Rebounding seems very cheaty for the A.I.

Talk about NBA 2K20 here.

Rebounding seems very cheaty for the A.I.

Postby wombatvvv on Tue May 05, 2020 12:23 am

This BS is so frustrating. At a crucial time in the game, I had to rage quit afterwards. :oops:

Seriously though, is this just the AI being extremely cheaty or am I doing something wrong? FWIW, my guys has pretty decent rebounding stats (75 for O and D) and a few rebounding badges. What did I do wrong here? This happens all the time, and sometimes it's even worse, like point guards coming over my back to take a rebound right out of my hands. How come the player can never do that?

wombatvvv

Re: Rebounding seems very cheaty for the A.I.

Postby Andrew on Tue May 05, 2020 12:01 pm

You're not doing anything wrong. Ball warping and canned rebounds are definitely a thing with the current engine/motion system:

phpBB [video]

The AI also tends to have the advantage in these situations, being able to will the ball into its hands (and even through yours).
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby wombatvvv on Wed May 06, 2020 12:27 am

It's very frustrating. Especially if you have a glass-cleaner in MyCareer.
wombatvvv

Postby Andrew on Wed May 06, 2020 1:13 am

It's one of the things I hope can be improved heading into the next generation. It feels like the current tech doesn't do as good of a job of masking the inner workings as previous tech did. Making a basketball game with 100% real physics is easier said than done which is why we do have canned moments and animations, but I feel like the smoke and mirrors aren't as good with the current tech, which makes those moments look and feel phoney.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Wed May 06, 2020 7:04 pm

It is, very frustrating.

The cpu always snags away rebounds they shouldn't be able to get to on the off end.

It's more anoying when they do it and land right under the basket while yourself, the momentum carries you 5-10 feet away resulting in an easy put back
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Wed May 06, 2020 8:11 pm

Oh, the AI's ability to recover and snare offensive boards is extraordinarily frustrating. I'd suggest that the user and AI play by different rules in general when it comes to movement and physics. Sure feels that way.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby wombatvvv on Wed May 06, 2020 10:53 pm

I have noticed that it gets a noticeably better once you grab the silver rebound chasing badge and bumped up my rebounding skills.

I guess they have to give players an advantage who have a better rebounding statistics somehow. Just because you get into position with a 50-rebounding player doesn't mean you can suddenly snatch boards away from Andre Drummond. I do get that. I just wish they'd do something about the animations so it didn't look so cheaty. Or maybe have the poor-rebouding player get knocked out of the way or something, anything but having the ball warp into the other's player's hands.
wombatvvv

Postby Andrew on Wed May 06, 2020 11:37 pm

Absolutely. Like I said, it's understandable that there are canned moments because the tech isn't there to do real physics satisfactorily (at least in a basketball game), and as you noted, players with superior rebounding abilities need to stand out with their performance on the boards. Once again though, it feels like the game needs better smoke and mirrors to hide that stuff and make it look and feel organic, even if the mechanics are somewhat canned.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby BrotherJRB on Tue May 12, 2020 2:54 am

I use player lock and my team kills on the glass. My biggest gripe is they have the same animation from NCAA 2010 (guessing Live as well). It is the animation that is spastic compared to the other speeds....I hope they continue to improve around the basket animations.
2013 is the year?
Thanks to Vl@d, Leftos and all the other patchers for their hard work.
BrotherJRB

Return to NBA 2K20