2019-2020 Season Daily Discussion

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: 2019-2020 Season Daily Discussion

Postby NovU on Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:25 pm

Shorthanded Raptors not only won against 76ers but held Embiid to zip. Loved it. I guess the rivalry still lives on even after Kawhi's departure.

Looking like the Clippers are the scariest team at the moment. As long as both Kawhi and George remain healthy, they will be most feared imho.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby [Q] on Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:46 pm

Lakers won a game tonight they had no business winning, as they were down 10 for most of the game. LeBron is just masterful, always seemingly controlling the game as the maestro, the conductor, the puppeteer. He leads the league in assists. It's been a real pleasure to watch. Especially with the injuries and the bad team limiting him last year
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kevin on Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:10 pm

Ball don't lie. That upheld(-ed?) call after the coach's challenge was fucking bullshit. It was obvious from the start that the Lakers wanted to get AD going, those touches early on were just all AD lol. ADPOY on that last possession tho wow. You can keep 3 ingrams if we getting that AD.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby [Q] on Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:21 am

Jesus the review calls at the end were so bad. The "confirmed" KCP foul call with the angle that shows a huge gap between their arms, it becomes obvious they called a foul because of Ingram's kick out. I think Van Gundy is right, the refs are protecting each other and making sure they don't look bad. Much like the maligned NFL PI reviews and challenges, there's not much point to it if the people making the calls are judge, jury, and executioner. They need third party reviewers for these
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:25 am

They were concerns it was going to slow the game down, and those concerns were well-founded.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:46 pm

I don't mind slowing the game down if it means getting the right calls. They acknowledge that mistakes can be made in the last 2 minutes of the game by putting the system in, but then refuse to admit they actually do happen, even when the evidence is played for them

There were 3 reviews at the end of that game and they got the first one right, but then refused to admit a ref mistakenly called a foul which caused the Lakers to not only give up a foul, 2 free throws, and a timeout, but then they missed the third review where the ball clearly went off Ingram's knee.

Happy that the refs screwing the Lakers over multiple times didn't wind up losing them the game
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby bowdown on Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:22 am

No one is talking about how Melo is rubbing his ass cheeks all over his haters' faces.
bowdown

Postby [Q] on Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:08 am

Because he found a team where the starting 3/4 isn't significantly better than him and the current stars on the team don't mind him jacking up shots?

He got hot for a couple games. Let's see if this lasts and if he eventually offers something more besides scoring
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:49 am

Melo is a bandaid to a deep wound. Better than nothing but isnt a cure that will make Blazers suddenly awesome.

A lot is on Lillard’s shoulder, he needs to get into mid season form rather quickly.

As for the Rockets, uh-oh
phpBB [video]

Both the stats and eyetest don't lie about one thing.
They're winning with Harden on the floor and losing w/o him on the floor.
They're losing with Westbrick on the floor and winning w/o him on the floor.
I don't think it's a matter of learning how to play together but more of flaws that Westy has as a player. It was an awful trade for the Rockets to make and now OKC has shit load of picks. But still, I consider the Thunder's management somewhat of biggest fuck up of last decade especially for: First Ibaka over Harden, then Westy over KD, gbye dynasty.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:02 pm

NovU wrote:What do the Bulls fans think of Lavine btw? Is he a keeper or a sell high player when the moment is right. The way I see him is he's an erratic player who needs usage to produce result inefficiently and will come up with big games every now and then, which is a double edged sword just as case with past hyped players like Monta Ellis and so on: could hinder other players development while fooling people he actually deserves all the touches/system and big paycheck.

Obviously they have many differences, but Ellis is a great comparison: four teams over a decade and basically a 20-5-5 guy that doesn't scream "leader" or anything. Realistically he's probably your fourth wheel on a championship squad. I'd like to say Zach is the better player by a hair.

I don't know why Monta still isn't in the league; could totally have a Lou Williams thing going right now.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:46 pm

I have never seen a game broadcast like this before... are they on the pipe?

phpBB [video]

Absolutely atrocious... why would I even want to watch this?

Welcome to the NBA of 2019: both teams wear away uniforms, typical scores are 150-100 and games are broadcast like movies.
[Hyperize]

Postby NovU on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:27 pm

Had James Harden played in the 4th quarter, it was possible he'd have scored 80+ points. What a monster. Harden led Rockets always has been one of the top offensive teams in the league. Seems that won't change this year. Also he shits on load management. What a monsterrr...

Looks like MVP race is two head monster at the moment, again between Giannis and Harden. Freak & a monster.

Myles Turner's improvement has been halted and it's kinda big let down. Kid was good and showing great promises but hasn't much improved at all.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:53 am

cavs4872 wrote:I have never seen a game broadcast like this before... are they on the pipe?

phpBB [video]

Absolutely atrocious... why would I even want to watch this?

Welcome to the NBA of 2019: both teams wear away uniforms, typical scores are 150-100 and games are broadcast like movies.

Its unbelievable how bad the NBA has become to watch in many ways. Incredible snoozefest, you can see the piss poor effort on defense in these highlights alone (from both teams).

Looks like they are not playing hard at all, playing with low effort and no physicality.

It's the worst the NBA has been since I started watching. It's a shell of its former self. Players lack explosion, variety, and creativity, defense is seldom ever played with effort or at a high level by the majority of the league and its players, players are getting injured and sitting out at an all time high never seen before in the NBA (even though the game is far less physical than it was in the past) you have hardly any of the highlight plays we used to see in the past NBA.

Nothing impresses me really in todays game, the athletes, skill or the stats. The league is INCREDIBLY watered down, possibly more than ever. The game has regressed (gone backwards), and is a shell of its former self.

Disappointed basketball fan right here.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby I Hate Mondays on Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:24 am

Will we see the rules being changed to avoid these routine performances if Harden keeps it up like this?
I Hate Mondays

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:55 am

I Hate Mondays wrote:Will we see the rules being changed to avoid these routine performances if Harden keeps it up like this?

I doubt it. This is the direction they are moving in, and have been moving in for some time. If anything changes, I would expect things to get even worse (somehow) to favor the offense even more. You already cant touch the offensive player.

They were testing a rule recently in the G league that would allow for a player to attempt ONE free throw if he was as fouled on a shot (That would count for 2 points or 3 points depending on where the shot was taken). Think about that:

A poor free throw shooter like Dwight Howard gets fouled going up under the hoop, and if he makes the free throw, it counts as TWO points. It's another way to pick up the pace of the game and heavily favor the offense. Do I think this will be implemented? Probably not. Possible? I mean, they are testing it out.

Now, even though players are getting injured at an all time high, they are talking about doing an in season tournament that would allow a bottom feeder team to make the playoffs if they win the tournament (even if they went like 15-63 during the seaason). I say 15-63, because part of that proposal would be that the season length would be changed to 78 games.

Here is a quote recently that I agree with for the most part:

Today’s game isn’t for the purist, its geared more toward novice stat watchers & betters, hence the emphasis on stats & highlights. The problem is, the product isn’t watchable & the commentary is biased. The NBA has been reduced to waiting for free agency to see who goes where...

Here is a Kyrie Irving quote from last year talking about how little to no defense is being played in the NBA today:

I think not a lot of defense is being played,” he said prior to the game. “Teams are scoring like it’s the 1960s or ’70s. It’s 132 to 112, 142 to 121. There’s no defense. There’s just none. We got into a Utah-Boston game and it’s [98-86] and you can see the difference in effort in every single night, which I get from an NBA player’s standpoint, the amount of games we play, but sometimes you have to make guys miss.

“We’re all NBA players and if you see an open look at the rim, I’m pretty sure we’re going to knock it down over 50 percent of the time if it’s wide open. More or less no defense and effort. That’s what it comes down to; nobody should be scoring that many points.

So many things wrong with the NBA today. The way it is promoted, the on floor product itself, money in the game, etc. Its all a major disappointment. Nothing is "dominant" or truly "impressive" of really any of these high scoring performances when one side of the ball (Defense) is at such a disadvantage rules wise and with the overall lack of effort on that end.
Last edited by Dee4Three on Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:27 am

I Hate Mondays wrote:Will we see the rules being changed to avoid these routine performances if Harden keeps it up like this?

If you wanna solely limit Harden’s dominance, bringing back hand checking would help for that cause. It shall affect many other players that are thriving as well such as Curry and so on.

But if this is ever to happen, it wont be because of Harden as other teams like healthy gsw are also capable of putting up 150 pts in regulation and Harden hadnt had enough success in the playoffs to enforce such rule alone. When Shaq was dominant, he was getting a multiple championships and league wanted to explore options to limit his brute power hence implementing 5 seconds backing down rule which eventually forced teams away from playing post moves.

For now, Harden probably remains one of the rarest players in the league to have potential to score 80 points until Curry, Klay, or KD comes back. Might as well enjoy it.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby [Hyperize] on Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:11 am

To be fair I was talking about the camera work... look how close that shit is. :lol: But you guys are def right anyway; this season in particular is definitely a turning point.
[Hyperize]

Postby NovU on Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:27 am

Doncic kicked LBJ in the butt and Mavs thoroughly outplayed the Lakers. Wasn't an OT thriller like the first game but Mavs win instigates the new rivalry between these two teams and superstars, especially LBJ and Doncic size and role are similar as well as Kristaps and AD.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby [Q] on Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:16 am

Man I missed the game as I was at work, but for those shitting on the players of today's NBA, watch guys like LeBron and Luka. It's been a pleasant surprise to watch these guys show what it's like to be some of the most versatile players in the league and not some one trick (scoring) pony. They could probably average 40 points a game if they wanted to but they don't need to.

I do agree load management sucks and they made a point when the Lakers blew out the Wizards that load management should be like that where superstars earn time off by blowing bad teams out.

Also, is it just me or are they already running out of ideas for the City jerseys? They are becoming bigger eyesores and legitimately look like bad knockoff jerseys.
I actually like the Lakers one this year after that purple pinstriped piece of trash they had last year
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:08 pm

City Edition jerseys have tended to be hit and miss for me. It's become a pretty blatant annual cash grab on the NBA's part, rather than consistent branding and team identity like the alternates of yesteryear. No sleeves though, so there is that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:25 pm

To be fair, there have been some pretty good hits with those misses. One that comes to mind is Miami's Miami Vice jerseys which have a really cool design and they have been refreshing it every year with a different color scheme.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:58 pm

True, that is a noteworthy standout. I'd prefer consistent designs rather than a refresh every single year, but that one is consistently good at least.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:13 am

very informative pod Woj & Lowe has regarding the amount of games changed/ the proposed tournament. a steep battle uphill in reducing games for Silver. can't blame him for trying to squeeze out additional revenue outlets if he's going to lose out some for reducing total amount of games

NovU wrote:But if this is ever to happen, it wont be because of Harden as other teams like healthy gsw are also capable of putting up 150 pts in regulation and Harden hadnt had enough success in the playoffs to enforce such rule alone. When Shaq was dominant, he was getting a multiple championships and league wanted to explore options to limit his brute power hence implementing 5 seconds backing down rule which eventually forced teams away from playing post moves.

For now, Harden probably remains one of the rarest players in the league to have potential to score 80 points until Curry, Klay, or KD comes back. Might as well enjoy it.

yeah pretty much. was the 5 second rule for players like barkley or even mark jackson taking most of the shot clock to back down a player? lol fun era

i give giannis the edge on the MVP race. his stats are pretty ridiculous as it is but if you put them on a 36per to level out the crazy minutes harden plays, they best harden's... not counting ft's haha or even defense
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:56 am

That's right folks, come on down!! Witness the NBA at its peak, in it's most evolved form!!

Harden
50 points
11/38 FG (29%)
4/20 3PT (20%)
24/24 FT (100%)

Westbrook
7/30 FG(24%)
1/6 3PT (17%)
6/6 FT (100%)

Enjoy the sights! Worst defensive era ever, and chucking galore!!

Watch as these elite athletes knife through open space, only to be "contested" by an undersized big!

Watch as they pass up open shots below the 3PT line and even layups in order to chuck up contested threes!

Watch as they go through the motions on defense and display poor effort!!!

Watch as almost every team plays 4-out (sometimes 5 out), and chuck three point line to three point line even though the paint is mostly WIDE OPEN and you cant touch the offensive player!!

Watch these EXPLOSIVE athletes that we are told are better than ever, have far less highlights and play mostly below the rim! Watch as variety is mostly absent from the game, and the league filled with more one dimensional players than ever!

Want to watch players shying away from contact all game, while not playing tough defense because they are afraid of fouls, and afraid to be embarrassed and scared of injury? YOU ARE IN LUCK!

Watch these athletes in the evolved game with medicine and science at its peak get injured constantly, take rest days, and want shortened seasons!

Watch as teams routinely get blown out by 40! so many poor teams exist, you get to watch these blowouts nightly!

So EXCITING!

Note: Clearly not basing this on just the Rockets and one game, or even one player, it's the league as a whole in most games I watch.

Rant over.

Boy do I regret getting league pass this year. Unfortunately, it's just become routine.
Last edited by Dee4Three on Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:41 am

Miami spoils lowry's return from his thumb injury. jimmy buckets misses a FT to close out the game but put on the big boy pants in OT. great game. glad these 2 teams are in the same conference (Y)
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball