Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:07 pm

Yeah, it really should just be Hogan, Hall, and Nash. If X-Pac is on the list, then there are a few others who should be going in with them as well. That being said, there's no reason not to just make it the original three, outside of doing X-Pac a favour.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:07 am

Absolutely no reason it should be anybody other than the original 3. They were the nWo. I'd put Eric Bischoff in with them before Syxx. X-Pac got in with DX, which was more than enough for him.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:25 am

I'm not opposed to X-Pac being included, but their reasoning was a little off. Bischoff should be involved somehow whether doing a speech or included with the group. I think big show was the fifth member so I wouldn't be opposed to him being in either.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:51 am

Ted Dibiase was also bankrolling the group in kayfabe, so technically he could be inducted as well. I agree that Bischoff should be there.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:37 am

I guess it all makes sense if you are looking at the WWE version of nWo but who knows

I think it's a good idea to have regular Bray go tonight vs the Miz instead of The Fiend smashing Bryan again. The monster push for the Fiend has turned an interesting character into a predictable one
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:32 am

As I've said before, Bray Wyatt's characters are great concepts, but lack compelling story arcs. This is something a bit different, appearing as himself rather than The Fiend, but it's still a bit convoluted overall.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:18 am

Andrew I know you would appreciate this

phpBB [video]
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:10 am

I've been waiting for that episode to drop since I saw Tim was on Watch Along last year. Going to have to set aside some time to catch that!

Meanwhile, would it would surprise anyone if Brock somehow won the Rumble, eliminating all 29 other Superstars (or at the very least, setting a new record)?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:17 pm

Lol 29 eliminations would not surprise me. I actually hadn't thought of that until now. I thought there was a slight chance Cain or Roman or someone eliminates him at the end to set up a feud
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:24 pm

Putting all paranoia aside, that's probably more likely. It's still going to make a lot of the roster look like dorks, but that's nothing new as far as WWE's booking is concerned. I just can't shake the feeling they might actually dare to go there.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:36 am

With Brock as champ, the winner will most likely go for the Universal title at Mania (Which is still the case if Brock wins). I shudder at the thought of Brock as double champ.

With that being said, I'd like to see Nakamura or Cesaro win the rumble and title, but that's not happening so maybe they're going to feed us Roman again. I would also like to see Drew McIntyre win too
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:24 am

Honestly though, I don't think things are much better with The Fiend as the champ on Smackdown. I feel like it's going to be a shaky build to Wrestlemania this year. The Lana/Rusev/Lashley angle has gone on way too long as well, and Rusev keeps losing the matches, so what's the point and payoff?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:02 am

The Rusev story has gone too long, but it was resuscitated by what most people found as a surprisingly good wedding. A lot of good reviews came from it while I found it slightly predictable (c'mon man, the giant cake!?) But it was entertaining and the Liv cameo was a surprise

Maybe they're going to stretch it out for a WrestleMania match if it gains enough of a following?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:14 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about Liv Morgan's involvement. On one hand, she's getting to do something on TV. On the other hand, it feels like a waste after those vignettes, a couple of which hinted at something more dark and sinister, rather than typical Heyman Sleaze™.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:22 pm

I was also hoping for something a bit more, but the surprise angle was interesting enough. I wish they had taken it further. Or maybe the feud will end up with Lana leaving Bobby to be with Liv and make a new tag team in the women's division and bobby teams up with Rusev lmao
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:20 am

I have been avoiding all major spoilers for the rumble so far although Edge rumors from months ago still seem to point to him being there.

I was looking at betting odds and some interesting names popped up like Tyso Fury who I think they may use for a Brock feud and Ronda Rousey who might make her return alongside her friend Shayna Bazsler. Would be cool for them to set up a 4 on 4 horsewomen match at Mania or even the ppv before it to hype a Mania main event (Rousey wins rumble to get revenge on Becky?)
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:24 am

How close is Caín Velasquez to being cleared? If he's good to go, I could see him entering and eliminating Brock at least.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:25 pm

I think he's healthy as he's had some time off. He wasn't healthy during his initial run
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:37 pm

Wasn't he undergoing surgery? If so he might not be fully rehabbed yet.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:52 am

So, I was actually pretty surprised that I enjoyed the men's rumble more than the women's. I thought our fears had come true when Brock dominated at the beginning like we thought he would. Skipped through most of that part. Was pleasantly surprised that he got eliminated. Nice to see Edge get the pyro. You could see him really protect his neck at one point I think on the Deep Six. Nice to see Drew McIntyre get the win like I was hoping but also the elimination on Brock and Corbin the two biggest heels.

And then the women's match we had the real Brock come in and dominate and win. Charlotte winning was a bit of a disappointment but not a surprise. Especially since there wasn't a whole lot of main roster talent there. Was cool to see Bianca get a nice run. Beth worked a long time lasting most of the match and working with a bad cut on the head. It seemed like the match was lacking in bigger stars, but it was cool to see some of the NXT women get some time in there.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:26 pm

Bit late on this, but I thought the Rumble was a really solid event. I'll freely admit they worked me with Lesnar. For a while there, I honestly thought they were going to have him destroy the entire roster and kill the whole division in the process. I'm still not thrilled at some of the guys who were sacrificed in the first half of the Rumble - I might've liked it more if I wasn't utterly bored of the Final Boss Lesnar Destroys Everyone story, now in its sixth season with copy and paste scripts - but it did make it a "moment" when McIntyre literally booted him out of there. So credit to that for getting me invested in an odd meta way, but yeah, I'm tired of Brock and want him out of the title picture for the foreseeable future. I'm not counting on it, though surely Drew goes over at Wrestlemania.

As for other angles, Reigns vs Corbin needs to end. It's about as appetising as a can of dog food. The Rusev/Lana/Lashley angle ultimately went nowhere. Rusev got humiliated week after week, kind of got his own back at the wedding, and has lost every match he's had with Lashley. Miserable and depressing. They're doing a much better job with Otis/Mandy/Ziggler, though I'm sure that one's going to culminate on a miserable note as well. Balancing catharsis and pathos isn't WWE's strong suit these days. Liv Morgan's reboot amounts to going back to being blonde and not having a blue tongue. People wanted her to join up with Bray Wyatt and be Sister Abigail, which I don't think they needed to do, but they could've done something more interesting than this.

Charlotte challenging for the NXT title is something different, and promotes the idea that NXT is a third brand, not just developmental. I can see that one going both ways. Obviously Charlotte has been pegged to win a lot of titles and garner other accomplishments, so it wouldn't surprise me if she wins and makes history in the process. At the same time, they're clearly high on Rhea Ripley, and a win over Charlotte at Wrestlemania would be huge. I think Rhea should go over, but all things considered, my gut feeling is that Charlotte will.

There's talk of AJ Styles vs Undertaker at Wrestlemania. That could've been a great match, once. In his interview with Stone Cold, Taker mentioned wanting to have that good finale, that one last great match he feels good about leaving on. Aside from the money, that does explain why he's still wrestling when it's fair to say that it's time to hang up the boots. I get wanting to leave on a high note though, and if anyone can squeeze one last watchable match out of Taker, AJ would be one of the few. If it happens, I hope it's a solid match, and one that Taker feels comfortable with calling his last. Then he can finally go into the Hall of Fame next year. At least, that's what I'd prefer. Again, it's not something I'm counting on.

Can't imagine they're not going with Becky/Shayna at Wrestlemania. People were freaking out about her main roster debut, saying they were portraying her as a vampire. Jerry Lawler's line probably didn't help, but that was never my thought. I mean, it's an obvious thing to say when someone bites someone else's neck, but I think it was pretty clear the intention was to portray her as violent, dangerous, and unhinged, not an actual vampire (or even someone who just thinks she's a vampire). The amount of blood was a bit over the top, but it was a memorable segment and made her look even more dangerous. Considering how we're often wringing our hands at PG content in WWE and want to see more of an edge to the programming, I think it's welcome.

Speaking of Edge, what a huge reaction at the Rumble! Awesome to see. Apparently he's got a Lesnar-like deal and will be wrestling here and there, with an eye to being around for a little while. Hopefully everything does go OK, but he looks to be in great shape and health, and it'll be enjoyable to see him end his career on his own terms.

Finally, if Asuka is going to be a singles competitor more than the tag titles are defended, put the belts back on The IIconics and give them a proper run. Apparently they're going to be repackaged, which seems like a dumb idea as their character work is great, and there are solid in the ring when they actually get a chance to work (again, their matches on the indies demonstrate this). It remains to be seen what happens there.

Oh, and I'm going to another Newy Pro show tonight. It's the finals of the Invictus tournament and the card is stacked with local talent, so it should be awesome. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:02 am

Man they could have done something great with Liv returning as the "other woman" at the wedding but they squandered it and did nothing with it other than a few blow off matches and mixed tag matches

Now it seems she'll just be jobbing for the returning Ruby riott
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:04 am

It was nothing but shock value. Paul Heyman's creative abilities are wildly overrated. He's had brilliant ideas, but terrible ones as well. Kind of like Vince McMahon, in that regard. Go figure.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:41 pm

I am happy that they aren't making Zelina romantically involved with anyone and making her a brilliant strategic character. Wish that she would wrestle more though. Kinda like how they kept AJ Lee in non-wrestling roles for a while as a manager and GM
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:57 pm

She's great as a manager, though it's unfortunate that it restricts her from in-ring action. At least it gets her on TV and gives her a role to play, so she's not suffering the same fate as others on the stacked roster.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic