OKC: Part III - Tough ending in Milwaukee

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: OKC: Part III - 2019 NBA Finals - Warriors vs 76ers

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:40 am

Fortunately a lot of the major moves have already gone down. I think the destination for Vince Carter's farewell tour might be the signing that I'm most interested in now. If he hasn't retired in your game and you're looking for a place to put him when you're sorting everything out, can I suggest the Raptors? I think that'd be a great story, and wouldn't mind seeing it happen in real life. A shame he couldn't have been part of the championship run last season.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:46 am

Spoke too soon. Looks like he's having one last season with the Hawks.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:08 pm

That would have been a cool idea. It's kind of interesting that Carter never went ring-chasing in his twilight years.

Speaking of farewell tours, I'm thinking about signing a certain veteran player to compensate for some of the scoring power that we've lost with Westbrook and George leaving.
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:15 pm

Interesting! Looking forward to that development.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:59 pm

3/6/19

Nowitzki and Wade headline 2019 NBA Retirements

April 10th, 2019.

For most people it was just another day like any other day. But for the NBA community it was the day that legends Dirk Nowitzki and Dwyane Wade both took to the court for the final time in their illustrious careers.

Nowitzki was named the Most Valuable Player in 2007 and spearheaded the Mavericks' run to their first-ever championship in 2011. His spectacular play in that series earned him the Finals MVP award. He was a 13-time all-star and made All-NBA teams twelve times.

A guy who entered the league as a skinny German kid leaves as one of the most respected professionals in it's history. Dirk literally changed the way the power forward position was played thanks to his shooting ability.

He finishes in 8th place all-time for scoring with nearly 32,000 points scored and also 26th overall for rebounding with nearly 12,000 rebounds.

Wade retires as a three-time NBA champion and twelve-time all-star. He lifted the Heat to their first-ever title in 2006 and was named Finals MVP. The likes of Shaquille O'Neal, LeBron James, Alonzo Mourning, Tim Hardaway and Chris Bosh were all stars for the Heat, but Wade will always be the face of the franchise.

He scored 22,883 career points, which places him 37th overall on the all-time scorers list, directly ahead of legends Clyde Drexler, Gary Payton and Larry Bird.

Most people will remember Tony Parker for the four titles that he won as part of the Spurs dynasty of the early 2000's era. So it is a shame that he spent the final year of his career playing for a 30-win Charlotte Hornets team. He was selected for six all-star games and was named the 2007 Finals MVP.

He finished with 19,865 career points and 7,260 assists, which puts him 49th and 14th respectively on the all-time lists.

Channing Frye was somewhat of a journeyman throughout his 15 years in the league. He played for the Knicks, Trail Blazers, Suns and Magic before joining the Cavaliers and helping them win their first ever title in 2016. He was traded to the Lakers in 2018 before later rejoining the Cavaliers again for his final season.

Darren Collison is the odd man out on this list for several reasons. Not just because he is only 31-years-old, or that he seemingly passed up tens of millions of dollars in potential salary. But because he quit basketball to focus on volunteer work as a Jehovah's Witness. Good luck to him.

Al Jefferson and Mirza Teletovic have both been out of the league for over a year and apparently forgot to let anyone know that they had indeed retired.

Several players in their late thirties have expressed interest in playing for at least one more season. These include Pau Gasol, Udonis Haslem, Tyson Chandler and Kyle Korver. Jose Calderon, Zach Randolph, Nene, Carmelo Anthony, Jamal Crawford and Raymond Felton are all expected to play on as well.

42-year-old Vince Carter looks set to play on again next season. He will become the first player in NBA history to play a 22nd season, passing Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Garnett, Robert Parish and Kevin Willis, who each played 21 seasons in the league.

If he plays in a game after January 1, 2020, he will be the first player in NBA history to play in four different decades. It is remarkable longevity, especially considering how much of a freakish athletic player he was during his peak years.

Notable 2019 Retirees

• Dirk Nowitzki - 21 Seasons
    (Dallas)

• Tony Parker - 18 Seasons
    (San Antonio, Charlotte)

• Dwyane Wade - 17 Seasons
    (Miami, Chicago, Cleveland, Miami)

• Channing Frye - 15 Seasons
    (New York, Portland, Phoenix, Orlando, Cleveland, LA Lakers, Cleveland)

• Darren Collison - 10 Seasons
    (New Orleans, Indiana, Dallas, LA Clippers, Sacramento, Indiana, Oklahoma City)
My Stories
Phil89

Re: OKC: Part III - 2019 Off-Season - Retirements

Postby Phil89 on Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:43 pm

8/6/19

2019 Draft Lottery & Draft Preview

From time to time the NBA likes to introduce changes to their procedures or rules. Sometimes they work out well and everyone likes them, and sometimes they are poorly received. The drawing of the draft lottery this year threatened to turn into a farce after newly implemented regulations created chaos.

For some reason the league extended the draw to the entire draft, rather than just the top 14 picks.

When the top prize up for grabs is the chance to draft a generational talent like Zion Williamson, who has been hyped as the biggest thing to hit the NBA since LeBron James, then you want to make sure that everything is done as fairly and transparently as possible so that you don't upset the teams.

The Phoenix Suns came into the draw with the best odds of landing the number one pick and were hopeful of being able to pair Zion with their two young stars, Devin Booker and DeAndre Ayton. They would have been set up with three very talented young players for the next decade. Instead, they dropped down to the 6th overall pick.

New Orleans on the other hand came in with the 10th-best odds, but they lucked into the 1st overall pick. A lot of fans find it very suspicious considering that their current star player Anthony Davis is set to leave after requesting a trade. It is reminiscent of when Cleveland won the lottery three times in the four years after LeBron left for Miami.

Boston had the chance to secure three top-ten picks, but the draw left them with pick 14 and 20. Their pick from Memphis was top-5 protected and was drawn as the second overall pick, so the Grizzlies retained it.

One league executive was visibly frustrated. "It's pretty ridiculous how this all turned out. Imagine bringing these changes in to such an important event without thoroughly tested them out first."

Another reflected on what the impact of missing out on a prospect like Zion would mean. "You gotta feel bad for the Suns. Apart from what Zion will do on the court, you gotta wonder how many tens of millions of dollars he will generate for his team over the next decade", he said.

Hopefully commissioner Adam Silver realises what a mess this has been and makes this a one time mistake.

NBA.com Final Mock - First Round

My Stories
Phil89

Re: OKC: Part III - 2019 Off-Season - Controversial draft lottery results

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:24 pm

Controversy!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:55 pm

Andrew wrote:Controversy!

I do feel bad for Phoenix. They could have had Ayton and Zion with the first overall picks in two successive drafts. Those two and Booker could have potentially formed a new dynasty.

My Stories
Phil89

Postby Phil89 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:08 pm

Is there any chance that the new OKC uniforms will be added to this game or is it too close to the release of 2k20 for them to bother?

Also, does imported player DNA count as a custom asset like the uniforms I downloaded on my previous game? I need to add some foreign players and some players who got randomly deleted from the game into free agency.
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:38 pm

It'd be an unprecedented move if they added upcoming season jerseys to an older game, so I'm guessing not.

I'm not sure of the situation with Player DNA. One way to test it would be to just start a second MyLEAGUE file and add players using the DNA functionality, exit the game, then restart it offline and try to fire up the test MyLEAGUE save. If you're not locked out of it with no connection to the server, it'll probably be fine when the server itself is eventually shut down.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:13 pm

13/6/19

Coaching changes announced ahead of the 2019-20 NBA season

With the NBA season officially over, a handful of teams have decided to shake up their coaching ranks. A couple of the fired coaches are unlucky, but most of the changes aren't too surprising.

The Los Angeles Lakers parted ways with head coach Luke Walton after three seasons. He led them to 40 wins and the 7th seed last season, their first playoff appearance of his tenure. But they disappointingly crashed out in just five games against Oklahoma City in the first round. Clearly it wasn't enough to convince general manager Rob Pelinka that he was the right man to lead them going forward.

Pelinka brought in former Indiana and Orlando head coach Frank Vogel to replace Walton. He has previously taken the Pacers to the conference finals on two occasions, only to be stopped by LeBron James' Miami team. It's ironic that he will now be calling plays for the former Cavaliers superstar.

Another coach who was seemingly unlucky to lose his job was Cleveland's Larry Drew. He initially took over as an interim head coach after Ty Lue was fired at the end of the 2018-19 season, but got the job full time and led the unfancied Cavaliers to an impressive 43 wins. Their celebrations at securing the 4th seed didn't last long though as Miami bundled them out in the first round of the playoffs in a six game series. Drew was let go despite the better than expected season.

