Dear LiveJournal,

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Dear LiveJournal,

Postby [Q] on Tue May 12, 2020 6:22 am

Oh yeah, for sure. EA has had terrible communication even on their own forums! They need some sort of stability like COD is doing weekly updates or could use a personality like 2k or Overwatch has done
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Tue May 12, 2020 8:26 am

Imagine what EA could do if they had someone on the frontline bridging the gap....
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Tue May 12, 2020 8:54 pm

It's a shame as they've had some great community managers for NBA Live over the years. There's also been quite a lot of turnover in the position, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby formx on Sat May 16, 2020 9:08 am

I really only lurk and download mods these days but I hope you guys are doing alright.

PhatGeezer wrote:NovU, you're a fantasy bball hero to me and all but I don't know why whenever I see you post in this thread it reminds me of me checking my balls for bumps whenever I see those testicular cancer awareness ads on tv... Once I felt nothing unusual on it, I know everything will be fine...
formx

Postby deihatein on Sun May 24, 2020 7:49 am

formx wrote:I really only lurk and download mods these days but I hope you guys are doing alright.

Nah, post more
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Sun May 24, 2020 1:05 pm

Agreed. The more enthusiastic veterans posting throughout the Forum, the better!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby formx on Mon May 25, 2020 5:28 pm

deihatein wrote:
formx wrote:I really only lurk and download mods these days but I hope you guys are doing alright.

Nah, post more

I'll try (Y)

So what's new with me well... My province has partially reopened since the number of cases here has declined drastically, so things are kinda getting back to normal here which is pretty good. Got laid off from my job which sucks, but I'm in a good position which I'm thankful for so I'll be okay! :D

Lately I've just been doing some feel good activities. Clearing my video game backlog, getting some exercise, trying some cooking. Thinking I should study something. But yeah, everything's good.

I think I first stumbled upon this site when I was 11 (06/07 ish. Never made an account until 09). To see this place still be around after all these years is amazing to see. Thinking about it most of the places I browsed growing up are probably long gone now.

PhatGeezer wrote:NovU, you're a fantasy bball hero to me and all but I don't know why whenever I see you post in this thread it reminds me of me checking my balls for bumps whenever I see those testicular cancer awareness ads on tv... Once I felt nothing unusual on it, I know everything will be fine...
formx

Postby mp3 on Mon May 25, 2020 10:35 pm

That's a testament to how well Andrew has moved with the times keeping this site relevant from what was once known as an nba live site to more of an nba gaming site on the whole covering different titles which to be fair it always has being but the focus has just moved and still has a strong following.

From when I got my own personal laptop back in 2001 after having family pc that I didn't understand or use I originally found the nlsc back in 2002, signed up for asked a few questions regarding live 2002 but then forgot about till the release of Live 2003 but when I went to sign back in I couldn't which I now know is because the site moved or changed serves or something??? Anyway I signed back up and MP3 was born, 17 years later and we are still rolling while other than nba.com all my original bookmarked website have long gone.
The community I think has gotten stronger and has spread onto other platforms such as Twitter where I speak daily to the "OG"s or "old heads" that I consider friends and talk about the good old days!
mp3

Postby [Q] on Tue May 26, 2020 4:29 am

I got officially laid off from my job this week but I'm sort of relieved because I didn't want to work if it wasn't going to be busy. I would have looked for a new job anyways.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue May 26, 2020 12:45 pm

Glad to hear there's a silver lining to it. Hope you find the next gig soon!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby formx on Thu May 28, 2020 1:00 pm

mp3 wrote:That's a testament to how well Andrew has moved with the times keeping this site relevant from what was once known as an nba live site to more of an nba gaming site on the whole covering different titles which to be fair it always has being but the focus has just moved and still has a strong following

Wholeheartedly agree with this. Being able to adapt to new developments is important for the longevity of any community. Like you said it's a testament to how well Andrew has moved with the times.

mp3 wrote:The community I think has gotten stronger and has spread onto other platforms such as Twitter where I speak daily to the "OG"s or "old heads" that I consider friends and talk about the good old days!

Something like that is bound to happen as technology advances. More methods of interactions is always a good thing

formx

Postby Andrew on Thu May 28, 2020 1:29 pm

I appreciate the kind words (and of course, the continued support)! It's something we had to do, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't uneasy about it at first because of the site's long history covering NBA Live, the relationship we'd built with EA to that point, and the fact that it took me a while to really get into NBA 2K because of some of the things the games did differently. It's definitely been for the best though, and allowed us to do a lot more content than we used to. Gotta keep up with the times and all that!

Of course, as far as being a place for discussion, we now indirectly compete with social media and Reddit, which is an uphill battle to say the least. I'd like to think there's still value in the niche/dedicated community, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Thu May 28, 2020 3:26 pm

Has the thought of creating a subreddit or a discord come to mind?
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Thu May 28, 2020 4:31 pm

The problem there is that then we don't get traffic to the site, which means we won't get ad revenue to pay for hosting, which means we'll have to shut down and lose all our content and file hosting. We'd also have much less control over things on those platforms. As long as we comply with all of our hosting policies, we've got a lot more freedom as our own entity.

With that being said, I've have considered making a private Discord one of the rewards for Patreon backers. Generally speaking though, I don't want to do anything that drives traffic away from the site.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Sun May 31, 2020 6:37 pm

Id personally like to keep things on the forum, I've been in the Reddit group before and honestly it was full of casuals and like Andrew said it means less traffic through this site.
mp3

Postby formx on Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:06 am

Forums are still a fine medium for the things people use this forum for. (Server space, topic organization, mods and support, etc.)

formx

Postby [Q] on Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:17 pm

The problem with discord is that some people expect immediate responses and here we can reply whenever we get to it. Works better since we're all over the world in different time zones
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:29 pm

Absolutely. Reddit's thread structure can also be problematic at times, though whatever the medium, posts can get overlooked on occasion.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:54 am

Iam not a fan of Reddit at all, maybe iam just old and not used to the format but I only joined so I could be more vocal talking about Live 19 as the Devs were doing Q&A's there but most of the time questions were only answered on the online modes and non nba related stuff which wasn't a good sign to where the game is headed.
mp3

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:02 pm

Indeed, I remember some of the Q&As. They weren't encouraging.

I think the main problem with Reddit is that if a thread becomes popular, you need to piggyback off one of the top or highly upvoted comments to be seen. The upvote/downvote system also has its drawbacks. If you go against the general sentiment of the thread, you can find yourself downvoted and your comment hidden; even if it's on-topic, well thought out, and politely expressed. Downvotes aren't supposed to be an "I Disagree" button, but that's usually how it goes whenever a comment system uses it. Incidentally, it's why I've disabled that option in our front page comments sections.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:29 pm

A little late on commenting, but I agree with Andrew 100% regarding Discord. Another forum I'm apart of, some of the members took it upon themselves to create and unofficial Discord for the site and it cut its population in half (or more than that I'd say) - it would be nice (it's totally the future) but I get it.
[Hyperize]

Postby NovU on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:42 pm

How are life treating you, good old fellas.

Times are tough but hope we all been doing good.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:45 pm

Same thing happens with official Discord servers as well. It obviously offers certain advantages, live chat being chief among them, but they can also be more exclusive if they're invite-only, whereas a message board can be more open to all; for better or worse, I suppose.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:18 am

The country seems to be getting back on its feet but iam going backwards, I managed to pick up work through most of this as temp cover for people that were "high risk" and were fairloughed at two different jobs but now there back so I've had no work in 10 days now but come 4th July more places are reopening so fingers crossed I find something then.

I worked for nearly 18 years in one job then 5 years in my next but I can't even get call backs from companies
mp3

Postby [Q] on Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:51 am

I had a call from 1 of the many places that I have applied to but it seems that they are not choosing me. We are not in a great position here in the US as places are shutting down once again, effectively wasting everything that's happened in the last 3 months or so
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic