2019-2020 Season Daily Discussion

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: 2019-2020 Season Daily Discussion

Postby Phil89 on Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:01 pm

Andrew wrote:Russell always struck me as a weird signing, given that they already had Curry. Even with Thompson on the shelf it didn't seem like a good fit, and although Curry's injury changed the situation again, Russell still didn't seem like a long-term solution. You know those weird signings for the sake of having player movement in older franchise modes in video games? That's kind of what it felt like, or perhaps a desperation move to get a "name" when Durant walked.

100%. It always seemed like they just acquired him as an asset, so that they didn't lose Durant for nothing. He never made sense fit wise.

I guess we now get to see if Andrew Wiggins is truly mediocre or if it was just the T-Wolves. If the Warriors with their culture can't turn him into a player, then no one can.
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby [Q] on Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:23 am

Lots of people have been talking shit on Wiggins, saying how bad he was or how much of a disappointment he was.i personally don't get it. Admittedly I haven't seen him play in years but his numbers have been pretty decent and Minnesota hasn't been a great team overall. As a third or fourth option on the warriors I think he could succeed
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Phil89 on Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:47 pm

I don't think he is a bad player. It's just that he never lived up to the hype of being a #1 pick or the massive contract that he signed.

I remember watching one Minnesota game where Doris Burke was commentating and she was giving Wiggins a hard time about his laziness. Really summed it up. Link

There is still time for him to turn things around.
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:16 pm

Being a number one pick and signing big contracts carries some weighty expectations, so to some extent I think the criticism and disappointment is justified. It's fair to say that there's some exaggeration and unfairness though, and it comes down to common problems with these discussions: impatience, overlooking context, oversimplification, personal bias, and perhaps most importantly, the false dichotomy where anything or anyone that doesn't tick all the boxes for excellence is written off as terrible with no nuanced ratings in between.

Wiggins obviously has skill and talent. There are things he can do at least reasonably well at the NBA level. That he doesn't necessarily play as efficiently as other players or hasn't had the same success doesn't mean that he isn't talented and capable, or that he couldn't be performing better in a different role or system. Players much older than him have finally blossomed into better players, or been able to find a place where they can make positive contributions on winning teams. There's also a ton of middle ground between excellent and terrible; it's not just those two extremes separated by a distinct line, but that's pushed aside in favour of bold absolutes. Sometimes mediocrity is acknowledged, but even that's a rough midway point with plenty of other notches either side of it on the scale.

Labels also tend to stick. Remember when Vince Carter was labelled as being injury prone? He had a couple of unlucky years in the early 2000s, but was quite durable before and after that. Nevertheless, people kept talking about how he was injury prone and soft. Now he's playing in his record 22nd season, and is the first player to play in four different decades. Go figure. Players get labels before they're due, and we don't always change those labels when they prove to be ill-fitting. For people who have decided that Wiggins is a total bust and a terrible player, any evidence to the contrary - or at least, evidence that suggests that while he may not be a franchise player, he's nowhere near as bad as they say - simply doesn't matter. The evidence is picked based on the label, rather than the label coming from what's actually evident.

Anyway, a fresh start might be what he needs. A new role with a well-coached team with less turnover and turmoil, and more talent when healthy, could allow him to settle into a role he's suited to and can perform well. It's hard to shake an ill-fitting label, but it's not impossible.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:28 pm

On another note, Damian Lillard is going to owe the NBA some money for going off on the referees, and fair enough since those are the rules/code of conduct. However, he has absolutely every right to.

phpBB [video]

The initial response by the referees that there was no way it was a goaltend was ridiculous. I know the instinct is to defend yourself, your actions, and your decisions, but immediately doubling down like that was a bad look. NBA officials have responded very poorly to criticism in recent times, with the official Twitter account putting out some absurd explanations for clearly horrible calls. They've acknowledged they screwed up since, but Lillard isn't letting up, and I don't blame him. The fine's coming anyway, he might as well have a spray.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:38 pm

Great buzzer beater by Bojan Bogdanovic.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:33 pm

This is the tip of the iceberg on the ridiculous jersey combinations:

phpBB [video]

Am I weird? How come no one seems to have a problem with this?
[Hyperize]

Postby [Q] on Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:26 pm

Man, that's the worst, when guys get pigeonholed or typecast especially when starting caliber players get typecast as bench players or a sixth man.

Lillard said in the locker room afterwards they cost us the fucking game lol

Okay, if teams don't want to wear white at home, they should still require the other team to wear white. This is so irritating
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Phil89 on Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:31 pm

Apparently this was Adams' first career 3-point basket. He did it so casually :lol:

https://twitter.com/okcthunder/status/1 ... 6779105281

https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status ... 5629622272
My Stories
Phil89

Postby [Hyperize] on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:08 pm

More quality jersey pairings:

phpBB [video]
[Hyperize]

Postby NovU on Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:18 am

A few thoughts these days:

So the Rockets go all in on 5 man out basketball pretty much full time. Covington becomes a really important piece now as they hadn't had much success with pieces they had for 5 man out ball strategy. Perhaps this being last year in Houston for Morey and D'Antoni, something drastic had to be done anyways. Also sheds Capela's big contract off the book saving them the tax. Nonetheless, the Rockets now become an interesting team to watch again.

All era representing superstars have been freaks of nature and this Giannis seems to be especially so. Gotta bring the hand checking rule back otherwise there is no stopping him at all. The league will probably bring some adjustment/changes in rule or in how is being officiated but this will probably only happen once he wins a ring or two and everyone gets bored of him as they did with Shaq hence the reason why 5 second backing down anti-Shaq rule came into effect.

No. Andrew Wiggins is a shit player until he proves otherwise.

This playoffs race in western conference is just insane now that Pelicans are actually playing winning ball with super rookie Zion. Another surprising team is the Grizzlies. They have so little and no real big names but somehow they crept up in the playoffs seed with half way into the season. Perhaps it's a good thing Iggy's finally gone. Also can't sleep on Lillard. Pops done though imho.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Jeffx on Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:46 am

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/john ... gan-coach/

Can't say I'm surprised. I thought he was crazy for going to Cleveland in the first place. I think he'd have more success if he went to a franchise that wasn't a dumpster fire, had better talent and a real owner/front office.
Jeffx

Postby [Q] on Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:00 am

Wonder how they got him to resign instead of firing him

Mr. "I meant to call them slugs"
Yeah, right.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jeffx on Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:04 am

Can't believe the Doctor is 70....seems like only yesterday I was watching him operate for the Nets at the Nassau Coliseum during his ABA days. Thanks for the memories Doc!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01FMztMMD8c
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:06 am

I had a similar moment when I realised I'm now the same age MJ was when he won his last championship. Where did the time go?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:44 pm

I will take a 13-game series of the Cavs and Warriors' current team right now just to see some basketball. Please.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby [Q] on Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:45 am

Was actually looking into how I can watch CBA basketball lmao

Wouldn't mind watching Jeremy Lin dominate
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Fri May 29, 2020 2:39 am

They're in the midst of talking about how to restart the league in July at the ESPN World Wide of Sports complex in Disney world.

They're discussing whether it should just involve teams in the playoff picture now and forgo the 20 games left or if they should play it out or do a soccer style group stage with the top 20 which seems like a happy medium that allows bubble teams to try to earn their way in
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri May 29, 2020 3:31 am

I'd rather they play out the season, though the other way would perhaps be more feasible. My concern with that is that it could become permanent, and I'm not a fan of that idea.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri May 29, 2020 7:15 am

Yeah I'm definitely not a fan of anything that allows a play-in under normal circumstances. I like the traditional east/west 16 team playoffs.

But playing out the season means meaningless games for a lot of teams. the soccer-style group stage allows them to utilize those teams that really have a chance. The worst teams just want to tank at this point anyways.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri May 29, 2020 12:51 pm

If it's a one-time thing then it's not so bad. It definitely makes sense given the unusual circumstances.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Sat May 30, 2020 5:02 pm

[Q] wrote:Yeah I'm definitely not a fan of anything that allows a play-in under normal circumstances. I like the traditional east/west 16 team playoffs.

But playing out the season means meaningless games for a lot of teams. the soccer-style group stage allows them to utilize those teams that really have a chance. The worst teams just want to tank at this point anyways.

I'd rather the NBA go straight to the playoffs instead of playing out the season. I've had my fill of lousy basketball in NYC.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Sat May 30, 2020 11:01 pm

Glancing at the standings, I'm reminded that the regular season is just short of 70 games through across the board. Perhaps they could play through to 70 (or 72) games; if the teams on the outs can't make up any ground by then, I'd say the seeds have been fairly decided. As it stands, the Blazers are 3.5 games behind the Grizzlies for the eighth spot. It's not the closest race for the bottom seed in either conference, so if they did go straight into the Playoffs, that wouldn't be completely unfair.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun May 31, 2020 4:14 am

That is true, I wouldn't be completely opposed to it. The odds of them overcoming the deficit while winning only 45-50 percent of games left are low. But the return of Nurkic could change things. They haven't had him all year
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun May 31, 2020 2:04 pm

Either way, as long as this season remains an anomaly, I'm fine with it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball