Anything is Possible: Shields gets Scholarship!

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Episode 10: An unexpected call.

Postby RMJH4 on Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:47 pm

Episode 10: An unexpected call.

6am. Kev's Apartment. Phone ringing...

"Hey is that Mike Shields?"

"Yeah, it's me, who is this?."

"This is Patrick Ewing calling Mike."

''Eh, THE Patrick Ewing?!"

"Yes Mike, THE Patrick Ewing. Good morning."

"Oh good morning Mr Ewing. How can I help you?"

"Well Mike, I'm sorry for waking you this early. I have been up all night trying to track down your number. I have a lot of contacts in the city of New York, and word on the street is you are looking to play some college ball this upcoming season. I heard all about your situation with St Johns. I think I can make something happen for you. I was talking to a certain Mr Carmelo Anthony yesterday."

"Oh wow, yes sir, he was telling me I should be playing college ball, and he'd pass on the word to a few people. Are you working for Syracuse sir?"

"You must not have been watching the news kid, I've just been hired by Georgetown University as Head Coach."

"Apologies Mr Ewing, I've been out on the local court all day playing ball and didn't see the news. Congrats that's fantastic and well deserved!"

"Don't worry about it Mike. So I think I'd like to see you play some, for us this year. We need depth on the wings, and I hear you can also post up a little bit too. We have just lost Trey Mourning to injury, he's going to miss the entire year. From what I've heard there might be some minutes for you this year as a walk-on. You interested?"

"Most certainly Sir. I've just enrolled here at St Johns in the summer school. I've already paid my fee's for the first semester. How will that work?"

"You don't need to worry about that Mike. I know the Athletic Director Mike Cragg, and I can organise it all for you. You are only enrolled in summer school at the moment, so we can get you a transfer straight away. Don't even need to go through NCAA as you are not a registered player yet. Where are you living right now, I can send someone to pick you up. Can you pack some things for a visit?"

"Uh yeah, sure Sir, what time?"

Lets says 12pm? I'll introduce you to our Athletic Director. I think you'll like D.C. If you are happy to commit, I can get some accommodation sorted for the first few weeks for you.

"Wow, I really appreciate that Sir. I'll get packing a few things. See you later Mr Ewing."

Unreal. Patrick Ewing just called me! I didn't make the St John's roster. No spot as a walk-on. I play an open tournament, and Carmelo Anthony see's me playing and respects my game. I am awake? This is surreal. I came to the US to play ball, and I didn't think that was going to happen. Now Patrick Ewing, Georgetown Head Coach is sending a car to collect me to come down and visit the campus. I got to wake up Kevin. He won't believe this. I like New York, but Washington D.C. sounds even better to me!
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Episode 11: Georgetown Campus

Postby RMJH4 on Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:44 pm

Episode 11: Georgetown Campus

12pm. Kev's Apartment Block. Big black SUV pulls up and a guy in a black suit steps out.

"Mike Shields? "

"That's me Sir."

"This is your ride to Georgetown Sir, courtesy of Mr Ewing. Let me take your bag."

Wow, this is the life. I brought a book to pass the time with me, I had been reading 'Just Ballin' it's the story of the 98-99 Knicks making the finals as an 8 seed. It's good so far, and I'll get it finished easily in the 4 and a half hour drive down to Georgetown.

"You're here Sir, rise and shine"

The driver woke me up softly. I'd drifted off half way down. It was 5pm. What a journey. I better at least tip the driver!

"Straight ahead into that building kid. Mr Ewing and the Athletic Director Mr Young will be in there. Good Luck."

"Hey Mike welcome to Georgetown, you've got a little sleep in your eyes!"

"Oh sorry, I drifted off on the journey down, thanks for organising the ride Sir."

"You're welcome, I'm Marcus Young, Athletic Director here at Georgetown, come on into this office and meet Mr Ewing. I'll leave you too to get acquainted."

"Mike, come on in!"

''It's an honor to meet you Mr Ewing, big fan."

"Have a seat Mike. What NBA team do you follow?"

"The Knicks, it's why I moved to New York originally."

"Well Mike that's good to hear. Judging by your age you haven't seen too many glory years in MSG. When will Dolan ever sell the team?!."

"Oh I don't know, no end in sight to the suffering. Porzingis is the last remaining hope for Knicks fans!"

"I know, he's a nice player. Right let's get down to business Mike. We only have a walk-on spot for you, as all our scholarships are used up. But I've been doing a lot of research on you the last few hours. I can't believe you weren't recruited out of High School. I see you were part of the Irish U-18 team in the European Championships that placed 5th. Great acheivement Mike."

"Thanks Sir. Yeah it's very difficult to get exposure in Ireland. My Dad is a coach and even with his connections we couldn't get any scouts to have a look. I was a late addition to the Irish squad, that didn't help either."

"Don't worry about it Mike. So what happened with St John's, Mitch gave your spot to another kid?"

"Yeah, I kind of knew the writing was on the wall once, Coach Mullin resigned. He really liked me but Coach Richmond preferred the smaller guards."

"You don't need to worry about that with me Mike. I appreciate Forwards here. What height are you 6'7? I think you could be one of the tallest walk-on's we've ever had! Can't believe Mitch picked a 6'2" guard over you. Anyway, you brought some gear with you? I want you to have a run with some of our guys.

"Yeah, sure Sir, what time?"

About a half hour, I'll let Jonathan and Ra'Mond know, they'll show you around. They're both seniors. Ra'Mond was the Student Manager for 2 years, then he made the team as a walk-on last season. I think I'll be keeping him around again this year. So it could just be you too guys as walk-on's this year. He's a great guy."
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Re: Anything is Possible: Visit with Georgetown!

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:33 pm

Once again, love the screenshots. You're re-purposing them here quite effectively! The Ewing one is a nice touch, too. A travesty he never got a head coaching gig in the NBA.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Anything is Possible: Visit with Georgetown!

Postby RMJH4 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:42 am

Just getting around to replying to these now guys!!

wdt92 wrote:Oh man! What a blow for Mike.

Realistically, even though the Coach was offering help, I completely would understand a kid freaking out and jumping now to try and make a rash decision. From even the shock of that bombshell, I could see him not even able to hear the rest of what the Coach had said after "I select __ over you" and already thinking of what to do next.

It will be interesting to see what happens next for him.

Thanks, this is not an easy path for Shields. There will be plenty more high's and lows over the next few weeks!

Andrew wrote:Wasn't expecting that! Love the detail of the dejected and sleepless scenes in the screenshots as well.

Andrew wrote:When one door closes...

Andrew wrote:Once again, love the screenshots. You're re-purposing them here quite effectively! The Ewing one is a nice touch, too. A travesty he never got a head coaching gig in the NBA.

Thanks Andrew. Yeah I like writing my own version using some of the MyCareer screenshots. I always like to illustrate my stories, so this is a different personal touch to this story. It's a little bit different in that way from my Heart and Hustle story a few years ago. I will add in a few from older MyCareer's too, keep an eye out for those!
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Episode 12: First Practice with the Hoya's

Postby RMJH4 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:40 am

Episode 12: First Practice with the Hoya's

I'm having a quick look around the Thompson Center before practice. It's amazing. It was officially opened in 2016 and dedicated to the famous John R. Thompson, Jr. Renowned Hoya's Coach from 1972-1999.

The Thompson Center contains practice courts, locker rooms, team meeting rooms, lounge areas and coaches' offices for men's and women's basketball. In addition to basketball, the Thompson Center has a weight training facility for all varsity student-athletes, a student-athlete academic center, auditorium and team meeting facilities for all varsity sports programs.

Most of the current Hoya's roster like Marcus Derrickson, Jessie Govan and Kaleb Johnson are here.

The squad is facing a rebuilding year in which they have arguably the lowest expectations of any Big East Conference team. The preseason poll of Big East coaches picked the Hoya's to finish ninth in the 10-team conference, while pundits raised the prospect of the Hoya's doing little better than winning a game or two against St. John's (That would be great!) or DePaul and perhaps going win-less in their 18 conference games. The most optimistic projections had Georgetown finishing at 5–13 in the Big East. From my point of view, I could earn some playing time this year if we are involved in a lot of blowouts.

Four freshmen – guard Jahvon Blair, forwards Jamorko Pickett and Antwan Walker, and 7-foot-3 (221-cm) center Chris Sodom – have just joined the team. Two upperclassmen also arrived: Redshirt senior guard Trey Dickerson came to Georgetown from South Dakota as a graduate transfer, eligible to play immediately, while senior guard Greg Malinowski transferred to Georgetown from William and Mary; Malinowski will have to sit out the 2017–2018 season in accordance with NCAA rules, but he plans to play for Georgetown as a redshirt senior in 2018-2019.

Jamarko Pickett was a 4 star recruit from Athlete Institute Basketball Academy in Toronto, ON. He's a big dude at 6'7. I'll have my work cut out matching up with him! But this is the year to try and establish myself with Malinowski and Trey Mourning returning next year.

Assistant coach Louis Orr introduced me to a few guys like Marcus, Jagan and Jonathan. They were very friendly and said they looked forward to working with me this week. But they won’t hold anything back, as this is their preseason.

It was a tough session but I held my own. We didn't scrimmage, but I think I showed enough in the shooting drills and 3 v 3 games. Jessie Govan the big center commended me afterwards on my strength on the block. I wanted to show I could play anywhere and make the right play always. I could really pass the rock, so I wanted to show that off.

Coach Ewing said he would abandon John Thompson III's deliberate "Princeton offense" and move Georgetown's game toward an uptempo, NBA-style offense favored by NBA scouts and more suitable to the playing style of contemporary players. He also promised a more physical defense of the type that both Georgetown and the original Big East Conference had been known for in their 1980s heyday. So even in the 3 v 3 I had to show off my defensive prowess. Competing on every play and every lose ball. I can't wait for 5 v 5 till I show off my speed and athleticism.

RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Episode 13: Hoya Madness!

Postby RMJH4 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:42 am

Episode 13: Hoya Madness!

The Georgetown University men's and women's basketball teams ran the annual Hoya Madness celebration tonight tipping off the 2017-18 season. The featured rap artist tonight was Meek Mills. He had the honor of introducing the squads.

The free event was open to all Georgetown students, and those in attendance received Jordan brand t-shirts as well as light-up beaded necklaces. Attendees were treated to performances by dance groups GU Jawani and Groove Theory as they entered the arena. Both the Georgetown cheerleaders and pep band performed later on. One of the main features was a shooting contest with teams consisting of each class making four shots and a half-court shot. The Junior's won resulting in the other teams dancing to "In My Feelings" by Drake.

The women's team was introduced first as the players showed off their dance moves before Head Coach James Howard came out to "Ain't No Stopping Us Now" by McFadden Whitehead and "Let Me Clear My Throat" by DJ Kool. He gave a message of support for both teams.

"We're 17 deep and need the students to come out and support both teams. Just remember, if you aren't on board, you're going to get left behind."

After the words of encouragement from Howard, our men's team had the chance to dance through the smoke and lights giving the fans their first look at the 2017-18 Hoyas. The introductions concluded with the most famous Hoya of all-time, Head Coach Patrick Ewing, beginning his first year on the Hilltop and entering the stage to "Jump Around" by House of Pain.

Ewing thanked the crowd for coming out and encouraged them to support both basketball teams this season saying, "We want the University to support us, we want DC to support us."

He finished up announcing that all students with a valid Georgetown ID would receive free tickets to the men's home opener on Nov. 6.

The event wrapped up with Meek Mill's performance.

Then it was game time. Blue vs White (Or Grey in this case) I was on the Grey team. I was pretty nervous before stepping back out on court but Ra'Mond Hines gave me a few nice encouraging words in the tunnel before-hand. He's really going to be important in my time here. Lights go out. Here we go...

I was introduced along with my 'Grey' teammates, Jahvon Blair, Ra'Mond Hines, Antwan Walker and Chris Sodom. Then it was game time. Coach Orr was coaching us and he gave me the start at small forward!

I duly repaid his faith by getting the open bucket of the scrimmage by beating Jamorko Pickett of the dribble and laying it up.

I was pretty darn quiet for the next 20 minutes, as Coach Orr and Coach Ewing got everyone rotating regularily and trying us out at different spots. When I went to Power Forward, I threw down a nasty dunk over starting two guard Kaleb Johnson!

Great night overall and I left the crowd and the coaches with a small taste of what I could do. Let's see what happens next week in our season opener against Buffalo in the Capital One Arena.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Re: Anything is Possible: Hoya Madness!

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:48 pm

St. John's made a huge mistake. Nice idea using NBA 2K17 for some college scenes, too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

November Recap

Postby RMJH4 on Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:18 am

Hoyas start out 5-0, beat MAC’s Buffalo Bulls in opener.

The Hoyas have had a superb start to their 2017-2018 campaign with 5 wins in their first 5 non-conference games. They started with a hard fought 73-67 win against Buffalo. Marcus Derrickson and Jessie Govan led the way against the Bulls who are heavily favoured to win the Mid Atlantic Conference. Govan has a 20 point and 15 rebound double-double. They followed that up by demolishing Mount St Marys 102-68. Govan again pouring in a 20 points, 14 rebound double-double.

Onto face Maryland Eastern Shore next and again a solid 83-57 victory. This time Kaleb Johnson led the way with 24 points, but Govan’s 14 rebounds kept the visitors at bay in the Capital One Center. The Hoyas then went on the road for the first time to face Richmond in the Robins Center. Richmond held the lead for most of the game, but Marcus Derrickson performed some late game heroics to turn the tide in the Hoyas favour late on. The Hoyas won 82-76 over a strong Richmond side.

The last game in this stretch was vs Maine in D.C. again. Maine put a strong performance in the 1st half, but Kaleb Johnson had another strong performance with 18 points. Georgetown were orchestrated well again by point guard Jonathan Mulmore who has had at least 5 assists in every game so far. Mulmore will be an important sixth man for the Hoyas this season. Hoyas ran out 76-55 winners in the end.

The feature game for November is the big win in the home opener against the strong Buffalo Bulls:

Hoyas beat Buffalo Bulls in home opener.

BUF@GU

Buffalo: 67
(Massinburg 15, Harris 12, Clark 11)
Georgetown: 73
(Derrickson 20, Govan 20, Johnson 12)

Rebounds:
Buffalo: Ikenna Smart 12
Georgetown: Jessie Govan 15

Assists:
Buffalo: Wes Clark 6
Georgetown: Johnathan Mulmore 7

Highlight of the Month

#13 Mike Shields makes his debut against Buffalo. He scored 6 points, and had 3 rebounds and 2 assists in 9 minutes, an outstanding start for the Walk - On.

Last 5 Games:
Vs Buffalo 73-67 W
Vs Mount St. Marys 102-68 W
Vs Maryland Eastern Shore 83-57 W
@ Richmond 82-76 W
Vs Maine 76-55 W

Shields' stats for last 5 games:
Vs Buffalo - 6 pts, 3 rebs, 2 asts, 9 mins
Vs Mount St. Marys - 3 pts, 2 rebs, 8 mins
Vs Maryland Eastern Shore - 4 rebs, 2 asts, 8 mins
@ Richmond – 2 rebs, 4 mins
Vs Maine - 4 pts, 2 asts, 2 rebs 8 mins
Last edited by RMJH4 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:56 am

See, now you're breaking the immersion of MyCAREER. Even at 60 Overall, you should be a star and the story all about you!

Seriously though, good stuff.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby TGsoGood on Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:51 pm

Ok I like what I'm seeing.
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RMJH4 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:21 pm

Andrew wrote:See, now you're breaking the immersion of MyCAREER. Even at 60 Overall, you should be a star and the story all about you!

Seriously though, good stuff.

Haha yeah I don't know what I was thinking! I was a walk-on at a University here in Ireland so I know how difficult it can be to get playing time, and you have to maximise your output when you get it!Thanks!

TGsoGood wrote:Ok I like what I'm seeing.

Thanks Man, good to see you following too. Gonna get a few more twists and turn along the way, will try to integrate few different features in here.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

December Recap

Postby RMJH4 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:04 am

Hoyas continue feasting on weak schedule, improve to 10-1 to end Non-conference regular season.

Georgetown followed up their 5-0 start with wins over Coppin State, Howard, and North Carolina A&T. Georgetown cruised to easy wins in all four games. The Coppin State game was the Hoyas fourth consecutive and fourth overall appearance in the annual BB&T Classic, and they improved their all-time record in the Classic to 4–0. Jessie Govan had a season-high 26 points and a career-high 16 rebounds against Coppin State, 24 points against Howard in a game in which he tied his career best with 16 rebounds and also blocked three shots, and 22 points and 15 rebounds against North Carolina A&T. Kaleb Johnson scored 18 against Howard on 6-for-6 shooting from the field, including 2-for-2 from three-point range, and a 4-for-4 performance from the free-throw line – and he finished with 10 points against North Carolina A&T. Marcus Derrickson had 13 points against Coppin State, and he contributed 16 points and nine rebounds against Howard. Jamorko Pickett finished with 13 points against Coppin State and 12 against North Carolina A&T.

North Carolina A&T's loss to Georgetown dropped the Aggies to 5–4, but they were the only team with a winning record the Hoyas have faced so far this season. Defeating North Carolina A&T gave Georgetown an 8–0 record and made the Hoyas one of only six NCAA Division I teams without a loss this season.

The Hoyas had a week off before facing Syracuse, Georgetown's archrival in the original Big East, and during that week the letter "S" was "prohibited" on the Georgetown campus, being covered over or X-ed out everywhere it appeared on a sign. The game was Georgetown's only real challenge of the non-conference schedule, and it pitted Patrick Ewing against Jim Boeheim – Syracuse's head coach back in Ewing's playing days at Georgetown – as head coaches for the first time, prompting nostalgia about the early 1980s heyday of the original Big East Conference. Neither team led by more than five points during the first half and the Hoyas held a 28–24 lead at halftime. Georgetown pulled out to a 53–40 lead in the second half before the Orange, led by freshman small forward Oshae Brissett – who scored only one point in the first half but 24 after halftime – began a comeback, going on a 5–0 scoring run to close the gap to 53–45 with 9:55 remaining in regulation. Georgetown still led 64–57 when Marcus Derrickson fouled out with 5:23 left in the second half.

With a minute left in regulation, Georgetown freshman forward Mike Shields stripped the ball from Oshae Brissett and scored on a layup to tie the game 69–69, and then Syracuse missed three straight shots and the game remained tied at 69–69 at the end of regulation. Syracuse sophomore guard Tyus Battle led the Orange in overtime, scoring eight points after the end of regulation, including a three-pointer that put Syracuse ahead for good at 72–69. Syracuse, which had outscored Georgetown 29–15 after Derrickson fouled out, won 86–79, dealing the Hoyas their first loss of the season. The win snapped a two-game Orange losing streak against the Hoyas and was their first road win against Georgetown since 2011. Jessie Govan had 21 points and eight rebounds and logged a career-high 42 minutes, Jagan Mosely came off the bench to add 20 points, Marcus Derrickson had 14 points and eight rebounds, and Jamorko Pickett scored 12 points.

The Hoyas completed their non-conference schedule with two more home games, beating North Texas in the first meeting between the schools and then defeating winless Alabama A&M. Against North Texas, with Ewing's former New York Knicks teammate John Starks looking on from the stands, Marcus Derrickson led the Hoyas with 17 points and Jessie Govan had his ninth career double-double and seventh double-double of the season with 12 points and 14 rebounds, while Jonathan Mulmore finished with 12 points and six assists. Against Alabama A&M, Jessie Govan had another double-double (11 points and 11 rebounds), his eighth of the season and the tenth of his career, while Jamorko Pickett and Kaleb Johnson added 10 points each.

The Hoyas completed their non-conference schedule with a 10–1 record, their best start to a season since they opened 10–1 in 2012–2013. However, their strength of schedule was 350th among the 351 teams after they defeated North Texas and fell to 351st and last after they beat Alabama A&M. Sports pundits understood Ewing's desire to pad the team's schedule given its limited prospects for the season and its need to rebuild in terms of both talent and confidence.

The feature game for December is the overtime loss vs Syracuse Orange:

Orange beat Hoyas to snap two game loss streak.

SYR@GU

Syracuse: 86
(Battle 29, Brissett 25, Howard 19)
Georgetown: 79
(Govan 21, Mosley 20, Derrickson 14)

Rebounds:
Syracuse: O'Shae Brissett 14
Georgetown: Jessie Govan 8

Assists:
Syracuse: Frank Howard 9
Georgetown: Jahvon Blair 5

Highlight of the Month

#13 Mike Shields steals and finished off the layup to tie the game 69-69 with a minute remaining.

Last 6 Games:
Vs Coppin State 76-60 W
Vs Howard 81-67 W
Vs North Carolina A&T 83–74 W
Vs Syracuse 79–86 L
Vs North Texas 75–63 W
Vs Alabama A&M 89–49

Shields' stats for last 6 games:
Vs Coppin State - 3 pts, 1 reb, 1 ast, 4 mins
Vs Howard - 5 pts, 3 rebs, 9 mins
Vs North Carolina A&T - 5 rebs, 2 asts, 8 mins
Vs Syracuse – 6 pts, 3 rebs, 2 stls 9 mins
Vs North Texas - 4 pts, 4 rebs 9 mins
Vs Alabama A&M - 10 pts, 1 reb, 12 mins
Last edited by RMJH4 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Chris Sodom Dismissed from Georgetown

Postby RMJH4 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:29 am

Georgetown basketball dismisses freshman center over violation of team rules.

Georgetown announced Tuesday that center Chris Sodom has been dismissed from the men’s basketball team over a violation of team rules.

Sodom, a 7-foot-3 freshman originally from Nigeria, played 47 minutes over six games, averaging 4.7 points and 2.3 rebounds. He played ten minutes in the overtime loss to Syracuse, pulling down one rebound midway through the first half.

Georgetown did not give further details on the reason for Sodom’s dismissal.

Rated as a three- or four-star recruit, Sodom originally committed to New Mexico but reopened his search after the school fired coach Craig Neal. He chose Georgetown and new Coach Patrick Ewing in May.

Sodom’s departure thins Georgetown’s contingent of big-man reserves, with only two forwards remaining on its bench. They are sophomore walk-on George Muresan 6'9 and freshman walk-on Mike Shields 6'8. Shields play in recent weeks has been promising, and Ewing now needs Shields and Muresan to step up in Sodom's absence.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Re: Anything is Possible: Hoyas improve to 10-1.

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:56 am

Looks like this is your opportunity!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

December 27 - January 9 Recap

Postby RMJH4 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:07 am

Hoyas start 2-3 in Big East.

Georgetown completed its eight-game homestand and opened its Big East season on December 27 with a 91–89 double-overtime loss to Butler, despite pulling out to a 20-point lead in the first half and holding a 42-24 lead over the Bulldogs at halftime; Marcus Derrickson (23 points and 11 rebounds) and Jesse Govan (19 points and 13 rebounds) both had double-doubles, and Jahvon Blair went 11-for-12 from the free-throw line and scored 17 points. The Hoyas then embarked on a two-game road trip in which they finished 2017 with a loss at Marquette and began 2018 with their first conference victory of the season in a game at DePaul. Derrickson scored 20 points at Marquette, and 24 at DePaul, while Kaleb Johnson finished with 12 points at Marquette and Jahvon Blair had a 15-point game against DePaul. Govan had double-doubles in both games, with 11 points and 12 rebounds at Marquette and 25 points and 12 boards at DePaul.

Georgetown returned to Capital One Arena for a one-sided loss to Creighton in which the Hoyas trailed from the opening basket and the Bluejays led by double figures from halfway through the first half through the end of the game; with 11 points, Jahvon Blair was the only Hoya to score in double figures, while Kaleb Johnson grabbed 10 rebounds. Three days later, Georgetown visited Madison Square Garden and defeated St. John's to improve to 2–3 in conference play; Govan had another double-double, scoring 18 points and pulling down 13 rebounds, Derrickson added 17 points, and freshman Mike Shields contributed 13 against the team that cut him in the summer. With former St. John's head coach Lou Carnesecca in the stands, the two teams played a lackluster game that betrayed how far the two programs had fallen since their mid-1980s heyday in the original Big East Conference when Carnesecca coached the Red Storm. However, the meeting was the first between former NBA stars Ewing and Mitch Richmond as coaches. The game also marked the return of Ewing to Madison Square Garden, where he had played with the New York Knicks in the NBA, and it prompted much nostalgia about both the old Big East and Ewing's 15-year Knicks career; the crowd cheered heartily for Ewing from the moment he came out onto the court and chanted "Patrick! Patrick!" as he exited after the conclusion of the game.

The feature game is the win vs St Johns in Madison Square Garden:

Hoyas beat the Johnnies in battle of MSG.

GU@SJU

Georgetown: 69
(Govan 18, Derrickson 17, Shields 13)
St Johns: 66
(Ponds 17, Simon 16, Clark Jr. 15)

Rebounds:
Georgetown: Jessie Govan 13
St Johns: Marvin Clark Jr. 7

Assists:
Georgetown: Jagan Mosley 5
St Johns: Shamorie Ponds 6

Highlight of the Night.

#13 Mike Shields make's the tough And1 play over Center Tariq Owens. Shields scored a season high 13 points tonight.

Last 5 Games:
Vs Butler 91-89 L
@ Marquette 65-74 L
@DePaul 90–81 W
Vs Creighton 90–66 L
@ St John’s 69-66 W

Shields' stats for last 5 games:
Vs Butler - 3 pts, 1 reb, 4 mins
@ Marquette - 4 pts, 2 rebs, 9 mins
@DePaul - 1 pt, 6 rebs, 2 blks, 8 mins
Vs Creighton – 8 pts, 4 rebs, 2 asts 11 mins
@ St John’s - 13 pts, 4 rebs, 1 blk, 1 stl, 1 ast, 12 mins
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Re: Anything is Possible: Hoyas improve to 10-1.

Postby RMJH4 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:11 am

Andrew wrote:Looks like this is your opportunity!

Oh Yeah, got to take it now!!
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Episode 14: The Big Break!

Postby RMJH4 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:45 am

Episode 14: The Big Break!

12pm. Patrick Ewing's Office.

"Mike, the very man, come on in! "

"Thanks Coach."

"How you feeling Mike? "

"Good Coach, just finished up with class for the day. Heading to the weights room after lunch.

"Focused on putting in the work as usual. Good to hear. How's your GPA these day's?"

"It's pretty good coach. 3.7 I think at the moment. I've always been taught by my parents to value my education. Incase this basketball things doesn't pan out."

"Well I'm glad you've mentioned all of that actually Mike. Firstly, you have one of the highest GPA's on the team, and we need that to help a few of our guys that are struggling. Our team is treading water with academic scores this semester. Secondly you know we had to dismiss Chris last week due to violations of his academic contract right?"

"Yes sir, I know, it's unfortunate. Sometimes studying that little bit extra instead of heading out every day with the guys is the right idea."

"Yeah, you seem to have the balance right Mike. We like that here at Georgetown. Infact, I've just been off the phone with Mr. Young the athletic director. He has managed to get Chris's scholarship voided."

"Oh wow, right. Apologies, I'm not used to how the system works over here Coach, what does that mean exactly?"

"Well it means we now have a partial scholarship for the remainder of the year to offer... And we'd like to offer it to you Mike!"

"Yes sir, Wow I will gladly accept that! Thanks so much! Really appreciate this gesture!"

"It's not just a gesture Mike. I really value what you've brought to the team this year. Commitment, courage, total focus on your studies and basketball. It's what I want to see. Things have a funny way of working theirselves out. God's plan."

"Absolutely Coach! This means the world to me. Genuinely. I can't wait to contact my parents and tell them the good news. I'm sure the rest of the team will be delighted I don't have to crash on their sofa's every night now!"

"Well I have Chris' old dorm cleared out for you and you can move in when ready. Can you cook?"

"Sure can, well some simple home recipes, Irish Country Stew and then some generic stuff too. I won't go hungry!"

"Sounds great Mike. You can get on with the rest of your day now. I might organise an individual workout for you next week if it suits? You're doing a good job posting up, I want to show you a couple of things that you can use. Heard a lot of positive things about your game in MSG last week. Things from people in high places. Keep doing what you're doing Mike."

"I'd be honored Coach. I appreciate all the time you've given me this season. Delighted to hear others are seeing what I can do too."

"Good things happen to good people Mike, and you're one of them. See you later kid."
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Georgetown Surprises Freshman Walk-On Mike Shields With Scholarship

Postby RMJH4 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:04 am

Georgetown Surprises Freshman Walk-On Mike Shields With Scholarship.

Georgetown (CBS) — Georgetown head basketball coach Patrick Ewing was in a giving mood on Thursday.

After the Hoyas hit the practice floor, Ewing called all the team in to have a conversation before starting. Nobody knew what to expect,except for freshman forward Mike Shields.

Ewing had a big surprise for his team, and his talented walk-on: A scholarship for Shields. All of Shields' teammates mobbed him after they finally realized what the piece of paper he had just been handed actually meant.

“I was happy to award Mike a scholarship because he has proven to be a high-caliber young man who fits the culture of our program to a tee,” Ewing said on Thursday. “It has as much the do with way he carries himself off the court as the way he has played on the court. I am so proud of him.”

Shields has been one of the biggest surprises for the 12-4 Hoyas. He’s fresh off of scoring a season-high 13 points in Georgetown’s 69-66 win over St John's in MSG, and is is averaging 4.4 points and 3.1 rebounds this season in only 8.9 minutes of playing time.

A Dublin, Ireland native, Shields' had originally registered with St Johns university and was selected as a walk-on, until Head Coach Chris Mullin resigned suddenly. Interim Head Coach Mitch Richmond didn't want Shields. New Georgetown Head Coach Patrick Ewing gained information about Shields' performance at a showcase in Queens from Carmelo Anthony, who personally recommended him to Ewing.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Re: Anything is Possible: Shields gets Scholarship!

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:17 am

The win over St. Johns is quite poetic. Hoping there's another showdown now that you've got the scholarship.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Anything is Possible: Shields gets Scholarship!

Postby Breems on Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:05 pm

Great job with this story! Just caught up and looking forward to more.
Breems
Back in my day...

Previous

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood