Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby Lean on Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:15 am

[Q] wrote:Honestly I was a bit shocked that Ricochet lost

Oh yeah, me too. I thought they're going to have him go over and revert back to his "King Ricochet" name from the indies. And yeah, the more I think about Gable vs Corbin, the more I believe that Corbin's going to win it all.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:07 am

Apparently obligatory boos equals great heat now.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:41 am

Called it, Corbin won KOTR.

Also, Brock came out on Smackdown to challenge Kofi for the championship on Smackdown's FOX premiere.

Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:05 pm

Yeah, I have a bad feeling about both of those outcomes.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:44 pm

NXT live is coming. I have a bad feeling The Dream will be dropping the title to The Undisputed Era to fulfill their dominance over NXT. Frankly the show suffers when stuff like this happens. The women's picture has been lackluster with Shayna dominating and was very boring and predictable when Asuka did the same
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:40 pm

Fortunately, Rhea Ripley is bringing her brutality to the brand.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:54 am

I think Rhea and Toni Storm will be moving to NXT from NXT UK along with Pete Dunne.

And I really hope the Street Profits stay on NXT.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:52 am

It definitely seems they're coming over. I'm guessing the Street Profits end up on RAW, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:54 pm

With the draft coming, i could see a lot of new and returning faces on both shows
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:26 am

Seen NXT, they went ballistic during the first hour and kinda toned it down on the second, and not until Imperium's involvement at the end that the crowd came back alive. Still a great show, nonetheless.

One thing I noticed is that they never said "sports entertainment", but referred to "pro wrestling" as it is.

It's the WWE live event in several hours time, and I think the booked talent should have changed with both Elias and McIntyre injured, and The Revival being the tag champs.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:27 am

Oh that's right! I saw Nakamura posted he was at Narita (Tokyo) but now in Manila.

I did notice at the beginning Mauro started to say Sports but stopped himself and said professional wrestlers
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:28 pm

I've noticed the word "wrestling" being used a bit more lately on RAW and Smackdown as well, by Becky in particular. Seems like they might be relaxing the policy on some of the banned words, especially after "Becky 2 Belts" got over as a phrase.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:38 pm

Alright so the live event came about and it was a fun show. Apparently, the show on Friday was the first of their international loop, they were in China a few hours ago, and will be in Honolulu next.

Here are the results from the show:

Kevin Owens def. Andrade

R-Truth came out with the 24/7 Championship, and introduced the participants of the next match.

Chad Gable def. EC3

EC3 def. R-Truth for the 24/7 Championship (and was recognized by WWE in an article)

R-Truth def. EC3 for the 24/7 Championship

Carmella def. Mandy Rose (w/ Sonya Deville)

Shinsuke Nakamura (w/ Sami Zayn) def. Ali to retain the Intercontinental Championship

Roman Reigns def. Sami Zayn (w/ Shinsuke Nakamura)

Bayley def. Charlotte Flair to retain the Smackdown Women's Championship in a Street Fight

The Revival def. Big E and Xavier Woods to retain the Smackdown Tag Team Championships

Kofi Kingston def. Daniel Bryan to retain the WWE Championship

It was roughly a three-hour show with the crowd mostly silent for the Carmella/Mandy match. Owens opened the show to a massive pop. Nakamura is also so over here, with Sami balancing it out with his heel schticks. The Nakamura/Ali match was fantastic, with one very close near fall when Shin attempted a Kinshasa but met with a Superkick from Ali.

After the IC title match, Sami said his neck felt good and he thinks he can compete and talked trash towards the locker room for being afraid of having a match with him. Roman Reigns came out to a huge ovation, and this became the 'impromptu' match, since Reigns was originally booked to be in a street fight with Drew McIntyre.

The Revival and The New Day had a pretty entertaining match, with a funny pre-match skit on which team can hug his tag team partner better.

The street fight between Bayley and Charlotte was probably the safest street fight ever (which is understood since this was basically a house show). There's one point where Bayley went to the crowd and was immediately blocked by a kid, the kid was then put away by a massive bouncer. :lol: The crowd chanted that they want tables so Charlotte pulls one out, but Bayley puts it back under the table every time she got Charlotte down. Bayley won by heel tactics, rolling up Charlotte after Charlotte hit her head on a chair that's leaned between the top and middle ropes. After the match, Charlotte attempted a front-flip senton on Bayley over the table, but the table didn't break. So they tried again, this time by Charlotte powerbombing Bayley to the table, but the table still didn't give. After Charlotte left, Bayley got up and hit the table several times with a kendo stick. :lol:

Kofi and Bryan's match was a 20-minute normal PPV styled match with a long mat wrestling build-up. (Bryan came out to a huge ovation with Yes! chants) It's worth pointing out that Bryan showed face tendencies during the match, with him shaking hands with Kofi every time a chain wrestling sequence ends. After the match, Bryan raised Kofi's hand in victory and shook his hand again.

Also worth pointing out that the Smackdown ring announcer Greg Hamilton, did pause every time he finished saying "the following contest is scheduled for one fall..." for the crowd to respond "ONE FALL!", something he picked up from when he ring announced in NXT Takeover in London. He carried that with him on Smackdown (and then Jojo and Mike Rome adapted it to their work on Raw) but there were reports that Vince didn't like that so they stopped doing it. I was just glad he still does that on house shows to keep the crowd engaged.

He also rung the bell in matches which I thought was funny.

Overall, it was a fun show even though there weren't enough big names. I had my hopes of Asuka and Kairi Sane coming along when I heard that Mandy and Sonya were in the lineup.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:39 pm

Sounds awesome, hope the show in Sydney next month is just as fun!

It's looking like Daniel Bryan is headed for a face turn. They pretty much have to with Rowan out-heeling him in the Roman Reigns Whodunnit angle, and it should be possible to do fairly seamlessly.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:14 pm

I think he'll be teaming up with Reigns next to take on Rowan and Harper. But yeah, definitely a face turn. Shame that his heel run would end because I like this Planet's Champion character.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:10 pm

With a bit of tweaking, I reckon he could still be a face version of that character. Kind of like how CM Punk could be both a straight edge face and straight edge heel, depending on his attitude and portrayal of those characteristics.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:38 pm

New logo coming to Raw starting next week, which is just the 2018 logo pinched from the bottom of the "A" and dragged a bit down:

Rumors also say that there will be separate sets for both shows and pyro would return.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:44 am

Meanwhile, Carmella turns on R-Truth without really turning on him, and wins the 24/7 title. Interesting, Billie Kay was among the women who gave chase as she and Truth ran away, but Peyton Royce was not. I actually want to see one or both of them hold it, given the belt is green and gold, and those are Australia's colours. It'd be a cool reference, and wouldn't need to be a long reign. At least it'd get them on TV, until the tag belts come around to them again.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:13 pm

Maybe Peyton is still on vacation after being married to Tye Dill--Shawn Spears?
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:05 pm

The IIconics wrestled on Main Event last week, so she is/was back in action. She posted some workout selfies on Instagram so doesn't look like she's badly injured or anything. Probably nothing serious, but definitely weird to see one without the other.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:15 am

So changes will be made on the announce teams on both Raw and Smackdown starting next week: Vic Joseph, Dio Maddin (the former Brennan Williams, NXT house show mainstay), and Jerry Lawler for Raw; and Michael Cole, Corey Graves, and Renee Young on Smackdown. Interesting that they both Tom Phillips and Byron Saxton are both unaccounted for, and no mention of 205 Live either, amidst reports of it being canceled soon and its roster to be merged with NXT.

The NXT announce team of Mauro Ranallo, Beth Phoenix, and Nigel McGuiness is retained.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:50 pm

Sounds like they're going all in on Smackdown being the flagship show. I think it's a good move to not have Graves on both shows. If nothing else, it defeats the purpose of including the commentary teams in the brand split if he's on both "teams". It's also overexposure.

Also, Johnny Nitro/Morrison/Impact is returning to WWE for the first time since 2011. I'd forgotten it had been that long.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:55 pm

God damnit they are rolling out Lawler from the grave? I was a fan of Tom Phillips especially as the other choices for commentary weren't ideal (Graves and Cole) and loved his gags with Jericho. Hope they find a spot for him. Perhaps he and Byron will go backstage for interviews. I'm fucking ecstatic that we only have to suffer through Graves on one show now. He is terrible with his flip flopping and his oogling over women much like Lawler during the Attitude Era. Glad to see Brennan Williams get a chance. Maybe they think he could be a better version of Byron
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:49 pm

I liked annoying, noisy King during the Attitude Era. Kinda bummed out on Tom Phillips as well. I can see that they'll be putting him and Byron somewhere else like in NXT UK, but Vic and Nigel are a perfect fit for that show.

Completely forgot about the Morisson news, I hope he gets a better run this time. I can see him losing his old theme too, like Shelton and Lashley did.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:27 pm

King is apparently only temporary. I know he gets a lot of flak these days, but he was good in his day. It's very surprising that Phillips and Saxton don't have roles, but I expect that'll change in time.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic