New Call of Duty to support cross-play across PC, PS4 and Xbox 1

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

New Call of Duty to support cross-play across PC, PS4 and Xbox 1

Postby ThePointForward on Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:23 am

I guess most people already heard about the new CoD - essentially a reboot of Modern Warfare with gritty story etc.

However one new story is pretty impressive - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... -fortnites

Crossplay across PC, PS4 and Xbox 1. While it is not unheard of, after all they use the same approach as Fortnite, it is a big step since this is a big AAA franchise that releases yearly adopting this approach.
Now onto the m+kb vs controllers in FPS game - they're to group players by input method. And I'd assume this will mean native m+kb support on consoles too (like in WoT).

However this could be fairly big for NBA games too. If more games start implementing cross-play, more players might start asking why is there no cross-play in games where input method doesn't matter that much or to be more elaborate where gamepad is the better option anyway.
Of course that would mean investing into anti-cheat measures which didn't seem to be 2K/Take Two's strong suit - NBA 2K is known for it's online PC issues and even major games like GTA 5 didn't fare much better.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Re: New Call of Duty to support cross-play across PC, PS4 and Xbox 1

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:51 am

It'd definitely be huge for the NBA games, and something I'd love to see; especially on PC, since it's tough to get a game on the Australasian PC servers.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:47 pm

Yup, the only issue is that I have a bad feeling they'd not be willing to invest into anti-cheat and either cheaters will destroy the game experience or the cross-play would be across consoles only. Not to mention there's the Switch version which the CoD doesn't have.

I'd have higher hopes for EA in this regard - unifying their userbase would do wonders for Live.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby [Q] on Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:45 am

One other thing to note about this game is that they are removing the loot box mechanics from the game in favor of a battle pass style system. Perhaps we are starting to see the tide turn on loot boxes. They specifically said they wanted to make it transparent what gamers are getting, with everything earnable by just simply playing the game. This is much more like the Fortnite/Apex model minus the loot boxes
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThePointForward on Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:44 pm

I'll believe that in 6 months if they won't add them post-launch.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Return to Off-Topic