NLSC Podcast #521: No NBA License? No Problem!

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: NLSC Podcast #304: Talkin' 'Bout Next Generation

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:52 am

The lack of focus on NBA content is pretty astonishing. It really does seem like a lot of the userbase has little interest in it, though.

From memory, we do touch on the idea of the PC getting another last gen port when next gen launches. Hopefully that's not the case, but then again, it depends what the next gen version is like.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:23 pm

I finished to listen the podcast this morning.

it's interesting that Dee's expectations about next gen are less about technology than accurate content while as you mention 2K used to add more and more content, even if inaccurate (faces, incomplete classic teams roster, playbooks, tendencies) i played last night a quick game for testing a floor, and All Time LeBron takes four 3pts in 2 minutes... So is it really fun to play this kind of game. Perhaps if you're a casual gamer, but for me it's not.
Even current players and teams playbooks and tendencies are messed up.

Hope someone at EA or at another studio listen you guys, and works on a NBA licence about NBA.

My only expectation about next gen and all this power would be a better AI, but i dont think 2K or EA would work on this point, online is their focus.

I dont think we'll see a real gap in term of graphics. Perhaps i'm wrong, but about the new big thing right now is ray tracing. Lighting is more natural with RT but imo it's not a big gap if you play at high res and full details.
Take the current GPU market, high end video card which support RT are very expensive, but its pretty hard to play at 4K with RT on most of the games. So i dont think that next gen console would be a revolution on this point.
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:34 pm

The single player experience definitely feels like it's being left behind, which is unfortunate. It's difficult to see that trend changing heading into the next direction.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:14 pm

The NLSC Podcast will be returning in 2020. Thanks for tuning in throughout 2019!

In the meantime, I invite you listen (or re-listen) to one of my favourite episodes this year; my interview with the voice of NBA Jam, Tim Kitzrow: https://www.nba-live.com/nlsc-podcast-280-tim-kitzrow/
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #305: Maintaining a Rapport in 280 Characters

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:52 pm

NLSC Podcast #305: Maintaining a Rapport in 280 Characters

Hosts: Andrew & Dee4Three

Episode #305 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! After a short break for the holiday season, Dee4Three and I are back on the air to tip off Season 9. Join us as we talk about David Stern, the community's relationship with developers, and frustrations with the NBA.

Our first episode of 2020 opens with a tribute to NBA Commissioner Emeritus David Stern, who passed away on New Year's Day. We discuss the impact he had on the league, and his legacy as its longest-tenured and best commissioner. Diving into this week's main discussion topic, we reflect on some recent Tweets that highlight the disconnect and sometimes contentious relationship the community has with developers. We also discuss 2K's reaction to criticism, and the increased frustration that has strained relations with the dev team. The show wraps up with some spirited thoughts on recent events in the NBA, from travelling to bizarre calls for rule changes.

Tune in here!

What are your thoughts on this week's topics? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Never miss an episode by subscribing to the NLSC Podcast on Apple Podcasts or Spotify! You can also find us on Stitcher.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bluejaybrandon on Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:39 am

Sorry, but this one will be a no from me. After Dee4Three claimed Lebron isn't even top 20 all-time, I refuse to listen to him and his opinions on the NBA. I'm not here to cause a fight or go back and forth, just stating my feedback in the location indicated. Good luck with the pod, Andrew.

On a related side note, I really think you should explore additional options with the patreon. I want to donate consistently but it really isn't utilized the way many others have incentivized patreon support. I think it would be good to revamp it and have some inticing tier rewards other than just general support. For example, a $3 tier could warrant an exclusive "supporters only thread" or a $5 tier could get you an exclusive NLSC supporter tag on your profile. Just a thought to bolster the incentives behind supporting the site. This doesn't really warrant a response because it's obviously your patreon to run as you wish, just wanted to start a discussion that may lead to more site support.
bluejaybrandon

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:07 am

We've been discussing how we can possibly add rewards and incentives to the Patreon and what they could be, so I appreciate the suggestions there. Definitely helpful feedback.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:17 am

bluejaybrandon wrote:Sorry, but this one will be a no from me. After Dee4Three claimed Lebron isn't even top 20 all-time, I refuse to listen to him and his opinions on the NBA. I'm not here to cause a fight or go back and forth, just stating my feedback in the location indicated. Good luck with the pod, Andrew.

On a related side note, I really think you should explore additional options with the patreon. I want to donate consistently but it really isn't utilized the way many others have incentivized patreon support. I think it would be good to revamp it and have some inticing tier rewards other than just general support. For example, a $3 tier could warrant an exclusive "supporters only thread" or a $5 tier could get you an exclusive NLSC supporter tag on your profile. Just a thought to bolster the incentives behind supporting the site. This doesn't really warrant a response because it's obviously your patreon to run as you wish, just wanted to start a discussion that may lead to more site support.

No worries! We have a lot of people who have been tuning in and enjoying the show over the last 6 to 7 weeks. Really great conversation about basketball gaming and the now NBA, and NBA history. It will never be for everybody, but it is certainly for a lot of people. Many value both Andrew and my points and views, and we appreciate that!

Fortunately, I have a lot of support on here and on Twitter and other social media platforms about my stances on the NBA, basketball and basketball gaming, and will be starting my own podcast soon.

For the others who will be listening, this was really a great show. Happy listening!
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:29 am

Certainly felt like a strong start to the year! Enjoyed opening the show with a Simpsons reference.

Although, we'll probably talk a little more about basketball video games, too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bluejaybrandon on Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:58 am

Andrew wrote:We've been discussing how we can possibly add rewards and incentives to the Patreon and what they could be, so I appreciate the suggestions there. Definitely helpful feedback.

Good to hear. Hopefully that brings in more revenue. I'm sure you've handled the financial side just fine on your own, but I would think a solid chunk of Patreon revenue can't hurt either.
bluejaybrandon

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:00 am

Absolutely. People have been quite generous with Patreon and other one-off donations to date, but if we can offer stuff like Forum perks, maybe a private Discord, stuff like that, it should be quite feasible and it'd be nice to be able to say thank you in that way.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:47 am

Speaking of, I just signed up! I've been meaning to do so, and it makes more sense than donating outside of Patreon.

I certainly use the site enough, and have used it a lot over the years.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby bluejaybrandon on Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:27 pm

Andrew wrote:Absolutely. People have been quite generous with Patreon and other one-off donations to date, but if we can offer stuff like Forum perks, maybe a private Discord, stuff like that, it should be quite feasible and it'd be nice to be able to say thank you in that way.

I'm excited to see what you have in store. If you do decide to add some perks, please advertise it on the forums. I'd happily continue to be a Patreon supporter but compared to some others I support on Patreon with more diverse rewards and tiers, I can't justify the monthly amount I was giving.
bluejaybrandon

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:47 pm

After listening recent podcasts, both of you have big expectations about EA and the next gen, and hope about 2K.

but i think, this video resumes perfectly the situation :

phpBB [video]
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:03 pm

I have actually seen that video. A lot of great points, unfortunately for the future of AAA gaming.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:35 pm

So we really need a third contender for Basketball, some kind of Tennis Elbow as mentionned in a recent pocdast.
sticky-fingers

Re: NLSC Podcast #306: Full Steam Ahead for Basketball Classics

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:25 pm

NLSC Podcast #306: Full Steam Ahead for Basketball Classics

Hosts: Andrew, Arcane, & Dee4Three
Special Guests: Josh & Dave from Namo Gamo

Episode #306 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! It's an episode of returns as Arcane joins the show for the first time since August last year, and Josh and Dave from Namo Gamo are our guests for the second time. Dee4Three is also along for the ride as we talk about Basketball Classics, retro gaming, and the NBA.

Version 1.0 of Basketball Classics launched on Steam last year, so we're glad to welcome Josh and Dave from Namo Gamo back to the show! We chat about the journey from Early Access to full launch, and how the game has grown since it first became available to the public. The game will be supported for some time to come, as the guys have some great plans for future updates, and are also looking at feedback from the community. To that end, we even managed to workshop a few ideas while we were recording! We also compare indie and AAA gaming, reminisce about old favourites, and talk a little about the real NBA.

Tune in here!

What are your thoughts on Basketball Classics and indie gaming? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Never miss an episode by subscribing to the NLSC Podcast on Apple Podcasts or Spotify! You can also find us on Stitcher.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #307: The Joy of Roster Modding

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:07 pm

NLSC Podcast #307: The Joy of Roster Modding

Hosts: Andrew & Dee4Three

Episode #307 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! This week, Dee4Three and I are discussing roster mods, from how they're made to why they're so satisfying to create and play with.

Our NBA 2K21 Wishlist thread is now open in the Forum, so before we dive into our main discussion topic, we encourage everyone to get involved! We also encourage everyone to feel free to talk about gameplay and gaming experiences in general. With that business out of the way, we turn our attention to an activity we've greatly enjoyed over the years: roster modding. The discussion begins with a look at the breadth and appeal of roster mods, and the creative process behind them. Along the way, we discuss the tools and techniques that are used in their creation, the importance of certain changes over the years, and some significant roster mods. From creating them to playing with them, we discuss why roster mods are so fun and important to basketball gaming, and offer up a few tips for people who want to get involved with roster modding.

Tune in here!

What are your thoughts on roster mods, as a creator, user, or both? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:51 pm

As usual, i'm around the half of the podcast.

I've posted my wishlist for 2K21 yersterday, i did it, but my expectations about being listened are very low.

I want to thanx Dee for the mentions. His mod for 2K17 was really a game changer to me, as long as 2K17 was some kind of a downgrade but with UCTR roster, i finally felt the game enjoyable.
And i'm really glad he enjoy and use the scoreboards, it's kind of my retribution to him.

What's i expect from mods : more accuracy, more deep, more content, more fun than vanilla release.
Thats why i've started to learn how to make a scoreboard. I wanted to make the 99-02 NBC and 1991 NBC.

BTW (at this point of my listening), it seems that you forgot to mention looyh and ksmiz in the podcast ! the modding community on current gen needs them.
Looyh's Hook is an amazing tool that can make UBR possible on current gen. and IMO, this guy has the best knownledge and understanding of the game files.
ksmiz is a master in CE editing, years after years.
But without Bongo's tutorials and help, I wouldn't have been able to do anything. So, i try to always put in the credits those big guys.

On old gen, about 2K10 and 2K11, i think the authors of 91-92 mod were Aloncho11 and Juan33. Aloncho11 changes his nickname here and isnt active anymore, but i sent him a thanx on OS and he answered kindly.

The tools i use for modding scoreboards and courts are mostly the same than Dee.
Paint.Net for graphics stuff, with a lot of plugins. Recently, I also started to use Inkscape, mainly to reproduce logos and/or export svg to png.
Blender for 3D edit for scoreboard and CF (i try...)
Other tools, 7-zip to manipulate iff files, HxD for hexedit, notepad++ for files edit, limnono and cheat Engine for own tweaking.

About the main subject of the podcast, Dee explained very well what he did and how.
that's also why I haven't had the courage to make my own roster, I understand and respect the work behind the scene, so i wouldnt want to make something average.
And the lack of an offline editor is also not encouraging.
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:24 am

Glad you enjoyed the podcast! And thanks for the kind words.

Yes, we use your scoreboards all the time, its adds so much to the authenticity and immersion. I appreciate you taking those projects on, because like I said, I don't know how to hex edit, and we only have a few people in the community who know how (wish we could get 2K16 figured out!)

Thanks for the names of the creators of those 2K10 rosters. I couldn't remember, but I use those rosters often, and they are very well done.

And yes, Ksmiz has actually been amazing for the community over the last couple years, his cheat tables have been game changing. Looyh has made really great scoreboards and the hook tool has helped A LOT of people(I dont know how he programmed that, but its great)

Doing this podcast with Andrew made me want to work on my 2K16 roster more, but my CPU is having some issues at the moment. Considering getting a new one.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:14 am

Dee4Three wrote:Doing this podcast with Andrew made me want to work on my 2K16 roster more, but my CPU is having some issues at the moment. Considering getting a new one.

I've finished to listen the podcast this morning, i heard about your computer, it's tough.
Hope you had backups for your mods, your WIP and more importantly for your personal datas. If you're looking for 2K stuff you loose, just send me a PM.

You both mention backups during the show. in that regard a reminder for all : a real backup is on another support (not the same hardrive), preferably outside of your house.
I have a NAS (raid 1) to save my main stuff in live at home. But also each week, the NAS makes a backup on a private cloud encrypted era. It costs me 70€/year but I'm willing to pay not to lose some memories I could't recreate.
For my secondaries stuff like mods, i use old external hdd and also public cloud (mega/mediafire).
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:01 am

No doubt. The safer and securer your backups in general, the better. For modding projects, especially rosters, backups at different points can really help avoid losing a lot of work and having to scrap a project.

Thanks for listening!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:12 am

Absolutely.

Luckily, I found that I backed up all my 2K17 mods/rosters, and was also able to backup my 2K16 work as well. All the backups are on a completely healthy hard drive.

I just have to decide if I want to fix this CPU or get a new one. This one is about 3 years old, with most of the components outside of the graphics card also being about that age. It runs all the 2Ks maxed out, but I am thinking of getting a slightly better CPU that will be more "future proof", especially with next gen right around the corner.

However, would anybody be surprised if 2K did what they did when 2K14 was released? Having 2K21 on the PC be PS4 graphics and gameplay instead of PS5?

Either way, I'll get the PC version as always.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:36 am

I'm guessing that'll be the case, that it'll be a prior gen port.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:02 pm

I hope you're wrong guys, but i think you're right unfortunately.
sticky-fingers

PreviousNext

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard