NBA JAM 2K22 TE (SNES Patch) Now Available!]

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Re: [NBA JAM 2K20 TE Open Beta Now Available!]

Postby dunkle93 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:36 am

I guess you spoke too soon. Westbrook going to the Rockets for Chris Paul and picks.
dunkle93

Re: [NBA JAM 2K20 TE Open Beta Now Available!]

Postby eskayelle on Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:13 pm

Ha! Indeed. Just saw that this evening myself. Thankfully, that's an easy flip.

Thanks for the heads-up!
eskayelle

Re: NBA JAM 2K20 TE (Final SNES Patch) Now Available!]

Postby eskayelle on Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:39 am

The patch is done! Simulcasting distribution both here and on RHDN, you'll find the final v1.95.76 patch, readme, and special .cht file in the Downloads section!

v1.95.76 Update: Download the patch here! NBA Jam 2K20 TE

Don't forget the beta! NBA Jam 2K20 TE Beta

And what about that original Double Z Mod! Double Z Mod

Let's BOOMSHAKALAKA and get some downloads going!
eskayelle

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:33 pm

Awesome stuff, congrats on the release!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:48 am

Great job! You'll probably need a quick update when CP3 lands in Miami or wherever soon
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby skandeeze on Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:54 pm

does anybody know why this will not play on my snes classic. ive tried multiple different emulators as well.
skandeeze

Postby eskayelle on Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:50 pm

Hey, skandeeze. Since the .ips file is just the changes made to get the original Jam TE to become 2K20, did you use a patching tool (like Lunar IPS or UniPatcher) to apply the .ips file to a headerless SNES Jam TE ROM? Should work after that.
eskayelle

Postby eskayelle on Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:50 am

Since the romhack's upload is about two weeks in, I figured I'd release here some of the secret player initials and button presses, all of this straight from the readme in the Download section. Hoping this might attract a few more readers toward trying the game.

Code: Select all
::*****PLAYER CODES*****
::Hold Start and press Y when entering each initial for the following:
::Hakeem Olajuwon - " HO_ "
::David Robinson - " DR_ "
::Karl Malone - " KM_ "
::John Stockton - " JS_ "
::Dominique Wilkins - " DW_ "
::Larry Johnson - " LJ_ "
::Zion Williamson - " ZW_ "
::Scottie Pippen - " SP_ "
::John Starks - " J_S "
::Reggie Miller - " RM_ "
::Drake - " RAP "
::Jeremy Lin - " JL_ "
::Hulk Hogan - " HH_ "
::Patrick Ewing - " PE_ "
::Horace Grant - " HG_ "
::Dikembe Mutombo - " DM_ "
::Clyde Drexler - " CD_ "
::Dennis Rodman - " D_R "
::Nikola Mirotic - " NM_ "
::Larry Bird - " LB_ "
::Magic Johnson - " EJ_ "
::Michael Jordan - " MJ_ "
::Charles Barkley - " CB_ "
::Shaquille O'Neal - " SO_ "
::Vince Carter - " VC_ "
::Ray Allen - " RA_ "
::Yao Ming - " YM_ "
::Kobe Bryant - " KB_ "
::Kevin Garnett - " KG_ "
::Tim Duncan - " TD_ "
::phonymike - " PM_ "
::Bill Laimbeer - " BL_ "
::Benny the Bull - " BNY "
::NBA Jam Announcer Tim Kitzrow - " TK_ "
::The T-800 Terminator - " CPU "
::Bo Jackson - " BO_ "
::Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson - " RCK "

::*****START MENU CODES*****
::At the title screen, open the start menu and press the following:
::(For expanded roster and to unlock All-Stars:)
::Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A
::(For expanded roster but to keep the MEM/TOR/NOLA team:)
::B, A, B, A, Up, Down, B, A, Left, Right, B, A

::*****ORIGINAL GAME CHEAT CODES*****
::Team Swap (Does not work if using Rookies/Others or All-Stars):
::At the Substitution screen, hold Up and B for 3-5 seconds. 
::Team Swap will then flash on screen.
::Press Left or Right to cycle through teams.
::
::Tonight's Match-Up Screen Codes:
::Power-Up Dunks: Left, Right, A, B, B, A
::Power-Up Offense: A,B, Up, A, B, Up, Down
::Display Shot Percentages: Up, Up, Down, Down, B
::Power-Up 3-Pointers: Up, Down, Left, Right, Left, Down
::Power-Up Blocks: Down, Right, A, B, A, Right, Down
::Quick Hands: Left, Left, Left, Left, A, Right
::Power-Up Turbo: B, B, B, A, Down, Down, Up, Left
::Power-Up Goaltending: Right, Up, Down, Right, Down, Up
::Power-Up Fire: Down, Right, Right, B, A, Left
::Push Opponent and Both Fall: Up, Up, Up, Up, Left, Left, Left, Left, A, A
::Push Opponent and Other Falls: Up, Up, Up, Up, Left, Left, Left, Left, A, B
::Rainbow Shot: Down, Up, Down, Right, Up, A, A, A, A, Down
::Slippery Court: A, A, A, A, A, Right, Right, Right, Right, Right
::Speed Mode: Up, Up, Up, Up, Left, Left, Left, Left, B, A
::Strong Mode: Right, Right, Left, Right, B, B, Right
::Teleport Pass: Up, Right, Right, Left, Left, A, Down, Left, Left, Right, B
eskayelle

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:38 am

Power-Up Dunks: Left, Right, A, B, B, A

Mentioned in my interview with Tim Kitzrow, but I can't remember any mathematical formulas from senior high school, yet I still remember this code like it was yesterday.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:21 pm

Yeah that's the one I remember too lol

It was the easiest one to remember as a kid.

Andrew, you should send screenshots or video to Kitzrow of him in the game. I bet he'd get a kick out of it
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:40 pm

Good idea!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby eskayelle on Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:29 am

Dropping this link here for those of you who are big fans of the Lakers and the Carushow. It's a little patch to drop the Bald Mamba into the game.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4788/

Did Kitzrow ever get a gander at the game? Be hilarious to get his take on it.
eskayelle

Postby [Q] on Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:53 am

Huge improvement over Cousins!

My favorite player on the team!
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:35 am

Nifty update to an already great mod!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:02 am

I recently got into romhacks for translations of Japanese games, and I just remembered this, so I will definitely check this out. Especially the Caruso version!

Just saw Jeremy Lin as a secret character so I can't wait to team him up with the GOAT!
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby eskayelle on Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:03 pm

Jeremy Lin, his player portrait in a Superman costume, no less! With some very good stats, IIRC.

Man, I can't believe it's been almost a year since I put out that hack. Probably not a bad thing to play while everybody's waiting for the season to come back.
eskayelle

Postby [Q] on Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:10 pm

Yeah, I scrolled through the rosters real quick before playing and there were a few moves I believe that were done at the trade deadline obviously not reflected in the game. It's definitely got me hyped for the season

I was also thrown off a bit by the new commentary lol
I'm guessing you also used lines from the new Jams to help supplement

Overall it was a lot of fun. I wish that Nurkic could be the 3rd for Portland instead of Bazemore but great job on it. I can't imagine how long it would take to actually do this
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:09 pm

I still wish we could mode the PC version of TE, but I'm still stoked to have this mod available to us. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Millertime2325 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:27 am

I was actually just updating my portfolio with old projects and was trying to write some stuff up on my NBA Jam 2k17 project. Thrilled to stumble across this and see some of my old work living on. Congrats for taking this thing farther than I was ever capable of doing - awesome to see those updated logos and team names! - and thank you for showing some love! Going to have to give this thing a try when I get a chance. Cheers (Y)

-edit- Just saw the second page, your portraits look so much better than mine as well haha I love the look with just the faces instead of the jerseys included, especially after the trade deadline.

I saw the excel sheet you posted on romhacking.net, fantastic work there as well. I would definitely be willing to work toward yearly releases if time permits if you could use the help. I've since went back to school for a master's degree in computer science so I could probably look into making some tools for this, not sure how much you have automated or if I'd even be capable of doing something like that lol but I remember the portraits and nameplates were especially time consuming. I think someone started working on a tool for stats and portraits but I could never get it to work. Would be a fun thing to work on and not bad to work on for a portfolio/github page.
Check out my NBA Jam 2k14 mod!
Millertime2325

Postby eskayelle on Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:25 am

E.M. - What's going on, man? Glad to hear from you!

After putting in hour #600 on 2K20 (and pretty much losing count after that), I realized doing an annual update would be a bit more than I'd be willing to bite off, especially in any years where there really wasn't a significant roster update. So I published just about everything I learned in the hopes that someone (or a team) might be interested in carrying the torch. I also answer questions from folks as they put together their own hacks.

I figure (all in) in any given year, there could be a good 100 hours worth of updates to do, working on this solo (especially because I'd like to mix up secret players to make the game worth playing each year). Do it every two years, and maybe 150 or so, so I'd definitely be up for a collab if there's interest in a 2K21 or 2K22. I have to say I was pretty impressed with the number of downloads 2K20 gathered. In just under a year, between RHDN and this site, I think I'm a little over 6,200 grabs. Definitely appreciate the love, though I'm curious as to whether anyone ever found the Sixth Man...

In any event, yeah - I'd totally be interested in working together on another Jam. I do have a program (provided to me by a mentor while I was working on 2K20) for mass inserting portraits. I don't have much for name tiles; I use dext3r's app when it works and manually make the edits via TileMolester when it doesn't (easy enough, since I have all the addresses). I somewhat automated stats using a template .asm document I created plus xkas for the assembly bit. I follow the addresses I finished updating using my Excel file, so that part's fairly easy. JCE3000GT has a tool that edits stats, but it uses the old player names, but not player value order, and I found the rom corrupted a few times when using it (I have some trials and tribulations documented in the readme to my Double Z Mod on RHDN), so I tend to update manually (via my .asm work) instead.

For me, the most tedious part (and the thing that keeps me somewhat away from getting back into an update), honestly, is the portrait creation. Take the portrait creation off my hands (I have a system using https://www.basketball-reference.com/ and cutting those portraits to just between the shoulders and just at or under the neckline, but it's still soooo monotonous), and I'd jump back into the hacking tomorrow!!!

Definitely feel free to PM me through here or RHDN if you're interested in working on an update, and thanks for checking in!
eskayelle

Postby [Q] on Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:49 am

The portraits wouldn't be too much work year after year as most of the players would remain and you would just need to add rookies, right?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Millertime2325 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:03 am

Haha believe me I know how tedious it can get. For the portraits I think I set up a macro in photoshop to resize and recolor the background and then manually went around and edited all the translucent pixels one by one around the head. Took forever but wasn't difficult or anything. Nameplates I think I just went in tilemolester or whatever program and wrote them in manually. Didn't have a very elaborate process back then for sure. I tried to keep the look of the original game for the portraits by including the shoulders/jerseys, I thought it looked great.. Until the trade deadline hit and you had Kyrie on the Celtics with a yellow jersey on with a bunch of other players with green jerseys, drove me nuts, but not enough to actually fix it haha. Not only do yours look great, but once the portraits are in the game you wouldn't really have to worry about trades and free agency, especially since it looks like most players have white/dark/neutral looking jerseys on the bottom. I wouldn't be opposed to working on that, and yeah, like Q said, you probably wouldn't have more than like 15-20 new players to add each year which could probably be knocked out in a weekend. I'm out of town laying low with family while covid is exploding in FL (thankful to be able to work remotely right now), but once I get back and have access to my desktop I'll have to start playing around with some of this stuff again.
Check out my NBA Jam 2k14 mod!
Millertime2325

Postby eskayelle on Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 am

Good deal!

The 15-20 in a year's fairly accurate. I'd estimate about that to get in the rookies, re-balance certain teams to ensure (after trade deadline or free agency signings) they have 4-5 players per team (I think I ended up redoing most if not the whole Nets roster between the Feb 2019 trade deadline and the July 2019 free agency signings, if you compare the beta to the final), and remove/replace retiring players or C-level superstars that are on teams with too many players. Then, factor in maybe another 10-15 secret player replacements. I'm inclined to keep the "legends" but perhaps replace some of the specials (like The Rock) with different noteworthy folks. So, maybe we have 20-30 folks to replace. Not a bad task at all.

Could be fun to brainstorm some potential secret players, perhaps a musician, an actor, an all-star or legend from another sport, perhaps a wrestler (a personal touch in my 3 Jam renditions to date), maybe a TV or movie character, perhaps a video game character (Johnny Cage with the MK1 or 2 portrait would be super easy and tie back to the old arcade game a bit)...

I'd also make it a point to roster swap for the latest All-Star team (or some other special team), change team sequence order based on the last season's standings, maybe swap a couple sounds, perhaps a couple banners, play around a bit with the text and opening screens... "professionalize" the game's quality similar to 2K20. That's all the fun stuff I really enjoyed digging into.

For the portraits, one of my "secrets" was basically to take two copies of the portraits, one color and one greyscale, and move over the greyscale blocks of the uniforms to the final image. All to future-proof the portraits and make them readily swappable in the case of something like this.
eskayelle

Postby [Q] on Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:23 am

Ideas for secret players
a musician- J Cole who's played in the celebrity game and has an association with the Hornets now

an actor- maybe actor from a basketball movie like He Got Game, White Men Can't Jump, Uncle Drew, Like Mike, Celtic Pride, Juwanna Mann etc

an all-star or legend from another sport- probably football? MVP Patrick Mahomes

perhaps a wrestler- Stone Cold to team up with Damian Lillard

perhaps a video game character- a Mortal Kombat character fits well here
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby eskayelle on Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:53 pm

With the season having extended as long as it did, and with all the support from the site (thanks!!!) and RHDN, I did decide to give 2K21 TE a go. Here's the "official announcement" and some teaser shots.
eskayelle

PreviousNext

Return to Other Basketball Games