NBA Live 19 Community Impressions & Reviews

Talk about NBA Live 19 here.

Re: NBA Live 19 Community Impressions & Reviews

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:03 am

I prefer not having to hold the button down, so I can concentrate on making my move. I'm glad they made it more like 2K's controls in that respect.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:12 am

After not playing NBA live for a couple of weeks picking it up again and finally getting some real playing time in I can see the improvements that the Devs have being making to not only the gameplay but player likenesses as well, it's the small thing that makes for an enjoyable game.

Blocks still can be a problem when going against a good shot blocker but they seem to of fixed it so non shot blockers don't look like Mutombo blocking a dunk anymore but I think I need to adjust the sliders a bit, definitely need to up the user blocks as I can't seem to stop anyone anymore however steals on Superstar are still a huge problem, you can't pass to the corners without it been a 50/50 chance of been stolen.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby StyxTx on Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:46 am

I'm pretty fed up with defenders who are behind the person I'm throwing the ball to somehow managing to steal the ball.
StyxTx

Postby mp3 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:24 am

Stealing by the cpu on Superstar level is a joke, it's still a major problem. I was playing away Vs the Warriors and they had a hand on almost every pass. Even tho it sucked the amount of turnovers I was getting due to steals it's the no look steals that I hate, you draw the 2nd defender over in the post and kick out but out of nowhere the defender with his back turned jumps out and steals the ball
mp3

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:56 am

Cheap steals and blocks are definitely irritating.

Momentum is the other big issue for me. Players still feel a bit heavy and movement feels exaggerated. On the bright side, it does mean better foot planting and less skating, but it also doesn't feel right, or responsive enough. There aren't enough stationery catches on passes. either. Too often, a pass will force a player way out of position, even when the catch shouldn't force them to move at all (or certainly not as far as they end up moving).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:18 pm

Another problem iam encounting more is defensive player speed once the cpu has picked off a pass at the top of the key and blasts down court for an easy 2 while you are running back like your Jerome James. I think it finally hit home when I was the Kings and Fox couldn't even chase down Kris Middleton or get close to him
mp3

Postby StyxTx on Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:53 am

mp3 wrote:Another problem iam encounting more is defensive player speed once the cpu has picked off a pass at the top of the key and blasts down court for an easy 2 while you are running back like your Jerome James. I think it finally hit home when I was the Kings and Fox couldn't even chase down Kris Middleton or get close to him

Who is Jerome James?
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:02 am

A centre that had one decent year for the SuperSonics in the mid 2000s, and then got grossly overpaid by the Knicks; just one of Isiah Thomas' less than stellar moves while he was calling the shots in New York. Among other things, James wasn't known for his speed.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:36 pm

I wish there was better explosion/quickness off of a foot plant on a cut or crossover etc
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:21 pm

That too. Weaker defenders stick with you far too easily, and great ballhandlers still don't feel explosive enough.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:59 am

Andrew wrote:A centre that had one decent year for the SuperSonics in the mid 2000s, and then got grossly overpaid by the Knicks; just one of Isiah Thomas' less than stellar moves while he was calling the shots in New York. Among other things, James wasn't known for his speed.

Ah ok
StyxTx

Postby ThaLiveKing on Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:23 am

[Q] wrote:I wish there was better explosion/quickness off of a foot plant on a cut or crossover etc

I thought this was fine at launch, but now it's ok. I dropped down the difficulty to PRO in Live and I think the game is more true on that level. I had to boost and reduce some sliders to make games more competitive and I think I did ok. But yeah, I went back and looked at some of my launch videos and the game play was MUCH MUCH BETTER overall in terms of pace. They messed with too much.
ThaLiveKing

Postby mp3 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:57 am

StyxTx wrote:
Andrew wrote:A centre that had one decent year for the SuperSonics in the mid 2000s, and then got grossly overpaid by the Knicks; just one of Isiah Thomas' less than stellar moves while he was calling the shots in New York. Among other things, James wasn't known for his speed.

Ah ok

phpBB [video]
mp3

Postby Murat on Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:37 am

Jerome James was reaally slow. I remember seeing him at video games and thought that why the hell he is in the league with a bloated contract. Didn't know much about how terrible GM's Knicks had.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:07 am

Playing Live 19 after a Live 15 and Live 16 was a huge eye opener.

A few things hurt Live 19

1. The constant bumping in Live 19 is a huge flow killer, your ball handler picking up the ball constantly is ridiculous. That doesnt happen in Live 15 and Live 16

2. The passing has a big delay in Live 19. Its not great in Live 15 or 16 either, but it's less delayed because the animations are not so drawn out

3. The graphics are not better overall IMO. Yes, Live 19 has some good faces, and probably more face scans overall, but the atmosphere and lighting is not as good as Live 15 or 16, and the players are missing muscle tone. On Live 15 and Live 16, they have muscle.

4. Canned animations are rampant in Live 19. I feel hardly any of that in Live 15 and 16. I am getting sucked in to players, the paint etc constantly. Canned blocks and steals are constant. It gives the user a far less sense of control.

They really need to bring size-ups back, like they had in Live 10. Size ups you can break put of. They also sorely need better separation moves and player acceleration. Everybody mostly feels the same, and when trying to turn the corner with ANY player, they feel like they are running in mud. No such thing really as a first step, or an effective catch and go.

The pace overall just needs work.

Also, they really should bring back the hangar, the practice gym during loading screens and when you boot up the game. That was a staple to the Live games, I spent like 10 minutes just shooting around with Wade on Live 06 last night, it was fun.

