NBA ending partnership with Spalding

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

NBA ending partnership with Spalding

Postby [Q] on Mon May 25, 2020 4:38 am

I remember growing up Spalding was the Holy Grail as far as balls go because "that's what the pros use".

As I got older, I loved Wilson especially the Jet Evolution because that's what they used in high school. It had such a great feel to it plus my hands were always so dry but the ball wasn't too slick for my hands like they were for a lot of other ones. Now the NBA will be using Wilson balls so hopefully players don't revolt against this ball change like they did on the last one
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Re: NBA ending partnership with Spalding

Postby Andrew on Mon May 25, 2020 1:14 pm

End of an era. Here's hoping it works out, and isn't like some of the NBA's other changes in recent years, which have felt like change for change's sake.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Mon May 25, 2020 7:45 pm

To be fair to Spalding they said back in 2006 that they were running out of materials to make the official ball hense why they made changes to it back then but quickly went back to the old ones, I wonder if Spalding have in fact run out of materials to make the old ball, who knows?

It is more likely that it's more just about money and Wilson offering more because that's the world we live in.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Tue May 26, 2020 12:11 am

I'm guessing it comes down to money, though that could be a possibility as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby big-shot-ROB on Tue May 26, 2020 7:01 pm

Man, I don't think I will get used to the NBA not having a Spalding ball.

Like whenerver you used to see a Spalding ball in stores, with their more dark brown saturated look, their golden accents, I remember everyone thought that was premium sh*t.
big-shot-ROB
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Postby Andrew on Tue May 26, 2020 10:23 pm

It's definitely one of those things that's been synonymous with the NBA.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Wed May 27, 2020 2:42 pm

Andrew wrote:I'm guessing it comes down to money, though that could be a possibility as well.

If money is the reason for all iconic things to change, I wouldn't even be surprised if they changed the jerry west logo.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Wed May 27, 2020 2:58 pm

Well, people were pushing for it in the wake of Kobe's passing, and Adam Silver seems determined to put his stamp on the game. They've already updated the colours of the logo, so it wouldn't surprise me if they change the design as well. It'd be a shame, as it's a simple but iconic design.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed May 27, 2020 5:19 pm

It wouldn't be a big surprise if they changed the logo. The NFL changed theirs a few years back, altering the number of stars that appeared above the shield
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed May 27, 2020 5:22 pm

Looks like they've kept the same basic design throughout the years. The NBA should do the same, should it make any further alterations.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Sat May 30, 2020 4:55 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:Man, I don't think I will get used to the NBA not having a Spalding ball.

Like whenerver you used to see a Spalding ball in stores, with their more dark brown saturated look, their golden accents, I remember everyone thought that was premium sh*t.

Growing up during the 60s & 70s, Spalding was it (along with Converse sneakers). Brings back memories of playing on the blacktop.
Jeffx

Return to NBA & Basketball