RIP David Stern

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

RIP David Stern

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:54 am

Former commissioner David Stern has passed away at the age of 77, after suffering a brain hemorrhage back in December.

Looking back, a lot of us NBA fans didn't appreciate David Stern as much as we should've. He had a tough gig in many ways, but he handled it superbly, and with dignity. Not every decision was one we liked or agreed with, some of his ideas were out there, and there were controversies. However, he cleaned up the league, and helped usher in its Golden Age. For fans my age, when we got into basketball and started following the NBA, he was the only commissioner we'd ever known until he retired in 2014. He left big shoes to fill.

Rest in peace, David Stern. Thank you for shaping the NBA into a league that made us smile, shout, pump our fists, and say "I love this game!".
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: RIP David Stern

Postby [Q] on Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:24 pm

Hmm, sad to see someone go, but I'll always remember him for the (possible?) fixing of the Patrick Ewing draft and the vetoed trade for "Basketball reasons"
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:37 am

Not a fan of all his decisions, but without him, the NBA would be totally different.

It will be pretty strange to see and hear him in association mode on old NBA2K.

phpBB [video]
sticky-fingers

Postby mp3 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:26 am

This was sad news, he's the commissioner I grew up watching while probably not understanding at the time how he make it a global game which is why as a 10 year old back in 1991 I was introduced to the game of basketball and the nba in the UK was no doubt down to David Stern's vision.

Thank you and R.I.P Commissioner Stern
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Return to NBA & Basketball