Toronto Raptors Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Toronto Raptors Thread

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:44 am

Jeffx wrote:
air gordon wrote:way to keep the thread going

Kawhi is already beasting despite not playing one year. got them as a league pass team watchlist (Y)

I like what I'm seeing from Ibaka too.

Great decision not to bring him off the bench. He still has some potential in him.
I Hate Mondays

Postby air gordon on Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:59 am

danny green seems relevant whenever kawhai is playing

And siakam. Wow
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:28 am

Ibaka is benefiting from playing alongside Siakam more, in my opinion. The Raptors are scary, and if they stay healthy they could give Boston a run for it. They seem to have an identity now, more established roles. I feel like Ibaka was limited/bogged down on the defensive and offensive ends while being on the floor with Jonas last season. Now the floor, and paint specifically has opened up for him. He's shooting a much higher percentage so far this season from 3 FT in, and I feel like that's because he has more room to operate.

And obviously Leonard has a much higher defensive upside than Derozan, so that doesn't hurt.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:57 am

Seeing Leonard dominate on both ends shows how they are better with him than demar. Toronto lucked out when they were able to trade an average all star for one of the best players in the league
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:41 am

demar was all nba baby. not sure whats up with Poertl. guess he's getting Popp'd.

big letdown both giannis and lenard both sat out
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby I Hate Mondays on Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:57 pm

The lose against Celtics was not as discouraging as it looked. Come All-Star break, that OT lineup will have 3 times the chemistry they have now and things might turn up very different during the playoffs.
Also, the fact that they have the best record in mid-November is a nice sight for the sore eyes of a Raptors fan. (Yes, I try not to think about the injuries GSW has or the latest Timberwolves-Sixers trade. I will let future me worry about that).
Siakam is a beast. I'd rather have him starting over Valanciunas. Perfect small ball player.
I Hate Mondays

Postby I Hate Mondays on Sun May 26, 2019 7:27 pm

"Gather around kids, let me tell you a story about hustle, how the Raptors got to the NBA Finals.

It all started when we drafted Bargnani..."

Let's goooo boys
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Sun May 26, 2019 8:34 pm

Long-term planning pays off!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby I Hate Mondays on Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:08 pm

I Hate Mondays wrote:"Gather around kids, let me tell you a story about hustle, how the Raptors got to the NBA Finals.

It all started when we drafted Bargnani..."

Let's goooo boys

Edit: * how the Raptors won their first NBA Chip.

Can’t sum up how excited I am about this season. I was very skeptical at first, but now I honestly believe that Masai Ujiri has the biggest balls on the planet. He is the real deal
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:13 pm

Now the question is, do the Wizards manage to pry him away?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby I Hate Mondays on Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:32 pm

Andrew wrote:Now the question is, do the Wizards manage to pry him away?

I don't see him parting ways with the Raptors mainly for the money (I know those headlines with the contract the Wizards are willing to offer him). I see him leaving for the challenge.
And boy oh boy, the Wizards are a real challenge.
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:57 pm

I'd like to see him stay with the Raptors and try to keep the team together, but if he does move on, he did some fine work in Toronto.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:01 pm

When Kawhi trade happened, I was extremely excited for the Raptors, especially with LBJ out from the picture. I kinda foresaw the Raptors were gonna easily stomp over the overrated Celtics en route to the Finals. But emergence of Giannis' Bucks and star studded 76ers played out to be the better story.

What Kawhi and Raptors did to win this chip was truly special and not easy. Kawhi put Giannis out of 'best player' conversation. Overcame a series deficit against the 76ers and barely beat them by a miraculous buzzer beater. Then came back from 0-2 down and beat the Bucks 4 straight. Then everyone's favorite, the Warriors, true goliath, their dynasty was ended, convincingly.

What a feat by the team that has no top 10 drafted player but highest being 15th. Frigging tankers need to learn a thing or two on how to build the team right.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:45 pm

Nobody:

NovU: "I was extremely excited for the Raptors, especially with LBJ out from the picture"
NovU: "Kawhi almost pulled off a nice LBJ's invisible mode, lol."
NovU: "nor has to GM the team like LeBronto"
NovU: "No more LeBronto no moah"
NovU: "Like whole bunch of teams had series lead against LeBurnn in the past "
NovU: "Raptors and Bucks are the proof so was LBJ reigning east for decade prior to this season"
NovU: "People vastly overrated him for winning a championship with LeBurnn. He was never a winner until LBJ joined him"
NovU: "regarded them as top dog to come out of East after shitshowdown against LBJ last year"

That is NovU on JUST Raptors playoff threads this year, and he didn't comment on the first round.

NovU, give the Raptors credit without mentioning LeBron being out of the picture. You literally cannot stop putting him in your posts, and comparing this run to his, or stating that you "knew" because he was out of the picture. The Bucks, 76ers, Raptors and even Celtics would have beat that 17-18 Cavs team as constructed this year. This year the East had stronger top teams than any of LeBrons finals runs. Stop being a casual and a fanboy, it's really annoying.

