NLSC Podcast #521: No NBA License? No Problem!

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: NLSC Podcast #291: Is It Time To Worry Yet?

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:00 pm

Yeah, there's definitely evidence that it's slated for release, EA is just being very quiet.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #292: MyCAREER Killed The Franchise Mode

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:50 pm

NLSC Podcast #292: MyCAREER Killed The Franchise Mode

Hosts: Andrew & Arcane

Episode #292 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! Arcane is back on the show this week as we catch up on the latest NBA 2K20 news, and discuss how a focus on career modes this generation has affected the course and quality of basketball gaming.

'Tis the preview season, which means that there's a lot of talk about bullshotting as new NBA 2K20 screenshots continue to drop. The soundtrack for this year's game has also been revealed, not only bringing tracks from the big names, but also providing an opportunity for unsigned artists. However, the biggest news of the week is that the NBA 2K20 Demo will be released on August 21st. We speculate on what the new MyPLAYER builder might entail, what other content we can expect, and how the demo experience will translate to the full release. After noting the lack of NBA content in recent NBA 2K demos, we move on to this week's featured discussion: has the focus on career modes adversely affected other modes, and the basketball gaming experience in general? As much as we've enjoyed MyCAREER this generation, it does feel as though other aspects of the games have been neglected. We consider what this might mean for the genre moving forward, and whether it's another sign we're no longer part of the core demographic.

Tune in here!

What are your thoughts on the latest NBA 2K20 news, and the heavy focus on career modes in today's basketball games? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Never miss an episode by subscribing to the NLSC Podcast on Apple Podcasts or Spotify! You can also find us on Stitcher.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #293: We're Seeing What's Next

Postby Andrew on Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:37 pm

NLSC Podcast #293: We're Seeing What's Next

Episode #293 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! As the preview season rolls on, Arcane and I are discussing the MyGM blog and "Next is Now" trailer for NBA 2K20, and the latest news on what's happening with NBA Live 20.

Not everyone is thrilled about it, but the first NBA 2K20 developer blog revealed details on MyGM and MyLEAGUE. As we're burned out on MyCAREER and thinking of returning to the franchise mode experience, it comes as good news. We've also received a longer look at gameplay thanks to the "Next is Now" trailer. It's another slick production, but does it have us hyped for the game? Speaking of hype, the latest NBA Live 20 news has dampened our optimism somewhat. The game is slated to come out later than NBA 2K20 which may work in its favour, but with talk of a "different approach", we do have some concerns.

Tune in here!

What are your thoughts on the latest NBA 2K20 and NBA Live 20 news? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Never miss an episode by subscribing to the NLSC Podcast on Apple Podcasts or Spotify! You can also find us on Stitcher.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #294: Microtransactions, Mega Profits

Postby Andrew on Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:56 pm

NLSC Podcast #294: Microtransactions, Mega Profits

Episode #294 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! This week Arcane and I cover all of the latest previews for NBA 2K20, along with record-setting numbers for NBA 2K19, and the latest word on NBA Live 20.

A statement from Andrew Wilson has reiterated that NBA Live 20 is coming. Free-to-play has neither been denied nor confirmed, which along with talk of a "different approach", has us feeling a little concerned. We also wonder what a free-to-play NBA Live 20 would look like. As for NBA 2K20, we have a better idea of what it will look and play like thanks to this year's gameplay blog, as well as Tweets from Beluba. There are some very promising details, but we have been burned before. News on the WNBA's presence in NBA 2K20 emphasises the gap between NBA 2K and NBA Live, which leads to a discussion on the matter of who did it first vs. who did it best. Finally, record-setting numbers for NBA 2K19's sales and recurrent revenue are something Take Two has to be very pleased with, but it speaks volumes about the attitude and resolve of the basketball gaming community.

Tune in here!

What are your thoughts on the latest NBA 2K20 developer blogs, increases in recurrent revenue, and the situation with NBA Live? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #295: Throwbacks & Evolution

Postby Andrew on Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:42 pm

NLSC Podcast #295: Throwbacks & Evolution

Hosts: Andrew

Episode #295 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! I'm on my own this week, but I'm not lost for words following some good news as the NBA 2K20 preview season rolls on.

In a throwback to basketball games from last decade, All-Decade teams are making a triumphant return in NBA 2K20! They've even got some spiffy uniforms based on retro All-Star designs, but admittedly not everyone is thrilled. Six new retro teams have also been added, including four that have been mentioned in an ongoing series of Friday Five articles. Coincidence? Quite possibly. Some MyCAREER news has also been trickling out of the recent Community Day. From a new approach to Archetypes to reworked Badges, it's quite promising. There are also reports of a huge change to the way attribute upgrades are purchased. It sounds too good to be true, so we'll see.

Tune in here!

What are your thoughts on the new retro teams and changes to MyCAREER in NBA 2K20? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #296: Do You Want to Build a MyPLAYER?

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:09 am

NLSC Podcast #296: Do You Want to Build a MyPLAYER?

Hosts: Andrew

Episode #296 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! With the release of the NBA 2K20 Demo, I have some impressions to share, as well as some thoughts on the MyCAREER trailer, Game Informer preview, and other news from the past week.

The countdown to NBA 2K20 is entering its final two weeks, and we're getting a better picture of what to expect. The MyCAREER trailer provided a glimpse of this year's story, and while it promises great things, it also feels like more of the same. Meanwhile, the NBA 2K20 Demo's hands-on preview of what to expect on the sticks has indicated that it's not quite the same game this year. It's not a deep demo, but it showcases aspects that are good, bad, promising, and concerning ahead of the full release. In other news, a Game Informer article suggests a much less grindy approach this year, and some preview videos confirm that some key players are missing from classic teams.

Tune in here!

What are your thoughts on the MyCAREER trailer and NBA 2K20 Demo? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #297: Our NBA 2K20 Impressions

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:39 pm

NLSC Podcast #297: Our NBA 2K20 Impressions

Hosts: Andrew & Kenny

We're back on the air, as Episode #297 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! Join Kenny and I as we talk about our initial impressions of NBA 2K20. Please keep in mind that we recorded this week's show before the release of Patch 1.03, so we'll definitely be following up with further thoughts.

NBA 2K20 is out now, and it's proven to be one of the more controversial releases in the series. We discuss the backlash, including some brutal user reviews on Metacritic, and the pre-release misinformation that has only fuelled the fire. That leads into our own impressions of NBA 2K20 which tend to be positive, though we do have a few gripes. From gameplay to game modes, from the MyCAREER grind to the changes in MyTEAM, we share our thoughts on NBA 2K20 after our first week with the game.

Tune in here!

What are your thoughts on NBA 2K20 so far? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #298: So, What Did We Miss?

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:17 pm

NLSC Podcast #298: So, What Did We Miss?

Hosts: Andrew & Dee4Three

Episode #298 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! We're back on the air after a longer than expected hiatus, and man, do we have some news to catch up on! Join guest co-host Dee4Three and I as we chat about NBA Live 20 being cancelled, the future of NBA Live, and the latest updates for NBA 2K20 and NBA 2K Playgrounds 2.

NBA 2K20 has been out for around nine weeks now, and has already received several patches. Although the updates have been controversial due to their size, quantity, and lack of detailed patch notes, we are pleased with some of the changes. This leads to a discussion about transparency, toxicity, and overall, our current impressions of the game. We also talk about the latest update for NBA 2K Playgrounds 2, and how the game has turned out. After that, we turn our attention to this week's main topic: NBA Live 20's cancellation. Was it the right call? How does it affect the brand's image? What needs to happen with NBA Live 21? Is it time for another Wishlist? And finally, what happens to basketball gaming as we enter a new generation?

Tune in here!

What are your thoughts on NBA Live 20's cancellation? How do you feel about the latest updates for NBA 2K20 and NBA 2K Playgrounds 2? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:50 am

I listened about half of the last podcast this morning, most part in traffic jam.
Pretty easy to listen you, and i enjoyed guys your analysis.
Totally agree about NBA Playgrounds, its just not fun.
I will listen the 2nd part on returning way, so i hope to finish tomorrow morning ;)
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:28 am

Appreciate the kind words! Hope you enjoy the rest of the episode as well. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:01 am

Great! We covered quite a bit and the conversation was a lot of fun.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: NLSC Podcast #299: What Basketball Gamers Want

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:06 pm

NLSC Podcast #299: What Basketball Gamers Want

Episode #299 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! Dee4Three joins me again as we react to the recent announcement that the NBA Live 15 servers will soon be shutting down, and have an in-depth discussion about what basketball gamers want out of the hobby.

EA Sports has announced that the NBA Live 15 servers will be shutting down as of December 1st, 2019. We react to the timing of the announcement compared to the NBA Live 14 shutdown, and reflect a little on NBA Live 15 itself. This leads to some thoughts on why we dust off older titles, and sometimes seeing them in a new light (and sometimes not). Our feature discussion this week is a deep dive into what basketball gamers want; not just expectations of the virtual hardwood and blacktop, but also our relationship with developers, and approach to game design. We also talk about toxic attitudes, and how we clash with one another over what we want out of the basketball gaming experience.

Tune in here!

What are your thoughts on this week's topic? What do you want out of basketball video games? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #300: Hunters & Collectors

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:37 pm

NLSC Podcast #300: Hunters & Collectors

Episode #300 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! Join Dee4Three and myself as we mark the 300th episode of the NLSC Podcast with a conversation about some recent controversies in the community, the thought-terminating cliches that bother us, Basketball Classics, and the joy of collecting basketball video games, new and old.

As we celebrate 300 episodes, we reflect on one of our favourite shows: our interview with Tim Kitzrow back in Episode #280. Recalling his passion for NBA Jam, we're reminded of how it's too easy to be dismissive of what came before as pure nostalgia - on the real and virtual hardwood alike - and resort to cliched buzzwords to shut down criticism of newer things. That leads us to note the fantastic fusion of the old and new with Basketball Classics, as we share some more impressions of the game. After touching on the recent hack of NBA 2K accounts and issues with ad links in our modding community, we finally get to our featured discussion topic: collecting basketball video games. We talk about our collections, the process of tracking down older titles, the problems that digital content and releases present for collectors, and the fun of playing our old favourites and checking out games we missed out on the first time around.

Tune in here!

What are your thoughts on the recent controversies? Do you consider yourself a collector of basketball video games? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:42 am

Appreciate the last 2 episodes.
Hope NLSC will fix new rules soon about adfly & co.
And it's your fault that I bought Basketball Classics !

ps 1 : echo problem on #299
ps 2 : Dee, you should consider to donate 1$ to NSLC everytime you say "big picture" ;)
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:37 am

Skype was being a pain during the recording of #299, apologies for the sound issues here and there!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:38 am

sticky-fingers wrote:Appreciate the last 2 episodes.
Hope NLSC will fix new rules soon about adfly & co.
And it's your fault that I bought Basketball Classics !

ps 1 : echo problem on #299
ps 2 : Dee, you should consider to donate 1$ to NSLC everytime you say "big picture" ;)

I just listened to it, and I said big picture 3 times in 2 hours. Andrew, ill donate 3 cents to the NLSC.

Thanks for tuning in.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: NLSC Podcast #301: 25th Anniversary of NBA Live (Part 1)

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:49 pm

NLSC Podcast #301: 25th Anniversary of NBA Live (Part 1)

Episode #301 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! This is Part 1 of a two-part episode, as Dee4Three and I celebrate the 25th Anniversary of NBA Live. We're covering the series' origins through to NBA Live 06 in Part 1, with retrospectives, trivia, and personal memories. Be sure to catch Part 2 next week, when we cover NBA Live 07 through to the present!

To mark the 25th Anniversary of NBA Live, we're taking a look back at the history of the series with retrospectives and other fun content. We're extending those deep dive retrospectives to the NLSC Podcast, as we start at the beginning with the precursor to the NBA Live series: Lakers vs. Celtics. From there, we move on to the game that started it all - NBA Live 95 - and go through the series year by year, discussing improvements to gameplay, debuting features, modding, and the overall evolution of the series. Along the way, we share some personal anecdotes of our time with the earlier titles, and compare them to the other releases they were competing with. We also discuss how and why the quality of the early NBA Live games is too often forgotten. Part 1 ends with NBA Live 06, a significant turning point for the series that it's still feeling the effects of today.

Tune in here!

What are your memories of NBA Live 95 through NBA Live 06? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #302: 25th Anniversary of NBA Live (Part 2)

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:47 pm

NLSC Podcast #302: 25th Anniversary of NBA Live (Part 2)

Episode #302 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! This week, it's Part 2 of our celebration of the 25th Anniversary of NBA Live. Join Dee4Three and I as we cover NBA Live 07 through to NBA Live 19, look ahead to the future, and reflect on the series as a whole. If you haven't caught Part 1 yet, be sure to tune in here!

We continue our conversation with a look back at NBA Live 07, a strong candidate for the worst game in the series. As we proceed to break down each game year by year, we reflect on the downfall of NBA Live, and the mistakes that have led to its continued struggles. We discuss what could have been, from the cut retro teams in NBA Live 08 and the full season version of Be a Pro in NBA Live 09 on PS2, to the disastrous change of direction with NBA Elite 11 and cancellation of NBA Live 13. The importance and selection criteria for cover players also comes up, and we reveal the NBA Live 13 cover player that was never officially announced. That brings us to the current generation as we recap the series' ups and downs since returning with NBA Live 14, and how it's looking as of NBA Live 19. Once again, we touch on what we want to see in NBA Live 21 and beyond. We wrap up with our fondest memories of NBA Live, our favourite games in the series, and thoughts on what it's meant to us these past 25 years.

Tune in here!

What are your memories of NBA Live 07 through NBA Live 19? What are your thoughts on the future of the series? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #303: Putting On Our Virtual GM Suits

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:43 pm

NLSC Podcast #303: Putting On Our Virtual GM Suits

Episode #303 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! This week, Dee4Three and I discuss a mysterious new patch for NBA 2K19, our appreciation for franchise gaming, and how the preferences of basketball gamers have evolved over the years.

A new patch has come through for the console versions of NBA 2K19. There aren't any patch notes or any word on what it might entail, leaving us to speculate on what it's all about. We also talk about gamers returning to NBA 2K19 and other older games, as well as the possibility of servers being turned back on. After touching on some issues with toxic attitudes in basketball gaming, we dive into the topic of franchise modes. They were once the premiere attraction in NBA titles, but have since been surpassed by career modes and the connected experiences. We reflect on how preferences came to shift, while also noting that franchise gaming still has plenty to offer. We've also got some advice for enjoying franchise modes, and share fond memories of putting on our virtual GM suits.

Tune in here!

What are your thoughts on franchise gaming in NBA Live and NBA 2K? What are your thoughts on the future of the series? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:31 am

Andrew wrote:A new patch has come through for the console versions of NBA 2K19. There aren't any patch notes or any word on what it might entail, leaving us to speculate on what it's all about. We also talk about gamers returning to NBA 2K19

Perhaps i'm too cynical but dont you think that this new patch could also degrade 2K19 (gameplay, VC), forcing players to think "2K19 wasnt that good"...
sticky-fingers

Postby [Q] on Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:34 am

I used to love GM modes, and I always enjoyed the challenge of managing the salary cap and also clearing cap space and trying to lure free agents.

The off-season has never really been done right in the games I've played so I wish they did those a little better
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:19 am

sticky-fingers wrote:
Andrew wrote:A new patch has come through for the console versions of NBA 2K19. There aren't any patch notes or any word on what it might entail, leaving us to speculate on what it's all about. We also talk about gamers returning to NBA 2K19

Perhaps i'm too cynical but dont you think that this new patch could also degrade 2K19 (gameplay, VC), forcing players to think "2K19 wasnt that good"...

I couldn't rule it out. Apparently there hasn't been any noticeable changes and a glitch regarding a "demi-god build" hasn't been resolved by the patch, so it's still a mystery as to what it changed. I need to clear up some space and install it to check for myself.

[Q] wrote:I used to love GM modes, and I always enjoyed the challenge of managing the salary cap and also clearing cap space and trying to lure free agents.

The off-season has never really been done right in the games I've played so I wish they did those a little better

2K's franchise modes have done it best, but I think I know what you mean. The offseason has always felt rather sequential and compartmentalised, which is probably a lot easier to program, but does feel linear.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #304: Talkin' 'Bout Next Generation

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:08 pm

NLSC Podcast #304: Talkin' 'Bout Next Generation

Episode #304 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! With 2019 and the decade drawing to a close, not to mention a new generation of gaming looming on the horizon, Dee4Three and I discuss the past ten years in basketball gaming, the current generation, and our thoughts as we look ahead to next gen.

After a quick rundown of Patch 1.09 for NBA 2K20, we get right into this week's featured discussion. The end of the decade and announcement of the Xbox Series X has prompted us to reflect on the past ten years of basketball gaming, in particular the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One generation. We compare it to previous generations, noting the positives and negatives. As we look ahead to next gen, we discuss what we're hoping to see, and what not to see. From troubling trends to imaginative innovations, it's a discussion of where the hobby is at, and where it should be. Along the way, we're even able to draw some parallels to the real NBA.

Tune in here!

What are your thoughts on basketball gaming over the past ten years, and two gaming generations? What are your expectations of next gen? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:13 am

Im around the half of the podcast.
About this decade of baskball gaming, i'm agree with you. At the begining of the decade, 2K was so ahead and the best sport game by far. And EA, we still dont understand what they did to mess up so bad ?!

its also pretty strange how 2K serie "evolved", on last gen and on current, it was a rollercoaster. 2K12 and 2K13 were inferiors 2K11, same goes for 2K17/18/19/20 who are inferiors to the previous games.
Lot of gameplay issues werent really fixed (or it took many games), graphics were downgraded.
Of course the "addition" of VC and the way 2K pushes for buying this shit is awful.
And Dee mentionned 2K17 bad patch, but it was the same for 2K16 and more recently for 2K20 (1.0 wasnt perfect but you could feel the weight of the players, since first update, it's a worse 2K19).
So 2K games become mostly a some kind of a big mall, lot of modes, but all those modes have issues we as users/customers try to fix because 2K didnt fix their games.

At this point, I dont know if you talk about that in the 2nd half, but dont you affraid that 2K (and probably EA) would not release 2K21 "nextnextgen" version on PC ?
sticky-fingers

Postby [Q] on Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:03 am

Just saw an ad for 2k20 and it had literally zero NBA content featured
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard