Custom rosters for 2k20

Talk about NBA 2K20 here.

Custom rosters for 2k20

Postby Vedreanu on Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:08 am

Hi, guys.

So i've been playing around with CPU vs CPU matches/simulations.
Trying to achieve realistic outcome distributions or at least something on the track of realistic.

Here you can see my experiments:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdeKc9 ... subscriber

I played dosens of (60+) test matches between Milwaukee and Miami, used as some kind of a reference point...

Anyways, no matter the sliders, coaching settings, systems etc... Bucks just win to big share of matches, like 9 out of 10,

So obviously, players ratings intervention is neccesary.
But after thinking some time about it I found out I dont know which ratings should I lower at Bucks and Lakers, two most overpowered teams in NBA 2K20.

Because, here is the deal:
I also tried testing what INTANGIBLES actually do, played some test matches without hard conclusions ,also there was just to few of matches.
Here are examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB2ogiedy04&t=82s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOLPuAxq4o0&t=4997s

I simulated seasons having players with MAX and LOW intangibles. THe only difference was SLIGHTLY worse outputs in general. Nothing to specific.

THe thing that bothers me actually is - what makes Bucks players play so specially good? Is it a lot of badges? Tendencies?
Some skills that are overpowered? Maybe intangibles?

Why do Bucks play by default up tempo, while Heat do not? How to influence that?

MAybe thats what intangibles do?

TO cut the story short - I am reaching for some help here.
Maybe some users have made CUSTOM ROSTERS for this season with all these problems solves, so I could just load them and save me some wasted precious real life time :mrgreen:

thanks
Vedreanu

Re: Custom rosters for 2k20

Postby bluejaybrandon on Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:25 pm

Intangibles don’t do anything besides artificially raise and lower a players overall. They are used by roster makers to inflate or deflate a player so they are more inline with others. For example, because of poor defensive ratings, a guy like Trae Young may only max out at a 79. Intangibles allows them to boost him to an 85 to be more in sync with players of a similar skill level.

That’s been my understanding for years unless recent developments have changed that.
bluejaybrandon

Postby Vedreanu on Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:13 am

That what I've read at multiple places, but there's one thing I don't understand according to that version:

Why?

What is the point of "artificially" rasing the overal rating?
Vedreanu

Postby Vedreanu on Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:27 am

Also - what are the skills/attributes (badges?) that influence how players behave off-ball?
How much initiative they take to make themselves open, according to which pre-orders they move around the court when all plays are turned off etc...

My hunch is thats what intangibles are responsible for - but have to prove it yet... :|
Vedreanu

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:58 am

Vedreanu wrote:That what I've read at multiple places, but there's one thing I don't understand according to that version:

Why?

Appearances and accuracy in overall player value, basically. People put a lot of focus (too much, really) on Overall Ratings, to the point where there are very vocal complaints if a player is rated 84 Overall, and someone thinks they should be 85 or 86 Overall. It doesn't really affect how they play - the individual attributes are far more important - but it's a matter of perception. It also does matter somewhat in franchise modes, where a player's value factors into a CPU-controlled team's interest and willingness to accept trades involving specific players.

As noted, the Intangibles rating can be used to fudge the Overall so that it looks more accurate as far as a player's value and standing in the league, without having to fudge the individual ratings and mess up how players perform.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Vedreanu on Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:05 am

Andrew wrote:
Vedreanu wrote:That what I've read at multiple places, but there's one thing I don't understand according to that version:

Why?

Appearances and accuracy in overall player value, basically. People put a lot of focus (too much, really) on Overall Ratings, to the point where there are very vocal complaints if a player is rated 84 Overall, and someone thinks they should be 85 or 86 Overall. It doesn't really affect how they play - the individual attributes are far more important - but it's a matter of perception. It also does matter somewhat in franchise modes, where a player's value factors into a CPU-controlled team's interest and willingness to accept trades involving specific players.

As noted, the Intangibles rating can be used to fudge the Overall so that it looks more accurate as far as a player's value and standing in the league, without having to fudge the individual ratings and mess up how players perform.

Ok, but that sounds so basical. Why not calling it "overall modificator" instead? Or something else?
Intangibles is a term that is well know and used in sports world.

Dont take this the wrong way please, I appreciate your input, really - but why would something that's behaving totally not like intangibles be called that way?
----------------------

Anyways, maybe you are right after all, I am def open to all solutions.

But if you are right, then do you have an idea what would be the skill (or skills aka attributes) that determine how players behave off ball?
How proactive they are?

And also, very important - what sets the overall teams playing tempo? Like, Miami Heat's tempo is very slow and I have had hard time rasiing up to just above 90 possesions per game (by choosing SHOOT AT WILL).

I am still talking in terms of CPU vs CPU matches.
Vedreanu

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:16 pm

I imagine the fact that it is a common term when talking about the little things that make a player a valuable part of a team is why they chose it. It suits the purposes of a unspecified attribute. It's possible that it provides other boosts across the board as well, but the only noticeable effect that has been observed is to fudge the Overall Rating. It may or may not affect other things as well, but it definitely does that if nothing else.

It's possible that some things simply can't be changed, because they're part of the AI that we don't have access to. For example, at launch there was an issue where the CPU would needlessly trap and double team in the backcourt. There was nothing we could change as far as sliders, playbooks, or tendencies that fixed it, and Da_Czar confirmed that, noting that it was a coding issue that needed to be fixed (and thankfully was in the next patch that came out). It's worth our while to fiddle with everything, but once we've exhausted all possibilities, it does point to issues under the hood that we can't tinker with.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby vetmin on Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:29 am

Why?

Someone else mentioned contracts, but the amount of minutes that the CPU assigns players play each game is also influenced by Overall.
vetmin

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:28 pm

Ah yes, that too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K20