Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:46 pm

That's easily the best redesign in years. Sure, that's not a high bar, but it's still a nice design.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:51 pm

People saying that they did this to "destroy Cody's legacy." :lol:
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:08 pm

Welp, I got to subscribe anew with the Network, but with a new account. :|
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:33 am

That's a bit of a reach on their part, then. It's not like he innovated the design or anything, and the strap (if not the plate itself) has changed a couple of times over the years.

Also, just to back up a bit, Rhea Ripley is indeed awesome. The win on Smackdown basically guarantees she's not going over with her team at Survivor Series, but that was still a big win for her to get, especially pinning Charlotte. Very cool spot that showed ring smarts, and that's what WWE matches need more of, from faces and heels alike. Not that they never have savvy spots, but they're usually not that clever.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:39 am

I do like the new belt and I think it was overdue. That design has been around for longer then I thought and perhaps it'll open the door for a white strap on a women's version
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:37 am

That new IC design looks great.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:05 pm

Takeover was again a great show yesterday, and I think the only "bad" match where I thought I could have a break was Bálor vs Riddle. Both Wargames matches were great, too. And thatKevin Owens pop!

I have to catch Survivor Series later again because the Network signed me out and I got stuck on the sign-in page on a loop, while the mobile app didn't want to play anything (it worked out fine with no hiccups when I watched Takeover on-demand).
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:19 am

Takeover was pretty good overall. It was weird to have the women's wargames match cut down but made for an interesting story moving forward. I don't like how there's just so much time before the actual match starts. I actually skipped some of that for the men's match. Raelly thought Gargano was going to be the mystery partner so I was genuinely surprised.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:21 pm

Yeah, that rule is pretty much a way to pad out the gimmick of the match. If it was me, the match starts once there are two people from opposing teams inside the cages. Both avoiding being pinned or submitted by the other.

Watched Survivor Series minus the kickoff show yesterday night, and I thought it was a good show. Maybe the main event is a bit underwhelming. The show should have ended with the rest of the NXT roster joining Shayna in the ring, and notBecky beating her up to "send the crowd home happy." Honestly, I'd like to see someone win over Becky for the championship that's not Charlotte.

Match of the PPV was definitely Cole vs Dunne, but I thought it was shorter than a usual NXT Championship match. The men's Survivor Series match was also good, minus the bickering among Corbin and Reigns which felt corny. Keith Lee definitely got the rub there.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:39 pm

They missed a great opportunity to have Rey win the title there, in a way that wouldn't make Lesnar look weak. Instead, the story of Lesnar vs Rey and his family ends on the depressing note of Lesnar overcoming the two of them in a no holds barred match, and keeping the title. The product is beyond stale with him as champion. It's astonishing they don't see it, but maybe a further decline in the ratings and more success for AEW will be a wake-up call. We can only hope; it worked back in 1996 when WCW caught fire, after all.

Rhea Ripley is being prepared for bigger things, and I'm all for it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:49 pm

Yeah, a huge push for Ripley at the ppv

I thought after the double 619 it was over but nope lol. Especially with them going to Mexico soon.
I don't think they care how shitty the show is with Brock as Champion. They've stuck the real title the US title on AJ the real champion for a while now. I thought Drew McIntyre would have been a good new champion but Looks like they put it on Rey for the Mexico trip.

Best match for me was AJ shin and Strong match, despite the subpar ending
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:06 pm

Looking like a heel turn for Seth too, leaning into the negative reactions. Imagine that!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:23 am

A little surprising but at least they're open to it unlike with Roman

Great way to elevate KO
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:51 pm

Forgot to mention hearing Saxton as a lead man on commentary... He was actually pretty good. Especially with that fucking asshole Graves not trying to undermine and embarrass him every chance he gets. Graves is reminding me much of HHH in the late 90s playing the politic game, trying to gain power backstage and then once getting to a power position, uses it to elevate himself and keep others down. I guess he feels like he has a lot of making up to do due to his lack of in ring success

King actually has been pretty good on commentary, reminding me of the old days when he was pretty good next to Vince and JR
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:39 pm

Graves has also been bullying Mauro, beginning with a passive-aggressive Tweet about the latter's performance and commentating style. Talk about glass houses: not only has Graves become one of the worst announcers on WWE TV and in no position to point fingers, but he should know how toxic the Internet mob can be from when his ex-wife's post riled up fans to go after him and Carmella with an accusatory post. No empathy whatsoever, to say nothing of how Graves has talked about his own mental health issues. Vince is calling the shots though, so little will change, especially after his non-apology on the official WWE podcast.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:28 pm

Mauro wasn't on NXT yesterday, too. Hopefully, things get better for him. WWE seems to be pretty high on Graves which is a shame after what he said on Twitter. He should know of Mauro's condition and should've just told him personally at some point, without sounding like an arrogant asshole. Graves' non-apology apology in his podcast sounded more like he said it so that people stop hounding him.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:12 pm

It's telling that despite his mental health issues, the situation has never been this bad until he got to WWE. From what more than a couple of people have said, there's a lot of ingrained toxicity in the culture.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:02 pm

Finally had the chance to watch Showtime's documentary on Mauro, it's a very good watch:

phpBB [video]

It's been reported by Dave Meltzer that Mauro would be back on NXT tomorrow.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:46 pm

Angel Garza has been a treat to watch. Really cool character and different from the others. Great in ring work. Now he's rewarded with the Cruiserweight Championship. It's funny how good wrestlers start out as slimey or creepy heels but become fan favorites over time. Velveteen Dream also comes to mind
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:41 pm

Many of the all-time great faces had to start out as heels, or turn heel, in order to become the fan favourites we remember them as. It's easier to get over as a heel, after all.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:59 am

For the most part, I enjoy watching heels that I can tell are having a good time or are kind of quirky characters because I like that and that's what I find entertaining. People say the mark of a truly great heel is someone that makes you passionately boo or hate them and I'd say The Miz for a long time was like that for me. I couldn't stand his character
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:49 am

That's one of the things I don't like about The Fiend. He should be the antagonist, but he gets cheers. Or maybe we're the real heels here.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:24 pm

I think part of it too is that maybe people are sick of Seth Rollins like they were of Roman. But it doesn't help they do all these cool things to get The Fiend over as a heel but it backfires and makes people like him
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:43 pm

True, they don't book babyfaces well, especially once the chase is over and they're the reigning champions.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:12 pm

LOL @ WWE saying X-Pac was part of the 4 original members of the nWo, but his name was Syxx because he was the sixth member. also him being called Syxx-Pac (a play off 2pac) led to his X-Pac name when he returned to WWE
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic