of more 2 FTs (or the second when he's shooting more than one)

I thought a team rebound was when more than 1 player touches the ball before it is finally rebounded.

I know that a freshmen is a 1st year college player, but what do you call 2nd year, 3rd year, and 4th year college player? I get confused between which is which.
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby --- on Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:21 pm

1st year: Freshman
2nd year: Sophomore
3rd year: Junior
4th year: Senior
---

Postby [Q] on Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:27 pm

2nd-sophomore
3rd-junior
4th-senior

if they sat out a season (redshirt), they call em a redshirt freshman or whatever.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:10 pm

tempo wrote:yes i agree but contray to popular opinion i dont want the magic too go after carter this off-season, his 30+, lazy and this will be the last contract his likely to sign which decreases his incentives too do well.

He only just turned 30 and should have more than a couple of productive seasons left in the league. I wouldn't expect him to slow down that much until he's about 34 or 35 and even then he's going to be a capable player. The other points you mentioned certainly are a concern though. However, it looks as though he might be remaining with the Nets anyway.

BigKaboom2 wrote:Massenberg, Brown, and Jim Jackson are tied with twelve apiece.

Looks like JJ might pull ahead if he signs with the Knicks as rumoured. I hope it happens; it's not every day you see a record broken. ;)

weejontee wrote:What is a team rebound on the boxscore?

"Team Rebounds" is a stat that covers miscellaneous situations such as rebounds or blocked shots going out of bounds, the turnover that results from a free throw attempt failing to hit the rim and a couple of other things that escape me at this time.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby arrell on Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:38 pm

Not really a random question (I tried asking in the Rockets thread, but don't think anyone answered):

When Yao returns, do you think the Rockets could field both Yao and Mutombo in the starting lineup? Yao is an offensive force on one end, Mutombo drags down the rebounds on the other end. It's a winning combination!
arrell

Postby Gedas on Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:45 pm

Except that they need someone to give rest to Yao..
Gedas

Postby Metsis on Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:09 am

Yao and Mutombo on the court the same time... Well, I think Juwon has more than adequatly filled his role this season. I think that they will be there together more after Dikembe has had a chance to show that he still has gas in the tank and I believe he has risen his playing time for the time when Yao actually comes back. It's not like Yao will have to play 45 minutes the day he comes back, at least not any more.

And who knows how long it will take for Yao to get his rythymn going on offense etc. So it there might be a period where Yao and Dikembe play the game about 50/50...

Mutombo has certainly shown people that he's still got some game... And I believe Jeff Van Gundy isn't afraid to rest Yao to get him in there comfortably and fresh for the playoffs... But I ain't no JVG and I don't know Yao so who knows what will happen.
Metsis

Postby Metsis on Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:13 am

Mofo wrote:Yay, open spot for a question, my turn...

Are injuries to blame for the relatively poor performance of the Eastern Conference in general this season, or is there a better reason?

Well if you look at the standings now... The west doesn't seem that much superior... Sure the Dallas' and Phoenix's and San Antonio's are way better, but there are some sub .500 teams competing for the last WEST playoff spots now.

The season is more like this, there are 4-5 teams that regularly kick ass and everyone elses records show it... The talk about the leastern conference are sure well earned, but it's not like the standings tell the tale except for the top teams.
Metsis

Postby JaoSming on Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:12 am

Why do teams seemly at random put this little black stripe on their jersey?

Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby NBJ on Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:35 am

I thougt the players did it themselves. LeBron had it some days ago, and Josh Smith had it at last years dunk contest, i thought about it too
NBJ

Postby [Q] on Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:51 am

JaoSming wrote:Why do teams seemly at random put this little black stripe on their jersey?

it's in memory of Red and possibly Dennis Johnson.

The Sonics have it too because of DJ.

^Josh Smith had it last year possibly because of Jason Collier?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:02 am

It's a fairly common practice in sports used to honour/remember someone who has passed away.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Gedas on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:28 am

I have a random question:
How excactly the whole NBA offseason work? First comes the draft, then the trades and FA?
Gedas

Postby tempo on Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:10 am

free agency comes at the same time as trades dosent it?

what is the nba record for most consective free throws made?
tempo

Postby maes on Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:33 am

Will Billy Donovan be a successful NBA level coach?
“Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.”
maes

Postby Sauru on Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:58 am

Metsis wrote:Let's see... There are 82 games because of this! There are 14 other teams in your conference and 15 teams on the other conference. You play 2 games against the other conference and that totals to 30 games! One home and one away game.

But you play 4 games against teams in your own conference! Thus 14x4=52 games... Thus you play 30+52 games = 82 games... It's the same in NHL as well.

this is wrong. this is not why the nba plays 82. i myself dont have the answer as to why they do other than maybe its just a random number but the nba has played this many games for along time now, and the league did not always have this many teams in it.
Sauru

Postby JT_55 on Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:47 am

I have a question.

Does anyone else think that the pistons will be subjected to deja vu (win the first two against Cleveland, lose the subsequent 3 games, and win the last 2 on the brink of elimination)?
JT_55

Postby magius on Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:58 am

maes wrote:
arrell wrote:Question: About championship winning teams, has there been patterns of combinations of types of players in a team? Hmm, I didn't word that our very nicely.

Let me try again: are there specific winning combinations of teams? For example, with the LA Lakers (and Miami Heat last year), you had the big centre (shaq) and shooting guard (kobe) combo. With San Antonio (98-99), you had the two big centre/forward combo of Duncan and Robinson.

I don't think so, i think that's what keeps the game intriguing. For a while people said you needed a dominant C...Jordan's teams were considered by some the best of all time and they had crappy Cs (compared to Abdul Jabbar or Wilt). Some say you need a good big & a good guard...the Celtics had good guards but clearly their success depended on a SF, Bird.

At one point i said all championship teams at least had great ball movement, Bulls triangle probably overpassed too much, Bird was a 7 apg kinda guy, Shaq was a great passer in LA. But now we have Miami, which is a Wade ball hogging-til-he-gets-fouled offense, so not even that is true.

i think you've always needed a good 4 or 5 to win a championship.

i am hard pressed to think of a past champion without a hall of fame calibre 4 or 5. while there have been championship teams without hall of fame wing players.
magius

Postby Sauru on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:09 am

the bulls could be that exception. they didnt have a hall of fame 4 or 5 for thier first 3
Sauru

Postby magius on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:19 am

i think you're right. well there goes that theory. damn the bulls. although they did have pretty good 4s and 5s still.
magius

Postby maes on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:28 am

I don't think the 79 Sonics had a HOF big man...i'm not sure if they had ANY HOF players at all.

Jack Sikma, Dennis Johnson, Gus Williams?
“Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.”
maes

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball