Lakers trades future for now: ANTHONY DAVIS

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Lakers trades future for now: ANTHONY DAVIS

Postby NovU on Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:48 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/15/spor ... davis.html

To make Davis their latest front-line centerpiece, the Lakers are sending a vast haul to New Orleans, featuring the prized guards Lonzo Ball and Josh Hart; forward Brandon Ingram; and three first-round draft picks, including the No. 4 selection in Thursday’s N.B.A. draft.

I guess we all knew that Lakers weren't gonna wait much longer as LBJ's last good days are quickly disappearing. Consider this. Less than 4 players from 2003 draft are remaining in the league today and none of them aren't that good anymore outside of LBJ, and also consider this that LBJ has regressed rather quickly over past few seasons. Next 2 seasons are gonna be his last good ones, at best. The Lakers made a right move, now let's see how this pans out.

Anyways, another exiting team is born. Good for the league.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Re: Lakers trades future for now: ANTHONY DAVIS

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:45 pm

There was no way LeBron was going to be satisfied playing out his career on a rebuilding team, so the now or never approach makes sense. It's worth the gamble to bring in a proven talent like Davis.

However, I wouldn't get too far ahead in proclaiming the Lakers a new powerhouse. LeBron's teams have been successful when they surround him with shooters, and the Lakers haven't done that (yet). His game also has a tendency to force bigs to become outside shooters (see Chris Bosh and Kevin Love), because of his drive and dish mentality. Davis does have range, but he's not a prolific outside scorer and it'd be a waste to lose his inside game. He's a huge acquisition for the Lakers, but depth and putting together a roster that plays to LeBron's strengths and style of play are still on the To Do list. It wouldn't be the first time they threw together a bunch of talent and had it not pan out.

Read a rumour that there's a possibility they'll go after CP3. Not a terrible move, but a few years too late all the same.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:41 pm

Pelicans ended up getting a nice haul. Griffin played this one quite well.

Brandon Ingram
Lonzo Ball
Josh Hart
No. 4 pick in 2019
Top-8 protected in 2021, becomes unprotected in ‘22
Unprotected swap in ‘23
Unprotected first in ‘24
Unprotected swap in ‘25

<->

Anthony Davis

Surely the Lakers have to win at least one championship in the next few years now. They have mortgaged their future to get Davis.

They had to take the gamble though. A 26 year old star is way more valuable to them (with LeBron) than a bunch of young guys with 'potential' and some future draft picks.
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby NovU on Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:11 pm

Andrew wrote:However, I wouldn't get too far ahead in proclaiming the Lakers a new powerhouse.

Me too. LeBron was just good last year and not very good. Anthony Davis was very good but has yet to be great in his career. Formula has been you want at least one great player plus another one very good(or whole bunch of good) to contend at high level, which means one of them has to elevate their game. As you noted chemistry also is in question due to not being a long range purer.

But nonetheless I find this pretty exciting news in consideration of their star power.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:58 pm

No question, it shakes things up and creates buzz ahead of next season. A blockbuster like that, and the resulting fallout, is never uninteresting.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:14 am

NovU wrote:
Andrew wrote:However, I wouldn't get too far ahead in proclaiming the Lakers a new powerhouse.

Anthony Davis was very good but has yet to be great in his career.

I beg to differ. In the 2017-18 season, he was arguably the best all-around player next to Harden. Dude averaged a double double, led the league in blocks, managed to get a couple steals and assists per game, and shot well from the field, 3, and the line.

Sure he might not be a strong outside shooter but his interior defense will really help the team who tends to struggle defending the paint.

As of right now, the Lakers aren't a championship team, but it depends on who they get with the cap space. If they get a good 3 and D player, that could put them over the top. I'd prefer a non max player like Middleton, Redick, or Ariza to save money for good bench players. Guys like Vanvleet showed how important it is to have guys off the bench that keep you in the game
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:12 am

what a big win for the lakers franchise. it's been a nightmare offseason for them, taking a seat next to the bulls & knicks on the short bus

i guess Pelinka had to give the king's ransom but no one trades 1st round picks without the protected tag anymore, nevermind multiple ones. i'm sure pel's fans are hoping for a brooklyn-boston trade repeat.
Phil89 wrote:No. 4 pick in 2019
Top-8 protected in 2021, becomes unprotected in ‘22
Unprotected swap in ‘23
Unprotected first in ‘24
Unprotected swap in ‘25

NovU wrote: Anthony Davis was very good but has yet to be great in his career

a lot of people get impressed when they see his stats, rightly so, but Davis doesn't have a post game. in fact, he's a little bit soft. he settles for fadeaways/perimeter shots way too much. his 4th quarter stats are poor and surprisingly the pel's +/- was worse when jrue holiday was off the court than when Davis was.

but the dude is something right if the ball goes in the basket
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:35 am

Would it be fair to say that Davis has the talent of a franchise cornerstone, but not the mentality? If so, that's going to be alleviated somewhat playing with LeBron, even with James on the downside of his career.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:37 am

what's the franchise mentality? "franchise" talents are like gypsies for this generation of players. the latest champion's best player may not even stay with his team. lebron james has changed his uniform several times now
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:37 pm

Not what I'm talking about. I'll rephrase.

Would it be fair to say that Davis has superstar talent that on paper a team would build around, but not the leadership that needs to go with it? If so, that's going to be alleviated somewhat playing with LeBron who does have that mentality, even as he's on the downside of his career.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:50 am

perhaps? some think lebron james is a bad leader since he doesn't play defense and displays poor body language :|
Jump.
air gordon

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:12 am

Andrew wrote:His game also has a tendency to force bigs to become outside shooters (see Chris Bosh and Kevin Love), because of his drive and dish mentality

Not really.

Bosh attempted 3s at a similar rate in his last 4 seasons with Toronto and his first 2 seasons with the Heat.
Only in his last 2 seasons with LeBron did his attempted 3s increase and it's not even because of LeBron.
It's Wade, he attempted more of his shots within 10 feet than LeBron did. You could even point the finger at Spoelstra for trying to take care of Wade's aging knees by having him post up more instead of always slashing to the basket like his younger self or constantly running around screens if he were to become a shooter.

Same with Love, he was already attempting 3s at similar rate in his last 2 seasons with Minny and first 2 seasons with the Cavs, including the season where they won a ring. Only in his 3rd season with the Cavs did his attempted 3s jump, like the rest of the league did as every team fell in love with the 3 because of the Warriors curb stomping the regular season to 73-9.

The oft impression of bigs playing with LeBron suddenly becoming Kyle Korvers is always thought of because that was and is the repeated and easy narrative when he played with them but stats say otherwise and gives all of us and the narrative a big middle finger.

Besides, LeBron already has his stretch big with the Lakers. That's why Kuzma wasn't traded, for now.

All the successful LeBron teams always had a big man to do work on defense, Ilgauskas, Joel Anthony, Bosh, Tristan Thompson before the Kardashian curse finally went in full effect, now it's Anthony Davis and him being in the top 2 of two-way players in the league also helps, a lot.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby air gordon on Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:07 am

AD giving up 4million clams so the lakers can have that max salary slot. wow.
Jump.
air gordon

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:49 pm

Jordan Clarkson just joined Rich Paul and LeBron's management agency.
Clarkson is in the last year of his contract, expect a buyout then rejoins the Lakers.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:30 am

Bosh in his first two years with the Heat was allowed to operate in almost all the same spaces as he did with the Raptors. He hung out mostly in the high post, or the ball would be dumped down to him in the post, or he would be in a 0-12 ft space ready for a dumpoff by a driving Wade or LeBron. He thrived in the mid range those first two years with the Heat, the same as he did with the Raptors.

My opinion is: He started shooting more threes when the NBA itself started moving even more in stretch 4 and 4-out territory, which is funny because when Bosh came into the league he wasnt that guy at all, but Bargnani was, and Bosh ended up being better at spacing the floor than Bargnani.

Those Heat and Cavs teams always had a big that played a decent amount of minutes that took no threes at all, and were just hustle and drop off guys, Joel Anthony, Mozgov, Tristan Thompson, etc. If the Lakers are going to be successful, I still feel the best option is for them to get that type of player, which would be DeAndre Jordan at this point of his career.

Anthony Davis thrives in many of the same areas as Bosh, and can space the floor. He likes operating out of that high post and mid, and having a guy like Jordan doing the dirty work on defense and on the offensive boards would also preserve Davis more on both ends of the floor and throughout the season.

If I were the Lakers, I would look at retaining Rondo (pitch him low, which I think he will accept) because of the chemistry he has with Davis, and because of the performer he is in the playoffs.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:27 am

I don't know if I could root for Rondo for another year lol

i agree a non-shooting big for dropoffs would be great, just look at how McGee did last year. And now with more attention elsewhere, these other guys are presumably going to get some open lanes to the basket. Still hoping for a Randle return lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:41 pm

Bargnani, now that’s a throwback. I seem to recall Bosh in Toronto being referred to as a poor man’s KG, compliment or veiled insult it wasn’t even bad to be compared to a player like KG.

Speaking of Bosh and KG, just remembered this:

Chris Bosh admitted in an interview this week that Garnett once “got in [his] head” so bad that he lost sleep afterward.

“He called me a momma’s boy,” the former Toronto Raptors and Miami Heat big man told Bill Simmons in a podcast interview Monday.

“We joked and laughed about it a few months ago,” Bosh said. “He got me, too. It was true. [laughing] It was true. He called me a momma’s boy. … I forgot what he said to me and I said something back. He said, ‘Man, you a momma’s boy.’ I was like ‘Whoa.’ I had the worst game of my career after that.”

“I couldn’t sleep,” Bosh said. “I was up just late at night like, ‘What is that supposed to mean? A momma’s boy. Who is he talking about? Hm.’ It’s 4 a.m., you know, I gotta be up in a couple hours.”

“He was all in [my head],” Bosh said. “All in there. Kept hearing it, man — ‘Momma’s boy.'”

Bosh the smart guy overthinking stuff :lol:

phpBB [video]
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby air gordon on Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:20 am

waiting on the lakers to make their moves.

interesting narrative of this early talk of 'saving' / 'load management' for lbj + AD and the lakers filling out the roster with possibly one more big star and the rest with league minimum talent/salary.
Jump.
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:12 am

Regular season will be the Alex Caruso show :cool:
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Return to NBA & Basketball