NLSC Podcast #521: No NBA License? No Problem!

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: NLSC Podcast #349: The Quest for a Next Gen Console

Postby RayRay_953 on Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:39 am

I finally got around to seeing the podcast, and there were many great points made! You and Dee really work well together with these topics. I brought up Daniels' inclusion in MyTEAM because it's important to remind people that the All-Time teams are advertised as the best collection of players for that franchise. While you're correct that Odom and Bosh are more known, I don't agree with leaving some of these legends out of the all-time teams. Even outside of Mel Daniels, there's still a bunch of other legends that haven't been brought back including Connie Hawkins (but Devin Booker is already considered an All-Time Suns player?), Dolph Schayes (A new CF was made for him in 2K20, so why didn't they put him on the Sixers?), Walt Bellamy, etc.
RayRay_953

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:07 pm

Thanks for tuning in! Glad you enjoyed the show.

I agree, certain players shouldn't be left off the All-Time teams when they're in the game and available. I'd say that 2K bothered to make the effort with Odom and Bosh because they're more well-known to younger gamers in particular, but it shouldn't stop there.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:07 am

RayRay_953 wrote:I finally got around to seeing the podcast, and there were many great points made! You and Dee really work well together with these topics. I brought up Daniels' inclusion in MyTEAM because it's important to remind people that the All-Time teams are advertised as the best collection of players for that franchise. While you're correct that Odom and Bosh are more known, I don't agree with leaving some of these legends out of the all-time teams. Even outside of Mel Daniels, there's still a bunch of other legends that haven't been brought back including Connie Hawkins (but Devin Booker is already considered an All-Time Suns player?), Dolph Schayes (A new CF was made for him in 2K20, so why didn't they put him on the Sixers?), Walt Bellamy, etc.

Thanks for the feedback!

I think the inclusion of guys like Booker on the all-time teams is more of a case of catering to the younger demographic, honestly. Same with LeBron being on the all-time Lakers after only playing one season with them (and the Lakers had not won the title yet before they included him... and still)

As I stated in my roster thread on Twitter, the classic teams/all time teams are incredibly low priority for them, and I provided examples that proved that. Its more of a "HEY, LOOK AT ALL THIS CONTENT WE HAVE!, WE LOVE RETRO NBA", and that is on the surface and via marketing, but when you actually look at the big picture (all the copy/paste jobs, the lack of including certain important players, all the rush jobs, etc), it tells an entirely different story.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: NLSC Podcast #350: What's My Age Again?

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:09 am

NLSC Podcast #350: What's My Age Again?

Hosts: Andrew & Dee4Three

We're celebrating our 50th episode as a duo, which leads us to reflect on some famous number 50s in NBA history. After that, it's down to business with a discussion of the latest news surrounding NBA 2K21 Next Gen. From server issues to a widespread ban, there's a lot to catch up on, and we have a lot to say. We also talk about stat padding in online games, and how it's led to what we feel is an unappealing style of play. Recent events also prompt us to discuss ageism in basketball gaming, and troubling practices in the modding community. This week's mailbag topics cover recycled faces in NBA 2K, and the idea of petitioning 2K to make certain changes.

Tune in here!

What's your take on this week's conversation? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as mailbag questions and topic suggestions for future episodes. The show also comes out on our YouTube channel, so be sure to subscribe for future episodes and other video content.

Never miss an episode by subscribing to the NLSC Podcast on Apple Podcasts or Spotify! You can also find us on Stitcher.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:55 am

50 shows already.... time is really flying

I've really enjoyed doing the show!
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:26 am

Another weekend is fast approaching, so I'm putting out a mailbag call for Episode #351! Hit us up with your questions/topic suggestions!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #351: Lockdown Defenders

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:52 pm

NLSC Podcast #351: Lockdown Defenders

Now that Derek is an official member of the NLSC Team, we look ahead to some plans for future content. There's a lot of positivity there, but as we delve into this week, there's a need to explore the negative aspects of basketball games as well. We discuss the desire some gamers have to disengage, distinguishing between taking a healthy break from negative conversations, and shutting down constructive criticism. In this week's mailbag, we talk about the pain of losing features, modes, options, and mechanics that we loved, and answer a question about our playcalling habits on the virtual hardwood.

Tune in here!

What's your take on this week's conversation? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as mailbag questions and topic suggestions for future episodes. The show also comes out on our YouTube channel, so be sure to subscribe for future episodes and other video content.