Veteran college coach John Beilein was hired as his replacement. The 66-year-old spent twelve seasons with Michigan and has coached over 750 college wins during his career with his six teams.

Sacramento fired head coach Dave Joerger after they slumped to a 31 win season and the 15th seed. The Kings failed to make the playoffs during his three year tenure.

They replaced him with Luke Walton. Perhaps Vlade Divac sees him as the right person to develop the young talent on the roster after the job he did with the likes of Kyle Kuzma, Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball and Josh Hart at the Lakers.

Memphis similarly opted to make a change as they fired JB Bickerstaff after two seasons. He managed just 47 wins in the 145 games that he was in charge of, guiding them to the 13th seed last season. After he left Memphis he joined Cleveland as an assistant coach.

The Grizzlies took a gamble when replacing Bickerstaff. Milwaukee assistant Taylor Jenkins was chosen as the man to lead them through their rebuilding phase. It will be his first head coaching job at any level, having previously been an assistant with Atlanta and Milwaukee.

Igor Kokoskov's spell in charge of the Phoenix Suns lasted only one season after the rookie head coach only guided them to 20 wins and a bottom-placed finish in the western conference. He also wasted little time finding a new job as he joined Luke Walton as an assistant at the Kings.

Kokoskov was replaced by Philadelphia assistant coach Monty Williams. He has past experience coaching the New Orleans Pelicans and took them to the playoffs in two of his five seasons with them.

Minnesota promoted interim head coach Ryan Saunders to the job full time after an impressive season. He led them to 43 wins in the competitive western conference, but lost to Utah in the first round in six games. The son of legendary former coach Flip Saunders, he is the youngest coach in the NBA at just 33-years-old.

Philadelphia hired San Antonio assistant Ime Udoka to be Brett Brown's new right hand man, replacing the departed Williams.

San Antonio brought back franchise legend Tim Duncan to be Gregg Poppovich's assistant, possibly with a view to succeeding him in the future. He replaces Ime Udoku and veteran assistant Ettore Messina, the latter leaving to become head coach of Olimpia Milano in his native Italy.

Coaching changes

My Stories
Phil89

Postby Phil89 on Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:38 pm

Andrew wrote:It'd be an unprecedented move if they added upcoming season jerseys to an older game, so I'm guessing not.

I'm not sure of the situation with Player DNA. One way to test it would be to just start a second MyLEAGUE file and add players using the DNA functionality, exit the game, then restart it offline and try to fire up the test MyLEAGUE save. If you're not locked out of it with no connection to the server, it'll probably be fine when the server itself is eventually shut down.

I just tried that and the save file loaded whilst offline (Y)

After that worked I downloaded a team design just as a test and it also loaded whilst offline. So I'm slightly confused.

I hope the player DNA doesn't affect anything in the future because I think it's an absolutely brilliant feature. I've had to add in over 50 players to the free agency pool because of overseas players joining, some free agents randomly vanishing and also all the players with summer league contracts (just in case they get signed to guaranteed contracts).
My Stories
Phil89

Re: OKC: Part III - 2019 Off-Season - Coaching changes

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:53 pm

Good to hear! Perhaps they changed the system after NBA 2K17. They've done that with MyCAREER as well after the controversy following the NBA 2K14 server shutdown.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:57 pm

Hopefully it has been changed. I did notice that it took a lot longer to download and apply the team design than it did in 2k17, if that means anything? Maybe it saves files locally now or maybe my WiFi was just being slow :lol:

I would obviously like to add the new OKC uniforms, but also the new Houston uniforms and the new Warriors arena.
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:40 pm

Could be a good sign that it's downloading more content to store locally. Being able to access the save in offline mode is very promising.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:50 pm

21/6/19

2019 NBA Draft - Part One

Here comes NBA commissioner Adam Silver to begin proceedings.

"I'd like to welcome everyone to the 2019 NBA draft, including the young men sitting in this room hoping to see their dreams come true today, but also the millions watching this broadcast live around the world."

He then heads backstage as the clock starts ticking down for the New Orleans Pelicans. Who will they pick at number one?

-----

Pick 1
Image New Orleans Pelicans

The Pelicans are on the clock, but barely ten seconds passes before they make their pick. Here comes commissioner Silver to announce their selection.

"With the first pick of the 2019 NBA draft, the New Orleans Pelicans select..."

"Zion Williamson from Duke University."

Just as predicted, there was no way that the Pelicans could pass up on the Duke phenom.

Williamson has been the most talked about prospect since LeBron James entered the league in the 2003 draft. He is a truly unique athlete with his combination of explosive athleticism, speed and strength.

Some scouts have described him as a hybrid of Larry Johnson and Charles Barkley. It will be interesting to see how he adjusts to playing against grown men, as his size has always allowed him to dominate against kids his own age. He won't have as big of a physical advantage as he been used to throughout has career so far.

Things were looking bleak for the Pelicans heading into this summer, with superstar forward Anthony Davis set to be traded to the Lakers. But unexpectedly winning the draft lottery and having Zion land in their lap has really turned around the mood of the franchise.

Suddenly the future doesn't look so bad with Williamson on board, plus the haul they got from the Lakers for Davis. A young core of Zion, Brandon Ingram and Lonzo Ball could certainly be a playoff contender in a few years if everything goes well.

Williamson could also provide a massive financial boost off the court for the Pelicans. His brand of explosive dunking makes him incredibly popular with fans and there will surely be high demand for his jerseys.

2018-19 Stats: 22.6 PPG - 8.9 RPG - 2.1 APG - 2.1 SPG - 1.8 BPG

NBA Comparison: Charles Barkley

Fan Opinion: "Anthony who? We got a real star now with Mount Zion. League ain't ready for this man!"

-----

Pick 2
Image Memphis Grizzlies

The Memphis Grizzlies select Murray State point guard Ja Morant with the second overall pick.

In direct contrast to Williamson, Morant has largely flown under the radar for most of his college career. This is despite leading his Racers team in points and assists per game. In fact, he led the entire NCAA Division I in assists last season with 10 per game.

The 6'3" point guard plays with a lot of flair. He loves getting to the rim and dunking over opponents in the same fashion as Russell Westbrook and John Wall. His shooting and passing need some polishing, but that will come with time.

He joins a Grizzlies team that is in the midst of a big transition phase. The "Grit and Grind" era of Marc Gasol, Zach Randolph, Tony Allen and Mike Conley is over, with the first three having left Memphis. The selection of Morant seems to suggest that Conley will now follow them as Memphis have secured his long-term replacement.

The Grizzlies will be handing the keys to the franchise over to Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr and hoping that they can both develop into all-stars and lead the team to glory.

2018-19 Stats: 24.5 PPG - 5.7 RPG - 10.0 APG - 1.8 SPG

NBA Comparison: De'Aaron Fox

Fan Opinion: "I love this pick! This kid is gonna be an all-star one day. Our future is coming together nicely."

-----

Pick 3
Image New York Knicks

The Knicks select Zion's Duke teammate RJ Barrett with the third overall pick.

Barrett came into the college season with the same amount of hype as Zion. He even performed to a similar level as the forward - matching him in points, nearly matching him in rebounds and besting him in assists. Yet he found himself relegated to third in the draft rankings by the end of the season.

He is a good size for a guard and the best natural scorer in the draft. Stopping him from getting to the rim is quite a tough task as he is quick and possesses great finishing at the rim. His long arms give him the potential to one day be a good defender, but he'll need to be willing to put in the work to improve in that area.

Barrett joins a decent young core in New York with Dennis Smith Jr, Kevin Knox and Mitchell Robinson.

The Knicks went all-in on this off-season by trading away star Kristaps Porzingis to clear out cap room to sign at least two max-level free agents. They wanted to draft Zion and then sign Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving in free agency. Durant getting injured was the first setback to that plan, followed by not winning the lottery and missing out on Zion as a result.

But if they can add Durant and Kyrie to their team in free agency, then the Knicks could easily find themselves back in the playoffs next season. Even if Durant misses the entire season.

2018-19 Stats: 22.6 PPG - 7.6 RPG - 4.3 APG

NBA Comparison: DeMar DeRozan

Fan Opinion: "Boooooooooooooooooooo! We deserved Zion, not this bum. At least we have Durant and Kyrie coming soon."

-----

Pick 4
Image Atlanta Hawks

The fourth pick is with Atlanta and they use it on Virginia forward De’Andre Hunter.

The consensus about this draft class was that after the top three of Williamson, Morant and Barrett there were up to a dozen players who could have gone from picks 4-10. The Hawks went with Hunter.

He isn't a great scorer or passer. He isn't particularly quick either, but he has a quality that all great NBA players need. He is a winner. His mental strength to simply will his team to victory is a massive asset and should see him become a leader on this young Hawks team from day one.

Virginia won the NCAA tournament largely thanks to Hunter. He posted 27 points and 9 rebounds in the championship game, which they won in overtime 85-77. Hunter had hit a game-tying three point shot with 12 seconds left in regulation to send it to overtime.

Hunter has drawn some comparisons to Raptors superstar Kawhi Leonard thanks to his size and remarkable defensive versatility. He can competently defend any position from point guard to power forward, if needed.

Atlanta are building a very nice young core. Hunter joins Trae Young, John Collins and Kevin Huerter as a key piece of their rebuild. They also have pick 10 which they could use to add some more shooting depth to their roster, perhaps with Cam Reddish or Tyler Herro.

(This pick will be made by the Lakers, but is part of the Anthony Davis trade and will be sent to New Orleans. The Pelicans then agreed a trade to send picks #4 and #57 to Atlanta for picks #8, #17 and #35)

2018-19 Stats: 15.2 PPG - 5.1 RPG - 2.0 APG

NBA Comparison: Trevor Ariza

Fan Opinion: "He's not flashy like Zion, but this guy is really solid. I really like how Schlenk is putting these pieces together."

-----

Pick 5
Image Cleveland Cavaliers

Cleveland take Vanderbilt point guard Darius Garland with the fifth overall pick. A strange choice given the strong season that rookie guard Collin Sexton just had for them.

Garland is an intriguing prospect, if not a gamble for the Cavaliers. He has great dribbling technique and can get his own shot from anywhere on the court. He doesn't always need the ball in his hands to be effective and is quite good at finding space to free himself to launch from downtown.

One big concern about him though is his physical strength. He has a small frame and at only 175 lbs he will find it difficult to defend veteran NBA guards. That should improve over time though if he puts the work in at the gym.

Cleveland likely took Garland as the best player available because of the lack of young prospects on their roster. It will be up to new head coach John Beilein to figure out whether he and Sexton can actually play together.

The Cavs already have have Houston's pick at #26, but ESPN reporter Adrian Wojnarowski is suggesting that they are also trying to trade in another late first rounder in order to add more talent to their team.

2018-19 Stats: 16.2 PPG - 3.8 RPG - 2.6 APG

NBA Comparison: Damian Lillard

Fan Opinion: "Wait, we already have Sexton. Why not take Culver or Reddish with this pick?"

-----

Pick 6
Image Minnesota Timberwolves

With the sixth overall pick the Minnesota Timberwolves select Texas Tech shooting guard Jarrett Culver.

Culver helped his team reach the NCAA Championship Game, but they fell to De'Andre Hunter's Virginia team. It wasn't a great moment for Culver as Hunter completely shut him down and held him to just 15 points on 5-of-22 shooting.

But one bad game doesn't override everything good that he had done over the course of the whole season. Despite averaging 18.5 points per game, it's clear that Culver prefers the defensive side of the game to scoring. He will do well on a team where he isn't required to be the first or second option on offense.

He could find himself in just that situation as he joins a Timberwolves team built around Karl-Anthony Towns and Andrew Wiggins. They put up a decent fight against Utah in the first round of the playoffs, but it will be interesting to see if trading Saric for Culver will improve them or not.

(This pick will be made by the Suns, but will be sent to Minnesota. The Suns agreed to trade pick #6 to Minnesota for pick #11 and Dario Saric)

2018-19 Stats: 18.5 PPG - 6.4 RPG - 3.7 APG

NBA Comparison: Paul George

Fan Opinion: "If Derrick Rose is leaving we really should have taken Coby White with this pick. Culver has some nice upside though."

-----

Pick 7
Image Chicago Bulls

The Chicago Bulls select North Carolina point guard Coby White with the seventh overall pick. Hopefully they aren't expecting him to turn out like that other North Carolina guard they drafted a while back.

White will certainly add an entertainment factor to the Bulls' offense. He is excellent in transition and has a flair for making creative plays. Unfortunately that does lead to him having numerous turnovers every game. If he can work that out he has the potential to be a good playmaker at NBA level.

He also isn't a strong defender at this point of his career, which is something he will definitely need to work on. It is going to be a steep learning curve as he faces players like Kyrie Irving, Kyle Lowry and Kemba Walker in the Eastern conference on a nightly basis.

Chicago are adding White to a core consisting of Otto Porter Jr, Lauri Markkanen, Zach LaVine, Kris Dunn and Wendell Carter Jr. Whilst certainly not a championship contender, surely that group can improve on the 32 wins they just managed. Playoffs have to be the goal if they want to satisfy their passionate fans.

2018-19 Stats: 16.1 PPG - 3.5 RPG - 4.1 APG - 1.1 SPG

NBA Comparison: Gilbert Arenas

Fan Opinion: "Everyone that I wanted us to pick was already off the board. I don't know much about this kid, but his highlights look decent. Hopefully he pans out for us."

-----

Pick 8

The New Orleans Pelicans make their second pick inside the top ten by taking Texas big man Jaxson Hayes with the eighth overall pick.

The seven-footer is a walking highlight reel on offense thanks to his spectacular dunks, but his main strength is his defensive work. He is a terrific shot-blocker thanks to his size and his ability to get into the right position at the right time.

It's actually pretty amazing the amount of athleticism that Williamson and Hayes possess. Jrue Holiday will have a lot of fun throwing lobs up for them to finish. It'll be the Lob City Clippers all over again.

Losing a player the quality of Anthony Davis is tough on any team. The Pelicans have come out of the situation better than most people expected though. Adding Zion Williamson and Jaxson Hayes makes their frontcourt look really nice for the future.

They still have pick 17 which they can use to add some backcourt depth. Perhaps Tyler Herro, Nickeil Alexander-Walker or Cameron Johnson could be an option at that spot if still available.

(This pick will be made by the Hawks, but will be sent to New Orleans. The Pelicans agreed to trade picks #4 and #57 to Atlanta for picks #8, #17 and #35)

2018-19 Stats: 10.0 PPG - 5.0 RPG - 2.2 BPG

NBA Comparison: Jarrett Allen

Fan Opinion: "I think David Griffin is nailing this draft. Zion was an obvious pick, but trading down to add another top 20 pick and still getting Hayes is brilliant."

-----

Pick 9
Image Washington Wizards

Washington use the ninth overall pick to select Gonzaga forward Rui Hachimura. He is only the second Japanese-born player to be drafted into the NBA.

Hachimura's size makes him one of the most NBA-ready players in this draft. He is big and strong and that allows him to get to the basket whenever he wants. That should translate well at the top level. He has long arms and big hands which could allow him to become a strong defensive player in the future.

As excited as Washington will be to add Hachimura to their team, their plans for next season look pretty shaky right now as all-star point guard John Wall will likely miss most of the season with a ruptured left Achilles tendon.

The futures of key players Bobby Portis, Jabari Parker, Jeff Green, Dwight Howard, Trevor Ariza, Tomas Satoransky and Thomas Bryant are all up in the air as well. All of them could become free agents next month and the Wizards cap situation likely means that some of them won't be returning next season.

Another bonus of drafting Hachimura is that the Wizards will likely become the most popular team in his native Japan. It could be a similar phenomenon to how the Rockets became "China's team" when Yao Ming played for them.

2018-19 Stats: 19.7 PPG - 6.5 RPG - 1.5 APG

NBA Comparison: Antawn Jamison

Fan Opinion: "This is an interesting pick. He looks ready to go from day one, so hopefully he can help Beal cover for the loss of Wall."

-----

Pick 10
Image Atlanta Hawks

Atlanta round out the top ten with their second pick of the draft. They take Duke wing Cam Reddish with the tenth pick.

Reddish spent most of the season as a third wheel to Zion Williamson and RJ Barrett at Duke. But he has a lot of talent and probably would have been taken earlier if he had been the 'main guy' on his own team.

He has the size of a modern day power forward, but prefers to play around the perimeter. Launching up three pointers at a decent percentage and showing glimpses of elite perimeter defense have been the hallmarks of his game.

The main concern scouts have had about him is his consistency on offense. He has a funny knack of making difficult shots from deep, but then missing much simpler ones from inside the arc.

Atlanta kind of lost their way after winning 60 games and securing the number one seed in 2015. The veterans of that team are all gone - Al Horford, Jeff Teague, Kyle Korver, Paul Millsap and DeMarre Carroll. But over the past few drafts they have collected some really nice young talent.

This Summer could be very interesting because the Hawks will also have a lot of cap room to work with. Could they try and sign a star player to compliment their young core or will they simply use it to take on bad contracts from other teams whilst gaining more draft picks?

2018-19 Stats: 13.5 PPG - 3.7 RPG - 1.9 APG - 1.6 SPG

NBA Comparison: Rudy Gay

Fan Opinion: "Hunter and Reddish? I like it. Our young core is gonna dominate the league in a few years!"

-----

Pick 11
Image Phoenix Suns

Wow! After trading down from pick 6 to pick 11, the Phoenix Suns pull a shock move by selecting North Carolina sharpshooter Cameron Johnson.

This is a puzzling decision given that most analysts had him going late in the first round due to his health concerns and his age. He turned 23 in March and is actually a full seven months older than Suns star Devin Booker.

The biggest concern about Johnson is his injury history. During his five years of college he has already been through knee and hip surgeries, which is a worry for a guy who wasn't a great athlete to begin with.

On the positive side of things Johnson is probably the best shooter in this draft. He is deadly from the perimeter with his highly-efficient shot. He is also a very solid defender and his size should allow him to become a good wing defender in the NBA.

Even though Phoenix fans will be feeling disappointed with this pick, they should remember that this is a shooter's league now and you can never have enough firepower on your roster.

(This pick will be made by the Timberwolves, but will be sent to Phoenix. The Suns agreed to trade pick #6 to Minnesota for pick #11 and Dario Saric)

2018-19 Stats: 16.9 PPG - 5.8 RPG - 2.4 APG - 1.2 SPG

NBA Comparison: Doug McDermott

Fan Opinion: "Really? We traded the 6th pick for Saric and this guy? We could've got Coby White and solved our PG issues. Ugh.."

-----

Pick 12
Image Charlotte Hornets

With the twelfth pick the Charlotte Hornets select forward PJ Washington from Kentucky.

Washington looks like he could be an excellent small-ball four in the modern NBA. He can stretch the floor with his shooting and can also guard multiple positions on defense. Whilst he struggles to create his own shot, he is a very efficient shooter.

Despite being undersized for the power forward position he is an excellent rebounder thanks to his long arms. Overall though he isn't a gifted athlete and his lack of size puts him in an awkward position. He isn't big enough to play power forward and he is not skilled enough to play small forward.

The Hornets were in desperate need of reinforcement at the power forward position after relying on Marvin Williams and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist for most of last season. Washington is supposedly one of the most NBA ready prospects in this draft and should be able to contribute from day one.

2018-19 Stats: 15.2 PPG - 7.6 RPG - 1.8 APG - 1.2 BPG

NBA Comparison: Carl Landry

Fan Opinion: "I was hoping we would pick Nassir Little, but I guess this guy is a good prospect too."

-----

Pick 13
Image Miami Heat

Miami make it two Kentucky players in a row by selecting Wildcats sharpshooter Tyler Herro with the thirteenth overall pick.

Herro enters the league with a reputation as one of the best shooters in college last season. He has been getting compared to veteran JJ Redick thanks to his ability to hit contested three point shots off the dribble and in catch-and-shoot situations.

Heat legend Dwyane Wade recently called time on his illustrious career and it would be unfair to expect Herro to replace him, but he is a quality pick up who can somewhat fill the void that Wade has left on the team.

After the high-flying years of LeBron, Wade and Bosh during the early part of this decade, the Heat are now a middle-of-the-road team in the eastern conference. But they are building a decent young core around Bam Adebayo, Justise Winslow, Derrick Jones Jr and now Herro.

You can never write-off Pat Riley in the free agency market either. Expect them to be challenging again sooner rather than later.

2018-19 Stats: 14.0 PPG - 4.5 RPG - 2.5 APG - 1.1 SPG

NBA Comparison: JJ Redick

Fan Opinion: "I like this selection. You can never have enough quality shooters."

-----

Pick 14
Image Boston Celtics

The Boston Celtics round out the lottery selections by taking Indiana shooting guard Romeo Langford with the fourteenth pick.

Boston surprisingly took the one seed in the Eastern conference last season after winning 59 games, but ultimately fell to the eventual champions Philadelphia in the conference finals.

Now there is talk that their two most important players, Kyrie Irving and Al Horford, are set to leave via free agency. It makes sense then that they pick up a guy who is the second best natural scorer in this draft after RJ Barrett.

The future in Boston is going to be built around Jayson Tatum. But he will need help carrying the scoring load, especially if Kyrie leaves. Langford has the ability to be a solid second option for the Celtics. He is very capable of creating offense for himself and his teammates off the dribble.

He could even find himself as the primary ball-handler for the Celtics if Kyrie does indeed depart. That would definitely suit him and would allow him to have a big impact in his rookie season.

2018-19 Stats: 16.5 PPG - 5.4 RPG - 2.3 APG

NBA Comparison: Evan Turner

Fan Opinion: "I think we have the best young wings in the league now with Tatum, Brown and Langford. I hope Kyrie and Al stay."

-----

Pick 15
Image Detroit Pistons

With the fifteenth overall pick the Detroit Pistons select French forward Sekou Doumbouya.

The Pistons are the ones to take the gamble on the extremely raw international prospect. They must have faith that they can develop him into more of a Giannis Antetokounmpo type player than a Dragan Bender type bust.

At just 18 years of age, Doumbouya is one of the youngest players who declared for this draft. Despite this, he already has three seasons of playing professionally in France and was the star player for France as a 16-year-old as they won the 2016 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship gold medal.

His size and strength at his age give him the tools to be a good defender in the future and he can guard multiple positions. His offensive game is probably his biggest weakness because of it's severe lack of polish. He is going to have to work really hard to improve that area of his game if he wants to be a scoring threat for his team.

Nobody predicted that Giannis would become a star when he entered the league. So who's to say that this kid can't follow a similar path? Pistons fans surely won't miss the fact that they were both taken with pick 15.

2018-19 Stats: 6.9 PPG - 2.8 RPG

NBA Comparison: Pascal Siakam

Fan Opinion: "I can honestly say that I've never heard of this kid. He looks very raw, but the potential is there."
My Stories
Phil89

Re: OKC: Part III - 2019 Draft: Part One

Postby Phil89 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:48 pm

21/6/19

2019 NBA Draft - Part Two

-----

Pick 16
Image Orlando Magic

The Orlando Magic select Auburn forward Chuma Okeke with the sixteenth overall pick.

This is a very surprising selection by the Magic due to his current injury status. Okeke suffered a torn ACL in his left knee during the Tigers' Sweet 16 victory over North Carolina on March 29, which dropped his draft stock dramatically. He went from a potential top ten pick to perhaps a gamble in the second round.

Orlando weren't deterred by Okeke's injury due to his long-term potential and the likelihood of him making a full recovery.

Thanks to his 7'1" wingspan and defensive versatility, Okeke regularly found himself playing defense against both guards and big men. It seems to be a trait that the Magic value as they have also drafted both Mo Bamba and Jonathan Isaac in the lottery in recent years.

It remains to be seen how Orlando handle this situation They may opt to delay signing him to a rookie deal and instead have him play for their G-League affiliate for a season whilst he recovers. That way they don't waste a year of his contract and still get to monitor his progress at their facilities.

2018-19 Stats: 12.0 PPG - 6.8 RPG - 1.9 APG - 1.8 SPG - 1.2 BPG

NBA Comparison: Robert Horry

Fan Opinion: "I hope we didn't just waste this pick on an injured kid. Will he even play next season?"

-----

Pick 17

The New Orleans Pelicans select Virginia Tech guard Nickeil Alexander-Walker with the seventeen overall pick. It's their third pick of the draft so far, after taking Zion Williamson and Jaxson Hayes.

Alexander-Walker is a cousin of LA Clippers point guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. The pair played together at high school in Tennessee and even shared a room whilst they lived with their coach.

As a tall combo guard he is a very solid player at both ends of the court. Defensively he can guard both backcourt positions thanks to his size and athleticism. He can be a bit passive on offense at times, but he has good playmaking abilities and is a decent shooter. If he is smart he will shadow Jrue Holiday for the next few years and learn how to master his role.

New Orleans will walk away from this draft very pleased with their haul of talent. Their roster is looking pretty solid in every position now.

(This pick will be made by the Hawks, but will be sent to New Orleans. The Pelicans agreed to trade picks #4 and #57 to Atlanta for picks #8, #17 and #35)

2018-19 Stats: 16.2 PPG - 4.1 RPG - 4.0 APG - 1.9 SPG

NBA Comparison: George Hill

Fan Opinion: "If he is anything like his cousin, we've got a good one here."

-----

Pick 18
Image Indiana Pacers

The eighteenth pick is with Indiana and they use it on Georgian center Goga Bitadze.

This is an interesting selection by the Pacers. Not because Bitadze isn't a good prospect, but because they already have Myles Turner solidified as their starting center. Perhaps they just felt that he was the best player available out of those still on the board.

Bitadze has big potential to become the next Marc Gasol. He is an excellent shot-blocker and rebounder, but he also has shown great touch inside the paint on offense. He also possesses a decent outside shot for a player of his size.

The upside is very clear to see. Having the strength and motor that he does at just 19-years-old is a good sign for his future. He will need to work on his fitness levels though because he will get found out by the speed of play in the NBA as he adjusts.

2018-19 Stats: 12.1 PPG - 6.4 RPG - 1.2 APG - 2.3 BPG

NBA Comparison: Jusuf Nurkic

Fan Opinion: "Nassir Little was still available and we take some Euro big? Oof."

-----

Pick 19
Image San Antonio Spurs

The San Antonio Spurs select Croatian forward Luka Samanic with the nineteenth overall pick. Is he the latest international player that the Spurs will turn into a star?

19-year-old Samanic is a stereotypical modern big man, with a very good shot and plenty of skill for someone his size. He lacks the strength to engage with opponents in the paint, but is a solid rebounder nonetheless.

A slight concern is his tendency to become passive on offense for spells during games. If he is having an inconsistent shooting night he can go into his shell. No doubt he will have to learn be more assertive if he wants Spurs coach Gregg Popovich to give him minutes.

Samanic could well be the long-term replacement for big man LaMarcus Aldridge. The former all-star will turn 34 in less than a month and is entering the final guaranteed year of his contract.

2018-19 Stats: 6.0 PPG - 3.6 RPG

NBA Comparison: Nikola Mirotic

Fan Opinion: "I trust RC's judgement here. And Pop can make him a star!"

-----

Pick 20
Image Philadelphia 76ers

Philadelphia traded up to the twentieth pick and they use it to select Washington defensive specialist Matisse Thybulle.

Thybulle is unquestionably the best perimeter defender in this draft. He led NCAA Division I in steals last season with an impressive 3.5 per game. He was named both Naismith Defensive Player of the Year and the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, the latter for the second season in a row.

He will probably never be a dangerous offensive weapon, but he could very well develop into a player who takes on the opposition's top perimeter player every night. Guys like that are so valuable in the NBA.

The reigning champions could become an elite defensive team with Joel Embiid covering the paint, Thybulle patrolling the perimeter and 6'10" Ben Simmons smothering his opposing point guard.

(This pick will be made by the Celtics, but will be sent to Philadelphia. The 76ers agreed to trade picks #24 and #33 to Boston for pick #20)

2018-19 Stats: 9.1 PPG - 3.1 RPG - 2.1 APG - 3.5 SPG - 2.3 BPG

NBA Comparison: Thabo Sefolosha

Fan Opinion: "He certainly looks like the type of player that every team would love to have. Hope he develops an offensive game to match his defense."

-----

Pick 21
Image Memphis Grizzlies

Memphis moved up two spots after agreeing a trade with Oklahoma City. They select Gonzaga forward Brandon Clarke with the twenty-first overall pick.

Clarke is a mature prospect who will turn 23 in September. This is an interesting pick by the Grizzlies as they already have Jaren Jackson Jr looking like a future star at the power forward position for them.

Whilst Clarke may not project to be an all-star, he does provide something that the young Grizzlies need: effort and high basketball IQ. He is a tenacious and versatile defender who brings great energy on the court. The type of player who teammates love having on their side.

He can struggle on offense at times, but he does have a really smooth mid-range shot. His perimeter shooting is a work in progress and will need to improve if he wants to be a more effective scorer.

(This pick will be made by the Thunder, but will be sent to Memphis. The Grizzlies agreed to trade pick #23 and a 2024 second rounder to Oklahoma City for pick #21)

2018-19 Stats: 16.9 PPG - 8.6 RPG - 1.9 APG - 1.2 SPG - 3.1 BPG

NBA Comparison: Jordan Bell

Fan Opinion: "I'm not sure about this pick. We really could have used a wing scorer. Nassir Little would have been a better choice, I think."

-----

Pick 22
Image Boston Celtics

Boston make their second selection of the draft at number twenty-two by taking Tennessee forward Grant Williams.

Williams was a 2019 consensus first-team All-American and was also voted the SEC Player of the Year by coaches and the media. In some ways it is strange that he fell this far in the draft.

A lot of scouts have said that Williams could be the smartest player in this draft. He often makes the correct decision on offense, whether that is to finish in the paint himself or to kick the ball out to an teammate for an open shot.

His lack of size and length may hamper his ability to play power forward in the NBA. He will definitely need to rely on his craftiness to be able to score against bigger opponents.

2018-19 Stats: 18.8 PPG - 7.5 RPG - 3.2 APG - 1.1 SPG - 1.5 BPG

NBA Comparison: Boris Diaw

Fan Opinion: "I love this. This kid will thrive in Brad Stevens' system."

-----

Pick 23
Image Oklahoma City Thunder

Western conference finalists Oklahoma City make their first pick at number twenty-three after trading down. They select high school forward Darius Bazley.

Bazley is a great unknown in this draft after he chose to skip college to instead train on his own for the season. He then made headlines by accepting a three-month internship at New Balance worth $1 million, organized by his agent Rich Paul.

The 19-year-old looks to be a typical Sam Presti player. He is super athletic and lacks a polished offensive game, just like Terrance Ferguson and Hamidou Diallo. It's strange that he didn't go for a shooter like Dylan Windler or Kevin Porter Jr.

Bazley has the assets to be a good defender, but will need to really work on his shooting if he wants to become a decent scorer in the NBA. The fact that he is a great athlete helps him guard multiple positions and his size makes him a solid rim protector.

The Thunder won 65 games and pushed the Warriors to game six in the conference finals last season. It will be interesting to see how they build on that this off-season.

(This pick will be made by the Jazz, but is part of the Mike Conley trade and will be sent to Memphis. The Grizzlies then agreed a trade to send pick #23 and a 2024 second rounder to Oklahoma City for pick #21)

2018-19 Stats: N/A

NBA Comparison: Tayshaun Prince

Fan Opinion: "I'm not sure about this. We're so close to getting a championship and this kid looks very raw."

-----

Pick 24
Image Phoenix Suns

Phoenix make their second selection of the draft by taking Virginia point guard Ty Jerome with the twenty-fourth overall pick.

The Suns desperately need a point guard to run their offense and take some of the offensive burden from star Devin Booker. Jerome helped lead Virginia to the NCAA championship this year and looks like a very solid playmaker.

His size allows him to operate effectively in the paint, whilst his above average shooting also makes him a threat from the perimeter. He isn't super quick or a great athlete, but he is very smart and makes good decisions with ball in hand.

Phoenix may still look to try and sign someone like D'Angelo Russell in free agency, but having Jerome is a nice fallback option.

(This pick will be made by the 76ers, but is part of a trade will be sent to Boston. The Celtics then agreed to trade pick #24 and Aron Baynes to Phoenix for a 2020 first rounder)

2018-19 Stats: 13.6 PPG - 4.2 RPG - 5.5 APG - 1.5 SPG

NBA Comparison: Jose Calderon

Fan Opinion: "This guy isn't a flashy star, but he is mature and can run the offense. A solid backup at worst."

-----

Pick 25
Image Portland Trail Blazers

With the twenty-fifth selection the Portland Trail Blazers pick North Carolina forward Nassir Little, finally ending his agonising wait in the green room.

The Blazers may have just picked up a perfect player to play alongside star duo Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum. Little is a defensive weapon and should compliment his new teammates offensively-minded tendencies.

Many experts had Little going within the first ten picks, but somehow he just kept on sliding down the draft board. His offensive game is still quite raw and that probably hurt him, especially given how highly valued shooting is in the NBA these days.

It may take him a season or two to get his shooting up to scratch, but in the meantime his athleticism and NBA-ready body should allow him to find different ways to score.

2018-19 Stats: 9.8 PPG - 4.6 RPG

NBA Comparison: Gerald Wallace

Fan Opinion: "I can't believe he fell all the way to our pick. Hopefully the other teams don't know something about him that I don't!"

-----

Pick 26

The Cleveland Cavaliers select wing scorer Dylan Windler out of Belmont with the twenty-sixth overall pick.

Windler is an extremely efficient scorer and one of the top shooters in this draft. He is also a great rebounder for his position, who shows great hustle on the boards. On offense he is smart with the ball and rarely turns it over.

He will turn 23 before the start of the new season and this is probably one of the main things that held him back from being taken earlier in the draft. Also the fact that he didn't have to face much high-level competition playing in the Ohio Valley conference.

Cleveland are shunning a rebuild and will be aiming to make the playoffs again next season. Windler could be a key role player player for them if he replicates his college form on the NBA stage.

2018-19 Stats: 21.3 PPG - 10.8 RPG - 2.5 APG - 1.4 SPG

NBA Comparison: Bojan Bogdanovic

Fan Opinion: "We need shooters and this kid looks to have a good stroke."

-----

Pick 27
Image Los Angeles Clippers

The Los Angeles Clippers select Florida State big man Mfiondu Kabengele with the twenty-seventh overall pick.

Kabengele is the type of high energy bench guy that every team needs. Primarily a defensive player with his rim protecting, he is also a strong finisher in the paint on offense. He has shown glimpses of outside shooting ability, but it is an area of his game that still needs work.

The Clippers are gearing up for a massive off-season, supposedly targeting star free agents Kawhi Leonard and Kevin Durant. They already have a very solid group of role players and Kabengele just adds to that. They could be a real threat if they land any of their free agency targets.

(This pick will be made by the Nets, but will be sent to Los Angeles. The Clippers agreed to trade pick #56 and a 2020 first rounder to Brooklyn for pick #27)

2018-19 Stats: 13.2 PPG - 5.9 RPG - 1.5 BPG

NBA Comparison: Serge Ibaka

Fan Opinion: "This looks like a handy pick up. Our defense could be amazing next season if Kawhi joins."

-----

Pick 28
Image Golden State Warriors

Golden State use pick twenty-eight to select Michigan shooting guard Jordan Poole.

The Warriors are coming off a shock loss in the NBA finals against Philadelphia and are expected to lose at least two key players and several role players in free agency. It's hard to see how a late first round pick will be able to cover their losses.

Poole is an intriguing offensive prospect. Last season he was able to create his own shots off the dribble and get by defenders to finish at the rim. He is a solid ball-handler and has some crafty moves which should help him create space in the NBA.

Golden State will be missing all-star Klay Thompson for most, if not all, of next season. There could be a great opportunity for Poole to get extended minutes alongside Stephen Curry and learn some valuable lessons from one of the best guards in league history.

2018-19 Stats: 12.8 PPG - 3.0 RPG - 2.2 APG - 1.1 SPG

NBA Comparison: Wayne Ellington

Fan Opinion: "Who cares about the draft? We're about to lose KD and Cousins. How can we cope with only three all-stars?"

-----

Pick 29
Image San Antonio Spurs

San Antonio use their second selection of the first round to pick Kentucky wing Keldon Johnson at pick twenty-nine.

It makes sense for them to take a perimeter player after using pick nineteen on big man Luka Samanic. Also, with Jakob Poeltl at center and Dejounte Murray at point guard, taking a wing player with this pick is the sensible option.

Johnson has the potential to turn into a really good NBA scorer. He has great offensive versatility and is equally comfortable finishing through contact at the rim or shooting from outside. His shot looks solid and he could easily become a great shooter in the future if he keeps working at it.

His size, quickness and athleticism allow him to guard multiple positions at a high level. He projects to be a very solid 3-and-D guy in the NBA and should relish playing in the Spurs system.

2018-19 Stats: 13.5 PPG - 5.9 RPG - 1.6 APG

NBA Comparison: TJ Warren

Fan Opinion: "I watched a lot of this guy at Kentucky. He is a very consistent player and should do well in our system."

-----

Pick 30

To close out the first round of the 2019 draft, the Cavaliers use their third selection to take USC guard Kevin Porter Jr at pick thirty.

Porter Jr is a great athlete who is a lot for opponents to handle. If you allow him to run the floor and attack the rim then he is capable of taking over games. His potential is very good thanks to his size, athleticism and the fact that he only just turned 19 in May.

Two key areas that he needs to improve in are his defensive effort and his outside shooting. Far too often he has been caught ball-watching and there are times where he outright looks disinterested in trying to stop his opponent on defense.

Hopefully new Cavaliers coach John Beilein can get him to buy in to working hard because he could be something special in the NBA.

(This pick will be made by the Bucks, but is part of a trade will be sent to Detroit. The Pistons then agreed to trade pick #30 to Cleveland for a 2020 second rounder, 2021 second rounder, 2023 second rounder, 2024 second rounder and cash considerations)

2018-19 Stats: 9.5 PPG - 4.0 RPG - 1.4 APG

NBA Comparison: OJ Mayo

Fan Opinion: "I like that we traded for this pick. We need all the young talent we can get on this team."
My Stories
Phil89

Re: OKC: Part III - 2019 Draft: Part Two

Postby Phil89 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:58 pm

21/6/19

2019 NBA Draft - Part Three

So far the draft hasn't provided too many surprises. The top three went as expected with New Orleans taking Zion Williamson, Memphis taking Ja Morant and New York taking RJ Barrett.

Cleveland picking up another point guard with pick 5 was an interesting move, as was Phoenix trading down from pick 6 to pick 11 and passing on the opportunity to draft Coby White to instead reach hard on Cameron Johnson.

Detroit took a big swing with Sekou Doumbouya at pick 15. They will be hoping the 18-year-old Frenchman can develop into their very own Giannis in the future. Orlando gambled on injured Auburn forward Chuma Okeke. He tore his ACL back in March and could miss his entire rookie season with the Magic.

Oklahoma City selected Darius Bazley, a player who didn't attend college or play professionally overseas. Nassir Little was expected to go within the first ten picks but ultimately slid down to the Blazers at pick 25.

Perhaps the biggest developing story of the night has been the fall of Oregon big man Bol Bol. His medical records must have really scared teams off for him to have gone from a likely top-ten pick to people wondering if he will even be picked up in the second round. He has a nervous wait ahead of him as the draft continues.

Here comes deputy NBA commissioner Mark Tatum to begin the second round of the draft.

-----

Second Round

-----

2019 NBA Draft Full Summary

-----

Draft transactions

Pre-Draft trades

Atlanta receive: 2024 Heat 2nd, Cash considerations ($1.9m)
Miami receive: Pick #44

Atlanta receive: 2024 Warriors 2nd, Cash considerations ($1.3m)
Golden State receive: Pick #41

Draft night trades

Brooklyn receive: Pick #56, 2020 76ers 1st (Lottery protected)
LA Clippers receive: Pick #27

Golden State receive: Pick #39
New Orleans receive: 2021 Warriors 2nd, 2023 Warriors 2nd, Cash considerations ($1m)

Philadelphia receive: Cash considerations ($2m)
Washington receive: Jonathan Simmons, Pick #42

Denver receive: Pick #44
Miami receive: 2022 Nuggets 2nd, Cash considerations ($1.2m)

LA Lakers receive: Pick #46
Orlando receive: 2020 Lakers 2nd, Cash considerations ($2.2m)

Golden State receive: Cash considerations (via Jazz) ($2m)
Indiana receive: 2021 Jazz 2nd, Cash considerations (via Jazz) ($1m)
Utah receive: Pick #50 (via Pacers), Pick #58 (via Warriors)

Detroit receive: Tony Snell, Pick #30
Milwaukee receive: Jon Leuer

Boston receive: Pick #24, Pick #33
Philadelphia receive: Pick #20

New York receive: Pick #47
Sacramento receive: Pick #55, Cash considerations ($1m)

Post-Draft trades

Dallas receive: Drafts rights to Isaiah Roby (#45), 2020 Jazz 2nd, 2021 Blazers 2nd
Detroit receive: Drafts rights to Deividas Sirvydis (#37)

Cleveland receive: Drafts rights to Kevin Porter Jr (#30)
Detroit receive: 2020 Jazz 2nd, 2021 Blazers 2nd, 2023 Blazers 2nd, 2024 Heat 2nd (top 55 protected), Cash considerations ($5m)

Indiana receive: TJ Warren, 2022 Heat 2nd, 2025 Heat 2nd, 2026 Heat 2nd
Miami receive: Drafts rights to KZ Okpala (#32)
Phoenix receive: Cash considerations (via Pacers) ($3m)

Minnesota receive: Drafts rights to Jarrett Culver (#6)
Phoenix receive: Dario Saric, Drafts rights to Cameron Johnson (#11)

Memphis receive: Jae Crowder, Kyle Korver, Grayson Allen, Drafts rights to Darius Bazley (#23), 2020 Jazz 1st (Top 10 protected)
Utah receive: Mike Conley

Atlanta receive: Allen Crabbe, Draft rights to Nickeil Alexander-Walker (#17), 2020 Nets 1st (Lottery protected)
Brooklyn receive: Taurean Prince, 2021 Hawks 2nd

Boston receive: 2020 Bucks 1st (Top 5 protected)
Phoenix receive: Aron Baynes, Draft rights to Ty Jerome (#24)

LA Lakers receive: Anthony Davis
New Orleans receive: Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, Drafts rights to De'Andre Hunter (#4), 2021 Lakers 1st (top 7 protected), right to swap 2023 1st, 2024 Lakers 1st, Cash considerations (via Lakers) ($2m), Cash considerations (via Wizards) ($1.1m)
Washington receive: Mo Wagner, Isaac Bonga, Jemerrio Jones, 2022 Lakers 2nd

Atlanta receive: Solomon Hill, Drafts rights to De'Andre Hunter (#4), Draft rights To Jordan Bone (#57), 2022 Pelicans 2nd (Top 45 protected)
New Orleans receive: Draft rights To Jaxson Hayes (#8), Draft rights To Nickeil Alexander-Walker (#17), Draft rights To Marcos Louzada Silva (#35), 2020 Cavaliers 1st (Top 10 protected)

Atlanta receive: Draft rights To Bruno Fernando (#34)
Philadelphia receive: Draft rights To Jordan Bone (#57), 2020 Hawks 2nd, 2023 Hawks 2nd

Memphis receive: Draft rights to Brandon Clarke (#21)
Oklahoma City receive: Draft rights to Darius Bazley (#23), 2024 Grizzlies 2nd

Detroit receive: Draft rights To Jordan Bone (#57)
Philadelphia receive: 2024 Heat 2nd, Cash considerations ($2m)

Undrafted Players

- Brewster Academy guard Jalen Lecque signed a four-year contract with the Phoenix Suns.
- Ole Miss guard Terance Davis signed a two-year contract with the Toronto Raptors.
- LSU forward Naz Reid signed a four-year contract with the Minnesota Timberwolves.
- Virginia Tech guard Justin Robinson signed a four-year contract with the Washington Wizards.

The following players signed two-way contracts: Ky Bowman (Golden State), Luguentz Dort (Oklahoma City), Zach Norvell Jr (LA Lakers), Brian Bowen II (Indiana), Kris Wilkes (New York), Jaylen Hoard (Portland), Louis King (Detroit), Dean Wade (Cleveland), Jared Harper (Phoenix), John Konchar (Memphis), Amir Coffey (LA Clippers), Adam Mokoka (Chicago), Garrison Mathews (Washington), Max Strus (Boston), Zylan Cheatham (New Orleans), Josh Reaves (Dallas), Charlie Brown Jr (Atlanta) and Robert Franks (Charlotte).

Whilst these players signed Exhibit 10 contracts for the Summer League: Marques Bolden (Cleveland), Shamorie Ponds (Houston), Barry Brown Jr (Minnesota), Lamar Peters (New York) Sagaba Konate (Toronto), Christ Koumadje (Philadelphia), Amir Hinton (New York), Dedric Lawson (San Antonio), Tyus Battle (Minnesota), Moses Brown (Houston) DaQuan Jeffries (Orlando), Bennie Boatwright (Detroit), Caleb Martin (Charlotte), Simisola Shittu (Memphis), Tacko Fall (Boston), Isaiah Pineiro (Sacramento) and William McDowell-White (Houston).

Further Notes

- Marcos Louzada Silva (Pick 35) will be joining the Sydney Kings in Australia's NBL in a draft-and-stash arrangement for next season.
- Devidas Sirvydis (Pick 37) has a buyout with Lithuanian team Rytas Vilnius. He will stay with Rytas for at least one more season.
- Vanja Marinkovic (Pick 60) had a €200k buyout with Serbian team Partizan Belgrade. Spanish team Valencia activated it and signed him for two years.

My Stories
Phil89

Re: OKC: Part III - 2019 Draft full summary

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:23 pm

Nice work on the Draft recap! Must've taken some time. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the offseason plays out.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:22 pm

Andrew wrote:Nice work on the Draft recap! Must've taken some time. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the offseason plays out.

Thanks. Yeah, it took longer than I expected. If I had done summaries for each player in the second round as well, I probably would have still been going at Christmas :lol:

Detailed off-season coverage always seems like a good idea, until you actually have to sit down and write it all.
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:28 pm

Oh, I know the feeling. I'll see if I feel up to it when I get back into MyLEAGUE this year. I had a false start in NBA 2K19, but I'm well over MyCAREER at this point, so it's definitely time to return to my roots.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:47 pm

30/6/19

2019 Free Agency preview

Unrestricted

• Kawhi Leonard - Toronto

With Kevin Durant's long-term injury, the most sought-after free agent this year will undoubtedly be Toronto forward Kawhi Leonard. The Raptors took a big risk in acquiring the 2014 Finals MVP, with the hope that he would lead them to their first ever championship.

But the gamble looks to have failed as they didn't win the title and it appears that they gave away fan favourite DeMar DeRozan for a one-year rental of Kawhi. Leonard is said to want to return home and sign with one of the Los Angeles teams.

If he joins the Lakers it will create an unbelievably good superteam with LeBron James and Anthony Davis. But Kawhi seems like a guy who likes to do things his own way and may prefer to be 'the man' with the Clippers, instead of LeBron's sidekick with the Lakers.

This free agency saga may well drag on for a while after all the other big names have agreed to deals.

Potential Destination: LA Lakers, Toronto, LA Clippers

• Klay Thompson - Golden State

One half of Golden State's famous "Splash Brothers", Thompson is held in high regard by the franchise and will be re-signed to a long-term contract despite the fact that he will miss most of next season as he recovers from a torn ACL that he suffered during the NBA Finals. The fact that the Warriors look likely to lose Kevin Durant and DeMarcus Cousins to free agency makes keeping Thompson an even easier decision and also more important.

The Warriors could well be at the end of their era of domination, but you wouldn't count them out once Thompson recovers. After all, they will still have the core of the team which won an NBA record 73 games in 2016.

Potential Destination: Golden State

• Kemba Walker - Charlotte

Kemba has been incredibly loyal to the Hornets during his career. He has only experienced playoff basketball twice in his eight years with the franchise as they have often finished down the bottom end of their conference. Having just turned 29, perhaps he is thinking about moving to a more successful team whilst he is still in his prime.

He has been linked to the Celtics as a potential replacement for Kyrie Irving. But he could also join up with LeBron James and Anthony Davis and be the third star on the Lakers.

Potential Destination: Charlotte, Boston, New York, LA Lakers

• Tobias Harris - Philadelphia

Philadelphia acquired Harris in a mid-season trade with the Clippers as they attempted to bolster their team in the hopes of making a run at a title. That plan paid off big time as the 76ers made it all the way to the NBA Finals and defeated the Warriors in six games. Now they have work to do to retain both Harris and Jimmy Butler.

The 76ers could actually have as much as $67 million in cap room to spend in free agency, so even if one or both of those guys doesn't re-sign they will still have the ability to sign a star player to replace them.

Potential Destination: Philadelphia, Brooklyn, New York

• Nikola Vucevic - Orlando

Orlando center Nikola Vucevic has been a borderline all-star for a few seasons now and will be one of the best big men available in free agency. The Magic have former number 6 pick Mohamed Bamba developing nicely, so it will be interesting to see what their plans are with Vucevic. They may opt to let him go and use their cap room to strengthen other areas of their roster.

Vucevic has been linked with a move to the Boston Celtics as a Al Horford replacement. The Lakers could also be keen to pair him with Anthony Davis if they fail to land Kawhi.

Potential Destination: Orlando, New York, LA Lakers, Boston

• DeMarcus Cousins - Golden State

Formerly one of the most dominant big men in the league before tearing his Achilles, DeMarcus Cousins chose to take a massive pay cut last season to join Golden State in the hopes of getting a ring. That plan ultimately failed and now that the Warriors don't have the cap room to re-sign him he will be forced to find a new team.

It's hard to judge what the market for him will look like. He did average 20/10 last season, but missed a chunk of the playoffs through injury and seemed to have lost some of his athleticism. It seems likely that he will either sign somewhere long term for financial security or look to find another one-year deal with a contending team to try and get that ring.

Potential Destination: New York, LA Lakers, Boston, Sacramento

• Derrick Rose - Minnesota

The 2011 MVP was one of the heart-warming stories of this past season. In his first full season with the Timberwolves he played all 82 games for the first time in his career, starting 56 of those. Averaging 17 points per game, Rose led them to the playoffs where they were handed a first round exit by the Jazz.

At 30-years-old and with his injury history it's hard to know what Rose is thinking about doing. He could be content accepting the biggest offer he gets or maybe he has a desire to chase a ring on a smaller deal.

Potential Destination: Minnesota, Phoenix, Orlando, New York, Indiana, Chicago

• Patrick Beverley - LA Clippers

Beverley is one of the best defensive guards in the league and could be a good fit for a lot of teams who are looking for a point guard. The Clippers missed the playoffs last season after winning only 35 games and now they are heavily linked with Kawhi Leonard. So Beverley's future may only be resolved once Kawhi announces his intentions.

Potential Destination: LA Clippers, Phoenix, Indiana

• DeAndre Jordan - New York

A few years ago DeAndre Jordan was thought of as one of the best big men in the league, if not the best defensive center going around. He made the all-star game in 2017, but ended up leaving the Clippers and signing for the Mavericks at the start of last season. In January he was sent to the Knicks as part of the trade that saw Dallas acquire Kristaps Porzingis.

At 31-years-old this could be his last chance to sign a big money deal. It remains to be seen if he opts for money or a shot at a ring.

Potential Destination: Brooklyn, Sacramento, LA Lakers, Atlanta

Restricted

• D'Angelo Russell - Brooklyn

The former number 2 overall pick was written off as a failure by many people after his stint with the Lakers ended with him being used to dump Timofey Mozgov's unwanted contract. But in his two seasons with the Nets he has become a key player for the franchise and last season he narrowly missed out on his first all-star selection.

He averaged career-highs in points, assists and steals per game and genuinely looks to be finally fulfilling his potential. His future is uncertain though as the Nets have been linked with a double swoop for all-stars Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving. If the latter joins it would almost certainly mean that Russell will be looking for a new home. The Suns, Timberwolves and Lakers have all reportedly shown interest in signing him.

Potential Destination: Brooklyn, Phoenix, Minnesota, Boston, LA Lakers, LA Clippers

• Kristaps Porzingis - Dallas

Dallas jumped at the chance to acquire 2018 all-star Porzingis midway through last season when the Knicks decided to get rid of him to clear cap room to use this off-season. Pairing him with fellow young Euro star Luka Doncic looked like a brilliant move on paper, and in practice it is paying off as well. Porzingis averaged a career-high 26.1 points per game after joining the Mavericks on incredibly efficient shooting (.520 FG, .410 3PT).

There is no doubt that Mavericks owner Mark Cuban will be matching any offer that his star Latvian receives, not that he has shown any indication that he won't just re-sign with Dallas immediately. There is a risk signing him to a max-level contract given his injury history, but his upside makes it worth taking the gamble.

Potential Destination: Dallas

• Malcolm Brogdon - Milwaukee

Former Rookie of the Year Malcolm Brogdon could be an in demand player once free agency begins. Although he is not blessed with explosive athleticism or a brilliant shooting stroke, the combo guard is incredibly versatile and is a high character person to have in the locker room.

He is one of several key players who the Bucks have coming out of contract alongside Khris Middleton, Brook Lopez, Nikola Mirotic and George Hill. Indications are that they won't be able to afford to keep them all, so perhaps Brogdon will be looking for a new home.

Potential Destination: Milwaukee, New York, Boston, Phoenix, Indiana

• Terry Rozier - Boston

Rozier had a breakout season in 2017-18, averaging a career-high 11 points per game as a key bench player for the Celtics during their run to the conference finals. He regressed this past season though and his numbers all across the board were down. Rozier was reportedly unhappy with his playing time and that effected his performance on the court. For some reason coach Brad Stevens played him for almost 10 minutes less per game than the previous season.

With Kyrie Irving declining his player option for next season and reportedly set to sign with Brooklyn, it seems as though Rozier may finally get to be a starter with Boston. Although there are rumours suggesting that the Celtics may make a play for Hornets point guard Kemba Walker to replace Irving. Rozier may have to leave Boston to find the playing time that he thinks he deserves.

Potential Destination: Boston, Orlando, Phoenix, Charlotte, Indiana

Player ETO

• Kevin Durant - Golden State

A few weeks ago it looked like Kevin Durant was set to win his third title in as many years with the Warriors. Then he injured his right calf in the conference semifinals and found himself rushing back in a bid to face the 76ers in the NBA Finals. He did make it back, but tore his Achilles just over a quarter into his comeback game and is now set to miss most of next season.

So now he enters the free agency market with a long-term injury that could scare off potential suitors from offering him a long-term contract. He has been linked to the Lakers, Clippers and Knicks, but the strongest link seems to be that he is teaming up with Kyrie Irving in Brooklyn. Either way he is finished with Golden State due to their cap situation.

Potential Destination: LA Clippers, New York, Brooklyn, LA Lakers, Dallas

• Kyrie Irving - Boston

It's somewhat ironic that Kyrie Irving looks set to leave Boston. He just had the best season of his career as he led the Celtics to the number 1 seed and the conference finals. He averaged nearly 27 points and 6 assists per game.

Behind the scenes the Celtics seemed to be quite dysfunctional though. This probably led to Kyrie opting out of his player option for next season and exploring his free agency alternatives. Some media reports suggest that he may reunite with his championship teammate LeBron James at the Lakers, whilst others have him teaming up with Kevin Durant in Brooklyn.

Potential Destination: Brooklyn, LA Lakers, New York

• Jimmy Butler - Philadelphia

Butler is another player who Philadelphia acquired through a mid-season trade to help their championship push. Despite his past reputation of being a bad influence in the locker room, Butler created no drama for the 76ers as they overcame a poor regular season to make the NBA Finals and win the title.

Despite the title win, Butler has yet to even verbally commit to re-signing with the 76ers. After complaining in the past about wanting to be part of a contending team it seems strange that Butler would be exploring his options in free agency. Even if he does leave the 76ers will have the cap room to sign a star player to replace him, so their championship window will still be wide open.

Potential Destination: Philadelphia, New York, Brooklyn, LA Clippers, Miami

• Khris Middleton - Milwaukee

Perhaps the biggest piece of Milwaukee's off-season puzzle is keeping hold of wing star Khris Middleton. He is probably their second most important player after Giannis Antetokounmpo and is one of the best shooters available in the free agency market. They will be hoping to lock him in to a new contract as quickly as possible.

It's possible that he could explore his options, but so far he hasn't been linked to any other teams so he will most likely stay with the Bucks.

Potential Destination: Milwaukee

• Al Horford - Boston

Al Horford has been one of the most important players for Boston over the past few seasons. He helped them secure the first seed and reach the conference finals last season. But now he is set to leave after declining his $30 million player option for next season.

An unknown team has reportedly offered the 33-year-old a four-year contract worth over $100 million. It's easy to see why the Celtics are reluctant to match that kind of offer.

Potential Destination: Dallas, LA Clippers, Philadelphia

• Julius Randle - New Orleans

Julius Randle was the Pelicans' best player last season, outside of Anthony Davis. So it is a bit surprising that he is opting out of his player option and possibly leaving. Perhaps the arrivals of Zion Williamson, Derrick Favors and Jaxson Hayes made him feel like his playing time would be reduced next season if he had stayed.

Or maybe he just knows that he has a skill set that a lot of teams would like to utilise and that there are many teams out there who can pay him a lot more money than the Pelicans.

Potential Destination: Dallas, Brooklyn, Phoenix, New York

• Harrison Barnes - Sacramento

Many people were surprised when Harrison Barnes opted out of his $25 million player option for next season, mainly because they feel that he isn't worth that much money. But he is gambling that he can get similar money on a longer-term deal from either the Kings or another team.

Potential Destination: Sacramento, New York, Chicago, Memphis

• Jonas Valanciunas - Memphis

Despite being traded midway through last season Jonas Valanciunas had the most productive season of his career. He averaged 16 points and 10 rebounds per game on a Grizzlies team that only managed to win 32 games.

Memphis fans shouldn't worry about his future though, as he opted out with the intention of re-signing for a longer-term deal.

Potential Destination: Memphis
My Stories
Phil89

Re: OKC: Part III - Free Agency Preview

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:03 pm

I'd make some predictions, but that'd probably be cheating. ;)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:19 pm

Andrew wrote:I'd make some predictions, but that'd probably be cheating. ;)

Haha yeah. I realised after posting that it was a bit redundant, but I have to do it for the sake of the story. If nothing else it gives me the templates for future off-seasons.

Besides, maybe all of my previous posts about the off-season were misdirection :cheeky: Kawhi to the Hawks! Durant is joining Sacramento! Kyrie to Dallas! Clippers to give max contract to Dragan Bender!!! :mrgreen:
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:25 pm

Agreed, it's good for the presentation and future templates once you're well ahead of reality. A curveball definitely would catch us all off guard, though!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood