Looking to buy a new monitor

Talk about NBA 2K20 here.

Re: Looking to buy a new monitor

Postby bongo88 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:52 pm

rickberge wrote:So I put the CPU on my TV in the den which is a newer model (bought it 2016 brand new) 55" Sony TV and I noticed on the video settings (2k20) that I can all the way up to 2560 × 1080 and I think even higher. Couldnt do it on the 35inch that I currently play on.

But I noticed bongo stated that my bottlekneck was my 1060 3GB as opposed to the 1060 6GB...as I'm still learning with the PC gaming, in order for me to get the ultimate experience I basically need a more powerful graphics card.

Even when I played on my newer model TV (not sure about the specs, pretty sure it's not good as Dee's TV) it still felt a lil clunky. And not responsive as I like...it may just be 2k20 cause I noticed people saying things about the movement.

I noticed the input lagged more on the defensive end. If I'm playing the pick and roll and I try to switch to the man to pick up the roll man, it seems like I'm a step slower. That was one of the reason why I wanted to research a new monitor/TV.

Sluggish gameplay may or may not be related to frames per second. It could just be the game.

First thing to do is set up msi afterburner with the On Screen Display
phpBB [video]

have the real time monitoring OSD (on screen display) while you play 2k20. take a look at gpu usage, cpu usage, gpu vram usage, and frames per second.

Second thing to do is lower the game resolution to 720p or 480p. then play the game. by lowering the game resolution way low, you will get very high fps, removing any hardware related bottlnecks, and then see if the game is still sluggish. If the game is still "sluggish" at very high fps, then its just the game, not the fps. the game new movement animations could just be sluggish.

Finally, If you are thinking about upgrading your GPU in your current CyberPower PC .... you should stop by reddit build a pc LINK or the PC Mech Forums Build a PC LINK and make a thread about your current PC componentns and what parts you would like to upgrade.... BEFORE you buy any hardware upgrades -- such as upgrading your GPU.

the reason for this is, just like all TV & Monitors are not created equal, so also are all Power Supplys not created equal. You would have to ask those folks if your powersupply could handle a GPU upgrade. First, there is wattage (like a 400watt power supply versus a 1000 watt power supply). Second, there is the build quality of the power supply. there are 1000 Watt powersupply that are complete trash. High wattage does not mean quality power supply. A bad power supply (due to wattage or bad components) will fry your computer.
So, they'd have to go over all the parts in your cyber power computer and see if it could handle a GPU upgrade. You just can't plug in a RTX 2080 super into any computer. likewise, you also just can't plug a 1070 or 1060 6GB in any computer.

You also might want to look up the input lag of your tv.... should be somewhere on the internet.

Before trying to fix a problem, you first need to figure out what the problem is (input lag, fps, sluggish game, etc etc). But yeah, before you do any GPU or other computer upgrades, i would make a thread on either of the forums that i've listed.
bongo88

Postby rickberge on Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:31 pm

bongo88 wrote:
rickberge wrote:So I put the CPU on my TV in the den which is a newer model (bought it 2016 brand new) 55" Sony TV and I noticed on the video settings (2k20) that I can all the way up to 2560 × 1080 and I think even higher. Couldnt do it on the 35inch that I currently play on.

But I noticed bongo stated that my bottlekneck was my 1060 3GB as opposed to the 1060 6GB...as I'm still learning with the PC gaming, in order for me to get the ultimate experience I basically need a more powerful graphics card.

Even when I played on my newer model TV (not sure about the specs, pretty sure it's not good as Dee's TV) it still felt a lil clunky. And not responsive as I like...it may just be 2k20 cause I noticed people saying things about the movement.

I noticed the input lagged more on the defensive end. If I'm playing the pick and roll and I try to switch to the man to pick up the roll man, it seems like I'm a step slower. That was one of the reason why I wanted to research a new monitor/TV.

Sluggish gameplay may or may not be related to frames per second. It could just be the game.

First thing to do is set up msi afterburner with the On Screen Display
phpBB [video]

have the real time monitoring OSD (on screen display) while you play 2k20. take a look at gpu usage, cpu usage, gpu vram usage, and frames per second.

Second thing to do is lower the game resolution to 720p or 480p. then play the game. by lowering the game resolution way low, you will get very high fps, removing any hardware related bottlnecks, and then see if the game is still sluggish. If the game is still "sluggish" at very high fps, then its just the game, not the fps. the game new movement animations could just be sluggish.

Finally, If you are thinking about upgrading your GPU in your current CyberPower PC .... you should stop by reddit build a pc LINK or the PC Mech Forums Build a PC LINK and make a thread about your current PC componentns and what parts you would like to upgrade.... BEFORE you buy any hardware upgrades -- such as upgrading your GPU.

the reason for this is, just like all TV & Monitors are not created equal, so also are all Power Supplys not created equal. You would have to ask those folks if your powersupply could handle a GPU upgrade. First, there is wattage (like a 400watt power supply versus a 1000 watt power supply). Second, there is the build quality of the power supply. there are 1000 Watt powersupply that are complete trash. High wattage does not mean quality power supply. A bad power supply (due to wattage or bad components) will fry your computer.
So, they'd have to go over all the parts in your cyber power computer and see if it could handle a GPU upgrade. You just can't plug in a RTX 2080 super into any computer. likewise, you also just can't plug a 1070 or 1060 6GB in any computer.

You also might want to look up the input lag of your tv.... should be somewhere on the internet.

Before trying to fix a problem, you first need to figure out what the problem is (input lag, fps, sluggish game, etc etc). But yeah, before you do any GPU or other computer upgrades, i would make a thread on either of the forums that i've listed.

Okay will do and thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking it's more of the game but I will use your suggestions to really see if there is any difference before I spend money to upgrade my GPU... but I'm definitely getting a new monitor or TV.
rickberge

Postby mickachiste on Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:05 am

Thanks guys for this thread !
It was something I was looking for. As we want a new family tv, I know where to go now ;-)
mickachiste

Postby mickachiste on Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:28 pm

Dee4Three wrote:Here is what I am talking about with my tv, and how not all are created equal. And I just found my receipt, I paid $329 for the TV at Best Buy.

I highlighted the one that I have. Anything under 20ms for Input Lag is considered excellent for a TV, mine is roughly around 13. The picture quality is excellent as well.

[ Image ]
[ Image ]

Anything 0-20 is considered excellent here

[ Image ]

https://displaylag.com/testing-method/

Some of the best monitors have around 10ms at for Native Resolution at 60hz, and with Native Resolution around 4ms.

[ Image ]

But for me to be able to play on a 50 inch screen, with no notice of any input lag, with great screen quality, and regardless of what I am playing (NBA 2K, first person shooters, RPGs, action) etc. Its more than worth it. Rather than shelling out bigger bucks for a larger sized monior (Certainly not 50 inches), where I don't notice any difference in the input lag at all.

This is my old tv that my brother is using that is on the left on that picture I showed. Input is roughly 22.ms. Almost all the videos on my channel of 2K17, 2K18, 2K19 etc are using that tv for games against my brothers or the CPU. Literally was fantastic and incredibly reactive. My brother still uses it to play Borderlands, and other games with me online (We connect LAN or join up somehow)

[ Image ]

Rick has an old tv, mine I bought recently and its a 2018 model. His input lag could seriously be around 60, or even more. And I doubt it has a game mode in the settings.

Just don't want anybody thinking they can't achieve amazing reaction time using a TV with your PC, and you don't need to break the bank doing it either. I have it hooked up this way and use wireless xbox one controllers as if it was a console.

For anybody who decides to buy that tv (Off chance) after me posting this, they are available on best buy and Amazon, and I couid give you my other settings I tweaked with the TV for best picture.

Monitors can achieve better input lag scores and higher FPS than 60. However, TVs are no slouches when you get the right one, and you certainly dont have to break the bank. The Vizio was only a few hundred, and the Samsung I am using right now was only a few hundred. And I can game on 50 inches with no noticeable lag at all.

Here is my brother and I playing against eachother (showing Rick if he hasn't seen it) on that samsung TV. Incredibly reactive on the sticks, I'm using the Lakers hes the Wolves. We notice no delay whatsoever, you can probably tell by the moves/counter moves, alley-oops etc pulled off.

phpBB [video]

Hi Dee, i am coming Black on this topic as i am really interested in having a Samsung tv. I read so many things here and there that now I am lost...

The input lag is no longer a problem with the latest tv. But all the tests are done with 4K consoles and not PC. So here is my question. Upscaling. How do you set up your pc to handle 1080p ? Do you use the gpu upscaler or do you let the tv do the job ,
mickachiste

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:24 am

Great question.

So the TV does the job. Basically, mine was plug and play that way. When I plugged in my CPU to my TV, it automatically read it in 1080p, and the screen "fit" perfectly into the window.

If your CPU and TV automatically communicated "4K" to eachother, you can just go into the display settings on your CPU, and change the resolution to 1080P. The TV will cooperate and automatically adjust back to 1080P.

The upscale option is there if you need it, but again I have never had to use it.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Previous

Return to NBA 2K20