Cross-Platform Progression for MyTEAM, NOT MyCAREER; Shared VC

Talk about NBA 2K21 here.

Cross-Platform Progression for MyTEAM, NOT MyCAREER; Shared VC

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:27 am

Another report over on OS has confirmed cross-platform progression for MyTEAM. In other words, all MyTEAM Points, Tokens, cards and progress will be shared between the PlayStation 4/Xbox One and PlayStation 5/Xbox Series X versions, meaning anyone who upgrades/double-dips won't have to start over.

The report also confirms that your VC balance will be shared between the two platforms, which is both advantageous and disadvantageous depending on the situation and how you look at it. Once again, it means that anyone who upgrades would be able to take any VC they've earned (and presumably any they've purchased) back and forth between platforms as needed and desired. Of course, it also means dipping into the same fund for both platforms, which might leave you a little short (and prone to considering paying for VC).

According to people on Twitter who have made inquiries, progression for MyCAREER and its connected modes won't carry over between the platforms. This would strongly suggest that the Next Gen version will be doing something different regarding MyCAREER whereas MyTEAM will be more or less the same on both platforms, which isn't a huge surprise.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Cross-Platform Progression for MyTEAM, NOT MyCAREER; Shared VC

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:32 pm

This is so bizarre considering MyCAREER was the thing that needed this. MyTEAM was the thing that was fun to start over at the beginning of each year, not MyCAREER.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:42 am

I've always found starting over from scratch in MyTEAM to be a bit painful as well, though I agree that it's much worse in MyCAREER. It's bad enough doing it every year, but for anyone who wants to make the Next Gen jump this year, it's going to be a real pain doing it again after just a couple of months.

Given that this is the situation though, I think we can glean that MyTEAM is going to be pretty much identical in sub-modes and content this year, whereas MyCAREER is probably going to be different in story and perhaps overall approach. Then again, maybe they're counting on MyCAREER being the moneymaker this year, especially with so many people touting their "zero dollars spent lineups" in MyTEAM, and are hoping that the need to start over there will lead to people pre-ordering the Mamba Forever edition with its additional VC, and buying more VC on top of that, to avoid the frustration of being throttled back to 60 Overall again.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby miki_92 on Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:25 am

They can easily transfer over people's builds by simply separating Park and MyCareer but why would they do that when they can f you over twice for VC

Trash company that lost any glimmer of passion that they had for the game of basketball and turned it into a greed
miki_92

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:13 am

So if I'm understanding this correctly, every single 2K20 card is coming back? Are there gonna be day one Opal squads? They need the salary cap mode more than ever now.
[Hyperize]

Postby ThePointForward on Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:42 am

The cross-platform progression will be across current-gen and next-gen 2K21 on the same console family. There was nothing said about 2K20.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:39 pm

I might have unintentionally implied that when I said:

Andrew wrote:I think we can glean that MyTEAM is going to be pretty much identical in sub-modes and content this year

I was definitely talking about Current Gen NBA 2K21 to Next Gen NBA 2K21 there, but it might've come across as a reference to NBA 2K20 content crossing over, which isn't happening.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:49 pm

Oh shit, apparently I can't read. That's not so bad then. Still should've been done with MyCAREER, but whatever. It's kinda surprising they're doing this at all.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:04 pm

It is definitely unusual and therefore interesting that they're doing it with one and not the other, but as I said, it probably comes down to having identical content where MyCAREER won't. Perhaps 2K also figures the shared VC wallet will be sufficient to upgrade a MyPLAYER on Next Gen, and pre-orders for the Mamba Forever edition will recoup any lost profits from allowing grinding up VC and making MyTEAM progress on Current Gen. It's a measure of goodwill, though one might cynically suggest that by choosing to make one form of progression cross-platform, it's intended to soften the blow and distract from the other not benefiting from it as well.

In any event, that's the situation. I think it's the right move for MyTEAM, and while it would be nice to have it for MyCAREER as well, it's better than nothing (which is what I would've expected, frankly).
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K21