LeBron is 1-8 in his last 9 finals games. 7 of his 8 straight finals runs were with TWO already established all-stars playing next to him (Three including him), in the weakest east in NBA History

Propping him up like he went full beast mode, or did it himself, or just mentioning him "running through the EAST", and giving him all the credit while Wade, Bosh, Kyrie, and Love were all MAJOR parts of 7 of the 8 finals runs, is EXACTLY the problem with NBA Twitter, and the casual fanbase in general. OF COURSE the Cavs and Heat dominated the East in those years when they had 3 all-stars in a East that was winning about 40% of the games compared to around 60% of the West.

I come to the NLSC to try to get away from the casual, box score watching teenage fans who are heavily influenced by the media, who don't know the game well and constantly prop up a player they are a fanboy over. But I clearly cannot do that.

Comparing his runs constantly with this Raptors team is incredibly silly, and shortsighted. The Eastern Conference was entirely different this year in regards to talent and the top teams. I also try and come here to get away from "LeBurnnn, LeBronto, etc", but clearly that's impossible.

So annoying....
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:50 am

what a run indeed. with the ongoing "load management" for leonard and the trade deadline acquisition of Gasol, it was hard too gauge how good this Raptors team was

do the raptors still get invited to the white house? :crazy:

Ujiri- :bowdown:

good times for Raptors fans
Jump.
air gordon

Postby I Hate Mondays on Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:52 am

I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:41 am

I've seen that pop up in a few places. Can't go past a good Simpsons meme.

So, how do the Raptors fans around these parts feel about Kawhi's departure? Any ill-feeling, or is it all worth it for the championship?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:41 am

I know... Raps fans have been pretty silent now. I imagine it's as bittersweet as you and I'd imagine, but they're probably eternally grateful to him; he'll get a standing O in his return, no question.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Q] on Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:12 pm

Meanwhile, he'll get booed his next Lakers game lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:03 am

Everyone going to ignore that the Raptors had a superstar in Kawhi with all-star level partners in Lowry and Marc Gasol, a potential all-star in Siakam, two dependable role players in Danny Green and Ibaka, VanVleet playing out of his mind in crucial stretches, and Jeremy Lin, like the Raptors didn't follow the current and unfairly criticised championship template of stacking a team with all-stars and having reliable role players around them?
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby air gordon on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:48 am

shadowgrin wrote:Everyone going to ignore that the Raptors had a superstar in Kawhi with all-star level partners in Lowry and Marc Gasol, a potential all-star in Siakam, two dependable role players in Danny Green and Ibaka, VanVleet playing out of his mind in crucial stretches, and Jeremy Lin, like the Raptors didn't follow the current and unfairly criticised championship template of stacking a team with all-stars and having reliable role players around them?

pretty much. not often can you trade off a fringe all star for a MVP candidate and 3&D starter

in hindsight it looks like Ujiri stacked the deck but that trade was the difference. the roster had a lot of question marks before the trade. even the leonard acquisition was questioned by many here lol. same with ibaka's age. lowry coming fresh off another choke job in the playoffs. have to give kudos to Ujiri for drafting well and then getting some luck in the Gasol trade.
Jump.
air gordon

Postby I Hate Mondays on Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:23 am

Andrew wrote:I've seen that pop up in a few places. Can't go past a good Simpsons meme.

So, how do the Raptors fans around these parts feel about Kawhi's departure? Any ill-feeling, or is it all worth it for the championship?

There is a mutual perspective among the Raptors fans that we are super grateful for everything Kawhi did.
We have a nice looking future with Siakam and Dad van Fleet.
I Hate Mondays

Postby NovU on Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:20 am

I was in Toronto during the Finals and was great. People really appreciated the team, championship, and ofc Kawhi. They are rather disappointed than hate Kawhi.

Siakem is something to look forward to even tho team is not gonna contend at the top level for awhile now.

But for now, city is extremely happy with first championship. Last year will be always remembered.

Btw, taking chance is what small market teams supposed to do. Without taking chance on Kawhi, how many more years do you think it would have taken to get their first chip. Possibly at least not for another decade as core players were aging and rebuilding time was coming. Sorry Demar but this was less about you but more about not passing on lifetime chance of adding a top tier player on already a solid squad.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:04 pm

Siakam's contract is already a bargain.
FVF is looking like he forgot The Finals are over.
Interesting season up ahead, I am really excited.
I Hate Mondays

Postby [Q] on Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:56 am

I Hate Mondays wrote:Siakam's contract is already a bargain.
FVF is looking like he forgot The Finals are over.
Interesting season up ahead, I am really excited.

Relax, it was one game. You can't expect Fred to play like that every game. Raps could have easily lost that game in regulation
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball