New head modelling tool - KeenTools Facebuilder

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K20 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

New head modelling tool - KeenTools Facebuilder

Postby DANet on Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:12 am

I don't post very often...and it's been a long time since I've created any mods...but I still visit the forum weekly to see what's going on :D

I wanted to mention a new Blender plugin that may have some use for the community...

The plugin is called KeenTools Facebuilder (currently free) and can be downloaded here:

https://www.keentools.io/download/facebuilder-for-blender

To see it in action you can watch here:

Promo video demonstrated using Nuke (not Blender)
phpBB [video]

Tutorial demonstrated using Blender
phpBB [video]

I envision this plugin could be used with a player portrait and/or profile photo to rough out the head shape on the KeenTools model. Then using the Blender Shrinkwrap modifier to wrap the NBA2K head model around the KeenTools model to apply the headshape to the game.

I can't really help or give any more information than I have provided above. I just thought I would let the community know about this tool...if the modders find it useful, then great...if not, that's OK too.

Keep up the great work everyone!
DANet

Re: New head modelling tool - KeenTools Facebuilder

Postby mithrxs on Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:22 am

thanks for the heads up. could be kinda useful.
mithrxs

Postby TGsoGood on Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:33 am

Looks cool
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Fest_ on Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:12 am

All we need is a tutorial on how to use this to make our own cyberfaces, the future is bright for new people to start making original cyberfaces/cyberfaces from scratch
Fest_

Postby bluejaybrandon on Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:22 am

Fest_ wrote:All we need is a tutorial on how to use this to make our own cyberfaces, the future is bright for new people to start making original cyberfaces/cyberfaces from scratch

I don’t mean to burst bubbles but I’m not sure this is all that helpful for what you’re suggesting. People have been looking for the easy way to make faces for years now. OP talks about shrinkwrapping the face but that hasn’t been an option in Blender. It will massively distort the face. Additionally this is currently just a tool for mapping. It has no practical purpose without further development and integration into blender (aka 2k importer/exporter). It’s a cool piece of tech for sure and may help with textures but sculpting the model is another beast entirely.

The best way to mod is still fundamentally what TG has shown in his videos. It reminds me of those news stories about a new cancer breakthrough. It’s neat in concept but we are still a ways off from a plug and play type program for creating cyberfaces. Headed in the right direction for sure though.
bluejaybrandon

Postby Fest_ on Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:18 pm

bluejaybrandon wrote:
Fest_ wrote:All we need is a tutorial on how to use this to make our own cyberfaces, the future is bright for new people to start making original cyberfaces/cyberfaces from scratch

I don’t mean to burst bubbles but I’m not sure this is all that helpful for what you’re suggesting. People have been looking for the easy way to make faces for years now. OP talks about shrinkwrapping the face but that hasn’t been an option in Blender. It will massively distort the face. Additionally this is currently just a tool for mapping. It has no practical purpose without further development and integration into blender (aka 2k importer/exporter). It’s a cool piece of tech for sure and may help with textures but sculpting the model is another beast entirely.

The best way to mod is still fundamentally what TG has shown in his videos. It reminds me of those news stories about a new cancer breakthrough. It’s neat in concept but we are still a ways off from a plug and play type program for creating cyberfaces. Headed in the right direction for sure though.

After a whole day of experimenting (my first time modding btw) i got this, no clue what model this is, because idk if im being dumb or not but this doesn't look exactly like the model i have in blender, i cant edit any textures too because it instantly crashes, it genuinely is possible, with trial and error though; but if my inexperienced self can do something like this without being 100% successful, im pretty sure someone who is very experienced in modding can.

Fest_

Postby TGsoGood on Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:50 pm

this is great. :applaud:
We can find an alternative way to add the texture by just going back to the 2K model, that will not be a worry.
Thanks for all this info. I have a feeling that we can also get the headshape even closer by creating temporary vertex groups to shrinkwrap (example create a vertex groups specifically for nose, lips,chin,jaw, brow,cheek, forehead, and upper head)

Edit:
This only works on Blender2.8 for those who want to know.
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods

TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby martoluthor on Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:10 am

Fest_ wrote:
bluejaybrandon wrote:

After a whole day of experimenting (my first time modding btw) i got this, no clue what model this is, because idk if im being dumb or not but this doesn't look exactly like the model i have in blender, i cant edit any textures too because it instantly crashes, it genuinely is possible, with trial and error though; but if my inexperienced self can do something like this without being 100% successful, im pretty sure someone who is very experienced in modding can.

[ Image ]

You can try with mine, i dont matter :mrgreen:
martoluthor

Postby bluejaybrandon on Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:14 am

Fest_ wrote:
bluejaybrandon wrote:

[ Image ]

So did you end up shrinkwrapping the face? My understanding was always that this process would seriously distort the features but perhaps my information is dated. I still do the original stuff the R4zoR did in 2k14. Can you explain the process of getting from Facebuilder to the 2k model exporter?
bluejaybrandon

Postby Jswavel34 on Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:51 am

I've been doing some trial and error with this today. I haven't found a solution but figured I'd share the steps I tried.

1. Create a head model using photos and the keentools facebuilder addon.
2. Save it as its own blender project.
3. Open a new blender project and import the .model file that I want to add the head model to.
4. In blender go to File, Append, navigate to the facebuilder blender project > Object > FaceBuilderHead, then click append. Resize head to be proportional to body.
5. Delete all the vertices associated with the original .model head and place the facebuilder head in place.
6. Export the completed model. It did successfully export with the 2K model exporter.
7. Replace the model into the desired pngXXXX.iff
8. Load up in game and .....

I also tried shrinkwrapping the facebuilder head around the original .model head and got a similar result.
Jswavel34

Postby mithrxs on Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:59 am

Jswavel34 wrote:I've been doing some trial and error with this today. I haven't found a solution but figured I'd share the steps I tried.

[ Image ]
3. Open a new blender project and import the .model file that I want to add the head model to.
4. In blender go to File, Append, navigate to the facebuilder blender project > Object > FaceBuilderHead, then click append. Resize head to be proportional to body.
[ Image ]
5. Delete all the vertices associated with the original .model head and place the facebuilder head in place.
6. Export the completed model. It did successfully export with the 2K model exporter.
[ Image ]
[ Image ]

I also tried shrinkwrapping the facebuilder head around the original .model head and got a similar result.

if I had to guess why its doing that, id say its because youre changing the skeleton of the model and the vertices in it.
mithrxs

Postby NBA 2K Legend on Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:21 pm

Guys, i found the program Uraniom that can import custom faces to games. This also supports NBA 2K16. I create my face in face builder and i imported the face in. Uraniom. I installed NBA 2K16 to my computer, but not the original one and i think because of that, Uraniom can't find NBA 2K16 in my computer. Does anyone have original NBA 2K16 that doesn't use anymore?

If i solve the problem, i will use cyberface converter to convert NBA 2K16 cyberface to NBA 2K20 cyberface.
NBA 2K Legend

Postby bluejaybrandon on Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:47 pm

NBA 2K Legend wrote:Guys, i found the program Uraniom that can import custom faces to games. This also supports NBA 2K16. I create my face in face builder and i imported the face in. Uraniom. I installed NBA 2K16 to my computer, but not the original one and i think because of that, Uraniom can't find NBA 2K16 in my computer. Does anyone have original NBA 2K16 that doesn't use anymore?

If i solve the problem, i will use cyberface converter to convert NBA 2K16 cyberface to NBA 2K20 cyberface.

It’s against the rules to upload original 2k files and also certainly this applies to the original 2k .exe’s
bluejaybrandon

Postby Jswavel34 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:19 am

NBA 2K Legend wrote:Guys, i found the program Uraniom that can import custom faces to games. This also supports NBA 2K16. I create my face in face builder and i imported the face in. Uraniom. I installed NBA 2K16 to my computer, but not the original one and i think because of that, Uraniom can't find NBA 2K16 in my computer. Does anyone have original NBA 2K16 that doesn't use anymore?

I'm attempting this also. This is what I've done so far.

Blender 2.8+
1. Create a head model using photos and the Keentools FaceBuilder add-on.
2. Create a UV: Butterfly texture in the FaceBuilder Addon menu. Click export, select image file format JPEG.
3. Click File > Export > Wavefront (obj.). This generates a .obj and a .mtl file.
4. Save the blender project.

Uraniom
5. Open Uraniom.
6. Click Games > Scroll to NBA 2K16 > Click + > Add new scan > Choose Files > Select all three files (.jpg, .obj., .mtl). Tick the box for "I agree to transfer my 3D image on the Platform Uraniom". Click "send".
7. Navigate through the avatar creator prompts in Uraniom.
8. Under Play click Install. You should get an “Installation Complete” message on right upper corner. This will add a pngXXXX.iff and a faceXXX.iff to the Modded folder in the 2k16 directory.

Follow Trevor’s Tutorials for 2K16 to 2K20 conversions
1. Part I - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC95AU5nQ-g
2. Part II - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm-g69i6--A
3. Part III - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-qfzvEN59c&t=1052s

I'm hitting a snag in Part III because the 2K Conversion Tool expects you to tick the box based on how many vertices there are in a standard 2K16 model (has to be either 15823 or 15824 verts). However my 2K16 model produced by Uraniom has 20,214 verts. So when I convert it using the tool and reload it into blender it is all jumbled up.
Jswavel34

Postby TGsoGood on Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:18 pm

Jswavel In your 1st attempt you showed us, you should try shrinking the original head instead of deleting vertices.

Or try shrinkwrapping original head to the new head

TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NOHLAN26 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:52 pm

Jswavel34 wrote:I've been doing some trial and error with this today. I haven't found a solution but figured I'd share the steps I tried.

[ Image ]
[ Image ]
[ Image ]
[ Image ]

bro can you give me nba2k importer exporter file
NOHLAN26

Postby NOHLAN26 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:53 pm

please can i have your nba2k exporter and importer for blender 2.80 or 2.81
NOHLAN26

Postby MattLawrence1998 on Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:35 am

you can use it in shrinkwrap tool
first make your model from that plugin and save it
then shrinkwrap it on player's model

not tried it but I think it would work
MattLawrence1998

Postby NBA 2K Legend on Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:45 am

I finally found the way how to put custom face to the player. Just use shrink-wrap tool. The only problem is that shrink-wrap little mess up the head, so you must fix it a little bit with sculpt tool. Then, you have to put your texture in face file, but it is very hard because you must use the face file of the player in the game. You must use Photoshop to create texture. I will create soon the tutorial how to do this.
Last edited by NBA 2K Legend on Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
NBA 2K Legend

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:55 am

Great work here! I am going to give the tool a try and experiment a little.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby bluejaybrandon on Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:56 am

NBA 2K Legend wrote:[ Image ]
[ Image ]
[ Image ]

I finally found the way how to put custom face to the player. Just use shrink-wrap tool. The only problem is that shrink-wrap little mess up the head, so you must fix it a little bit with sculpt tool. Then, you have to put your texture in face file, but it is very hard because you must use face file any player in the game. You must use Photoshop to create texture. I will create soon the tutorial how to do this.

The lack of neck seems like it would be a slight issue. But interesting progress nonetheless.
bluejaybrandon

Postby Jswavel34 on Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:37 am

Shrinkwrap is going to be the way to go. This is the general process I've had success with.

The biggest problem with the two meshes is that blender doesn’t really know what I want so modifiers like shrinkwrap basically just project or move to the nearest face/vertex. It doesn’t know what to do with the small details in the face. To account for that, I prepared the mesh for the shrinkwrap so that when I shrink-wrap it, it will wrap as I intended it to.

Basic Steps
1. Roughly align the reference FaceBuilder Head with the Base Player Head focusing on the alignment of the nose, mouth, and eyes especially.
2. Move the Headband, Eyes, & Mouth. Move everything out of the way.
3. Sculpt the Hihead base player mesh to match the reference FaceBuilder Head mesh. What the shrinkwrap modifier will do is just choose the closest face or vertex. For that reason it will look all jumbled up if they're not closely aligned. So we need to modify the mesh so that when the shrinkwrap tries to decide where to put the vertices on the object it picks the spot that we want.
4. Create a Vertex Group for the Shrink-wrap. There is a problem with just using blend_HeadShape for shrink-wrapping because the head I’m using as a reference ends way higher on the neck and the blend_headShape goes all the way to the collarbone. The vertices will just snap to the closest face or vertex and that’s going to be the bottom of the reference head and that is just going to splash up all the stuff below the neck to the collarbone up to those points. So instead I created a new vertex group for hihead model called "shrinkwrap" that ends at the very top of the neck.
5. Apply the Shrinkwrap.
6. Cleanup any artifacts.
7. Put Headband, Eyes, & Mouth Back in Place.

Jswavel34

Postby NBA 2K Legend on Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:19 am

phpBB [video]

This is the part 1 of the tutorial how to put your face in NBA 2K20 model using shrink-wrap. Use KeenTools Face Builder to create your custom head.
The part 2 will be how to create texture of your head and put it in your NBA 2K20 model.
I hope you will enjoy!
NBA 2K Legend

Postby TGsoGood on Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:05 pm

great new discoveries

TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby TGsoGood on Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:52 am

do you guys have any tips for the lips area?
I just start messing around with this method and I like it so far.

TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to NBA 2K20 Modding