The New Generation (PS5/XSX)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

The New Generation (PS5/XSX)

Postby [Q] on Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:48 am

For me, I'm a Sony guy so I was just watching a supercut of the trailers dropped yesterday. Had to look up what was revealed and they announced a Blu-ray version and a digital version of PS5. Apparently all games will have to be installed either way so there's no point in getting a Blu-ray if you're not watching movies. I don't know how they will handle disc based games, though. Perhaps you will still need to keep the disc in your drive before you play and it'll check for it. That may be the route I go as I still like getting discs and being able to trade in or let friends borrow if I want. But the price difference may be the catch

A lot of the game trailers look incredible. You can instantly see the strength of the system is on the ray tracing and lighting. The draaw distance is impressive as you look into the horizon and background of these games. Of what they showed I would be interested in the Gran Turismo 7 and the new Little Big Planet game
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Re: The New Generation (PS5/XSX)

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:23 pm

I'm sticking with PlayStation as well. It'd be handy to keep the same subscription across three consoles (now that I also have a PS3), and the backwards compatibility with PS4 is likewise appealing. I'm not interested in any of the exclusives on either console so that's neither here nor there, and I think either way one goes, you're going to be fine for power. Given I have a lot of games for PS4 on disc, I expect I'll opt for the Blu-Ray version of the PS5.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:31 pm

Ah I didn't think of the backwards compatibility which will be a big feature for me. I also have most of my PS4 games on disc. And maybe there were rumors of PS1-3 backwards compatibility too? Or was that wishful thinking lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:42 pm

As far as I'm aware they were just rumours, speculation, and wishful thinking. It'd be awesome as it would really be convenient for retro gaming/content creation, but the whole reason PS4 wasn't backwards compatible was the change in architecture, and the PS5 has similar architecture to its predecessor. To that end, I'm not counting on the PS5 being backwards compatible past the PS4. I'd be very glad to be proven wrong, though!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:31 pm

I'm honestly not ready for this new generation. A lot of the games they showed I'm still playing their modern counterparts (Spider-Man, Ratchet & Clank, etc).

[Q] wrote:Apparently all games will have to be installed either way so there's no point in getting a Blu-ray if you're not watching movies. I don't know how they will handle disc based games, though. Perhaps you will still need to keep the disc in your drive before you play and it'll check for it. That may be the route I go as I still like getting discs and being able to trade in or let friends borrow if I want. But the price difference may be the catch

Well of course there's always the "collector's market" for the people who like media on their shelves, though I'm slowly starting to phase out of that myself. And I still have PS4 discs as well, so I guess that at least means I won't have to have both consoles set up at the same time.

The only PS4 exclusives I believe I played were Spider-Man and the MediEvil remake; had I have played my cards right, I just would've stuck with Xbox Live (for Gears, Halo and everything else) and never gotten PSN (though my brother and I have the family plan on both consoles to share games and the subscriptions).

[Q] wrote:And maybe there were rumors of PS1-3 backwards compatibility too? Or was that wishful thinking lol

This would actually make me incredibly happy. I was disappointed to discover my PS3 doesn't have PS2 compatibility when I received a free NBA Live 05 copy in the instruction booklet of the Rugrats PS1 I bought off eBay.

It would also be neat to be able to record gameplay of those games, but it is wishful thinking, though I don't see why a 2020 super machine can't run hardware from the mid-'90s.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Q] on Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:36 pm

I was so sad when my original PS3 died. It could play PS2 games. It is cool that it does play PS1 games, though. I use it to play those from time to time.

Pure laziness is also apparent when I don't want to get up to switch discs to play a different game lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:19 pm

i saw the "show" on YT, the title in french was "the future of video games"
i saw a lot of videos, but few gameplay and absolutely NO innovative gameplay.
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:44 pm

[Q] wrote:Pure laziness is also apparent when I don't want to get up to switch discs to play a different game lol

I'll admit that it's been quite convenient to have NBA 2K on disc and NBA Live digitally on PS4. Whether playing or getting screenshots/videos, it's made it easy to go back and forth between two titles that have regularly been in the rotation from year to year.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:32 pm

I have to say that I am not a fan of the designs of both PS5 and Series X.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:45 pm

I saw one meme that asked which are you getting: the mini fridge, or the wi-fi router?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:17 pm

I'm getting a PS5 but probably a year later because I think it will take some time for some developers to use the PS5 to it's full potential. I'm still on the fence on the whole digital thing as it's not feasible yet here in our country due to low internet speed.

It will be insane if Sony does add backward compatibility with PS 1 through 3.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:43 pm

I know what you mean. I wasn't that impressed with the PS4's games at launch, and Internet speed/data limits used to make digital far less feasible for me as well. The latter is better these days, but there's still something enjoyable about having a physical copy.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:57 am

I think for me if there's like a $100 difference I may get the disc drive as it can be made up over the lifetime of the console by reselling used games, playing PS4 games I already have, and letting friends borrow games if I want

Also I will probably trade in my PS4 to help bring the cost down
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Phil89 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:24 pm

Also $750 AUD for the disc version or $600 for digital version.

I'll probably wait and see if there is a Gran Turismo 7 bundle offer before getting one.
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby [Q] on Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:14 pm

Attempting to pre-order right now amongst the madness. We'll see how it goes.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:16 pm

I'm waiting for JB Hi-Fi to re-open orders as I wasn't quick enough. Makes me think I'm probably not going to get one until 2021, but at least I'm likely to be in good company in that regard.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:06 pm

Dang I got to the payment page at one point and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my payment and it timed out and I lost my spot.

Hopefully I'll get another chance soon.

Also I checked I can get about 90 dollars for trading in my PS4 so that should help bring the cost down
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Phil89 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:30 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaAY-jAjm0w
phpBB [video]
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:09 am

JB Hi-Fi still isn't taking any pre-orders, and I've heard that EB Games might not have any stock beyond the initial pre-orders until 2022. It's not looking hopeful.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:08 pm

Andrew wrote:JB Hi-Fi still isn't taking any pre-orders, and I've heard that EB Games might not have any stock beyond the initial pre-orders until 2022. It's not looking hopeful.

That is pretty frustrating.

But luckily for me the only game that I'm super interested in doesn't have a release date yet, so I'm not really in a rush to buy a PS5 as soon as it launches. 2022 would be awful though :poop:
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:10 pm

For me, being able to cover NBA 2K21 Next Gen in a hands-on way is the only reason I'd want one at launch, or early 2021 if possible. Other than that, I've got a lot to keep me occupied between Current Gen and PC.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:06 am

This week is the week, and I'll see if I can snag a PS5 online on Thursday (Y)
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Hyperize] on Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:17 pm

I went very quickly from not caring about next-gen to having both consoles ordered for day one. My brother had an extra of both preordered so I snagged them, and I'll be getting 2K day one for PS5.

$2K down the drain (no pun intended :lol:)... the consoles were both the $500 versions and I got a 4K 49" TV for $1000 last weekend... a lot of money but I'm set for the next 7+ years, plus I just got my $500 bonus from work for working through the virus so I can afford it.

If I had to choose one console, PS5 wins for the launch-exclusive Mario Sunshine ripoff "Astro's Playroom". I was sort of hesitant to get Xbox right off the bat but I'd probably have gotten it eventually anyway and I'll try the Gears 5 upgrade day one.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:29 am

Pre-orders for a December 8th release went up on JB Hi-Fi this morning. Took some patience and perseverance, but finally managed to get an order through, so looks like I'll be picking up a PlayStation 5 in a few weeks! Better than sometime in 2021, that's for sure.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:35 am

I have both consoles and one of the first things I did was play Live 19 via EA Play (Series X, 4K setup)... looked great. Had a ton of fun; only played the demo before. Made a decent comeback with the Kings against a Lakers user online... just a really fun game. Love using that ESPN broadcast angle as well.

Xbox is kind of your bare bones, no-nonsense upgrade whereas PS5 is sort of weird and elaborate... even crashed on me day one. :lol:
[Hyperize]

Next

Return to Off-Topic