Anyway, just a big eye opener playing all the Live games. Ultimate Team also used to be far more challenging and entertaining to play, I cant stand the new Ultimate Team setup, I dont like the new MyTeam for 2K, either.

Sad Live 20 isnt coming to PC, but I hope we get gameplay improvements and deeper roster content.

And please, allow us to play against other humans locally in a season, and select multiple teams... its 2019.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:40 am

I agree games have always had trouble with acceleration and explosive moves. Perhaps they should make speed ratings like a top speed and a quickness rating to show how quickly they get there.

I also agree the game is full of canimations, and I had no problem with they way they had it before but the problem is that people want it to look sexy and look real and look like 2k but you need canned animations to do that.

I liked way they pieced together the shot animations in 16 and 18 but people complained about how they were too jerky or whatever their excuse was so now I can't seem to hit jumpers consistently
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:55 am

The canned moments are definitely a problem. It's something they need to mask better: https://www.nba-live.com/mto-masking-in ... -gameplay/
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:25 am

[Q] wrote:I liked way they pieced together the shot animations in 16 and 18 but people complained about how they were too jerky or whatever their excuse was so now I can't seem to hit jumpers consistently

I was one of them that complained, and I like the shooting on the move better in Live 19. Players keep shooting form and its more natural.

That's not one of the things I am talking about in regards to animations, I am talking more about being sucked in to other players all the time, incredibly delayed passing, canned blocks and steals, and being dragged into the paint constantly when I am just trying to simply pull up from 16ft. Those are all immersion killers, loss of control for the user is the worst thing that can happen.

In 2K19, the players movement is really poor (Speed breaks, clunky change of direction, skating), and I don't like the gameplay overall. BUT, you are not constantly being sucked into defenders or other players, you are not forced to pick up your dribble all the time, and I can pull up from mid range when and where I want.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby RayRay_953 on Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:32 am

The contesting is horrifically overpowered thanks to the patch, and in addition to the already abundant canned animations, these legitimately made me quit Live 19 (not to mention, I sold almost my entire LUT lineup this year). The anklebreaker cheese is still in here, but it gets worse when the developers themselves taught players that it's a mechanic that should be used whenever possible (the hint was deleted quickly, by the way) that's how you know the developers of Live 19 tried to make the game a competitive experience rather than a simulation title. Not to mention, just about all the feedback comes from the NBA Live Reddit, so unless you have a Reddit account, or you're a game changer, your feedback isn't going to go through.

I recently tweeted about using Bill Russell in LUT 16 and how he got 9 blocks within a full game. None of those blocks were canned animations and were all natural. I can use David Robinson in LUT 19 and get like seven (canned) blocks within 2 MINUTES. If we were to estimate the amount of blocks he would end up with in a full game, he would achieve around FOURTY BLOCKS. Yes, Live 16 actually has canned blocks, but they are so rare that I haven't seen those animations in almost a hundred games.

Control is important in a basketball game, let alone any game in general. When you have all these canned animations, it becomes a matter of who can get the least canned animations, and less on the actual player's skill.
RayRay_953

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:18 pm

Agreed. The shot contests are pretty broken after the latest patch, most noticeably against the CPU. It's turned me off the game as well.

In regards to the passes, one of the biggest issues is momentum. It's almost impossible to make a pass that doesn't force the recipient to move, making it hard to hit players with a pass when and where they need it and giving the defense too much time to recover (or put them in a position to intercept it).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby RayRay_953 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:08 am

Live 19 has become one of my least favorite Live games since 07 on 360, especially since the latest patch made the game unplayable in certain aspects. Here's a list of things I found wrong with Live 19:

- Arguably the worst Ultimate Team in any EA Sports game (bad pack odds, no goodwill - there were three versions of Derrick Rose released; each were $100 toppers)

- Bad soundtrack

- Bare bones roster editing in 2019

- Franchise ignored yet again

- Whenever you boot up the game, it only advertises new content for Live Events, store updates, and Court Battles. Not once has it mentioned anything about the actual NBA aspect or Ultimate Team

- Too much focus on The One to where longtime Live fans will feel alienated

- Canned animations EVERYWHERE

- Shooting is basically impossible unless you're wide open (and even then, the new contest system is so broken that you can literally lose your green when the opposing defender is six feet away from you)

- Current players are rated way better than the legends, which not only defeats the whole purpose of using legends, but it disrespects the legends who are far superior to the modern players

- Dull, dark, and dead atmosphere compared to other Live games

- Commentary is some of the worst I have ever heard in any game (hell, even the recent WWE 2K games have better commentary!)

- Roster updates could be several months late, and for a sports game in 2019, that is inexcusable

- Almost all patches were from feedback in Live Run, and not the actual NBA modes
RayRay_953

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:29 pm

Well put. It's a concerning direction.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Thu May 07, 2020 1:25 am

I've decided to go back to playing nba live 19, as much as i can tolerate nba 2k20 that's all I am doing, tolerating.

Unfortunately I lost my roster save for live 19 but iam working on getting it back to not only where I had it (Feb 20) but taking it further.

Iam currently 5 hours in and I am yet to create a single player yet!

You forget how much work goes into roster modding! It's just a shame EA doesn't have a share system in place so not only can other people use your work but also that if you lose your work you can of saved it online and just re download it.
mp3

Postby Andrew on Thu May 07, 2020 2:06 am

Tell me about it! I've pretty much had to create the entire league making a roster update for NBA 2K11. As for NBA Live 19, the lack of roster sharing functionality really does stick out like a sore thumb.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu May 07, 2020 5:37 am

I think I might still have a roster file for the summer of 2019 plus I added Zion if you want it
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live 19