NBA 2K21 Sliders - Targeting player movement, shooting, and more

Talk about NBA 2K21 here.

NBA 2K21 Sliders - Targeting player movement, shooting, and more

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:49 pm

Hi all,

Figured I would jump in again and share some slider tweaks I made.

Note: I received a lot of great feedback, and reporting of good results with my player movement sliders on NBA 2K19 and NBA 2K20 over on Operation Sports. The thread for 2K20 is below:

forums.operationsports.com/forums/nba-2k-basketball-sliders/965053-d43-slider-tweaks-player-movement-etc.html

The goals of these sliders

1. Improve player movement: Make the players feel less sluggish, and the overall FEEL and control better.
2. Fix some of the speed/acceleration breaks that happen constantly by default
3. Cut down on the amount you are sucked into other defenders (Two man canned animations, etc)
4. Improve shooting
5. Make the game more enjoyable on the sticks, which should = more fun

Gameplay examples: This is human vs human gameplay, I am the Pelicans.

phpBB [video]

I am the 76ers here (Fantasy draft teams)

phpBB [video]

More gameplay - Durant goes off

phpBB [video]

Game of ISO-Ball

phpBB [video]

You will notice that:

1. Speed looks more consistent (Not breaking as much)
2. Acceleration actually looks like acceleration, and they maintain the acceleration instead of it breaking.
3. Players without the ball actually have a chance to catch up a little on the fastbreak (As opposed to the ball handler being A LOT faster)
4. More freedom around the rim
5. Drives that overall look more organic and realistic (Also, they were better to control)
6. Defense can move feet better (Not stuck in the mud)
7. Shooting isn't overwhelmingly poor (We are both using user timing with the meter off, the stats are at the end of the video)

- Is it perfect? no...
- Does the game have mechanics by default that can't be fixed with slider tweaks? yes...
- Is saying "Mess with the sliders or don't complain" an acceptable response to someone who has issues with the gameplay? no.... why? the LARGE majority of gamers just jump into games, and several modes don't allow you to mess with sliders
- Is the shooting in this game overall poor mechanically? Yes, you hit shots outside the window, and miss shots inside the window, and this happens quite a bit. You will miss 5 shots in a row getting right in the middle of the window, followed by making a shot with you right outside the window... it is mechanically flawed, most shooting forms feel rushed, and results often feel random. However, these sliders make the shooting a little more bearable.

Sliders - Plug these in

Game speed: 50 (Default)

Inside Shot Success - 58
Close Shot Success - 58
Mid-Range Success - 60
3-Point Success - 58
Layup Success - 60
Dunk in Traffic Frequency - 70
Dunk in Traffic Success - 65
Pass Accuracy - 55
Alley-Oop Success - 52
Body Up Sensitivity: 15
Contact Shot Success - 55
Ball Security - 60
Driving Contact Frequency: 50
Inside Contact Frequency: 50
Layup Defense Strength (takeoff): 54
Layup Defense Strength (Release): 54
Jumpshot Defense Strength (gather): 48
Jumpshot Defense Strength (release): 48
Acceleration: 60
Speed: 55
Ball Handling: 53
Fatigue Rate: 40
Lateral Quickness: 55
OFF Reb - 35
DEF Reb - 65
Fatigue Rate: 40
Speed with Ball (Max rating) - 72
Speed with Ball (Min rating) - 45
Acceleration with Ball (Max rating) - 72
Acceleration with Ball (Min rating) - 45
Speed without Ball (Max rating) - 77
Speed without Ball (Min rating) - 47
Acceleration without Ball (Max rating) - 77
Acceleration without Ball (Min rating) - 47

Note: I select Hall of Fame, followed by plugging in the sliders. So anything I didn't touch remains on default HOF. I have not shared them yet on PC, but plan on doing so after some final tweaks.

If you decide that body up sensitivity is a bit low, bring it up to around 25.... you will still get the benefit of the player movement tweaks (Look and feel). In regards to the CPU sliders, you can keep them default HOF while adjusting the movement to match the users ones. I mostly play human vs human, so we don't have to worry about the CPU shooting slider portion. Finally, these sliders will not be for everybody, as people have different playstyles, wants and needs, so if they are not for you... no hard feelings!

Last note: If you find the shooting sliders are not to your liking, just adjust those the way you want and use the player movement tweaks (If you like those).

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Last edited by Dee4Three on Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:21 pm, edited 9 times in total.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: NBA 2K21 Sliders - Targeting player movement, shooting, and more

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:29 pm

Do you know which slider is causing the breaking between animations?
ThaLiveKing

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:32 pm

ThaLiveKing wrote:Do you know which slider is causing the breaking between animations?

I don't, I think that's part of the games engine/mechanics that cant be fixed. Just like dribble warping, that can't be fixed.

I was able to make the movement feel/look more free, and cut down on the "being sucked in" constantly, and cut down on the speed breaks (you can see in that video drives with Westbrook, Ingram, Holiday, etc look more organic, natural, and have less speed interruptions)

Changing directions isnt AS clunky with the tweaks I made.

I had a feeling you were already working on sliders, will be cool to see what you come up with.

Note: If you mean SPEED breaking, I believe it's a combination of the acceleration, speed, AND player movement sliders with and without ball.... however, I might mess with it a little more to see if I can better identify the root cause.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:04 pm

Yeah I meant the speed break, I think I figured it out, It has to be the "dunk in traffic" slider. The break your referring too I believe it's the fatigue slider causing it. I turned fatigue and stamina down to 0 for 2K20 and the game felt smooth for the whole game. Fatigue I believe slows down the animations to make players seem like they're tired.
ThaLiveKing

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:20 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:Yeah I meant the speed break, I think I figured it out, It has to be the "dunk in traffic" slider. The break your referring too I believe it's the fatigue slider causing it. I turned fatigue and stamina down to 0 for 2K20 and the game felt smooth for the whole game. Fatigue I believe slows down the animations to make players seem like they're tired.

Strange... I adjusted the player movement sliders and kept fatigue at default and the speed and acceleration wasnt breaking even close to as much... did you try that?

I have fatigue at 40 and as you see in the video, the speed/acceleration looks better.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby MrArni on Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:25 am

CPU scoring too many and fast easy points. My players slowly returns to the defense.
MrArni

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:03 am

MrArni wrote:CPU scoring too many and fast easy points. My players slowly returns to the defense.

I am still working on them. The feel is what I am really trying to improve, the balance.

I didn't adjust any of the CPU tendencies. Try putting body up sensitivity up to 25, and let me know if you feel any different.

Note: I noticed a typo on player movement

The below sliders is what you should be trying for user and CPU

Speed with Ball (Max rating) - 72
Speed with Ball (Min rating) - 45
Acceleration with Ball (Max rating) - 72
Acceleration with Ball (Min rating) - 45
Speed without Ball (Max rating) - 75
Speed without Ball (Min rating) - 47
Acceleration without Ball (Max rating) - 75
Acceleration without Ball (Min rating) - 47

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:19 am

Dee4Three wrote:
ThaLiveKing wrote:Yeah I meant the speed break, I think I figured it out, It has to be the "dunk in traffic" slider. The break your referring too I believe it's the fatigue slider causing it. I turned fatigue and stamina down to 0 for 2K20 and the game felt smooth for the whole game. Fatigue I believe slows down the animations to make players seem like they're tired.

Strange... I adjusted the player movement sliders and kept fatigue at default and the speed and acceleration wasnt breaking even close to as much... did you try that?

I have fatigue at 40 and as you see in the video, the speed/acceleration looks better.

I remember I did it with 2K20 as well and that's one slider I forgot to touch until I seen your sliders, noticed a difference in movement immediately.
ThaLiveKing

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:36 am

Awesome.

any possible way we can improve the FEEL is helpful.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:07 am

Made slight adjustments to contact frequency and takeoff/release defense.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby rickberge on Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:07 am

Thanks for the slider set Dee.

My issue with the game even from the games in the past is which sliders or attributes/tendencies affect these areas:

*Break away speed in transition. In real life you see players go into a different gear once they get into transition.

*Faster one-on-one moves. Just seems like all the animations for dribbling and go to moves seem a lil sluggish. I would like to see guys have a quick first step or quicker dribbling moves.

But I'm a plug these in later tonight.
rickberge

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:14 pm

rickberge wrote:Thanks for the slider set Dee.

My issue with the game even from the games in the past is which sliders or attributes/tendencies affect these areas:

*Break away speed in transition. In real life you see players go into a different gear once they get into transition.

*Faster one-on-one moves. Just seems like all the animations for dribbling and go to moves seem a lil sluggish. I would like to see guys have a quick first step or quicker dribbling moves.

But I'm a plug these in later tonight.

Great, I think some of those items will be helped with my sliders.

Report back when you are finished testing. If they are not for you, no worries!

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:14 pm

Added new gameplay to the first post. I am the 76ers here vs my brother (Fantasy Draft Teams)

phpBB [video]

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:43 pm

Have to try but on paper I am circumspect about speed up the bigs.
in real life, one on one, no big can contain a fast player on the first steps which was always hard to reproduce on virtual hardwood.
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:45 pm

sticky-fingers wrote:Have to try but on paper I am circumspect about speed up the bigs.
in real life, one on one, no big can contain a fast player on the first steps which was always hard to reproduce on virtual hardwood.

I got beat when I was trying to guard Murray on the perimeter with Fall, or Howard, etc. The matchups can be exploited like before, just without the sluggish movement and speed/acceleration breaking.

The differentiation still exists.

The sliders wont be for everybody, adjust as you need. Just putting them out there as it may benefit some people and improve their experiences with the game.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby pamplinas322 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:26 am

Do you have one for cpu tendencies
pamplinas322

Postby intruda on Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:26 am

pamplinas322 wrote:Do you have one for cpu tendencies

Was about to ask the same. Cant do my normal tweaks this year. New born in the house.

If anyone can put up suggestions. Shooting at a decent clip and stopping the cpu from bulldozing down the lane would help alot. These 2 are game breakers.
intruda

Postby rickberge on Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:31 pm

intruda wrote:

Was about to ask the same. Cant do my normal tweaks this year. New born in the house.

If anyone can put up suggestions. Shooting at a decent clip and stopping the cpu from bulldozing down the lane would help alot. These 2 are game breakers.

I think the game is hard coded to bull-doze to the paint. But the best way to counteract this (in my opinion) is by roster editing plus some tendency adjusting...I know the roster part is tedious thats why I only edit like 2 teams a day. But for the sliders, I put the CPU:

3pt shooting- 100
Inside- 25
Mid- 50
Close- 25
Attack- 0

Roster Editing tendencies:
*Spot up 3pt shooting
*Contest 3pt shooting (75+ for just about all guards)
*Drive layup and Drive dunk (make pretty low especially for non drivers)
*Drive, off screen drive make it low
*Attack basket vs dish out (make it 50/50 or dish out higher for a more drive and kickout play)

I still have a lot of testing but I'm liking what I've seen so far. Just with the 76ers, Bucks, Bulls, and Cavs.

As far as the shooting, still messing around with that. I got all shooting at 55 which sees okay for now.
rickberge

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:42 pm

intruda wrote:

Try putting all CPU shooting tendencies at 0 and turn up offensive awareness, tell me what you get from that. I did have the CPU running sets, and it was the Knicks. I'm tweaking movement stuff at the moment, I think 55 is the sweet spot for shooting sliders.
ThaLiveKing

Postby pamplinas322 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:34 pm

ThaLiveKing wrote:
intruda wrote:

Try putting all CPU shooting tendencies at 0 and turn up offensive awareness, tell me what you get from that. I did have the CPU running sets, and it was the Knicks. I'm tweaking movement stuff at the moment, I think 55 is the sweet spot for shooting sliders.

Thanks will try this. Another thing, is there a way for the cpu to share the load? Like instead of just one player scoring 50 points you get a couple of dudes scoring 10 or 20.
pamplinas322

Postby pamplinas322 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:10 pm

rickberge wrote:
intruda wrote:

I think the game is hard coded to bull-doze to the paint. But the best way to counteract this (in my opinion) is by roster editing plus some tendency adjusting...I know the roster part is tedious thats why I only edit like 2 teams a day. But for the sliders, I put the CPU:

3pt shooting- 100
Inside- 25
Mid- 50
Close- 25
Attack- 0

*Spot up 3pt shooting
*Attack basket vs dish out (make it 50/50 or dish out higher for a more drive and kickout play)

I still have a lot of testing but I'm liking what I've seen so far. Just with the 76ers, Bucks, Bulls, and Cavs.

As far as the shooting, still messing around with that. I got all shooting at 55 which sees okay for now.

Going to check it out. Like I asked ThaLiveKing, is there a way for the cpu to share the load? Like instead of just one player scoring 50 points you get a couple of dudes scoring 10 or 20.
pamplinas322

Postby rickberge on Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:52 pm

pamplinas322 wrote:
rickberge wrote:
intruda wrote:

3pt shooting- 100
Inside- 25
Mid- 50
Close- 25
Attack- 0

*Spot up 3pt shooting

Going to check it out. Like I asked ThaLiveKing, is there a way for the cpu to share the load? Like instead of just one player scoring 50 points you get a couple of dudes scoring 10 or 20.

Thats a roster edit and playbook issue. For each team you have to set playstyle (coaching profile) and playbook to resemble that of the team. Out the box, the coaching profiles havent been touched at all and the playbook plus with the assign plays are all out of whack.... also the play discipline along with the ISO vs (type of defender) are very important with getting more distribution.
rickberge

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:22 pm

Added more gameplay to the first post.

Durant goes off (Fantasy Draft MyLeague)

phpBB [video]

Game of ISO-Ball

phpBB [video]

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby dante24 on Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:32 am

These sliders are great bro

I find it hard to stay in front of ball handlers (even using players who have clamps etc) so I'm testing some adjustments on body sensitivity and lateral quickness.

I feel that the sliders on offline modes are actually pretty decent on default compared to previous 2ks. Aside from the op blocking but these are more stock issues that require a 2k patch.
dante24

Return to NBA 2K21