Never miss an episode by subscribing to the NLSC Podcast on Apple Podcasts or Spotify! You can also find us on Stitcher.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:23 pm

Sending out a Mailbag Call for Episode #352! Hit us up with your basketball gaming questions and topic suggestions.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:49 pm

topic suggestion : 2K21 game credit analysis
its kinda boring to read, it scrolls slooooooowly but its quite interesting, specially art teams / network teams parts, in comparison to the rest.
IMO it says a lot about the structure of the different teams, the lack of evolution and coherence of the final product.
sticky-fingers

Re: NLSC Podcast #352: NBA 2K21 Next Gen Impressions

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:13 pm

NLSC Podcast #352: NBA 2K21 Next Gen Impressions

Through a stroke of good luck, we have Next Gen consoles earlier than anticipated! This means we're able to join the cool kids who are already playing NBA 2K21 on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S, but we haven't forgotten about Current Gen. The latest patch for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One has brought Winter to 2K Beach, but no fix for the broken Daily Bonus feature. After a bit of a grumble about that, it's on to our initial NBA 2K21 Next Gen impressions, and they're actually quite positive! In fact, tempered expectations and slider tweaks have us feeling pretty good about it. In this week's mailbag, we talk about reliable tricks and cheats in old games, and the way that NBA 2K has changed focus and approach in recent years.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #352: NBA 2K21 Next Gen Impressions

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:41 am

Mailbag call for Episode #353! Submit your questions and topic suggestions, and Dee4Three and I will pick a couple to discuss on this week's show.

If you haven't caught Episode #352 yet, be sure to tune in here, or on your podcast app of choice!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #353: Online Gaming Isn't Everything

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:23 pm

NLSC Podcast #353: Online Gaming Isn't Everything

With the quality of play in The Rec hitting rock bottom, one of us has made a very healthy decision to walk away from the online scene. On that note, leaked internal documents from Sony suggest that online gaming hasn't destroyed the single player or local multiplayer experience. This is certainly good news for modes such as MyNBA, and the single player portions of MyCAREER and MyTEAM. Recent events also prompt us to discuss proper etiquette for modders and content creators alike. Our featured discussion this week is all about further NBA 2K21 Next Gen impressions, as we break down our three favourite and three least favourite aspects of the game. In this week's mailbag, we talk about wishlists for this generation, and memories of basketball gaming in the holiday season.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #353: Online Gaming Isn't Everything

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:51 am

Mailbag call for Episode #354! Hit us up with your basketball gaming questions and topic suggestions.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #354: 2K Giveth, & 2K Taketh Away

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:08 pm

NLSC Podcast #354: 2K Giveth, & 2K Taketh Away

Where can you learn about the differences between versions of Tecmo Super NBA Basketball? Our podcast, that's where! Patch 1.03 for NBA 2K21 Next Gen is also out, and it's full of fixes and gameplay tweaks. There are minimal differences, but as we note, that's not necessarily a bad thing. The impending shutdown of the NBA 2K19 servers leads to a discussion about lost features, old games still being sold at full price, and a huge opportunity for 2K to generate goodwill. In this week's mailbag, we're talking bad ratings, not feeling like we're in control in newer 2K titles, and our non-basketball gaming habits.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #354: 2K Giveth, & 2K Taketh Away

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:34 pm

This week's NLSC Podcast will be our big End of Year Mailbag episode! We've got a bunch of submissions ready to go, but if you'd like to sneak in some last minute topic suggestions/questions for us, let us know ASAP.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #355: Hey, Mr Postman!

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:55 pm

NLSC Podcast #355: Hey, Mr Postman!

As promised, we're ending the year with a jumbo edition of the mailbag! First of all, we're ranking NBA 2K on the last generation, and yes, our lists do differ. We also revisit the topic of NBA Live's future, EA Sports' silence on the game's official social media channels, and how optimistic we feel. This segues into a discussion of franchises that EA has discontinued. Other topics include star athletes of yesteryear returning, our favourite mods, and what would take NBA 2K to the next level as far as features and content are concerned. A huge thanks to everyone who contributed topics and questions!

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #355: Hey, Mr Postman!

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:15 am

Mailbag Call for Episode #356! We emptied the mailbag for Episode #355, so please hit us up with your questions and topic suggestions.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #356: State of NBA 2K Addressed

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:53 am

NLSC Podcast #356: State of NBA 2K Addressed

Before we get rolling, we touch on the subject of virtual hardwood photography, and offer up some tips to get the best angles. After that, we get right into our main topic: the current state of NBA 2K, and our latest thoughts on NBA 2K21. How is the latest game - and the series as a whole - looking as we enter the new year, with a new generation? What are our concerns for the future, and what responsibility does have the community have in providing 2K with constructive feedback? In this week's mailbag, we're talking about NBA 2K13 on Wii U, and what - if anything - EA Sports should take from NBA Live 19.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:27 am

Happy new year and good to hear another year start with a podcast!

The nba video community actually all seems to be getting along at the minute and actually agreeing on alot of things of opinions of game, the state in which it's heading and also excited to see if nba live start to make any announcements for Live 22. Maybe iam just getting old enough to block out any community negatively but hey.. iam happy (y)

In regards to my experience with nba 2k21 related to the podcast iam in agreement that when I played the demo I felt like I was playing a new game, unlike nba 2k20 this felt different. But as time is going on iam starting to see more and more if the fault's that haunted 2k20 coming through in 21, overall it's not stopping me from enjoying the game but I agree with Dee on that when I open up the rosters and dive deep into editing things iam seeing that it's a straight copy and paste from last year with things that make no sense like for example a certain player who shots tendency to shoot the 3 was set to 0 despite him taking 2-4 attempts per game over the last two seasons and it been edited and fixed last year by 2k and it appears now with this last patch that they have again fixed it's seems like they have updated it again so maybe the roster was used as a base until they saw what players were playing like the first couple of weeks, old school nba live synergy if you will maybe, I don't know.

Talking about the continued VC issue and like people are growing custom to spending extra there was more talk in the UK and FIFA pack opening YouTubers and how EA isn't paying them to do it nor rigging packs like I've seen people say but it's the YouTube sponcers like mobile game Rage shadow (something or other) giving them like 10 large over 3 months so they choose to spend big money on packs and admitting that alot of bought packs don't even make it into videos but the effect is that people go out and try do the same which become a problem for parents more here during lockdown as kids were home playing more so in turn YouTubers were also doing the same because that's the only video content they could do.

I think sooner or later it there will be tougher rules in place of more upfront guildelines in place like gambling site have to do.

UK radio host Charlie Sloth said he spent over £2000 this summer on his LUT for FIFA which ge admitted was a problem so it's only a matter of time before something happens.

A bit of ramble lol on my part but thanks for another great episode guys!

On to
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:56 am

Appreciate you tuning in and joining in the conversation!

At this point, the only way I see the situation with microtransactions changing is through legislation. It's not going to come from goodwill from companies, and gamers can't resist the temptation or stick to a boycott.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #357: Interview with Andy Hull

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:41 pm

NLSC Podcast #357: Interview with Andy Hull

Special Guest: Andy Hull

This week we're interviewing Andy Hull, the creator of Dunk Lords and programmer on Spelunky! Andy talks about his background in programming and breaking into the industry, which included a stint making wooden toys. He also provides us with several insights into the development of Dunk Lords, which began life as a prototype called Buckets of Blood. We also talk about NBA Jam and Andy's other video gaming influences, how working on Spelunky helped him to go on to create his own game, and ask a few listener questions that were sent in for this week's special edition of the mailbag.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:43 pm

Thanx for the mailbag question and the talks around Spekunky ;)
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:36 am

Thanks for submitting the question and tuning in! Hope everyone enjoys our chat with Andy. With any luck, we'll be able to set up other interviews and guests in the future.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #358: What Could've Been, And May Yet Be

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:07 pm

NLSC Podcast #358: What Could've Been, And May Yet Be

Browsing the Marketplace on Xbox Series X reveals that NBA Jam: On Fire Edition is still available, and it's definitely still worth getting. Conversely, there's no getting our hands on NBA Live 20, but according to its recently discovered ESRB rating, it was set to come out on PC. We commiserate about what might've been, but consider what it may mean for the series' eventual return. Also in the news this week is the status of Start Today in NBA 2K21. The situation is understandable, but the lack of transparency is frustrating as usual. Dusting off NBA Live 16 also leads us to reminisce about one of the better NBA Live games from the past generation. In this week's mailbag, we answer questions about Ronnie 2K and the community, and what we've been playing in NBA 2K21.

Tune in here!

Join in the conversation right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as mailbag questions and topic suggestions for future episodes. The show also comes out on our YouTube channel, so be sure to subscribe for future episodes and other video content.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #358: What Could've Been, And May Yet Be

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:05 pm

Mailbag Call for Episode #359 and beyond!

We still have a few submissions in the bag, but we'd rather have too many than too few, so by all means keep them coming!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard