If All Star voting ends NOW...

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:43 pm

I doubt it, the same as MJ can't overtake Carter, Hill, McGrady or Iverson. But a sense of tradition may see them selected, though MJ has a better chance of starting due to injuries in the East.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Big Answer on Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:50 pm

What a shame: Yao in the starting five !!!!!
What's that bullshit ????.......... :x
Big Answer

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:59 pm

That's always the case with the All-Star game though. It's not always the 24 best or 24 most deserving players in the NBA, it's who the fans want to see. Yao Ming naturally has a huge fan base in China, and I'm sure his popularity is growing worldwide as well. His numbers may not be as good as Shaq's, but a lot of people want to see him in the game.

Guess this rules out an appearance in the Rookie/Sophomore Challenge.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Clinton on Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:00 pm

I think it may have something to do with the majority of the Asian population voting for him. I can't wait until the Lakers play the Rockets (I think it is in the next couple of weeks.). Shaq is going to have a point to prove. Man I would hate to be Yao Ming.
Clinton

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:11 pm

That reminds me, did anyone else see Shaq issue an apology for remarks he made in regards to Yao Ming? Apparently when asked about Yao's chances against him, Shaq looked into the camera and said "Tell him..." and proceeded to mock the Chinese language by saying "Ching-chang-wong-ah-soh" and the like? A column in a Chinese newspaper with the heading "Shaq is a racist" brought light to the incident, and hence Shaq recently apologised for his remarks.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Big Answer on Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:13 pm

Go Shaq !!!!!!!!!
Tell him who'z tha masta.........!!!!!!!!!!!
Yao's dead.........my god!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Big Answer

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:20 pm

Mind you, the Sacramento "Queens" remark proved to be ill-advised on Christmas Day, so who knows, his "attempt" at Chinese may prove not only to be somewhat disrespectful, but also a little too cocky. Still, it is Shaq, and his game often speaks for itself. If only his mouth stayed silent sometimes. :?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Clinton on Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:29 pm

If there is one guy who can back up his mouth it is Shaq.
Clinton

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:35 pm

True. It will certainly be an interesting matchup, as Yao has probably not played against someone as large and strong as Shaq (who as we know is very talented for a player his size), while Shaq has never played anyone who can really rival him in both size and skill, though Shaq still holds the advantage in size despite Yao being some 4 or 5 inches taller.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Clinton on Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:41 pm

though Shaq still holds the advantage in size despite Yao being some 4 or 5 inches taller.

Yeah by about 100 pounds.
Clinton

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:48 pm

Back to the topic, do you think Shaq will skip the All-Star game if he is selected as a reserve? Every year he's played he's started, and as I said earlier, MJ is apparently planning to skip the game if he's not picked as a starter.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Clinton on Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:55 pm

do you think Shaq will skip the All-Star game if he is selected as a reserve?

I think he might. He will be very pissed off if/when Ming beats him. You can't really blame him, he is the best centre in the west, the best centre in the league, he should be starting. But as always it comes down to the fans choice and not the player that deserves it most.
Clinton

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:58 pm

I wonder if he does decide to skip whether the NBA will threaten him with a suspension (as they did with Karl Malone back in 2000).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Big Answer on Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:40 pm

Can U imagine Shaq to be sidelined in a All Star game ???
For me, chinese people didn't respect the rulez........and americans HAD to give more votes to Shaq...How did U let this happen ??? Didn't U see earlier that Yao was given more votes than Big Shaq daddy ????
It's a shame for the whole basketball world.... :(
And O'Neal has to say what he thinks of that situation......it proves that All Star voting by fans all other the world sometimes can result in big surprises.........as now
Yao ----------> go to Rookie game......wait for your time :oops:
Big Answer

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:43 pm

A lot of the perennial All-Stars (Magic, Isiah, Bird) had at least one year where they came off the bench in the All-Star game though, so it wouldn't be unprecedented.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Big Answer on Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:51 pm

Andrew wrote:

A lot of the perennial All-Stars (Magic, Isiah, Bird) had at least one year where they came off the bench in the All-Star game though, so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

Yeah, but as a center, there's no one better than him, for the moment.....
I would say that he's the only "pure" center of the league, like Chamberlain in the 60's........the way they dominate the league on their post is incredible..... :wink:
Big Answer

Postby Cudacke on Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:12 am

Big Answer wrote:Can U imagine Shaq to be sidelined in a All Star game ???
For me, chinese people didn't respect the rulez........and americans HAD to give more votes to Shaq...How did U let this happen ??? Didn't U see earlier that Yao was given more votes than Big Shaq daddy ????
It's a shame for the whole basketball world.... :(
And O'Neal has to say what he thinks of that situation......it proves that All Star voting by fans all other the world sometimes can result in big surprises.........as now
Yao ----------> go to Rookie game......wait for your time :oops:

what rules ??
Kobe was starting while benching on the lakers years ago.
Maybe you need to check out the dictionary about the word "favorite".
Cudacke

Postby Matt on Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:13 am

if GP doesnt make it to the All-Star game then something is wrong
no way that Franchise, the dude with a really really bad haircut, and Bibby are better than GP. GP is easily #1 in the West

finally, no Mutombo this year, Ben Wallace starts which is what he deserves

Carter doesn't deserve to be an All-Star and hopefully he won't play
Matt

Postby Big Answer on Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:11 am

Cudacke wrote:
what rules ??
Kobe was starting while benching on the lakers years ago.
Maybe you need to check out the dictionary about the word "favorite".

That's what I'm just saying........chinese voted for their "favorite" player, and as they're numerous, Yao got lots of votes......now this is the truth......unfortunately. Shaq won't play this AS Game.... becoz of them
Big Answer

Postby benji on Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:52 am

That's the result of any fan voting. You either give up all fan voting, or you deal with it.

For the record, I'm very much in favor of abolishing fan voting and having the coaches pick.
benji

Postby Rens on Tue Jan 14, 2003 7:02 am

Clindrew wrote:
based on the fact other players are more deserving, because they have played better.

This doesn't matter. It is who the fans want to see.

The fans vote for who they think deserve it?

Clindrew wrote:
Sorry but it goes automatically, I just press the quote button.

So how does that turn my name into something that doesn't look much like my name?

Dunno, it's not my forum...

Clindrew wrote:
If you think it's funny I'll just keep it that way.

Not so much funny as inmature.

Immature. But you said...
little joke

Clindrew wrote:
Besides if even you know who is meant...

Come again??

You said it doesn't even remotely resemble your name, yet you know who is meant, hence it's likely it does resemble your name.
But don't worry... no one will ever rape you.
Rens

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby Clinton on Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:14 am

For the record, I'm very much in favor of abolishing fan voting and having the coaches pick.

A very good idea. Then the players that deserve to be playing and the players that deserve to start would be picked on their current form and not their popularity. This does take the fans completely out of the picture, maybe they could pick the contestents for the dunk contest.

No. I'll say it again. It is who the fans want to see. Why else would Carter be picked in the starting lineup. He certainly doesn't deserve it. Fans just wanna see a show.

You said it doesn't even remotely resemble your name, yet you know who is meant,

Because the points I have made were being quoted under that name.

WTF
Clinton

Postby Rens on Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:05 pm

Clindrew wrote:maybe they could pick the contestents for the dunk contest.

If the fans were to vote the contestants for the dunk contest you'd have the same thing as your problem now with the all star game, people would all vote for Jordan to compete there while he can hardly dunk at a high level anymore.

Clindrew wrote:

No. I'll say it again. It is who the fans want to see. Why else would Carter be picked in the starting lineup. He certainly doesn't deserve it. Fans just wanna see a show.

A healthy Vince Carter would deserve playing in the all star game. The point was about Jordan not deserving it though, and he doesn't deserve it, T-Mac, Iverson, Kidd, Allen, etc etc all deserve it more.

Clindrew wrote:

WTF

I see you'd rather have it the other way around... fine by me :roll:
Last edited by Rens on Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rens

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby Clinton on Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:17 pm

If the fans were to vote the contestants for the dunk contest you'd have the same thing as your problem now with the all star game,

No you wouldn't because people would vote for the best dunkers so they can have a show. Not old guys that can barely dunk anymore.

A healthy Vince Carter would deserve playing in the all star game.

Not on his current form.

T-Mac, Iverson, Kidd, Allen, etc etc all deserve it more.

Yes they do, and that is why they are playing.

I see you'd rather have it the other way around... fine by me

You wanna tell me what this rape shit is about. Not another of your great jokes. :roll:
Clinton

Postby scubilete on Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:50 pm

Shaq goes versus Yao this Friday, but I think it will be a referee matter bcause Shaq will try to humiliate Yao and they won't let him do that. In fact, I believe that they might take Shaq out for fouls, that's where this game sucks. :evil:

Let Shaq do his show and make Yao eat his words!!!!.
scubilete

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball