OKC: Part III - Tough ending in Milwaukee

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: OKC: Part III - 2019 Playoffs - Conference semi finals preview

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:50 pm

Second round could be quite a battle. A shame that even if you win, they're going to end up with Westbrook...or will they? ;)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: OKC: Part III - 2019 Playoffs - PG sends Lakers home

Postby Phil89 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:12 pm

Andrew wrote:Huge game from George to get the job done. Lakers hung in there admirably without LeBron.

I was a bit worried when they randomly dropped 45 in that second quarter. Paul George caught fire though and they had no answer for him in the second half.

seaboh13 wrote:Great win over the Lakers. Like the Westbrook step over after dunk! George was very impressive! Equally impressed by Noel, some really solid performances by him throughout. Adams pops up every second game with big numbers thought! I wouldn't feel pressured to trade PG in this universe, I think if the Thunder knocked off the Lakers in real life he may not have been so receptive to Kawhi's phone call. Disappointing to do what he did. There is always the hope now they trade Westy, tank, do so poorly they return to Seattle! Good luck v Denver!!

I'm pretty much committed to doing the real life off-season here at this point. I've put a lot of groundwork in already.

I don't know about moving back to Seattle, but trading Westbrook and George could be a good opportunity to refresh the uniforms/logo. Maybe I'll look into that.

Andrew wrote:Second round could be quite a battle. A shame that even if you win, they're going to end up with Westbrook...or will they? ;)

They will :(

Now I really have to win this series because it would be super weird to trade the reigning MVP to the team that just knocked us out of the playoffs otherwise :lol:
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:16 pm

The only problem with moving to Seattle is that once the servers are shut down, any MyLEAGUE saves that use custom assets also get locked (as you unfortunately found out). Of course, that's a while off yet.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby wdt92 on Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:28 pm

Because we know for certain that the duo will be split, this is the most depressing Playoff run I think ever experienced. :lol:

A good win against LA, good luck against Houston!

It will be very strange seeing PG demand a trade if you guys can make it to the Finals. I guess because KD just did something similar in real life, it isn't abnormal, just will be odd. Though, for me, every move this offseason has been strange. Everyone is moving around and it just doesn't feel the same anymore. I guess I'm just getting too old for the new player empowerment and miss the old days of players having a mostly team loyalty.
wdt92

Postby Phil89 on Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:00 pm

Andrew wrote:The only problem with moving to Seattle is that once the servers are shut down, any MyLEAGUE saves that use custom assets also get locked (as you unfortunately found out). Of course, that's a while off yet.

Oh yeah. I don't want to risk that happening again.

Does that include uniforms that I create in-game? Or is it just custom teams that I download?

wdt92 wrote:Because we know for certain that the duo will be split, this is the most depressing Playoff run I think ever experienced. :lol:

A good win against LA, good luck against Houston!

It will be very strange seeing PG demand a trade if you guys can make it to the Finals. I guess because KD just did something similar in real life, it isn't abnormal, just will be odd. Though, for me, every move this offseason has been strange. Everyone is moving around and it just doesn't feel the same anymore. I guess I'm just getting too old for the new player empowerment and miss the old days of players having a mostly team loyalty.

I'm trying not to think about it during games, that "this may be the last time these guys are on my team". It's going to be hard to hit confirm on the trade of Westbrook :cry:

The off-season has been crazy. But I kind of like it because we've just had an era where the Warriors and Cavs have dominated. Now there is a more even spread of top talent and both conferences are wide open.
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:10 pm

I think it's just if you use custom assets that you download, because it still wants to call to the server even though those assets are now local. Definitely frustrating.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:45 pm

24/4/19

Oklahoma City Thunder [4-1] vs Houston Rockets [4-2]

Adams dominates Rockets in series opener as Thunder cruise to victory

OKC | 36 | 34 | 39 | 24 | 133 |
HOU | 24 | 23 | 31 | 26 | 106 |

Player of the Game: Steven Adams
(24pts, 17reb, 3ast, 2stl, 2blk)

(12-18 FG, 0-2 FT)

Full Scores

Capela picked up his fourth foul midway through the second quarter. Him being on the bench really allowed Adams and Noel to dominate in the paint.
My Stories
Phil89

Re: OKC: Part III - 2019 Playoffs - Rockets fail to launch in game 1

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:15 pm

Confidence riding high after downing the Lakers!

Did you feel you were going to Westbrook and George less because you know they're on the way out? (Any chance you'd reconsider that and make your own reality?)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:25 pm

Andrew wrote:Confidence riding high after downing the Lakers!

Did you feel you were going to Westbrook and George less because you know they're on the way out? (Any chance you'd reconsider that and make your own reality?)

It was more a case of it being easy to score with Adams and Noel with Capela sitting on the bench with foul trouble. They only have Nene as backup and he is like 40.

I'm committed to the realism path now. And it has to be as close to 100% accurate as I can make it. Not doing the Westbrook and George trades would mess with my OCD/immersion.

But once the new season starts I'll be going back to creating my own narratives again.

If Westbrook is ever a free agent I'll definitely try to sign him. It would be like when the 76ers signed a mid-thirties Iverson back in 2009.
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:21 pm

Sounds like a plan! In the meantime, all in for the title run.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:50 pm

26/4/19

Oklhoma City Thunder [5-1] vs Houston Rockets [4-3]

Big night from CP3 not enough to stop Thunder taking 2-0 series lead

OKC | 30 | 23 | 34 | 31 | 118 |
HOU | 27 | 29 | 28 | 28 | 112 |

Player of the Game: Russell Westbrook
(22pts, 11reb, 9ast, 1stl, 1blk)

(9-15 FG, 4-8 FT)

Full Scores

Foul trouble played a big part in this game. Westbrook and George picked up their third fouls during the second quarter and I had to sit them.

Harden picked up his fourth right before the first half ended. He then got his fifth halfway through third quarter, before eventually fouling out with 13 seconds left in third.

Chris Paul did a great job keeping them in the contest.
My Stories
Phil89

Re: OKC: Part III - 2019 Playoffs - Chris Paul has a big night in OKC

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:51 pm

I was going to say, that's a very ordinary performance by Harden there. Not a bad performance by your (possible) future point guard! :P
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:45 pm

Andrew wrote:I was going to say, that's a very ordinary performance by Harden there. Not a bad performance by your (possible) future point guard! :P

It's just my luck that Westbrook got traded for one of my least favourite players (Who also happens to be old and on a gross contract).

Literally the only positive I can see with Paul is that he will be a $40 million expiring contract in a season or two. That could be a handy asset if I'm looking to trade for a star player.
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:01 pm

Chances are he moves on in real life too, so you may not even have to worry about that. Potentially a tougher rebuild if you can't trade him for who you want, of course.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:01 pm

28/4/19

Houston Rockets [4-4] vs Oklahoma City Thunder [6-1]

Rockets flex their scoring muscle to grab first win of the series

HOU | 43 | 24 | 38 | 41 | 146 |
OKC | 29 | 26 | 35 | 28 | 118 |

Player of the Game: James Harden
(37pts, 4reb, 6ast)

(14-32 FG, 2-9 3PT, 7-7 FT)

Full Scores

My defense was just powerless to stop them in this game. We just never really recovered from that first quarter deficit.

I managed to cut their lead down to like 4 points in the third quarter before they went on another run. It blew out further in the fourth as I had basically conceded defeat.

Adams fouled out late in the third quarter which also didn't help.
My Stories
Phil89

Re: OKC: Part III - 2019 Playoffs - Rockets pile on the points in game 3

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:23 pm

Wow, Harden had a point to prove after the previous game. Looks like you still made him work for it with those shooting percentages, but he put up numbers.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:36 pm

Andrew wrote:Wow, Harden had a point to prove after the previous game. Looks like you still made him work for it with those shooting percentages, but he put up numbers.

Roberson does a pretty good job of slowing him down on the perimeter. We just allowed him way too much room to drive into the paint.

The thing that really killed us was Capela, Shumpert and Rivers combining for 55 points. I can't afford to have Harden and the role players both scoring like that in the same game.
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Phil89 on Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:57 pm

30/4/19

Houston Rockets [5-4] vs Oklahoma City Thunder [6-2]

Thunder produce offensive masterclass in game 4 to go 3-1 up in series

HOU | 26 | 21 | 33 | 29 | 109 |
OKC | 35 | 33 | 34 | 40 | 142 |

Player of the Game: Steven Adams
(17pts, 16reb, 6ast, 3stl, 4blk)

(7-10 FG, 3-4 FT)

Full Scores

We started the second quarter on a 12-0 run. That really killed the contest for the most part.

Normally I would've taken my foot off the pedal in the fourth with it being a blow-out. But I decided to be petty and keep going as payback for game 3 :wink:
My Stories
Phil89

Re: OKC: Part III - 2019 Playoffs - Thunder exact revenge for game 3 loss

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:22 pm

Nothing wrong with exacting a little revenge before officially declaring garbage time. Especially after a tough loss!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: OKC: Part III - 2019 Playoffs - Thunder exact revenge for game 3 loss

Postby Phil89 on Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:24 pm

2/5/19

Oklahoma City Thunder [7-2] vs Houston Rockets [5-5]

Thunder book place in conference finals after rollercoaster game 5

OKC | 32 | 29 | 29 | 42 | 132 |
HOU | 24 | 28 | 38 | 24 | 114 |

Player of the Game: Paul George
(30pts, 3reb, 4ast, 1stl, 2blk)

(12-21 FG, 1-4 3PT, 5-6 FT)

Full Scores

(Game 6)

We led by as many as 15 in the second quarter. Harden was almost unstoppable in the third quarter and got them level at the final break.

But I regained momentum in the fourth and we ended up running away with a comfortable win.
My Stories
Phil89

Re: OKC: Part III - 2019 Playoffs - Thunder seal passage to conference finals

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:41 pm

Sounds like an exciting one, glad to see you pick up the win and advance though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:16 pm

6/5/19

2019 Playoffs - Conference Finals Preview

Western Conference

1. Golden State Warriors [67-15] vs 2. Oklahoma City Thunder [65-17]

It's the match-up that a lot of neutral fans wanted to see. The two best teams from the regular season, who also just happen to have become bitter rivals in recent years.

The main reason for that rivalry will ironically be missing for this series though. Superstar Kevin Durant, who defected from the Thunder to the Warriors in 2016, is out for a fortnight with a calf strain.

Golden State made it through to the conference finals for the fifth year in a row after comfortably accounting for both Portland and Utah. But things aren't all sunshine and lollipops for the Warriors.

Durant pulled up lame in the second quarter of game 5 against the Jazz. Scans later revealed that he had a right calf strain and that he could be out for a number of weeks.

Star center DeMarcus Cousins will also miss this series after suffering a torn left quadriceps in game 1 against the Jazz. He is out indefinitely, but could return if the Warriors reach the NBA Finals.

Even without those two stars the Warriors still have the core of the team that won 73 regular season games in 2016. Steph Curry and Klay Thompson are the most dangerous offensive duo in the league as either one of them could drop 50 points on any given night if they are in the mood.

Andre Iguodala and Andrew Bogut are both older now, but still providing solid defense for the team. Both will have important roles to play against the Thunder.

Oklahoma City come into this series after impressively dispatching with both the Lakers and the Rockets in the previous rounds. But they face their ultimate nemesis here in the Warriors.

Thunder fans and perhaps even members of the organisation itself have never forgiven Kevin Durant for his decision to leave them and join Golden State. It particularly hurt because it happened just weeks after giving up a 3-1 series lead against them.

The Thunder have had to rebuild themselves into contenders again after that disappointment. They eventually managed to pair MVP Russell Westbrook with all-star forward Paul George and the partnership has produced impressive results, despite a disappointing first round exit last season.

Within the overall rivalry between the two teams are individual conflicts. Draymond Green deliberately kicked Steven Adams in the groin on two occasions during that 2016 series. The latter incident saw him fined $25,000 by the league. Thunder fans have disliked him ever since and will no doubt let him know about it every time he touches the ball.

There is also reportedly some tension between star guards Steph Curry and Russell Westbrook after Curry allegedly suggested the he had deserved the MVP award over Westbrook after guiding his team to a 67 win season.

This series is very evenly poised now with the Warriors losing both Durant and Cousins. Ultimately the winner of this series may be the team which takes their chances better at the offensive end, as both of these teams are elite defensively.

In NBA history there have only ever been five teams to win 65 games during the regular season and not go on to win the championship. One of these teams will unfortunately join that list after this series.

Key Match-Up: Stephen Curry vs Russell Westbrook

Golden State
Starters
Andrew Bogut - Draymond Green - Andre Iguodala - Klay Thompson - Stephen Curry
Bench
Kevon Looney, Quinn Cook, Shaun Livingston, Jonas Jerebko, Jordan Bell, Damian Jones, Alfonzo McKinnie, Damion Lee
Inactive
Jacob Evans III, Marcus Derrickson, DeMarcus Cousins*, Kevin Durant*

Oklahoma City
Starters
Steven Adams - Jerami Grant - Paul George - Andre Roberson - Russell Westbrook
Bench
Nerlens Noel, Raymond Felton, Darren Collison, Patrick Patterson, Deonte Burton, Terrance Ferguson, Hamidou Diallo, Deyonta Davis*
Inactive
Abdel Nader, Scotty Hopson

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eastern Conference

1. Boston Celtics [59-23] vs 6. Philadelphia 76ers [42-40]

The Eastern Conference finals will be contested between arguably the conference's two biggest rivals, the Boston Celtics and the Philadelphia 76ers. This will be the 22nd time these two have faced each other in the post-season.

Boston only dropped one game on their way past Indiana and Miami. Philadelphia on the other hand have had to win two hard-fought series against the Raptors and the Bucks to get to this point.

The Celtics will come into this series full of confidence being the number one seed and on the back of eliminating the 76ers in the playoffs last season. They eventually lost in the conference finals to the Cavaliers, but there is no LeBron standing in their way this year.

Both Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward missed the series last year through injury. The pair will be integral for the Celtics against an improved 76ers line-up.

Philadelphia are a much better team than last season, on paper at least. Through trades they replaced Dario Saric and Robert Covington with Jimmy Butler and Tobias Harris. They have proved in the post-season that they are a much better team than their regular season record suggests.

Ben Simmons will need to find a way to be more effective against the Celtics this time around. Last time they sagged off him on defense and it helped restrict how his teammates from getting open shots. Luckily for him he has got Jimmy Butler, JJ Redick and Tobias Harris to space the floor for him now.

Joel Embiid is one of the most unguardable players in the league when he is in the zone. But Celtics big man Al Horford has been as good as anyone at slowing him down in recent years.

It will be interesting to see which of these two Atlantic division rivals will prevail and head to the NBA Finals. Either one would likely go in as underdogs against either the Warriors or Thunder.

Key Match-Up: Kyrie Irving vs Ben Simmons

Boston
Starters
Al Horford - Marcus Morris Sr - Jayson Tatum - Jaylen Brown - Kyrie Irving
Bench
Marcus Smart, Gordon Hayward, Terry Rozier III, Daniel Theis, Aron Baynes, Robert Williams, Brad Wanamaker, Semi Ojeleye
Inactive
RJ Hunter, PJ Dozier, Guerschon Yabusele

Philadelphia
Starters
Joel Embiid - Tobias Harris - Jimmy Butler - JJ Redick - Ben Simmons
Bench
TJ McConnell, Boban Marjanovic, Furkan Korkmaz, Amir Johnson, Mike Scott, James Ennis, Jonathan Simmons, Zhaire Smith
Inactive
Shake Milton, Jonah Bolden, Justin Patton, Haywood Highsmith

Injuries

Playoff Leaders

My Stories
Phil89

Postby Phil89 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:25 pm

Andrew wrote:Sounds like an exciting one, glad to see you pick up the win and advance though.

It was a strange game. We were comfortable at half time, but then Harden caught fire and dragged them level by the end of the third quarter. Then they ran out of steam and we crushed them in the fourth quarter.

I love how my reward for beating the Rockets is a series against Golden State :roll: :lol:

At least we should have a decent chance against them this time, with Durant and Cousins being out injured.
My Stories
Phil89

Re: OKC: Part III - 2019 Playoffs - Conference Finals preview

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:21 pm

Yeah, not much of a reward. Still, not counting you out. Gotta make this run count, after all!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: OKC: Part III - 2019 Playoffs - Conference Finals preview

Postby Phil89 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:20 pm

7/5/19

Golden State Warriors [8-2] vs Oklahoma City Thunder [8-2]

Warriors take game 1 as unlikely heroes shine for both teams

GSW | 21 | 34 | 31 | 27 | 113 |
OKC | 23 | 23 | 26 | 31 | 103 |

Player of the Game: Andre Iguodala
(27pts, 3reb, 7ast, 4stl, 2blk)

(11-19 FG, 2-4 3PT, 3-6 FT)

Full Scores

We trailed by 18 late in the third quarter. But then we started the fourth with a 13-1 run to cut the margin down to just 2 points. I had to rest Westbrook though and they extended their lead again.

Too many missed free throws and lay-ups cost us any chance of winning. It was probably a winnable game.

One positive is the advantage Adams has over Bogut and Looney in the paint. Hopefully I can use that going forward.
My Stories
Phil89

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood