Hip Hop Report 11-24-02

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Hip Hop Report 11-24-02

Postby MajaFiggaz_Early! on Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:57 pm

Nas' upcoming album will have no tracks produced by Irv Gotti, DJ Premier and L.E.S.. Instead, "God's Sun" will feature beats from Large Professor, Alchemist, Salaam Remi, Saukrates and Eminem ("The Cross"). The album will also feature "Thugz Mansion" with 2Pac. Unlike the version on "Better Days", it will have two Nas verses and one Pac verse. Of course, Jay-Z isn't left untouched, "The Gift and the Curse, fuck that/ The first shall be last ... I was like Scarface, Jay was Manolo/ It hurt me when I had to kill his whole squad for dolo."

On "Real Niggas," Nas tells of how the competition level had many of the biggest names bumping heads in the 90s. "Y'all don't know about my Biggie wars/ Who you thought 'Kick in the Door' was for?/ But that was my heart/ Y'all still trippin' off that Jigga shit." Throughout the song, Nas gives an insider's look at what was going on at that time, from P. Diddy dreaming of starting Bad Boy, RZA, whom he refers to by his former moniker Prince Rakeem, forming a new group called Wu-Tang Clan and Clan members Raekwon and Ghostface Killah subsequently beefing with Notorious B.I.G. over biting. He addresses his baby's mother's alleged infidelities with other rappers and reveals how he and current advisor Steve Stoute had problems trusting each other.

While Alchemist & DJ Muggs are both working on Soul Assassins Vol. III, Muggs is also working on Cypress Hill's sixth LP and Alchemist has joined up with Twin Gambino (Infamous Mobb) to form a group entitled First Infantry.

Littles (Mobb Deep crew) will be releasing a street-only album, "The Feeding". It include 20 new tracks, including 4-5 new collaborations with Mobb Deep, and gust appearances from Big Noyd, Nature and Tragedy Khadafi and production by Alchemist, Havoc, EZ Elpee and Sha Money XL. It will also include a DVD, which includes concert and studio footage. The CD and DVD will be available for a mere $10.00. "Long Time Coming" is the first single.

The News that Nas will have NO production from that horrendous Murder Pink label has really soothed my heart. Also I heard Thugz Mansion, and MasterMind which are hot. I haven't heard Real Niggas yet but it sounds nice. I'm expect some nice thgins from God's Sun
MajaFiggaz_Early!

Re: Hip Hop Report 11-24-02

Postby Smooth on Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:57 am

MajaFiggaz_iz_Back wrote:Nas' upcoming album will have no tracks produced by Irv Gotti

ARGH
Smooth

Postby benj on Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:21 am

nice sig...
the chiefglider logo looks cool. i'm thinking about buying the shoe.

anyways, sorry for the off-topic post... just wanted to say that
benj

Postby Clinton on Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:35 pm

I really fuckin hate Nas being in Murder Inc. Maybe it's because I think Ja Rule is a no talent little bitch. I hope he doesn't make too many appearences on Nas album, but he will. That's all Nas needs, Ja Rule on all his tracks screaming "Yeah!!!" every 5 seconds. Just imagine the shit Nas could be putting out with Dre producing.
Clinton

Postby DR. P on Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:37 am

Just imagine the shit Nas could be putting out with Dre producing.

That's always a scary thought Clinton, since I think right at this moment Dre is the best producer in the US [followed in a close second by the Neptunes]. It's like everything he touches turns to gold. Just look at what he's done for the likes of Shady, 50 cent [whom I think is over-rated and sounds like a hybrid of GDep and Mase], Xhibit, Snoop [who isn't really that talented of a rapper], and of course one of the All-time greats Rakim. I'd love to See Nas and DMX get more Dre production, but I'd really love to see a guy who I personally like, Canibus get some DRE production.

A BIT MORE ON THE C-A-N-I-BUS

To me Canibus is tops in freestyle rap, just a hair ahead of Shady, but he merely suffers from not being promoted well. Everyone of his freestyles are gems and especially solid for those who like rap that actually makes sense when you listen to the lyrics the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time around. And when he freestyles using other artists beats he simply rips it. Yet, when he puts out an album, they just don't have the same appeal because of weak productions. Why a guy like Dre, Diddy, or Dame Dash can't see the raw potential in this guy is beyond me and if someone would just give him solid productions from front to back [not like the crap Wyclef did for him], I'm sure this guy would excel. Moreover, I'd love to see him and Shady hook-up [burying the proverbial hatchet of course] a la Method Man and Redman and do some joints together. To me that tandem would be banannas. For those who haven't heard Canibus freestyle, your truly missing a treat, but admittedly his albums do leave alot to be desired given the poor productions. This is one of the enigmas regarding him, how he can rip freestyles, but not carry that over to albums. There's also rumors of ghostwriting, but I'll say this, if he's not writing the rhymes then the guy who is should be located immediately, because he's definitely no joke on the writing side of things.

P.S., Maja, any info on the release of Rakim's new album "Oh My God"? I've been patiently awaiting its release.

Best,

P
DR. P

Postby BMG on Wed Nov 27, 2002 6:34 pm

DR. P wrote:Just imagine the shit Nas could be putting out with Dre producing.

yo remember the Firm?
Dre produced mos that album and it wasnt that hot yo
BMG

Postby DR. P on Thu Nov 28, 2002 4:26 am

I thought Dre only blessed a few of the tracks on that album Grip, but I could be mistaken. Anyways, the track "phone tap" was extremely solid and at the very least a banger that could still get rotation to this very day.

But I'll have to check on the productions to see what specific things Dre had his hands in.

Best,

P
DR. P

Return to Off-Topic