Is Carmelo Anthony being blackballed?

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Is Carmelo Anthony being blackballed?

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:01 pm

More than a couple of analysts and players alike have expressed this sentiment. With Melo still looking for an NBA team to latch on to, it's been suggested that he's been blackballed by the league. Royce White, never one to shy away from giving his opinions, has even lashed out at LeBron James, saying that he should be using his influence to help his friend (be it encouraging the Lakers to sign him, or speaking out on his behalf). In the process, White also threw Jared Dudley under the bus, which was a bit uncool in my view.

So, are they right?

I guess there's merit to the suggestion. Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf and Craig Hodges both had their NBA careers cut short due to apparent blackballing, in their case due to their religious beliefs. Melo is a much higher profile player than either of them and there's no controversy with personal beliefs and whatnot, so it seems less likely. Still, there's obviously precedent. It's not completely inconceivable, and it's strange that he hasn't been snapped up by someone wanting to add some extra firepower (and a notable name at that).

At the same time, he's a sixteen year veteran who's on the downside of his career (though it should be noted he was an All-Star as recently as 2017) and hasn't proven to be a great fit with his last two teams. There have been questions about whether he's truly willing and able to accept a lesser role, or if he can be effective in said role. I have to believe if there is a problem then it's with his attitude, because there's no reason he can't still play in today's NBA. He has three-point range, and by the numbers, is just as effective as LeBron from downtown. Note that I'm not suggesting that he's playing at LeBron's level overall, but if he's incapable of playing in a three-point happy league, then by the numbers, LeBron would be as well (which he's obviously not). As far as being a four that can stretch the floor, that is absolutely something Melo could still be. With that in mind, attitude and soured relationships seem like more of a factor than an inability to play the modern game.

If it's his reputation (or perceived reputation) that precedes him, then I suppose that might quality as being blackballed. To that end, however, where do you draw the line between being blackballed and wearing out your welcome, or gaining a questionable reputation? If he has that reputation, then it didn't spring into existence out of nowhere. There's at least some responsibility on Melo's part. Also, when we look at some other stars who suddenly found themselves on the outside looking in, were they blackballed as well? Take Stephon Marbury, for instance. Was he blackballed after the 2009 season too, or were teams right to shy away from him given the controversy and questions about his attitude? As an aside, it's interesting that both he and Melo find themselves out of the league after falling out with Mike D'Antoni, though Marbury did have that short stint in Boston.

For my part, I'd like to see Melo go out on his own terms and have a proper last run in the NBA. He's been called overrated for most of his career, to the point where I believe he's actually slightly underrated, or if you prefer, underappreciated. In his prime, he was a great scorer who found some success when he had some good players around him, and excelled for the USA in international competition. I don't think he was ever The Guy as he believed himself to be and his teams wanted/need him to be, but he was still a star in his own right. If he is being blackballed throughout the league then that's a bit much, though at the same time, I think he also has to own some of that. There have been other stars who have been able to adjust to supporting roles, and he's been able to do himself with Team USA. It's a bit too undignified for his career to end this way, even if his best days are behind him.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Is Carmelo Anthony being blackballed?

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:11 pm

I think he's still can play (except defense :cheeky: ) but he's a victim of the evolution of the game (3pt and EFG%) conjugated to his state of mind (no a sixth man, no a sub, NBA or nothing).
sticky-fingers

Postby debiler on Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:17 pm

Though it is kinda sad that nobody seems to want to pick him up, I don't think it qualifies as blackballing. When a team decides not to pursue a player for professional reasons, no argument can be made against that. Carmelo is a type of player who needs (or better: claims to need) minutes and shots to be effective. Since no team can offer him the role he obviously demands for himself, he is still on the market. There's a reason why Vince Carter keeps coming back year after year - he has accepted that there are other ways to be effective than just on the court. I wouldn't necessarily attribute that mentor mindset to Carmelo.
Confucius say: "Man go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger."
debiler

Postby Jeffx on Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:04 am

sticky-fingers wrote:I think he's still can play (except defense :cheeky: ) but he's a victim of the evolution of the game (3pt and EFG%) conjugated to his state of mind (no a sixth man, no a sub, NBA or nothing).

I think it has more to do with his state of mind like you said.

I've always felt Carmelo (and his apologists) think he's better than he actually is.
Jeffx

Postby [Q] on Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:25 am

Jeffx wrote:
sticky-fingers wrote:I think he's still can play (except defense :cheeky: ) but he's a victim of the evolution of the game (3pt and EFG%) conjugated to his state of mind (no a sixth man, no a sub, NBA or nothing).

I think it has more to do with his state of mind like you said.

I've always felt Carmelo (and his apologists) think he's better than he actually is.

THIS.

I mean it's one thing to have Kaepernick, Tebow, and Eric Reid all blackballed in the NFL to different extents but the claim was the teams didn't want all the "distractions" and media circus they'd bring with them.

With Melo it's a case of him not being a good fit basketball wise because of his refusal to change his game, come off the bench, play defense, etc. I'm sure if he were open to not being the star, he'd be a productive veteran coming off the bench. He got his first taste of not being the star when he got hurt and Jeremy Lin stepped up. Melo obviously was not willing to give up the spotlight so he, Woodson, JR Smith and the other haters worked to bring Lin back down to earth and make it Melos team again
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jeffx on Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:22 am

It's so sickening reading the comments from the Carmelo apologists on social media, especially from dumbass New Yorkers who consider him an all-time Knick. These mfers actually put him on the level of Clyde, Willis, Pearl, BK & Patrick. WTF????? The 70s cats won championships...BK took a team of scrubs to seven games vs Bird's Celtics in 84.....with Patrick, Knicks were legit contenders for 11 years. He didn't win a title, but he led NY to two Finals, plus great rivalries with Chicago, Indiana, & Miami. WTF did Carmelo Anthony do here - one playoff series win. I'm supposed to consider him a great Knick because of that?

I'll never understand why so many young fans want to put Carmelo on LeBron's level, when it's not the case.
Jeffx

Postby [Q] on Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:01 am

I think the thing with Melo his whole career was his potential. He and his fans always thought he was better than he actually was and at a certain point, the potential (or him not fulfilling it) needs to be a legitimate knock on him
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Patr1ck on Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:17 am

Looks like he is going through something similar to what AI went through, but without all the extra media controversy of money and guns and alcohol. Now is the perfect time for him to go international for his last few years. Looking at his OKC/HOU role and stats, I think he's done as a starter.

The NBA loves stories and personalities that they can sell. They can't sell Carmelo's story unless he does something to change what "Carmelo Anthony" the "person" is perceived as by fans, media, teams, and the league.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:26 pm

If he could transition more smoothly into a supporting role, I believe there'd be more interest.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:51 pm

It seems that the Nets are close to sign him.
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:20 pm

Considering Durant is likely to be out for a while yet, that could be a good opportunity for him.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA & Basketball