2K REALLY must fix the "momentum" of players

Talk about NBA 2K20 here.

2K REALLY must fix the "momentum" of players

Postby Amioran on Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:23 pm

I don't know who got the idea of implementing this, but that's NOT the way a human body moves on a basketball court. Such an implementation is more suited for naval or space simulations, where a force propels a body with little attrition so the mass continues to go on for a while on a change of direction, but NOT for movement on a concrete floor. A human body doesn't continue to move 3-5 steps after a change of direction, instead it does a "pause" while weight is transferred from one foot to the other. Not only this faulty implementation causes most of the issues with sliding and icing, along the poor control you have of your players, but the AI especially cannot cope with it at all, and it's the primary reason of many of the mishaps on the defense by the CPU.

When 2K announced the blog post for the release of 2K20 I really hoped, given how they talked about their changes in foot planting and proper body weight, that they would have corrected this glaring issue that is plaguing the game since 2K18, but instead this iteration is the worst it has ever been. 2K18 was MUCH better than it is now and every year that passes it seems this legacy issue becomes larger and larger. Every time you run in this game your player slides all over the place, doing 3-5 steps more at every change of direction; it almost seems like you are playing hockey instead of basketball.

I cannot understand how testers at 2K cannot notice how players are sliding all over the floor while moving and how this has absolutely NOTHING to do with how humans run and sprint on a concrete floor. For Heaven's sake, you can have a better physics implementation with your first project in Unity by simply using a propelling force to move objects, at least there attrition works correctly and stops such a force in the correct instances (and naturally this is NOT the proper way to simulate the movement of an actual human body, as a human body is NOT moved by an external force). It's insane to think that one of the primary aspects of a basketball game is so badly implemented in this game. If you have wrong movement in a game centered on movement then what good all the rest can do?

For me, 2K20 is simply unplayable given this issue. The only way to lower it a little is by reducing drastically game speed, but then players move at a snail pace and all animations play at half the speed. That's clearly not a proper solution and nothing you can do with sliders either as that's an hardcoded engine implementation of how bodies move.

I really hope that for next gen 2K will finally implement proper physics in their engine, elsewhere this will the last 2K I will ever play. It's insane to think that, even while with canned animations, you had better movement before the implementation of proper physics for movement (or at least that's how it should have been) in the game (since the implementation of the new motion engine from 2K18 onwards).
Amioran

Re: 2K REALLY must fix the "momentum" of players

Postby ThaLiveKing on Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:24 am

the whole footwork can be fixed if they understood how sliders and ratings affect their game play, I said the same thing about the momentum months ago. I think it was FIFA 18 that had a similar issue with offensive players creating way too much space due to momentum. 2K just put a bandaid on it this year, maybe they have plans to fix it but they should overhaul their foot planting tech.
ThaLiveKing

Postby Amioran on Fri May 01, 2020 3:21 pm

Let's hope 2K is just waiting on the release of the new gen to introduce the new tech for what it concerns foot planting and movement on the court, and for now they are only releasing band aids to try to mitigate the issues. However I have a nagging fear that they will instead focus most of their resources on the introduction of a new neighborhood and greatly enhancing the graphics instead. I hope I'm 110% wrong on this, but knowing 2K it is obvious that online play and the casual audience are their primary targets right now.

Now I know that implementing a proper human body movement simulation is a very difficult thing to do, and that's why there are third party techs dedicated exclusively to it, however you would expect a multi billionaire company as 2K to have the resources to either acquire such tech or creating a competing one of their own, since movement on the court is the most important aspect of a basketball simulation. Instead the actual implementation is something that you expect a first year programmer student to release for a school project, and I'm not using hyperbole. That's literally how basic the movement of players is implemented in this game.

This only happens because 2K only focus right now is in the production of a PvP online background, instead than a proper simulation of a basketball game. It has been for quite a while now and I greatly fear that it will continue to be so indefinitely.
Amioran

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sun May 03, 2020 2:03 am

player movement doesn't have to be perfect, but it has to be a lot better than what it is now. Online PVP is ruining sports games in general because execs feel that the game is good enough to capitalize off what they've built rather than improve on it. The only game I really feel fixed their game play was NHL.

When playing the mods, especially on the smaller courts I've noticed the difference in foot planting and its much worse on the smaller court, a lot more warping happens, so that stuff under the hood definitely needs an overhaul because its old tech. It's also probably why 2K slows the game play down online in the parks. If 2K waits until August to show us anything I'll just assume its more of the same.
ThaLiveKing

Postby BrotherJRB on Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:29 am

I have the momentum of layups/dunks. Fastbreak or open basket layups looks awful.
2013 is the year?
Thanks to Vl@d, Leftos and all the other patchers for their hard work.
BrotherJRB

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:46 am

Getting drawn into two-man animations doesn't help, as the AI is adept at pulling you back on the break, which contributes to the issue of pulling up for a jumper instead of continuing forward and gathering for a dunk or layup.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K20