MyGM is looking like a hard pass this year

Talk about NBA 2K20 here.

MyGM is looking like a hard pass this year

Postby NewJerseyNets on Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:08 pm

:shock: Am I correct in understanding that in MyGM this year I cannot:
adjust quarter lengths, play as many games as I want, load a custom draft class, and customize difficulty/slider settings?

2K seems to have outdone themselves this year. I thought the storyline MyGM from 18 and 19 was bad but this is... wow... This might have been the single biggest downgrade for a great mode that I've ever seen.
NewJerseyNets

Re: MyGM is looking like a hard pass this year

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:18 pm

Oof, that's rough for MyGM players.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby pistonnation on Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:56 pm

Are you kidding me?! Taking out more features that were JUST fine the way there were? I paid full price ($60) for a game that is missing key features that they have implemented for years!!
Detroit Pistons Fan Forever! ~pistonnation

pistonnation

Postby hedop on Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:23 pm

It became necessary to kill MyGM to save the mode.

Dudes you don't get it. They needed to monetize the mode completely. Hence why it's now fully online with leaderboards and such. So of course you can't adjust quarter time or use custom roster because that would mean you couldn't hit up the leaderboard and compare yourself to Harry from Bristol and Dikembe from Nigeria. That's really important you know?
hedop

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:35 pm

IMO MyGM wasnt necessary. MyLeague is Association successor.
MyGM is Myleague with useless things.
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:14 pm

MyLEAGUE's more my thing as it's got all the stuff I wished NBA Live's Dynasty had back in the day, but I understand how some franchise gamers prefer the challenges and scenarios of MyGM mode.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby NewJerseyNets on Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:57 pm

Andrew wrote:MyLEAGUE's more my thing as it's got all the stuff I wished NBA Live's Dynasty had back in the day, but I understand how some franchise gamers prefer the challenges and scenarios of MyGM mode.

This. My League is my go to as well but every now and again I enjoyed traditional MyGM's narrative structure. Things like talking to the press and interacting with your staff, 'governor, players, and other GM's are very realistic.

Not being able to get a trade done because the GM of the Bulls hates your guts is MyGM's strengths.
NewJerseyNets

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:04 am

NewJerseyNets wrote:Things like talking to the press and interacting with your staff, 'governor, players, and other GM's are very realistic.

Yeah, it's realistic but that what i call "useless things", unfortunately.
Because of the implementation, no real impact on your franchise. That's why i stay on MyLeague.
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:27 am

It depends what you want out of a franchise mode. I prefer the freedom of a sandbox approach, creating my own narrative while only worrying about what I want to worry about and playing multiple roles if I want, so MyGM isn't for me. However, I can also see the appeal to the concept, especially the challenge of having more restrictions.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby CatScooter on Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:48 am

yeah my heart broke this year with what they did to MyGM. I usually play a MyL save with multiple teams and run a MyGM save for single team. I probably have more game time in MyGM than in MyL- with that being said I've always enjoyed the RPG wrinkles of MyGM. I'd like to actually play through it but as the original post said the fact that you can't "adjust quarter lengths, play as many games as I want, load a custom draft class, and customize difficulty/slider settings?" really throws the quality of the experience in the gutter sadly. Why couldn't they let you pick from a classic MyGM mode and this MyGM2.0 thing like they did last year?? Really sad they rocked the boat with this... Reaaaaaallly hoping they fix that with some kind of patch.

Think they did the same thing last year or in 2k18 where you couldn't load a custom roster to a MyGM game. Would have to load up the roster file with the roster editor and then start a new MyGM and the roster file would be loaded before set up. Can't even do that this year.

:!: :!: :!: This might have been the single biggest downgrade for a great mode that I've ever seen. :!: :!: :!:

Offline MyGM players are the sacrificial lambs this year. :cry: lol
CatScooter

Postby NewJerseyNets on Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:08 am

Actually guys Limnono's tool has almost saved the mode. It let's you adjust sliders, minutes, difficulty and all that.

The only thing it doesn't let you do is edit staff names like the Modstar tool for 2k19 does and edit the draft classes.
NewJerseyNets

Postby hedop on Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:24 am

sticky-fingers wrote:IMO MyGM wasnt necessary. MyLeague is Association successor.

How about you stop spouting garbage? If you don't like the mode fine but please don't shit on a game mode a lot of people really enjoyed. Why do you think they changed course after 2k18 and brought back traditional MyGM without the storyline? Because people who actually played the mode rioted because they couldn't use custom rosters etc. making the mode useless. It came back properly in 2k19. Now it's fucked up again and if you check on OS there are quite a few people, including me, frothing at the mouth because of it. If you think the RPG elements are useless, suit yourself and fuck off. Sorry for the language but it really pisses me off. To me MyLeague isn't superior. It's a different game mode. I'm not on here shitting on it and I accept it exists and I hope that 2k take criticism of the guys who play it to heart and make it the best it can be. Same as MyGM.

It should be sad to everyone when a game mode is gutted and basically trashed or brought into the whole VC and online only bullshit. That's bad news for everyone because it means the game is moving into online all the fucking time and VC all the fucking time and the little nooks and crannys left are eliminated. So instead of shitting on people who enjoy it and the mode itself, which was a lot of fun, move your ass out of the thread and bother someone who gives a flying fuck about your opinion. If you didn't like the mode, then don't post in a thread that laments the loss of the mode.

NewJerseyNets wrote:Actually guys Limnono's tool has almost saved the mode. It let's you adjust sliders, minutes, difficulty and all that.

The only thing it doesn't let you do is edit staff names like the Modstar tool for 2k19 does and edit the draft classes.

It doesn't solve the Action Points problem though. If you spend too many you can't even play the game but have to skip it because it takes Action Points to play a game (I'm not kidding) plus it doesn't eliminate the need to have nearly 100% trust of certain staff to actually set up game plans, scout etc.
hedop

Postby NewJerseyNets on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:43 am

hedop wrote:
sticky-fingers wrote:IMO MyGM wasnt necessary. MyLeague is Association successor.

It doesn't solve the Action Points problem though. If you spend too many you can't even play the game but have to skip it because it takes Action Points to play a game (I'm not kidding) plus it doesn't eliminate the need to have nearly 100% trust of certain staff to actually set up game plans, scout etc.

I personally only complain about things that don't have a work-around. The AP thing has a strategic work-a-round. I'm still testing but if you set the MyGM to Easy at the start you gain XP super fast. Like one Skill Tree line filled out after a couple weeks fast. With 2 or 3 AP you can use game days to just set rotation and play the game. Do everything else on off days. It's not ideal I know, but it's workable.

Personally the no custom draft class and no custom roster things are the deal-breakers that I hope get patched.
NewJerseyNets

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:47 pm

Not being able to play a game due to the lack of Action Points seems unnecessarily restrictive. Sounds like that part of the concept needs tweaking, since that's coaching and gameplay more so than a GM task.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby hedop on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:08 pm

NewJerseyNets wrote:
hedop wrote:

I personally only complain about things that don't have a work-around. The AP thing has a strategic work-a-round. I'm still testing but if you set the MyGM to Easy at the start you gain XP super fast. Like one Skill Tree line filled out after a couple weeks fast. With 2 or 3 AP you can use game days to just set rotation and play the game. Do everything else on off days. It's not ideal I know, but it's workable.

Personally the no custom draft class and no custom roster things are the deal-breakers that I hope get patched.

A couple of weeks. That's the problem. Sure it's a workaround but still.
hedop

Postby KappaLambda on Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:35 pm

The problem with MyGM is that tahy try to make some things realistic, for example relationships but they are not. In reality you won't ever become an NBA GM without having a good CV and some relationships would already have been built with other GMs or Coaches. You can't start with a team and have morale, mood, and trust with every body in the team and with everybody in the league to a low medium level. You'll need to skip many games in order to chit chat with staff and players to get increase their trust. Then you go and play a game, and unless toy have EXCELLENT relationship with the coach you can't manually choose in-game play call! LOL!!! So for the first year, the AI will choose the play call. So MyGMs first year would be possibly be spent just to improve relationships. Very good idea of the skill tree etc, but in the end a very bad implementation of the mode. I don't know. Every year, 2K seems to do something to make us angry. Like they have placed a bet.
KappaLambda

Postby NewJerseyNets on Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:26 am

I powered through a full season + off season just to make sure that I don't like this mode. I don't

Like Andrew said there are a lot of restrictions that exist for restriction sake.

Some examples:

- In the offseason hoop summit you HAVE to play with Team USA. You can't pick Team World.

- I am not able to view the part of the calendar that shows/recaps all of a days games. To see results for other teams I have to scroll through social media posts. Pointless and unrealistic restriction.

- I can't look at Team Intel for MY own team. So I'm the GM but I can't know if we are rebuilding, buying, selling, or contending unless I am best friends with the scout. lol

- Obviously not being able to at least edit the appearance of prospects

- I cannot change anyone's position. Everyone is just at the position that 2K roster makers wants them to be.

- No injuries in the default roster means this mode is not realistic to play right now. John Wall, Cousins, Durant, Klay, Nurkic are all healthy and putting up big numbers from season 1.

MORE ISSUES CAUSED BY RESTRICTIONS:

- Whatever the default sliders are are ridiculous. After season 1 every team in the league's 10th man was at least a 78. LeBron gained 2 overall, Durant, Harden, Marc Gasol all progressed. Absolutely no one regressed outside of injuries.

- Everybody rated an 83 and up were looking to get paid 47-50 million per year in free agency. Brandon Ingram asked for 47 million coming off his rookie contract. Unless there is some rule change that I don't know about, this shouldn't be possible (not sure if this one's a bug).
NewJerseyNets

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:50 am

Not to be trite, but it's sounding like a case of good idea, bad execution when it comes to MyGM 2.0. Restrictions on the wrong things, and all that.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby WANKELL on Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:27 am

viewtopic.php?f=258&t=108024 search this post and you can do anything....change quarter length, difficulty etc
WANKELL

Return to NBA 2K20