2019-2020 Season Daily Discussion

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: 2019-2020 Season Daily Discussion

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:27 am

Back in the day, we complained it was unrealistic when players did 360 dunks in traffic in video games. Now Aaron Gordon just goes ahead and does it.

phpBB [video]

That being said, we did have a point about dunks in old video games, but this was cool.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:57 am

Sorry but I just came along a reddit thread and okay I know we've all been watching a lot of NBA games BUT TELL ME IM NOT FUCKING CRAZY. These people think HS basketball or college basketball is better than the NBA because 1 travel call was missed. Are missed travel calls that prevalent to think that COLLEGE BASKETBALL is better than the NBA?????????? I know we have a few missed calls every game but to think that?? I think thats bullshit but idk. Thoughts?
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby [Q] on Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:15 am

Refs miss shit all the time at every level, and they do make up calls. It's hard to say if it's more or less in the NBA due to the speed of the game but at lower levels you do have more inexperienced refs

It just so happens that when it's done on the NBA it's on the biggest stage of them all so everyone knows about it.

Also, fuck the Jazz announcers for getting pissed at all the Lakers jerseys in the crowd and at LeBron for signing his shoes and giving them to kids during the game. It's not his fault people like him and his team more than yours.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jeffx on Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:58 am

Kevin wrote:Sorry but I just came along a reddit thread and okay I know we've all been watching a lot of NBA games BUT TELL ME IM NOT FUCKING CRAZY. These people think HS basketball or college basketball is better than the NBA because 1 travel call was missed. Are missed travel calls that prevalent to think that COLLEGE BASKETBALL is better than the NBA?????????? I know we have a few missed calls every game but to think that?? I think thats bullshit but idk. Thoughts?

They're the same morons who think college basketball is more "pure" than the NBA or college guys play for the "love of the game" while the NBA cats do it "strictly for the money". Of course those buttwipes fail to mention that the college kids aren't getting a slice of the millions March Madness generates.

Been hearing this BS on social media for years...
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:32 pm

I tend to think they're the same kind of people who automatically hate anything that's "too mainstream", and frequently throw around terms like "sheep", "sheeple", and "dumb masses". It's fine if you prefer one thing over another, and being "mainstream" or "underground" isn't automatically a universal indication of quality either way, but for those people it's more about being a contrarian and patting themselves on the back for what they purportedly like, rather than simply liking what they like. I say purportedly because if your fandom and enjoyment relies on something maintaining a certain level of popularity and/or obscurity to be fashionable, I'd argue that you're never a true fan of anything, except perhaps a vague concept of pseudo-intellectual superiority.

Alright, got a little sidetracked there. In short, I agree. I also think anyone who prefers college ball because it's more pure or "cleaner" than the pros is kidding themselves about what goes on behind closed doors to get players to commit to schools, qualify for schools, and stay in schools once they're there. Blue Chips may not have been based on any scandal in particular, but its premise wasn't entirely fictional.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:06 pm

Those are same idiots who would bash modern NBA ball games for no real reason.

NBA ball is popular than ever before and is mainstream in all countries. NBA is well and alive and going strong. Post-Jordan era was a mess and the league panicked trying to find another Jordan. Pre-Jordan era wasn't a better league but Magic/Bird carried era. Wilt's era was a struggle to get people to notice that basketball exists.

In reality, it's best not to deal with idiots. You prolly know one of ur idiot friends who would keep spitting stupid shits like 'this movie sux', 'movies used to be better', 'gay movie' when watching a movie. You prolly heard of ex war old veterans saying 'today's gen soldiers have it ez', 'young gen are stupid and weak', 'young ppl know nothing'.

Dialogue with those people are impossible.

NBA today is just doing fine. Many mature fans adapted. New fans are many. Just don't take seriously those who wouldn't stop crying like 9 yr old kid. They ruin it for everyone else. They think they better than rest of the bball fans and nba is stupid, then go fucking watch college ball and stfu now, thanks.

