Current Gen Gameplay Blog

Talk about NBA 2K21 here.

Current Gen Gameplay Blog

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:35 am

Now officially posted: https://nba.2k.com/courtside-report/nba ... de-report/

Summary

• Beluba reiterated the focus on striking a good balance between realism and fun, once again referring to turnovers on long passes as an example of what they want to avoid.
  • Cover player Damian Lillard had several suggestions, including raising the maximum height for point guards in MyCAREER. It's now 6'8".
  • The Pro Stick controls have changed: Hold down for a jumpshot, hold left or right for escape dribbles, hold up for signature size-ups, tap for quick 1-to-1 dribble moves, tap while holding Sprint for quick momentum dribbles.
  • New signature size-ups have been added (for a total of 14 Street and 36 NBA animations), and moves are now more responsive and "chain-able". Street moves are performed with a tap of the left trigger.
  • When shooting with the Pro Stick, the Shot Meter is replaced by target aiming inspired by NBA 2K17's mechanics. Instead of timing the release, you can use the whole animation to hit the target window. The same mechanics apply to layups, but this can be disabled. There are also new shot types, and over 40 new shot landings for Park.
  • Block targeting has been improved, and some of the overpowered paint moves have been toned down. There are also signature defensive styles, and player movement has been refined for more responsiveness.
  • The Badge system is basically the same as last year, though it's been refined based on telemetry data from popular builds. Shot speed has been moved back to the Jump Shot Creator, with the Quick Draw Badge being removed entirely.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Current Gen Gameplay Blog

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:55 am

So, which part is true ?
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:22 am

I've added a brief summary to the first post, but as always, I'd recommend reading the original blog for the full scoop.

sticky-fingers wrote:So, which part is true ?

I imagine we can believe that changes to the controls have happened. Whether they're as good as advertised...well, that's always the 1,000,000 VC question, isn't it?

As always, I'll reserve judgement until the game comes out and I've had a chance to try out the changes and additions for myself, but these are my initial thoughts:

• Eliminating the Quick Draw Badge and making shot speed part of the Jumpshot Creator is the right way to go. The Badge system was otherwise OK; it was the effects that were problematic and in need of tuning.
  • Toning down some of the cheap canned turnovers will probably be for the best. As it stands, the attempts to have realistic turnovers are often unrealistic anyway.
  • Sounds like it might be a good mix of signature dribbling styles and chain-able combos. Here's hoping.
  • If player movement and control responsiveness has been refined, then those will be welcome improvements. Again, here's hoping the game delivers on that promise.
  • The new shooting mechanics sound like they have good intentions, but also seem a bit contrived, especially for layups. I like parts of the idea, but I'm sceptical about the execution.
  • I'm not against taller point guards in MyCAREER and the connected modes, but if builds aren't better balanced than they have been, I could see them being a real problem online.
  • Some of those control changes are surprisingly significant for a release that's likely one of the last for its generation. That's been a hit and miss approach after establishing consistent mechanics, but we'll see how it works out.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby HeadlessFretless on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:29 am

Okay, so, despite the fact that this will be the first 2K since 09 that I won't play much (due to mandatory military service, of all things), I have a couple of thoughts on the gameplay blog:

The Quick Play badge removal was A MUST: not only did players 6'10" and up have a slow animation by default, but even guards had slower than usual releases no matter the animation. Yes, quick shooting mechanics are a skill and a pretty valuable one at that, but that skill is learned and honored way before you get into the league - few, if any players overhauled their mechanics while playing at the NBA.

I...like the taller PG's: we saw with the Lakers this year that positionless basketball is well and truly a thing now (with LBJ at PG) and right now if you're an NBA player who does have better than average playmaking instincts, you're playing at the 1 most likely, no matter the height.

The new pro-stick controls remind me of the absolute SCENES that happened when in 2K12 it was announced that the right stick would be used for dribbling - come 2020, titles like 2K11 have a huge learning curve because of the old controls, that seem almost archaic by comparison.

Also like the combinations: don't use them that much, but it makes sense.

On paper, the new shooting mechanics seem INSANELY convoluted, but it remains to be seen if they are like that in execution as well. Keep in mind, it might be like 2017 when only "hardcore" players used the aiming. As always, if someone doesn't like it, there are alternatives.
Hi, I'm headlessfretless. Check out my soundtracks!
HeadlessFretless

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:26 pm

Agreed on taller point guards, and it's not like they're a new thing, either. Penny Hardaway was specifically cited as an example, and of course there was Magic Johnson before him. As I said, my concern is whether builds are properly balanced; if not, an OP configuration plus a height of 6'8" could lead to chaos. Then again, I'm not sure the online scene could get much more chaotic.

Something I'd like to get confirmation on is how bank shots will be performed now, since holding up on the right stick is now signature size-up. Maybe that's back to being a tendency, if there's no manual control over it.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:39 pm

on paper, the new controls seem interesting.
we'll see with hands on the pad.

for all the others parts, I remain sceptical, between hollow promises, bad implementation and no care of the impact on the offline modes.
sticky-fingers

Postby ilja23mia on Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:01 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4IZEUy3p6o
is this real ? ? i mean holy shit ps5 gonna be crazy
Miami Heat All DAY
ilja23mia

Postby maumau78 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:30 pm

>The Badge system is basically the same as last year, though it's been refined based on telemetry data from popular builds. Shot speed has been moved back to the Jump Shot Creator, with >the Quick Draw Badge being removed entirely.

Best move ever...one of the few things I didn't like about 2k20
"I open at the close"

Dumbledore

You like my works? Support me! Donations Link Below:
https://paypal.me/maumau78mods
https://twitter.com/MauroAnceschi
https://www.youtube.com/user/anceschmau78/videos
maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:22 am

Absolutely. I understand what they were going for there, but it was misguided.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K21