Space Jam 2 titled and release date announced

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Space Jam 2 titled and release date announced

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat May 02, 2020 10:44 pm

July 16, 2021.

A couple tidbits:

- I'm curious if the Looney Tunes'll be depicted classically or in the style of the upcoming HBO Max cartoons.
- The Monstars are rumored to have been replaced by classic Warner Bros. movie villains (Joker, Mask, Pennywise, Voldemort and the Wicked Witch)... this is weird if true.
- I'm curious if this will get its own video game or if 2K will somehow partner with it.
[Hyperize]

Re: Space Jam 2 titled and release date announced

Postby [Q] on Sun May 03, 2020 6:11 am

I could see them making the Looney tunes in a new style, especially if they have a new show coming out. I hope they bring Lola back lol

A Space Jam video game would be cool. I don't recall one made for the original but I loved Looney tunes b-ball jam for SNES back in the day.

Never forget LeBron used this as a recruiting tool to get free agents to sign with the Lakers lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun May 03, 2020 11:56 am

There was a video game for the original. It's pretty mediocre as far as replay value is concerned, but adding mini-games based on movie scenes before the game and between quarters was something a bit different.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Mon May 04, 2020 4:43 am

Yes, Looney Tunes B-Ball on the SNES was the real experience, and Space Jam was surprisingly mediocre/tame.
[Hyperize]

Postby mp3 on Wed May 06, 2020 7:31 pm

I interested to see what the film will be like, I don't expect it to be as much of a box office sellout like the first one was but I expect it to do well
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Wed May 06, 2020 7:45 pm

A gritty reboot, perhaps?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed May 06, 2020 7:47 pm

I think this time Monstars gonna win, LeBron needs more help :cheeky:
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Wed May 06, 2020 7:53 pm

That's long been the joke, hasn't it? LeBron ends up joining the villains?

I think it'll be fine for a younger crowd, just as the first one was. Space Jam was by no means a critical darling and I'm not about to argue that it should've been, but it appealed to my generation and we enjoyed it for what it was. I do think it was a product of its time though, so it'll be interesting to see if it resonates to the same extent with the same age demographic now.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Wed May 06, 2020 8:05 pm

Hahahaha yeah Jordan had Bugs

LeBron will have Wade, Bosh, Kyrie, Joel Anthony and the refs whistle to beat the monsters
mp3

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed May 06, 2020 8:25 pm

You know that that i was just trolling. I have no expectations about this movie and no interest (in the 1st neither)
sticky-fingers

Postby mp3 on Wed May 06, 2020 8:37 pm

Of course, I don't have much interest in the second to be honest, Iam interested to see how it reflects to the first but again I don't expect much from it.
mp3

Postby Andrew on Wed May 06, 2020 11:30 pm

I'll also leave it for those it's aimed at, though I do think audiences deserve better than blatant rehashes.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Thu May 07, 2020 1:43 am

I tried my daughter with the first film she was like... "meh" it's no Toy Story or frozen but I got one thing from it and that was downloading the "hit em high" theme song for nostalgia
mp3

Postby Andrew on Thu May 07, 2020 1:57 am

Yeah, I don't see it as being timeless, just nostalgic for those of us who enjoyed it back then.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun May 10, 2020 2:55 am

Oddly enough I sat down and watched Space Jam from the beginning to the part where Barkley played with the girls (didn't finish it because I'm horrible at watching movies) yesterday for the first time in probably 20 years because someone on another forum said no one genuinely likes it and I'd have to disagree. I'd have no problem finishing the entire film as a huge Looney Tunes head ditto an obvious basketball one. It was definitely interesting going back to it after such a long time as an adult (a lot of intricacies I had forgotten about entirely or just tuned out like the CGI leading the way to Moron Mountain, or even some weird things like I'm pretty sure the animation style for the Looney Tunes just changes at random points in the film). I'm pretty sure as a kid I either just skipped or tuned out all the boring human segments (though I did always love the scene when Jordan goes home to his family at the beginning).

I love the McDonald's product placement in the video game and in Mike's hotel room lol:

phpBB [video]

Something I appreciate about this film is it is not boring. There's no boring intro sequence explaining who the Looney Tunes are or what they're doing; we just join them immediately doing what they do best. Five bucks says this sequel will introduce them to this new generation of ballers who probably have no clue who the fuck they are.

Looney Tunes is a timeless franchise that has failed to cling on since pretty much Space Jam (with one final shot at a hurrah with "Back in Action" which I thought was stellar), akin to the Muppets.

I do think this sequel would've had a better place 10 years ago. LeBron just seems like the old man in the league now; his generation was a decade ago: he could've had Wade, Bosh, CP3, Dwight Howard, Kobe and Carmelo in the film. That would've fit better in my opinion, but still, better late than never.

The original is a nice time piece in a way: back when kids still knew who the Looney Tunes were, they aired classic shorts on TV, etc. Sometimes I ache for the '90s so bad to an unhealthy degree.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Q] on Sun May 10, 2020 3:49 am

Hyperize- wrote:Yes, Looney Tunes B-Ball on the SNES was the real experience, and Space Jam was surprisingly mediocre/tame.

Read up on it and apparently the same company made both games.

mp3 wrote:I tried my daughter with the first film she was like... "meh" it's no Toy Story or frozen but I got one thing from it and that was downloading the "hit em high" theme song for nostalgia

God damn every single song on the soundtrack is a banger. Every single one.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun May 10, 2020 4:44 am

Hyperize- wrote:someone on another forum said no one genuinely likes it and I'd have to disagree.

Yeah, that's some snobby nonsense on their part there. I don't think many people genuinely consider it a cinematic masterpiece or anything crazy like that, but I have no doubt a lot of people really do enjoy it, and not ironically.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Mon May 11, 2020 5:59 pm

The intro of Space Jam gives me chills. It's like a short story of how Michael Jordan became the Mount Rushmore of basketball.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby [Hyperize] on Fri May 15, 2020 10:36 am

Exactly! This movie is very charming and nostalgic.
[Hyperize]

Return to NBA & Basketball