Anyways, here was an insanely bizarre game. That dunk by Harden was lol. how did everyone miss it.
phpBB [video]
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:35 pm

The Rockets are filing a protest over the mix-up on that dunk that didn't actually miss. Fair enough I guess, but they were up double digits at that point. There are a lot more factors that went into that loss than one basket that didn't count that should've.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:16 am

Biizarre game indeed

Caught 2nd half of suns pels

Both teams with second chance type players doing well.

Pels had a great comeback. Thought Ingram was going to close it out. Booker was going bonkers even with Jrue playing all world defense on him. Jrue had some stops to his credit

Both teams are a good watch
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Lamrock on Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:36 am

Seems like the LA teams, Houston, Denver, Dallas and Utah are all pretty good bets to make the playoffs in the West, but who do you guys think takes the last two spots? Currently it's the Timberwolves and the Suns there, like we all expected. I think the Wolves barely hold on thanks to Wiggins' resurgence and Towns putting up MVP numbers, but I expect the Suns' to keep plummeting back down to Earth and for Portland to get in.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:27 am

Yeah, I could see that happening. Perhaps the Spurs will go on a run and sneak into the Top 8 by the end of the year; that'd be my other pick.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:49 pm

lol Chris Paul points out Jordan Bell's untucked jersey at the end of regulation of a 2 point game with 1 second left, earns his team a technical free throw. They tie it at the buzzer with a layup and win it in overtime.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:00 pm

Savvy veteran play. Of course this means that next season, instant replay and coach challenges will expand to include untucked jerseys.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:36 pm

Ben Simmons finally hits a three!

Doncic's continues to play fucking crazy. But just as Harden, he'll have a tough crowd to convince for the MVP discussion as the both Mavs and Rockets are a second tier contenders for the season. Looking at the Bucks' dominance, Giannis seems to be a real safe bet to win it again this year.

Lamrock wrote:Seems like the LA teams, Houston, Denver, Dallas and Utah are all pretty good bets to make the playoffs in the West, but who do you guys think takes the last two spots? Currently it's the Timberwolves and the Suns there, like we all expected. I think the Wolves barely hold on thanks to Wiggins' resurgence and Towns putting up MVP numbers, but I expect the Suns' to keep plummeting back down to Earth and for Portland to get in.

Indeed the battle for last 2 spots will be entertaining. No team's safe but I agree the Wolves are probably the safest bet with Wiggin's long waited emergence and Kats' superstar like season. And I also agree the Suns are the team that is most likely to falter out.

The Blazers dearly miss Aminu. A shit player like Hood just can't replace him and there's just no good wing man for the Blazers in small ball era. But Lillard is still a very nice player and is only 29 years old. With Nurkic back later in the season, they might just have enough to push for that one of last two spots. The Spurs are fighting hard but this is still a team led by DeRozan and aging Aldridge. As for the Thunder, they might not be interested to make the playoffs but if CP3 wanted to, it's quite possible. It's just an issue of motivation for them imho.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby [Q] on Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:04 pm

Everyone talks Giannis, Luka, Harden, Lebron in MVP talks but Anthony Davis should definitely be in the conversation as well. Already a Defensive player of the year candidate, he just goes out and scoes 40 or 50 like it's nothing
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kevin on Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:06 pm

LeBron and AD are both Lakers. LMFAO still can't believe. I've been clowned for being a Lakers fan for too long I'm ecstatic.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby [Q] on Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:21 pm

Westbrook says "Game Over" after a layup with 1 second left. Kings call timeout and Bjelica hits a deep 3 for the win lol

in the postgame interview he says "fuck it, we deserve this win" haha
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:30 pm

Derrick Rose with 17 fourth quarter points and the gamewinner. He was open to a return to Chicago this past offseason, too. Would've been nice.

Still, it's good to see him healthy and having an impact. That 50-point game last year was awesome to see.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bowdown on Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:45 am

I just want a Lakers vs Bucks final. Would be so much fun. Anything else would feel like a letdown. But ofcourse those teams have to earn their spot in the finals.
bowdown

Postby [Q] on Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:18 pm

[Q] wrote:Westbrook says "Game Over" after a layup with 1 second left. Kings call timeout and Bjelica hits a deep 3 for the win lol

Jimmy Butler clowns Trey Young on Instagram after Young declares "It's over" after going up 6 with a minute left. Butler ties it with a 3 and blows them out in OT lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:13 am

Kevin wrote:I've been clowned for being a Lakers fan for too long

and you will continue to be. yeah all that long suffering of what... a few years and you get lebron then AD in successive offseasons

the hawks pulled a bulls against the heat. deandre hunter was going bonkers but air balls a 3 in crunchtime. Butler hits a hero 3 and Miami proceeds to destroy the hawks in OT.

BAM should be an all star
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby NovU on Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:58 pm

Bucks can't lose. How do they match up versus the Lakers? The series will be a gold if it ever happens.

Harden makes 50+ pts game look so easy.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby [Q] on Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:38 pm

The Lakers' size inside would make Giannis's life and scoring inside very difficult. The Lakers are beatable though. Force them into mistakes and capitalize on the other end. They've been in a lot of close ones this year but the greatness of AD and Lebron in crunch time have allowed them to sneak in a couple of close victories
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:23 pm

24 to 28 games into the season, western conference 7th 8th seeding wars are really intriguing. CP3's Thunder and Kings are in it for now while Wolves, Suns, Blazers, and Spurs are trying to steal their spots. 6 team wars, and this is definitely a fun one to follow for us fans.

Definitely different looking league from last year and past decade for sure.

More interesting facts:
- The Heat are second in the East!!! This is surprising when you consider how good some of the players are in eastern contenders. The Heat are playing great team ball with Butler as all around best player.
- Luka Doncic's Mavericks are 3rd in WEST!!! Last season, the Mavs were 14th in West. Consider this, the 20 year old not only improved but is schooling best players in the world in the biggest league.
- Charley Barkley was right. The Warriors are not making the playoffs. The best team in the league to the worst team. LoL. only god knows where their bandwagoners has gone hiding.

BLAZERS problem
So the Blazers are having a very disappointing season after making a WCF. And even with Hassan Whiteside averaging career high numbers in points with pretty solid number all across, why are they still struggling. I think his ppg kinda gives us hints why the Blazers struggle especially as the one of the worst teams in league in assisted made goals.

Lillard's a prolific P&R player evidenced by numbers throughout the years. But Whiteside is just a terrible player to pass to. He has one of the lowest bball IQ in the league and doesn't know what to do when he's supposed to take advantage of 4 on 3 chance created from P&R, so most of Lillard's p&r with Hassan end up being Hassan taking shots hence the reasons for his career high in ppg while the Blazers' offense suffer as a team. Good grief. Whiteside has career average of below 0.6 assist per game. This is only good if you want your pass to get you an assist stat but team offense halts there and become monotonous.

Also the fact that Lillard's not as good as Harden in calculating when to pass out of double team, adds to the problem. Harden reads the double team coming very well and pass out of situation to create 4 on 3 basketball very well. And the Rockets offense is designed so that Capela is not the one that gets the pass. This is why Rockets offense is so fluent and belonged to top tier offense in league for so many years. Meanwhile Lillard's pass usually end up with Hassan and Lillard is not as good in dealing with double teams.

Whiteside is a blackhole and this is why the Heat don't really miss him. Any other takes on the Blazers and their current situation?
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby bowdown on Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:33 am

Whiteside's screens dont really free up Lillard or CJ very much either. A good screener can make huge difference which Portland had past few seasons.

Their bench is also very inexperienced and not contributing much at all.
bowdown

Postby [Q] on Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:27 am

They went from Aminu, Harkless, Hood as main contributors to Melo, Bazemore & Hezonja (lol), Tolliver (another lol), and Simons (who actually isn't that bad, but still young and not really ready for the big time)

I hope they're able to trade for a good pf at the deadline like Love, Randle, or Aldridge
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball