Impressions of NBA2K20

Talk about NBA 2K20 here.

Impressions of NBA2K20

Postby Uncle Drew on Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:24 pm

Just played a game, and I can see improvement. What are your thoughts on this season's game? I think it's better, but still see some gameplay issues, haven't been addressed.
Uncle Drew

Re: Impressions of NBA2K20

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:23 pm

a quick game before the work

+ players' weight seem better
+ Some retros players have been "r4zorified"
+ more animations (blocks)
+ Better default lighting...
+ some retro courts and arenas are pretty fine

- ... but lighting is not as good as 2K19 modded.
- screen call, not ergonomic at all
- play call, not ergonomic at all
- fewer offline modes
- some retro players CF still sucks (Perdue, Paxson etc...)
Last edited by sticky-fingers on Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
sticky-fingers

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:05 pm

First thing I did was test out the WNBA teams for a couple minutes then went into '07 Wizards @ '10 Blazers (Arenas vs. Roy :cheeky:). Andre Miller is #9 instead of #24... what have they done to quick plays? How do I call an isolation, or direct a quick post-up? This is absolutely bogus; the quick plays are totally random. They always have to change something for no reason.

I'll probably just start my MyTEAM and go to the Park next... game doesn't feel much different from last year at all. The only reason I got the game was the prospect of using the Arenas Wizards and Roy Blazers online (which they will be a difficult unlock -- take me back to 2K18 where you could use every team from the start), and because my brother used his GameStop employee discount on it... got the collector's edition because I'll probably be spending VC to upgrade my player at least.

I appreciate that the game is slower and a step toward realism, but you already know a patch is coming.

I made a massive MyCAREER L: for some reason I thought there were unlimited attribute upgrades so I started maxing everything out like previous years, spending my 100K preorder VC on all the inside scoring stuff, so now I have like no upgrades left and am really unbalanced. Not sure if I should buy VC and restart the way I intended or just bear with it. I doubt I'll be able to do it, but I might try to play 2K20 without buying any VC. I promised myself I would only have on MyPlayer this year, so I would already be breaking that rule. :lol:
[Hyperize]

Postby Uncle Drew on Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:57 am

Also noticed, they eliminated some teams jerseys in this years game, and cut out some plays from on the fly play calling. Unforturnate that they always take out good features.
Uncle Drew

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:08 am

Literally the only thing I do is pick and rolls/fades, quick post ups and isolations, so I guess I'll just have to adapt.
[Hyperize]

Postby TGsoGood on Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:27 am

The number one reason I am enjoying this is because I have enjoyed teaching my daughter how to play.

She has had fun playing with the WNBA
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nextnba on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:46 pm

The same issues as last years. This game is broken and it doesn't appear that they will be able to fix it. When you load up the first game, it plays fine. It feels slow, CPU plays defense, the players feel like they have weight. After a few games, the AI breaks down, speed becomes fast, players no longer have weight, and you can just drive to the hoop with CPU no longer playing any on ball defense and dunk or do lay ups.
nextnba

Postby Murat on Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:55 pm

is Inside The NBA crew excluded this year?
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jayzmagz on Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:49 pm

Murat wrote:is Inside The NBA crew excluded this year?

Nope, they are still there.
jayzmagz

Postby fjccommish on Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:21 pm

"The same issues as last years. This game is broken and it doesn't appear that they will be able to fix it. When you load up the first game, it plays fine. It feels slow, CPU plays defense, the players feel like they have weight. After a few games, the AI breaks down, speed becomes fast, players no longer have weight, and you can just drive to the hoop with CPU no longer playing any on ball defense and dunk or do lay ups."

Glad someone else noticed it. It's like the game unlearns how to play or learns how to be bad.

I installed this, checked for the blowby bug - it's still there. Played the 98 Bulls vs Wilt's Lakers. With Luc Longley I can go baseline right or left, and half the time I just slide by Wilt for an easy basket. Other times, I can fake one way, go the other to completely avoid Wilt - easy layup or dunk for Luc. Never mind what I can do with someone like MJ. The blowby bug is still in the game.

I let CPU play CPU same matchup. 10 out of 10 games Dennis Rodman was the Bulls leading scorer. That's LOL out loud in a bad way. Did the people who made this ever watch an NBA game?

"First thing I did was test out the WNBA teams for a couple minutes then went into '07 Wizards @ '10 Blazers (Arenas vs. Roy :cheeky:). Andre Miller is #9 instead of #24... what have they done to quick plays? How do I call an isolation, or direct a quick post-up? This is absolutely bogus; the quick plays are totally random. They always have to change something for no reason."

Basically, there is no play calling - only can call random plays.
fjccommish

Postby Uncle Drew on Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:49 pm

fjccommish wrote:"The same issues as last years. This game is broken and it doesn't appear that they will be able to fix it. When you load up the first game, it plays fine. It feels slow, CPU plays defense, the players feel like they have weight. After a few games, the AI breaks down, speed becomes fast, players no longer have weight, and you can just drive to the hoop with CPU no longer playing any on ball defense and dunk or do lay ups."

Glad someone else noticed it. It's like the game unlearns how to play or learns how to be bad.

I installed this, checked for the blowby bug - it's still there. Played the 98 Bulls vs Wilt's Lakers. With Luc Longley I can go baseline right or left, and half the time I just slide by Wilt for an easy basket. Other times, I can fake one way, go the other to completely avoid Wilt - easy layup or dunk for Luc. Never mind what I can do with someone like MJ. The blowby bug is still in the game.

I let CPU play CPU same matchup. 10 out of 10 games Dennis Rodman was the Bulls leading scorer. That's LOL out loud in a bad way. Did the people who made this ever watch an NBA game?

"First thing I did was test out the WNBA teams for a couple minutes then went into '07 Wizards @ '10 Blazers (Arenas vs. Roy :cheeky:). Andre Miller is #9 instead of #24... what have they done to quick plays? How do I call an isolation, or direct a quick post-up? This is absolutely bogus; the quick plays are totally random. They always have to change something for no reason."

Basically, there is no play calling - only can call random plays.

Hit the nail on the head. Noticed they've came out with a patch to fix the speed issue. We'll see what else screws up, by them trying to fix one thing, and it affects something else.
Uncle Drew

Postby bluejaybrandon on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:55 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:Just played a game, and I can see improvement. What are your thoughts on this season's game? I think it's better, but still see some gameplay issues, haven't been addressed.

I’m a big fan of this year’s game. Movement feels purposeful and the game responds how I want it to. It feels like a real accomplishment to pull off a crossover that gets around a good defender. The defense feels responsive and I’m glad ball handlers can’t just pull off a string of moves. I think this is one of the best efforts by 2k in years.

A huge plus is that graphically, there are way more face scans and tattoo updates. I’ve had to do way less behind the scenes to achieve a real roster and that’s encouraging. I’m really looking forward to diving deep into a MyLeague this year.
bluejaybrandon

Postby BronBron06 on Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:58 pm

Presentation is great
Shooting and Freethrow system seems better cause I keep getting tons of green glow now unlike for the past 4 games

My problem though is when I press the button, I feel like stuck in the mud trying to get free, sometimes its 0.5 sec to 1 sec delay before the player reacts, dunno if its due to changing of body motion during the button press or its a "feature".
Players also feels sluggish, how I wish there was a change of tempo button where theres a quicker directional change at a faster pace but at a cost of larger stamina drain / more prone to injury rng

Also another negative would be the female ref, why is she a hag, i remember nba female refs are cute. So much for realism
BronBron06

Postby sanmarco on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:06 pm

Yearly releases of NBA 2K comes(sic) with different nagging issues, most are reverberations of 2K Sports' past.
They're just sweeping dust under the rug.

Video games pre-internet age are created perfectly. There's no "Super Mario World" Update 1.02.
Now, games are broken and we're all tense and anxious.
sanmarco
Spalla Camicia

Postby masonjason48 on Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:21 pm

well, gameplay is developed.game forces you to think quickly. momentum is so important when comparing 2k19.every missed shot wrong movement punished. your hands of player get cold really though detail if you think about next move too much you lose the ball.timing is so important.still since 2k11 easy stealing is chronical continue but one difference now.if you trying to so much you can get 3-4th fouls easily. game every second changed against to you or for your avantage.

gameplay makes you to push much more for playing with pass and with team. fast breaks harder than previous years.lay ups dribble and crossover moves more gamepad friend so smooth so cool liked that.

still some significant retro teams missing. like 98 hawks, 2001-2002 jordan's wizard, 93 phoneix some missing important players like rashed wallace.

in graphics approximate of globals is good. bodies more realistic.faces are real life look liked.pippen looks a like pippen.but mess with again bird's face.and still some old fashion skin tones on the cyberfaces just convert from old 2k series in 19 18 etc ,

last years soundtracks are just dissapointment.I'never so exitced since 2k12.really recognazible and make your rhrtym in the game well.
masonjason48

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:17 am

List of 10 negatives and 10 positives for 2K20 (My experience)

Positives

1. 2K11 vibe - with the look during gameplay and via presentation. Also the feel of the players in some ways. The players size relative to the court is VERY 2K11.
2. Breathtaking, and very realistic looking moves going to the rim (At times) - Dunks can still be explosive, and some new dunk and layup animations really add to the authenticity
3. Weight of players - Game feels lighter overall this year, and players (Given the right attributes/badges) can explode off first steps and catch and gos. Using Westbrook on 2K20 is a lot more realistic (And fun) than using Westbrook on 2K19.
4. Player differentiation - Like my example of Westbrook above, players like Westbrook play different than guys like Kyrie in this game. Not just signature style wise, but movement wise in general. You have a go to guy? Is he the real go to guy in real life? You should probably go to him in the game, and use him to his real life strengths
5. Blocks, rebounds and steals - All are still fun to do, and I find that a staple of this series on this gen. Players are reactive getting off the ground, even when doing a double jump, jumping into the passing lanes feels right and the animations for the steals look realistic, block animations are not canned and still feel as good as ever. While OFF REB is overpowering, rebounding is still fun, and a skill gap exists with it. Boxing out is important, and so is timing your jump.
6. Dribbling - This was initially a negative, but after patch 1.03 they seemed to tighten it up a bit. Stringing together combos feels pretty solid, bursting off a crossover or behind the back feels pretty good (Outside of the skating), etc. It took balls IMO for them to attempt that for 2K20, and I think they did a solid jump implementing it.
7. Graphics - The best I have seen them over the last few years. Players still pop on close ups, but they absolutely improved the stadium lighting for the current and classic teams, and made noticeable improvements to a lot of faces (Nice work, Razor). The closeups for this game are the best in 2K history in my opinion. Reflections on the courts look better as well.
8. Atmosphere - I am guessing I am not the only one that noticed they went back to last gen-esque atmosphere. The crowd noise, arena sounds, etc. The game overall feels more alive, in turn giving the user the opportunity to get more immersed in the action.
9. WNBA/All decade teams - I have not used them much, but it's a nice touch to bring the all-decade teams back. Just more content for users to get into and keep them playing. Another positive is the WNBA, and I love the fact that they not only implemented it, but they implemented it the right way. They represented the league well, and even gave us a season mode. The WNBA has been around for a long time now, and they were absolutely due to be represented properly in a video game. They did a great job making the gameplay feel different than the NBA part of the game. Using WNBA teams feels like a different experience (as it should), and its really a lot of fun to play.
10.Roster Management - I mean, it's the best in any sports game (ever). The ability to delete players from a roster, player DNA, all the content, etc. Having a well rounded product that appeals to all ages and skill levels is why 2K is going to be so hard to take down.

Negatives

1. Skating/Floating - As I showed in my video, this game is in sore need of foot planting. Ever since the new motion system was installed for 2K18, skating has been at an all time high. It impacts outcomes/results as well, as players skate into positions they were not intending to go, putting them out of proper position. In my opinion, this and #2 on my list are the two biggest issues with 2K's gameplay experience
2. Sucked in - Getting sucked into other players (Whether they are on the side, front or behind you) happens a lot, and again impacts outcomes and results in a big way. This is another item that came with the new motion system in 2K18, and continued into 2K20. Instances occurred for it in past titles, but not nearly to the level of these last 3 titles.
3. Dribbling - Yes, a positive and a negative. The ball transferring hands looks really awkward at times, and feels odd as well. I showed an example of it on my video (LeBron), but if you go up close this is happening quite a bit. Gamebreaking? Absolutely not. Just something they could clean up.
4. Blow bys - Better than 2K18, but still an issue. It is incredibly easy to just run by an average defender and get to the hoop and score, in fact at times you can do it over and over and over again and just keep scoring. And it's not just in the halfcourt, either, it happens all the time in transition or when pushing the pace on an inbounds pass. Want an easy score? Just go wide and run by the CPU for an easy dunk or layup. Defender in front of you running down the middle of the floor? Push by him to the hoop. It's not just an "exploit" when it's something that is impacting gameplay on such a wide scale. Also, exploits are issues in themselves, and they need to fix the defense in this regard.
5. Speed and acceleration breaks - This is also something that was introduced in a big and more constant way with the new motion system, and another issues that impacts results and outcomes.
6. Heavy pass animations -This causes an unrealistic delay when trying to run your offense, and even causes steals that shouldn't happen. Passing has delays not only because of the passing animation being heavy, but also the catching animation being heavy.
7. Roster accuracy - Yes the current teams are in decent shape as far as attributes/tendencies/signatures go, but not the classic teams. A ton of copy and paste jobs were done. Antawn Jamison is David West, Deshawn Stevenson is Sefolosha, Doug West is Joe Johnson, Billy Cunningham is Blake Griffin, Kelly Tripuka is Petrovic, Baron Davis is Lillard, etc. I am not talking about all attributes and tendencies, I am talking about some of those and signatures. Nick Van Exel having Marions free throw, Laettner having McHales signatures, Rider having LeBrons signautes, etc. Many of these guys have the exact same dunks/dribbling assigned as well. It's a clear rush job and an afterthought next to the current teams. personally, I would be embarrassed to release a roster with all of those copy and paste jobs, so it's a bit disappointing. The good thing is: We have the tools to fix a lot or most of it.
8. Defense - We talked about blow-bys, but overall the defense is just not smart in the game, period. Whether you are using current teams or classic teams, they just are not. Transition defense is terrible, double teams don't make sense (The entire double team system is a bit of a mess), etc.
9. Shooting - The feel is just... not right. Go back and shoot on 2K14 through 2K17, you can feel the proper weight and flow on shots. In 2K20, shots look and feel rushed, and we cannot adjust shot timing anymore like we used to (Quick, normal, late).
10. Face up game - The face up game in the high and low post isn't as complete as it should be, or as controllable. Most times when you face up and try to make a move, you drop the ball or get put in a slow motion animation where you look like you are running in mud trying to get to the hoop.

Overall, this is my favorite 2K since 2K17. Especially after patch 1.03 addressed some of my gameplay issues and concerns. However, player movement in a BASKETBALL GAME is so important, and foot planting and better body detection (less sucking in, oh and clipping is pretty bad) is a must for the next gen version of 2K's IMO. However as I mentioned on another thread, 2K20 has "good bones", and just need to sharpen up in areas of player movement. Yes, some legacy issues are still present (Like body steals), but they are not gamebreaking. I mean, if they were, 2K would have been out of business awhile ago, afterall they are "legacy issues" that have been in the game for YEARS.

Making the best of 2K20 with slider tweaks, and modding. I have already played it A LOT. Hopefully they don't hurt any of the good parts of the gameplay with future patches.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:27 pm

I'll be doing a full review this year, and I also posted some impressions a couple of weeks back in Monday Tip-Off: https://www.nba-live.com/mto-initial-nb ... pressions/

Kenny and I also shared our preliminary thoughts in Episode #297 of the NLSC Podcast: https://www.nba-live.com/nlsc-podcast-2 ... pressions/

As for more latest thoughts: right now, I'm liking traditional 5v5 (that is to say, not player-locked) gameplay more than MyCAREER gameplay, though the fact that I'm burned out on MyCAREER and starting over every year does obviously have something to do with that. I do think MyCAREER gameplay feels a bit more sluggish because of the way ratings and Badges are handled this year, however. In any event, for the most part I've been having fun controlling everyone in MyTEAM and some Play Now games I've played. I'm holding off on a MyLEAGUE until we get a more complete roster update, closer to the start of the 2020 season.

I'd say my biggest gripes are the legacy issues with CPU cheese/imbalance, physics, and the motion engine; problematic stuff that's been in the game for a few years now. Blow-bys are too powerful, and suffer greatly from the aforementioned AI imbalance. It's frustrating at times, but at the same time, I wasn't expecting a major jump in the tech on the current generation. Sliders can obviously help, but that's not an option in MyTEAM or MyCAREER, so if you're playing one or both of those modes, you've got to grin and bear it to some extent. There's a bit more flexibility when it comes to MyLEAGUE of course, and thankfully so.

I do feel inclined to keep playing the game though, so it's more on par with NBA 2K19 and NBA 2K17 for me, rather than NBA 2K18.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:15 am

The defense in this game is absolutely broken in a lot of ways, its really frustrating. Especially in transition, one on one situations, and help defense.

Set your base as HOF, and turn all the defensive sliders to 100 (On ball defense, defensive awareness, defensive consistency, help defense, etc), and you can still just run by the CPU in transition, or if you push the pace off of an inbounds. It's nuts.

The help defense doesn't adjust even if you keep blowing by the defense to the hoop (I showed an example of that in my video). Even with on ball defense at 100, it is still just so easy to get a defender on your side and easily get to the hoop.

I am smoking the CPU when I play them, because I can just run by them and score. And it doesn't have to do with my movement sliders, as I am doing it with default movement, and with my sliders, and other slider movement tweaks.

The skating, speed breaks, etc are frustrating, and the game sorely needs footplanting. But I think the most frustrating thing in this game is the defense, its really, really poor. Logic wise and on ball wise.

The defense is 2K18-esque, and that's not a good thing. This game is not remotely close to realistic defensively, that's one entire side of the ball and a major part of basketball. It's really killing it for me right now.

*Note: It also doesnt matter if ACE is on or off.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:42 pm

They have been absolutely atrocious at replicating historic players, dating back to last year's MyTEAM.
[Hyperize]

Postby Uncle Drew on Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:40 pm

Those floaters that ALWAYS go in, regardless of playing good defense. They need to tone down the efficiency on those, and drives to the rim. This is nerve racking for me.
Uncle Drew

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:40 am

Uncle Drew wrote:Those floaters that ALWAYS go in, regardless of playing good defense. They need to tone down the efficiency on those, and drives to the rim. This is nerve racking for me.

This has been a problem since 2K14, honestly.

Floaters go in at an unrealistically high percentage. I can stomach it, what I can't stomach is all the skating, lack of control, defense issues (the defense in this game is not smart, or sim, or anything, it's really poor), and the player movement issues in general.

Having a lot of trouble enjoying this game.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Hyperize] on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:05 pm

Literally the only thing still bumming me out if the removal of the automatic isolation and post up from the play call menu. Anyone have any solutions? Am I the only one who relied on this?
[Hyperize]

Postby Uncle Drew on Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:51 am

cavs4872 wrote:Literally the only thing still bumming me out if the removal of the automatic isolation and post up from the play call menu. Anyone have any solutions? Am I the only one who relied on this?

This.. Also just the removal of on the fly plays period. You have 4 standard plays to choose from, use to be way more, and if you don't like the default ones, you have to manually install new ones.
Uncle Drew

Return to NBA 2K20